Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Doug Marrone new Assistant Head Coach/OL coach

Quote:Tuxedo, i think there were plenty of Bills fans who wanted Marone to stay with the rationaliztion of 9-7 and winning record. PLenty more who felt the D, where Marrone admittedly had little to no involvement, carried the team and won some games that should not have been won based on the performance of the offense in whole, the QBs certainly, and a good bit based on the Offensive line.

But even the folks who wanted him to stay felt burned, as did the players, when after the last game of the year against the Pats scrubs, he preached Bills family, and of the family they had built in the locker room ...and then walked out without so much as a phone call to any of his "family" . The players got a mass text from him much later that night. Several have refeered to the way he left, not that he left...and they to a man have not said anything positive about Marrone.

Also, he supposedly trashed the Bills organization on the way out and somehow influenced Bill Polian to not take a job within the organization.

I think most Bills fans would root for the Jags and want you all to succeed...we too are sick of the same teams every year.

I hope this works for you guys, my gut says Saint Doug(as he referred to himself if he could get Syracuse and Buffalo winning records) got knocked down a peg and learned a ton....i think i good hire for you guys

Dont get me wrong, I thought Marrone was a mediocre run of the mill type head coach. However, the sheer amount of "lol Jags" and "terrible hire" comments from Bills fans is a bit different considering fans seemed fairly split on him when he was your head coach. It speaks more so to the way he left, which (no offense) is irrelevant to us in terms getting better offensively, rather than how he actually was as a coach.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I wonder if Marrone leaving Buffalo and coming here is as much of an indictment/endorsement of the respective front offices as it is him trying to bounce back career wise.

I don't know where he stood on the selection of Manuel, but he was clearly opposed to trading this year's first round pick to move up to get Watkins in a WR deep draft.
The Watkins piece has been refuted by many...but clearly Marrone and Whaley(Bills GM) did not see eye to eye...most likely a big reason he opted out

I'm not here to taunt, but this is the story -- Marrone did an "ok" job as the Bills HC.  Most reasonable fans were "ok" with him returning next year, but you would be hard pressed to find anyone who was excited about him being the coach.  When he opted out it was more a case of "ok, who can we get" than "oh no, why did he leave?"

Marrone inherited a defense full of talent.  He successfully lured Mike Pettine away from the Jets to lead that unit, and then when Pettine took the Cleveland job he hired Jim Schwartz.  Those were excellent moves.

Offense is a completely different story.  The Bills were overly conservative; Marrone's game day decisions left much to be desired.  The team played tough and were resilient; that's why most gave him a pass.  The criticisms of how he utilized personnel were warranted, in my opinion.  He couldn't find a way to use CJ Spiller.  He didn't get Sammy Watkins the ball enough.  By all accounts he spent most of his time in practice with the OL, and that unit progressively got worse during his tenure.  You don't have to take my word for it; go to a site like PFF and see for yourself.  That should be a concern for Jags fans -- this guy is supposedly an OL guru and our unit was terrible across the board.  Almost every player on offense regressed last year.

As things have sorted themselves out over the past two and a half weeks, I can tell you that almost unanimously Bills fans feel the team improved significantly and we are now "happy" Marrone left.  Does that mean he won't do a good job coaching your OL?  I have no idea, but those of you "hoping" Gus is fired and Marrone steps in as HC better be wary of what you wish for.

On the plus side -- Marrone loves to punt, so he probably liked that you spent a high round draft pick on your punter a couple of years ago.

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2015, 02:52 PM by Ringo.)

Jag fans debating with Bills fans...classic. We can return again next year during the playoffs, since we won't be doing anything else.
Blakes Life Matters

Quote:If this is supposed to kill my argument about the offense leaving our D out to dry...

Being the 11th worst time of possession team doesn't prove my point?

It's not good, but it's a far cry from the "it was a miracle" hyperbole you were using.

