Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Would you start Blake Bortles straight away?
Yes
No
Maybe
[Show Results]

Start Blake Bortles?

Quote:If he can't beat out Henne, it's a wasted pick, especially at 3. In this day and age in the NFL, a first round QB, not just a top 5, should be the starter. Unfortunate. But it is.

There is more then one way to skin a cat. It isn't unfortunate because the Jags are doing what they feel is best. Outside noise will be just that. It isn't about beating Henne. I think Henne is going to start unless he gets hurt.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:If he can't beat out Henne, it's a wasted pick, especially at 3. In this day and age in the NFL, a first round QB, not just a top 5, should be the starter. Unfortunate. But it is.

Carson Palmer probably could have beaten out Kitna if it weren't planned for him to sit and develop.

Patience is a virtue.  For the virtuous, I suppose.

This is no wasted pick whatsoever.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Carson Palmer probably could have beaten out Kitna if it weren't planned for him to sit and develop.

Patience is a virtue.  For the virtuous, I suppose.

This is no wasted pick whatsoever.

Interesting to note about Carson sitting...

Kitna won comeback player of the year that season because they didn't force start the rookie.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

No way.  This team is awful.  And he is a work in progress as is.  Bad recipe that could ruin a guy who could potentially turn into a quality starter.

Only start him if in camp and during preseason that he is obviously the guy and is lighting it up.

Quote:Because playing QB is significantly easier in practice when nobody is hitting you than in a real game. What does that prove other than Gabbert sucks? Gabbert's biggest problem was not dealing with pressure, I'm not sure a year or even 10 years of practicing without dealing with real pressure is going to help that.

You've still not indicated what bad habits these could be? If his mechanics or decision making or footwork are going to get worse and he is going to develop new bad habits from simply doing what he's been doing his whole life albeit at a higher level, we drafted the wrong guy. If he is going to get gun shy after throwing a few picks, having a bad game or suffering a losing streak, we drafted the wrong guy. No amount of prep will fix it if he is going to regress the moment the bullets are live.

This is Bortles' team now and at some point he is going to have to deal with adversity. We can't protect him from failure forever.

Sorry, I'm not an NFL coach, so I'm not able to tell you precisely what bad habits could develop.

It's not about him throwing picks, or being gun shy.  It's about being ready for the NFL level.  As a QB, he will be learning on the go.  Better to learn from doing when you're ready to start, than learn when you aren't -- that's when bad habits will develop.  That's common sense.  I'm not suggesting we protect him from failure.  Once he goes out there, I hope they certainly don't handcuff him like we did with Blaine Gabbert.  

Practice is like a swimming pool, while games are like shark infested waters.  When you think he can carry over in practice what you want him to, into real games -- that's when you put him out there.  You don't look at him and say "Look!  He's swimming better than Henne.  Let's toss in him the shark infested waters now!"  Because he might play better than Henne in a real game even -- but it might still not be the level he's capable of.  You want him to realize his potential.  Not for him to jsut be better than Henne.  That's not good enough.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

No, I would not start Bortles this season. He has excellent skills, but he needs to learn the NFL game before he gets behind center in a real situation. The big mistake that was made with Gabbert was that he was 'thrown to the wolves' before he was ready for the NFL game. Having someone step right out of the college game and start immediately in the NFL as a quarterback is the exception, not the rule. It does happen, (Andrew Luck, for example) but it isn't the 'norm'.                                                                                

The whole point of keeping Henne for a couple more seasons is to have someone under center who can 'manage' the games until Bortles has time to develop. Henne also serves as a mentor for Bortles. Say what you want about Henne; but, he is an experienced NFL quarterback who has been around and knows the ropes. Bortles can learn a lot from him. In a season or two when Bortles is ready for it, he'll start and then we'll see...

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

(This post was last modified: 05-11-2014, 05:16 PM by badger.)

I think you are kidding yourself if you don't see him starting right away as a possibility. It is possible. Is it likely? I dont know.

If you don't want him to start right away, why not? He might be ready. We don't know.

