Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NASCAR track wants to host a Jaguars preseason game

Quote:This isn't a mutually exclusive thing. They get a bigger impact by doing these things and hosting a game. It's called taking full advantage of an opportunity.

...and taking another game away from your customer base. There are ways to increase your footprint in Florida without taking away another game.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 06-22-2014, 03:22 PM by HandsomeRob86.)

Quote:Thanks for supporting my point completely.  They wouldn't be there to see the Jaguars. They'd be there for the novelty of watching football at a speedway. 

History shows that season ticket prices would not remain "flat" if they pull a game from our rotation.  My ticket prices remained the same last year with one fewer game as they were the year before.  So, the prices actually went up to cover the lost opportunity, as I suspect they would do again to some extent if they pulled yet another game. 

How do you know what my background is? 

Short answer is you have no clue. 

I'm sure you have all sorts of experience in expanding a small business into a multibillion dollar operation, right? 

Tap dance as you see fit.  I don't see any mention of London in this post, and the conversation we were having where you injected this bit of nonsense was specifically focused on Daytona, not London.  But, even if your point was about London, I've addressed that as well in this thread, so keep on trying, TMD Jr.  

Khan's methods are always focused on maximizing the bottom line.  That's why the team is playing a game in London.  Playing one in Daytona would not have the same impact, or even come close.  The team retains every penny of revenue from preseason games.  That money is not shared with the league.  So, playing games at home in the preseason gives the Jaguars more revenue opportunity than splitting the gate with the International Speedway.  I don't see Daytona offering to host a game for free.
Your gonna be really disappointed when this actually starts happening FBT, might as well adjust your mindset now. If Khan is willing to goto London to get new fans, why wouldn't he goto Daytona or even Orlando when the Orange Bowl is renovated? You say the season ticket holders will grumble and complain, but at the end of the day, many season ticket holders aren't living in J-ville, and commute from Orlando and Daytona, I know multiple guys who do.

So basically get over your negative attitude, and deal with driving to Daytona. If you were going to a Jags game on Sunday, you weren't gonna be doing anything else. You should be happy you got such a forward thinking owner who is actually committed to keeping the team in the area and expanding its appeal. Not whining that you might have to take your hog out for a highway drive on a beautiful August morning. Really, what else were you gonna do on Sunday in August anyhow.

Progress. Some people are for it. Others just want to bring back Gene, keep doing what Weaver did and watch the team move to LA.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Rob I agree with you that drastic change has been needed. Weaver was not willing or able to evolve with the times.  Playing the devils advocate, I know many season ticket owners do not drive to games. Some don't have a car while others don't want to deal with the traffic. The public transportation system is the way many get to the stadium. Will there be a transportation system in place or fans who can't or won't drive to games expected to make the drive?

Then again, preseason is little more than a glorified practice. Teams use vanilla defense while big players don't put in maximum effort.  Most of it is filled with 3rd stringers trying to make the roster.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:Your gonna be really disappointed when this actually starts happening FBT, might as well adjust your mindset now. If Khan is willing to goto London to get new fans, why wouldn't he goto Daytona or even Orlando when the Orange Bowl is renovated? You say the season ticket holders will grumble and complain, but at the end of the day, many season ticket holders aren't living in J-ville, and commute from Orlando and Daytona, I know multiple guys who do.

So basically get over your negative attitude, and deal with driving to Daytona. If you were going to a Jags game on Sunday, you weren't gonna be doing anything else. You should be happy you got such a forward thinking owner who is actually committed to keeping the team in the area and expanding its appeal. Not whining that you might have to take your hog out for a highway drive on a beautiful August morning. Really, what else were you gonna do on Sunday in August anyhow.

Progress. Some people are for it. Others just want to bring back Gene, keep doing what Weaver did and watch the team move to LA.

They're the Jacksonville Jaguars. If people want to see them play, make the drive.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:They're the Jacksonville Jaguars. If people want to see them play, make the drive.

Bingo

Daytona Speedway? Were gonna need more tarps
A good loser is a good loser

Quote:I disagree.  There is little chance a Daytona game would sell more tickets.  I'd say 50,000 maximum would show up.

It would not be like the Daytona 500 when Nascar fans come from all over.  A preseason Jaguars game would depend mostly on the surrounding area to buy tickets, and there just isn't enough people here.

Ok, so 50000 people is a start. It isn't like they would be thinking of this as a one off event.