Quote:Dont get me wrong, I thought Marrone was a mediocre run of the mill type head coach. However, the sheer amount of "lol Jags" and "terrible hire" comments from Bills fans is a bit different considering fans seemed fairly split on him when he was your head coach. It speaks more so to the way he left, which (no offense) is irrelevant to us in terms getting better offensively, rather than how he actually was as a coach.

Sounds like Eugene monroe

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2015, 02:54 PM by Edjax.)

^^ thanks for your expert opinion. Gosh I sure wish Gus would have chatted with your first. Meant for eball above

Quote:Dont get me wrong, I thought Marrone was a mediocre run of the mill type head coach. However, the sheer amount of "lol Jags" and "terrible hire" comments from Bills fans is a bit different considering fans seemed fairly split on him when he was your head coach. It speaks more so to the way he left, which (no offense) is irrelevant to us in terms getting better offensively, rather than how he actually was as a coach.
Agreed

Quote:Jag fans debating with Bills fans...classic. We can return again next year during the playoffs, since we won't be doing anything else.
:woot:  :woot:   Aint that the truth brother...maybe we can dream of figuring out ways the Pats cheated both us in consecutive playoff games next year

Quote:I'm not here to taunt, but this is the story -- Marrone did an "ok" job as the Bills HC.  Most reasonable fans were "ok" with him returning next year, but you would be hard pressed to find anyone who was excited about him being the coach.  When he opted out it was more a case of "ok, who can we get" than "oh no, why did he leave?"

Marrone inherited a defense full of talent.  He successfully lured Mike Pettine away from the Jets to lead that unit, and then when Pettine took the Cleveland job he hired Jim Schwartz.  Those were excellent moves.

Offense is a completely different story.  The Bills were overly conservative; Marrone's game day decisions left much to be desired.  The team played tough and were resilient; that's why most gave him a pass.  The criticisms of how he utilized personnel were warranted, in my opinion.  He couldn't find a way to use CJ Spiller.  He didn't get Sammy Watkins the ball enough.  By all accounts he spent most of his time in practice with the OL, and that unit progressively got worse during his tenure.  You don't have to take my word for it; go to a site like PFF and see for yourself.  That should be a concern for Jags fans -- this guy is supposedly an OL guru and our unit was terrible across the board.  Almost every player on offense regressed last year.

As things have sorted themselves out over the past two and a half weeks, I can tell you that almost unanimously Bills fans feel the team improved significantly and we are now "happy" Marrone left.  Does that mean he won't do a good job coaching your OL?  I have no idea, but those of you "hoping" Gus is fired and Marrone steps in as HC better be wary of what you wish for.

On the plus side -- Marrone loves to punt, so he probably liked that you spent a high round draft pick on your punter a couple of years ago.
The few idiots hoping Gus is fired and Marrone take over are just that; idiots. 

Marrone hasn't been hired to run the offense.  He's a definite upgrade over what we had last year as an OL coaching staff, and he's got a good young core of guys at key positions to work with.

Marrone's love of punting is completely irrelevant to what he'll be tasked with here. Good thing you didn't come here to taunt.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2015, 03:06 PM by DewtheMathis.)

If Marrone wont be the OC only OLine Coach & asst HC...

That has me wondering who will they bring in as the OC????

Quote:I'm not here to taunt, but this is the story -- Marrone did an "ok" job as the Bills HC. Most reasonable fans were "ok" with him returning next year, but you would be hard pressed to find anyone who was excited about him being the coach. When he opted out it was more a case of "ok, who can we get" than "oh no, why did he leave?"

Marrone inherited a defense full of talent. He successfully lured Mike Pettine away from the Jets to lead that unit, and then when Pettine took the Cleveland job he hired Jim Schwartz. Those were excellent moves.

Offense is a completely different story. The Bills were overly conservative; Marrone's game day decisions left much to be desired. The team played tough and were resilient; that's why most gave him a pass. The criticisms of how he utilized personnel were warranted, in my opinion. He couldn't find a way to use CJ Spiller. He didn't get Sammy Watkins the ball enough. By all accounts he spent most of his time in practice with the OL, and that unit progressively got worse during his tenure. You don't have to take my word for it; go to a site like PFF and see for yourself. That should be a concern for Jags fans -- this guy is supposedly an OL guru and our unit was terrible across the board. Almost every player on offense regressed last year.