Nope...not kidding myself about Bortles not starting right away. Gus has already indicated that the plan is to let Bortles learn for a bit; maybe a season or two. It's no accident that that's the amount of time that Henne was re-signed for. As I had already said in the earlier post, the odds are that Bortles will follow a more traditional route of development prior to stepping on the field as the starter. He was thoroughly scouted for some time by this franchise; Dave knows what he got; a diamond that requires a little more polish... but a diamond, nevertheless. I'm not saying that Bortles 'couldn't' walk on the field and start; but, Henne is here for a reason. Why would you want to start your rookie quarterback, and maybe get him hurt before he has a chance to get a handle on the game at the NFL level, when you still have a 'serviceable' quarterback in Chad Henne that Bortles could learn from?

I could be all wrong about this (I often am...) so I guess we'll see. I do think though that many fans need to just 'hold their water' for a little longer and not 'go off' that Bortles 'must' start right away. We've been waiting for a winner for over ten years now. Let's not let the desire for immediate gratification blow our rationality. After all, like Jack Daniels says; 'quality takes time'.

'he who is patient... obtains'. 

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

I'd like to see him start at least 2-4 games, unless Henne just plays lights out (lol)
No commercial messages in sigs

(This post was last modified: 05-12-2014, 05:21 AM by FreeAgent01.)

I think Bortles has far less development to do than is being currently overstated.

Priority #1 is correcting a habit of throwing off his back foot on sideline passes across the field. It takes a ton of velocity off the ball and will be pick 6 city in the NFL.

Priority #2 is developing better footwork on his drops. It is causing him to have too many arm throws, especially deep... which leads me into #3.

Priority #3 is working out his vertical route accuracy. He underthrew a lot of balls during the season and during his workouts overthrew them. I think once priority #2 is corrected, #3 will correct itself.

I think his decision making and ability to play at the speed of the NFL game are already there. Everybody's different, but I think these issues can be cleaned up in one training camp.

Having said that, I wouldn't play him until after the bye week at the earliest. I'd prefer he becomes completely comfortable with the playbook and players before he plays. Working primarily on mechanics in camp will slow that progression to some extent.

Quote: 

Start Morris instead.

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

Quote:Sorry, I'm not an NFL coach, so I'm not able to tell you precisely what bad habits could develop.

It's not about him throwing picks, or being gun shy.  It's about being ready for the NFL level.  As a QB, he will be learning on the go.  Better to learn from doing when you're ready to start, than learn when you aren't -- that's when bad habits will develop.  That's common sense.  I'm not suggesting we protect him from failure.  Once he goes out there, I hope they certainly don't handcuff him like we did with Blaine Gabbert.  

Practice is like a swimming pool, while games are like shark infested waters.  When you think he can carry over in practice what you want him to, into real games -- that's when you put him out there.  You don't look at him and say "Look!  He's swimming better than Henne.  Let's toss in him the shark infested waters now!"  Because he might play better than Henne in a real game even -- but it might still not be the level he's capable of.  You want him to realize his potential.  Not for him to jsut be better than Henne.  That's not good enough.

He shouldn't just magically grow a new bad habit out of thin air. Like I say, if he starts doing that, we got the wrong guy. He will do stuff wrong and the coaches will correct it, this should happen whether he starts or not and this will continue for the rest of his career, it wont stop because he is the starter or better than Henne. The quality of this coaching and how he responds to it is what will define him as a QB. If anything, having real NFL game tape as opposed to glorified flag which he will play in practice should make coaching him easier.

As I see it, Blake Bortles is athletically superior in every way to Chad Henne. Bigger, stronger, faster, better arm. Chad Henne has been in this system a for a year and has been in the league for a while, therefore he has the mental advantage. At some point, Bortles' superior physical gifts, coupled with a reasonable understanding of the system and a slightly better feel for the game, while it may not be as good as Henne's, is going to be enough to make him the better QB, at least in theory. Obviously we're not going to know for sure if he is the better option until the bullets are being fired live, but that's going to be the case whether he starts week 1 of his rookie year or 2017.

The fact is, he will never have the same mental command of the game as long as he is sitting. He is going to learn more from that first pick 6, that first brutal sack and that first 4th Qtr defeat than he will from years of clipboard holding.

Quote:Just to be different, Bortles.

I'm rooting for Bortles to play so lights out that the staff has no choice but to start him week one. Not expecting this, just rooting for it.

Quote:I'm rooting for Bortles to play so lights out that the staff has no choice but to start him week one. Not expecting this, just rooting for it.
That is best case scenerio