Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Toby Gerhart is not an NFL caliber RB

Quote:Relax dude. If you based everything off one game or one outcome, you're not going to make it very far. If Gerhart had run for 125 and 2 TDs what would you be saying? "Great signing! I knew it all along!"

Get a grip and lets see how he does in game 2.

I am relaxed. I merely stated my opinion and had to adamantly defend my position due to the drove of lemmings that gather once an opinion is formed of any capacity that opposes the worldly view they try to impose.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I am relaxed. I merely stated my opinion and had to adamantly defend my position due to the drove of lemmings that gather once an opinion is formed of any capacity that opposes the worldly view they try to impose.

Like when you were completely wrong about the ZBS teams featuring scat backs"?
;

;

The fact that somebody even opened a thread like this is ridiculous. One game...... the OL stunk it up....... Henne had a great 1st half and not so great 2nd half....... coaching mistakes were made admittedly, and yet there are those that would just as soon take Toby Gerhart behind the barn and put him out of his misery after one stinking game. This accusing person was probably totally excited about the upcoming season and after one game, is down on the starting RB as if he had the power to get yardage when most of time the OL failed to open any running lanes. So, if Toby has a great game on Sunday.....should he still be traded away or benched at the very least?

Those who are calling for his head already are the most impatient sports fans in all of football.

Quote:I know that I made a thread similar to this a few weeks ago, but now my opinion has changed. I was giving Gerhart the benefit of the doubt, seeing as if I had never seen him start a game in the NFL. But now I think we can all agree that the dude is slow and ineffective. I understand that our line is trash (it has been for the past 6 years) And that he supposedly his ankle was hurt. But if you're given the title of a starting RB in the NFL, and getting paid the money you are, then you are expected to rise above excuses and mediocre performance, and make a damn play. His numbers were pathetic.Since our inception as a franchise we have had some of the best RBs the league has seen in recent memory . And for this franchise to just pay some unproven backup and magically make him our guy baffles me. Put Denard and Todman in, at least they're not overpaid bums
I don't think he has the kind of 'break-away' speed that maybe we've grown accustomed to seeing after years of Fred Taylor or Mojo, but the dude has something else to offer... straight ahead power! That's a good thing to have, but it's a bad thing if you don't also have someone who is that 'cut-n-run back on the roster. Toby is what I would call a situational back; he's the guy you want in if you need one or two yards... or if you want someone to think that's what you're going for. Toby only seems slow because (for whatever reason...) Jedd  keeps trying to run him outside, and indeed he is too slow to get away with that in the NFL. Maybe we need to modify our expectations for Gerhart until we have the line to support this kind of running back. I've no double that the next big building block in the team rebuild (and one that will be maybe as or even more important than the quarterback selection...) will be the offensive line. With one exception (and he's practically a rookie...), our whole O-line is comprised of players who are basically 'fill-in's'. They aren't that bad at pass blocking, but not so hot at run blocking. We don't have an elite quarterback/receiver combo currently playing who can still win without much of a run game (ak-colts/broncos, patriots, saints, etc). The game has shifted to prioritize the pass over the run anyway; all we really need is someone who can present a run threat to keep the defense 'honest'. Really, I see DRob as that person more than Gerhart. We paid Toby too much to come here (as usual). I know Denard has a history from last season of loosing the ball, but that was due to injury. He has legitimate speed and moves to be a running threat in the gaps, and outside. Gerhart is more of a situation back. That's how I see it anyway...

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

Quote:Clearly that falls on the decision makers who decided that the ZBS should be implemented without the proper personnel in place.

Using Lynch as an example is just unfair. Apples and oranges. Gerhart is flat out not that good.

You wrote off all of the Denver RBs because it was too long ago. You wrote off Arian Foster and Marshawn Lynch, because they are exceptions? Add Alfred Morris, who was the Redskins leading rusher under Shanahan's ZBS, and he ran a 4.67 40. 
We're running out of teams that use ZBS. Do you have an example of a ZBS scatback who's the #1 RB on his team?

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:Toby only seems slow because (for whatever reason...) Jedd  keeps trying to run him outside, and indeed he is too slow to get away with that in the NFL. 

I don't think the plays are designed to get Gerhart outside. It's more of a case that Gerhart runs in one direction and is supposed to cut upfield when he finds a crease. Unfortunately, there were not a lot of creases last Sunday.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:I don't think the plays are designed to get Gerhart outside. It's more of a case that Gerhart runs in one direction and is supposed to cut upfield when he finds a crease. Unfortunately, there were not a lot of creases last Sunday.
 Bingo.

That and there are designed creases that are supposed to be created by the pulling guard/center, but the play never develops that far because the RT, RG, TE or whoever just got blown up and let their guy run free into the backfield. 

Quote:I don't think the plays are designed to get Gerhart outside. It's more of a case that Gerhart runs in one direction and is supposed to cut upfield when he finds a crease. Unfortunately, there were not a lot of creases last Sunday.
ok... well, there's not much that can really be done to make our line better run blockers. That's kind'a a talent factor and we're playing what for most teams would be 2nd stringers as our 1st string line.

this could be another very long season....

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

Quote: Bingo.

That and there are designed creases that are supposed to be created by the pulling guard/center, but the play never develops that far because the RT, RG, TE or whoever just got blown up and let their guy run free into the backfield. 

I see the same thing. Every time our line moves laterally, somebody allows a man to penetrate and blow up the play. Lageman said the hardest thing for a rookie lineman to learn was to reach block... I hope maybe that is part of it.

basically everything has to be perfect in order for Gerhart to be successful. Cancer has to be cured, world peace has to take place, world hunger has to be solved, terrorism has to be neutralized, economic stability restored, etc., then he'll finally break out that 20+ yard run

Hes getting blown up so bad he gets injured 3 yards behind the line and plays through and hes not and NFL caliber back? Hes not that good, but I would say mediocre maybe, similar to Henne.

"Snow and cold may have stopped the armies of Hitler and Napoleon, but they won't slow down the Jaguars. "
;

;
-Steve Sabol

Quote:It's a combination of things that make a good tailback. Speed, power, quickness, explosiveness and vision that come together...Gerhart is lacking in lot of areas.

He is lacking in ALL of those areas except power and even in that one he's probably maybe above average to his peers.  He's a bust, a dud and they will regret giving him that money.  He's literally the opposite of what you want to have in a RB with a bad line.  Caldwell's biggest bonehead move so far, IMO.

He's a fullback masquerading as an NFL RB.  He played in the Pac-12 against non-SEC defenses without speed at LB and DT/DE.  He's a mirage.