As things have sorted themselves out over the past two and a half weeks, I can tell you that almost unanimously Bills fans feel the team improved significantly and we are now "happy" Marrone left. Does that mean he won't do a good job coaching your OL? I have no idea, but those of you "hoping" Gus is fired and Marrone steps in as HC better be wary of what you wish for.

You say you come here not to 'taunt' yet you reference our selection of the punter in the draft a couple years ago thinking that you won't get an arouse of some fans...

I'm not listening to a word you say. I have my own opinion and I trust it. I like this hire and I'm excited to see what happens next. Have fun looking for a QB. We already have one.

Have a nice day.
Shock the world

Quote:^^ thanks for your expert opinion. Gosh I sure wish Gus would have chatted with your first. Meant for eball above

I'm sure Doug had his excuses all lined up for Gus as to why the Bills' OL stunk.

I'm just telling it like it is; I'm not rooting against the Jags (until they play the Bills).

The competence of Doug Marrone as an NFL coach is certainly debatable.

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2015, 03:06 PM by DewtheMathis.)

Quote:The few idiots hoping Gus is fired and Marrone take over are just that; idiots. 

Marrone hasn't been hired to run the offense.  He's a definite upgrade over what we had last year as an OL coaching staff, and he's got a good young core of guys at key positions to work with.

Marrone's love of punting is completely irrelevant to what he'll be tasked with here. 

Okay, I feel its a good hire by GM Dave Caldwell.. The team needed a great Oline coach, and they get a guy that has that & HC experince....

Im still confused as to who is the OC though?

Quote:I'm sure Doug had his excuses all lined up for Gus as to why the Bills' OL stunk.

I'm just telling it like it is; I'm not rooting against the Jags (until they play the Bills).

The competence of Doug Marrone as an NFL coach is certainly debatable.
His competence as a position coach is not.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:You say you come here not to 'taunt' yet you reference our selection of the punter in the draft a couple years ago thinking that you won't get an arouse of some fans...

I'm not listening to a word you say. I have my own opinion and I trust it. I like this hire and I'm excited to see what happens next. Have fun looking for a QB. We already have one.

Have a nice day.

The punting comment is obviously a jab at Marrone, not the Jags.  I realize he's not calling your plays.

Like I said, go see the Bills' OL rankings on PFF for yourself.  That was Marrone's baby.

Nothing says "bitter fans" than them coming to your board and posting. 

Huh

Quote:I am bit confused he's not the OC right?  So the team still needs an OC.... or is Marrone going to do 3 jobs, OLine coach, Asst HC & OC?

Did you bother to read the article reporting his hiring?

Quote:It's not good, but it's a far cry from the "it was a miracle" hyperbole you were using.
The issue is our O wasn't lacking talent overall. A decent crew of RB's. A pretty good WR group. An average, maybe slightly above average TE. Orton is Orton. The skill positions were strong enough to have at least a middle of the road offense. My gripe with Marrone, all year, not just after he left, was his mismanagement of the offense and it led to us just missing out on playoffs.

Honestly, I have no idea how he is as a pure OL coach. Ultimately, like anything else, if you have good players, he'll seem okay. And I do really wish you guys well...even if you have that quitter on your staff, haha! See you in London!

With due respect to Bills fans, this is all I need to see...

Quote: 

Marrone was the offensive coordinator for the New Orleans Saints from 2006-2008, and coached the New York Jets’ offensive line under head coach Herm Edwards from 2002-2005. He worked for Saints Head Coach Sean Peyton while in New Orleans.

While OC for New Orleans, the offenses were ranked thusly...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nor/

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:Okay, let me get this straight they hire a fantastic Offensive Line coach whom is a former Head Coach to be the OL coach & asst HC to Gus?

What's wrong with that?
Nothing.

Jilted Jills fans are just venting.  That's all.