Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Shorts on Blackmon

Quote:Well, thats one of the reasons you do not cut him. Sets a bad precedent, too. 

So what's the point in keeping what has essentially become "dead weight"?

If Gus and Co. are serious about changing the culture, set the example and cut Blackmon and move on. Hanging onto issues like these does nobody any good and keeps a dark cloud over the situation.

The best person that can relate to this situation is Cris Carter. The best thing for the Jags to do in order to help Blackmon is to cut him.  I would rather him succeed in the league with another team when kill someone under DUI or wind up having serious mental and health issues.

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:So what's the point in keeping what has essentially become "dead weight"?

If Gus and Co. are serious about changing the culture, set the example and cut Blackmon and move on. Hanging onto issues like these does nobody any good and keeps a dark cloud over the situation.

The best person that can relate to this situation is Cris Carter. The best thing for the Jags to do in order to help Blackmon is to cut him.  I would rather him succeed in the league with another team when kill someone under DUI or wind up having serious mental and health issues.

Theres no reason why he can't get clean and do that while here. Just because Cris Carter situation evolved the way it did doesn't mean that has to be the same method for every case. 

I just want to know why there is a seven page thread on what kind of shorts Justin Blackmon wears!!
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Quote:Theres no reason why he can't get clean and do that while here. Just because Cris Carter situation evolved the way it did doesn't mean that has to be the same method for every case. 

It's not working out for him here.

There is a reason why the team drafted Lee and Robinson. If Lee can be the compliment to Shorts and Robinson heals up from the hammy and looks good in the preseason, and gets off to a good start in the regular season, all of a sudden, Blackmon doesn't even have a short leech, its completely gone. 

This goes way beyond whether or not Blackmon can still contribute to a football team, The scope of this issue is that Blackmon has a serious problem that has caused him to stay away from the game that he loves for an extended period of time.

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

Quote:I just want to know why there is a seven page thread on what kind of shorts Justin Blackmon wears!!

Shorts on Blackmon -- the 1st thing that came to my mind was Michael Sam.

Quote:The heart of tequila country? He wouldn't survive a day.

... not to mention crack and hookers.

(This post was last modified: 06-03-2014, 09:04 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Quote:If we are paying his bonus it's because he's reinstated, and back on the field. I don't see a problem with that, or any sort of catch 22 situation.

If he's not reinstated, he's costing this team nothing. He's not even occupying a roster spot.

I'm saying what if Blackmon does not respond to Caldwell or Bradley over the next 4 months AND does get reinstated after week 8.  It's a catch 22 because you have a choice to sign a dude that refuses to communicate with the front office OR release him and he goes to Houston on waivers.  Blackmon is represented by the Players Union .... I don't think the Jags have anything to do with his reinstatement.   I could be wrong but that's the way I see it.

Quote:It's not working out for him here.

There is a reason why the team drafted Lee and Robinson. If Lee can be the compliment to Shorts and Robinson heals up from the hammy and looks good in the preseason, and gets off to a good start in the regular season, all of a sudden, Blackmon doesn't even have a short leech, its completely gone. 

This goes way beyond whether or not Blackmon can still contribute to a football team, The scope of this issue is that Blackmon has a serious problem that has caused him to stay away from the game that he loves for an extended period of time.

It hasn't worked out for him so far, but it has nothing to do with "here". 

The team was smart to draft Lee and Robinson as to not count on Blackmon, but to view him as a luxury. That doesn't mean that they should do the stupid thing and simply release his rights. 

As said, if I'm running the team, he plays here or nowhere. Simply letting him walk is bad business. And stupid. 

Quote:I'm saying what if Blackmon does not respond to Caldwell or Bradley over the next 4 months AND does get reinstated after week 8.  It's a catch 22 because you have a choice to sign a dude that refuses to communicate with the front office OR release him and he goes to Houston on waivers.  Blackmon is represented by the Players Union .... I don't think the Jags have anything to do with his reinstatement.   I could be wrong but that's the way I see it.

Your scenario won't happen because he can't refuse to communicate with the team if he's reinstated.  He's under contract. 

The league manages the reinstatement.  He has to apply first, and there's zero indication he's doing anything to make that happen. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Cecil is on with the guys on the Jaguars This Week, and Lageman just asked him if he'd heard from Blackmon.  He said he has not heard from him, and that he's attempted to reach out to him a few times and he got no response.  He said he did talk to Blackmon's roommate in Oklahoma, and his roommate said he was doing well. 
Yeah but then you could hear the bong in the background...

I heard that interview on NFL radio, and thought that Blackmon probably doesnt talk to anyone from the Jaguars team.

Quote:Yeah but then you could hear the bong in the background...

I wish people would stop with these snide little ignorant comments. 

They don't help the situation, and really aren't all that funny (if thats the intention)

Quote:I wish people would stop with these snide little ignorant comments.

They don't help the situation, and really aren't all that funny (if thats the intention)
Well, not only that but nobody knows the actual reason he was suspended. He's in the 'substance abuse program'. There are plenty of 'substances', some legal.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

IMO, they are doing it because...

1.  It's costing them absolutely nothing while he's suspended (one of the only good things Gene did here by insisting on a Jaguar friendly contract.)

and

2.  The Jaguars are simply honoring their end of the contract.

If he's back at some point, he's back.  If not, then there's nothing lost.

As far as culture goes, they're making him earn his spot just like everyone else.  They aren't doing anything at all to treat him differently, they aren't giving him any preferential treatment.  They are simply expecting him to help himself.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Yeah but then you could hear the bong in the background...

I heard that interview on NFL radio, and thought that Blackmon probably doesnt talk to anyone from the Jaguars team.

I wasn't aware that Blackmon's issue was marijuana. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:I wish people would stop with these snide little ignorant comments. 

Ignorant comments? Like you supporting a bum like Andre Branch yet contiously insulting Cecil who has been great for this franchise? Like that?

How exactly is he dead weight? 

He's not costing the team a penny in salary.  He's not tying up a roster spot. So, for all intents, he's not a member of the team.  If and when he manages to get back on track, if he's reinstated, he's certainly not dead weight to this team.  He's a productive member of the roster.

Gus and Dave have changed the culture.  Based on all reports, Blackmon is a model player in their system with the exception of an addiction issue that he needs to address.  His situation isn't allowing a dark cloud to linger over this team.  They're not distracted by what's happening.  The team has treated this situation perfectly by basically moving on, and looking at any future return by Blackmon as a luxury.

The Cris Carter example is exactly why you don't cut and run. 

Quote:Ignorant comments? Like you supporting a bum like Andre Branch yet contiously insulting Cecil who has been great for this franchise? Like that?

Like bringing your little whinefest into a thread that has nothing to do with the subject at hand.