And to other points, OF COURSE it would be a novelty thing. That would be the intention.

I wouldn't forget that the Jags were a novelty to most fans when they first came on the scene and it took awhile to have a solid, dedicated, substantial fan base.

It's an hour and a half drive. No big deal with little downside.

Quote:They're the Jacksonville Jaguars. If people want to see them play, make the drive.
Exactly.  That comes from a season ticket holder who makes the drive up from Orlando.  

Quote:Your gonna be really disappointed when this actually starts happening FBT, might as well adjust your mindset now. If Khan is willing to goto London to get new fans, why wouldn't he goto Daytona or even Orlando when the Orange Bowl is renovated? You say the season ticket holders will grumble and complain, but at the end of the day, many season ticket holders aren't living in J-ville, and commute from Orlando and Daytona, I know multiple guys who do.

London is .... well London.  One of the premier cities in the entire world.  Daytona is... Daytona.  There is little to gain by coming here (Daytona).

I say that is why they just have a couple practices with the local high schools.  There is little to gain, and having a practice would have little cost.

Quote:London is .... well London.  One of the premier cities in the entire world.  Daytona is... Daytona.  There is little to gain by coming here (Daytona).

I say that is why they just have a couple practices with the local high schools.  There is little to gain, and having a practice would have little cost.

I've suggested something similar.  Host a couple of training camp sessions down there.  That's perfectly fine. 

Daytona is not on par with London on any scale except they have a speedway, a huge flea market, and decent beaches. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:I've suggested something similar.  Host a couple of training camp sessions down there.  That's perfectly fine. 

Daytona is not on par with London on any scale except they have a speedway, a huge flea market, and decent beaches. 

lol that flea market is ridiculous.  ive walked around there a few times and its such a mess.  I guess its great if you are looking for random stuff like fake swords or belt buckles.

some interesting people are found down there too.

Quote:lol that flea market is ridiculous.  ive walked around there a few times and its such a mess.  I guess its great if you are looking for random stuff like fake swords or belt buckles.

some interesting people are found down there too.

I went there once during Bike Week because they had a swap meet over there for bikes and parts.  The clientele was certainly interesting.

It's kind of depressing to go to Daytona Beach.  There are  few really nice hotels down there, and some new development, but the oceanfront that used to be the hub for spring break has gotten old and tired.  One of my buddies stays at a hotel down there that is a "resort".  He stays there for Bike Week because it's cheap.  We stay up off SR 40 at one of the newer hotels up there.  Last year, he kept bugging us to go in on a room with him.  We politely declined.  He kept talking about how the place had been remodeled.  So, curiosity got the best of us, so we went to see the remodel.  They had slapped a coat of paint on half the exterior, and painted all the rooms.  They also put "new" furniture in the rooms.  It looked like it came from one of the other places that had closed down there.  They had an oceanfront room.  The entire wall facing the ocean was sliding glass doors.  They had the curtain closed, and you could see the moth holes.  The smell of God knows what filled the room.  Let's just say it was quite musty.  We went to check out the view, and the glass actually fell out of the frame of the sliding glass door, and remained that way for the rest of the week they were there. 

All of those old hotels on the ocean front that weren't destroyed by tropical storms a few years back should be torn down to make room for new development.  All those mom and pop hotels need to go as well. 

What makes it even worse is the residents don't want the bikers there.  They complain about the noise and the traffic.  They don't bother to think about the tens of millions being pumped into their economy.  They've put sound restrictions on bikes, and they've got law enforcement out there handing out tickets for the most ridiculous stuff.  We usually only go into Daytona to hit Main Street and a few other things, then spend the rest of our time up in Ormond, or down in New Smyrna. 

(This post was last modified: 06-23-2014, 01:01 PM by badger.)

Quote:I went there once during Bike Week because they had a swap meet over there for bikes and parts.  The clientele was certainly interesting.

It's kind of depressing to go to Daytona Beach.  There are  few really nice hotels down there, and some new development, but the oceanfront that used to be the hub for spring break has gotten old and tired.  One of my buddies stays at a hotel down there that is a "resort".  He stays there for Bike Week because it's cheap.  We stay up off SR 40 at one of the newer hotels up there.  Last year, he kept bugging us to go in on a room with him.  We politely declined.  He kept talking about how the place had been remodeled.  So, curiosity got the best of us, so we went to see the remodel.  They had slapped a coat of paint on half the exterior, and painted all the rooms.  They also put "new" furniture in the rooms.  It looked like it came from one of the other places that had closed down there.  They had an oceanfront room.  The entire wall facing the ocean was sliding glass doors.  They had the curtain closed, and you could see the moth holes.  The smell of God knows what filled the room.  Let's just say it was quite musty.  We went to check out the view, and the glass actually fell out of the frame of the sliding glass door, and remained that way for the rest of the week they were there. 

All of those old hotels on the ocean front that weren't destroyed by tropical storms a few years back should be torn down to make room for new development.  All those mom and pop hotels need to go as well. 

What makes it even worse is the residents don't want the bikers there.  They complain about the noise and the traffic.  They don't bother to think about the tens of millions being pumped into their economy.  They've put sound restrictions on bikes, and they've got law enforcement out there handing out tickets for the most ridiculous stuff.  We usually only go into Daytona to hit Main Street and a few other things, then spend the rest of our time up in Ormond, or down in New Smyrna. 

I agree, Daytona especially beachside, is pretty sketchy and run down.  They have tried to clean it up in spots (Boardwalk), but that area just seems to attract certain folk, and there is a lot of low income housing in some areas on beachside.  As an long time Ormond resident,  I try to stay away from beachside Daytona... I actually rarely ever go down there.  If you are not careful, you could find yourself in a bad area with crack houses and criminals.

Now the main Bike Week attraction, Destination Daytona, isn't even in Daytona.  It's in Ormond on US-1.  but ya, I admit I hate bike week.

With that said, Daytona around the speedway has seen significant growth the past few years.  Not bad for shopping and places to eat.

Daytona is trashy for the most part.

My family has a condo down by Ponce Inlet. It is not too bad down there. But the old Daytona Beach is pretty awful.

Quote:Daytona is trashy for the most part.

My family has a condo down by Ponce Inlet. It is not too bad down there. But the old Daytona Beach is pretty awful.

Ponce Inlet is where rich people retire.  Great place to live.

Also has one of the best surf spots in the state.

Quote:I agree, Daytona especially beachside, is pretty sketchy and run down.  They have tried to clean it up in spots (Boardwalk), but that area just seems to attract certain folk, and there is a lot of low income housing in some areas on beachside.  As an long time Ormond resident,  I try to stay away from beachside Daytona... I actually rarely ever go down there.  If you are not careful, you could find yourself in a bad area with crack houses and criminals.

Now the main Bike Week attraction, Destination Daytona, isn't even in Daytona.  It's in Ormond on US-1.  but ya, I admit I hate bike week.

With that said, Daytona around the speedway has seen significant growth the past few years.  Not bad for shopping and places to eat.

Rossmeyer built that dealership as a finger in the eye of the city of Daytona because they wouldn't let him build a new dealership in the city.  So, he opted to build the biggest Harley dealership on the planet with the intention of taking Bike Week and Biketoberfest away from Daytona so they'd lose that revenue.  It took a while, and he died in the meantime, but I think he's accomplished what he intended to do.  There are still large events at the track, and Main Street still draws, but most of the other stuff that used to take place in Daytona has moved to Holly Hill, South Daytona, New Smyrna, and Ormond Beach. 

I don't know if Rossmeyer's ultimate vision of having a Disney type place for bikers will ever come to fruition.  But, for the big events?  It's the centerpiece. 

The funny thing is the city probably gets a better clientele from the bikers than they do the spring break crowd.  The bikers spend money, tip better, and don't trash the place in the same manner the kids do.  Daytona residents may hate Bike Week, but it's a big economic impact on the area when 1/4 to 1/2 million bikers arrive to spend money and have a good time. 

The area around the track has really undergone quite a renaissance in recent years.  But, how heavily trafficked are those places when there's nothing happening at the track or in Daytona?  I know the speedway hosts a ton of stuff to keep the traffic coming, and it appears most of the restaurants and retail are holding their own when there's nothing going on down there.  Hopefully that continues.  We spend a lot of money down near the track hitting the restaurants, but we also like to go off the beaten path to find the local haunts that the majority of tourists aren't aware of.  I've got family down in Ormond, and good friends down there as well, so we always get their recommendations for places to go. 

Quote:Ponce Inlet is where rich people retire.  Great place to live.

Also has one of the best surf spots in the state.

Ponce Inlet, Port Orange, and Ormond Beach are all nice areas.  Old Daytona Beach is just that....old.