Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Regression of Blake Bortles

(This post was last modified: 10-23-2016, 05:20 PM by CSO14.)

Quote:This is a VERY REAL problem right now...time to start thinking about drafting another QB.

Slow/bad reads of the defense

Slow recognition of where to throw the ball

Poor/slow mechanics

Poor decision making

Inaccurate passes

Doesn't have the "it" factor to carry the offense (which has PLENTY of weapons)
Did you see that duck he threw on that int in the endzone? My God, my mom can throw a football better than Blake.
[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Did you see that duck he threw on that int in the endzone? My God, my mom can throw a football better than Blake.
He is not and never will be a natural thrower. Backup talent at best.

Quote:He had streaks of quality play last year. 

This year he's had about 7 quarters of good football spread through 28 quarters. It's diminished. He has regressed. 

I agree with you. Clearly Bortles is not playing as well as he did at times last year.

You don't have 35 passing TDs based on flukes. He had extended games of good play for a really bad and poorly coached team, but he had legitimately good play over extended periods.

This season he's clearly playing much worse. Either opposing coaches have figured out what he doesn't want to do and are trying to make him do only that, or his game as regressed. It looks like regression to me more than anything. He's missing open guys on middle to deep passes that he used to hit all the time.

lack of discipline, i bet Bortles just does what he wants around the organization.  He plays like no one has ever gotten on his case.

<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/mike_e_kaye'>Mike Kaye ‏@mike_e_kaye </a> <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/mike_e_kaye/status/790299519049007104' title="7:11 PM - 23 Oct 2016">11m11 minutes ago</a><a class="" href='https://twitter.com/search?q=place%3A4ec01c9dbc693497'>Florida, USA</a>

<p class="" style="font-size:26px;">Bortles: My confidence never wavers in myself. <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/hashtag/Jaguars?src=hash'>#Jaguars</a>

Quote:I agree with you. Clearly Bortles is not playing as well as he did at times last year.

You don't have 35 passing TDs based on flukes. He had extended games of good play for a really bad and poorly coached team, but he had legitimately good play over extended periods.

This season he's clearly playing much worse. Either opposing coaches have figured out what he doesn't want to do and are trying to make him do only that, or his game as regressed. It looks like regression to me more than anything. He's missing open guys on middle to deep passes that he used to hit all the time.
Yeah. They are limiting his options over the top. 

No run game = no play action deep shots.  

That was a meaningful percentage of his stat line last year.  He struggles with the short and intermediate stuff and he's having to live on it. 

Quote:Ok I'll bite, what tools does he have sir?

It's not his mechanics.

It's not his accuracy.

It's not his pre snap reads.

It's not his ball placement.

It's not his field vision.

It's not his decision making.

He has plus durability we think, and he is pretty athletic for a QB his size. Try to make a franchise QB out of that...

He has good vision for the field. He does go through his reads on plays that allow him too. The coaches call a lot of of quick drop one read plays. He can sling it down the field so he has arm strength. Your also correct about his durability.

His mechanics were fine last year. For whatever reason they're not there this year.

Hence my point about giving him one more shot with a better staff. We give up too soon we will just be at square one with another backup holding place until we find another QB. Basically losing, just like we are now. Draft a QB or bring in a veteran for competition, but I think next years coach should get a shot to make it work.

I'm watching rivers, look how he surveys the field and finds an open receiver. Blake throws passes to someone who isn't open a prays he catches it

Garrapplo is better than Bortles.

I watched Melvin Gordon, look how he runs hard for that td, yeldon, so soft

Quote:Garrapplo is better than Bortles.

Based off a three game sample. Really?

Quote:Based off a three game sample. Really?

Hes looked better in those 3 games than Bortles has since hes been here.

Quote:I'm watching rivers, look how he surveys the field and finds an open receiver. Blake throws passes to someone who isn't open a prays he catches it

I'm watching Brady, and the dude is an machine. THROWS a beautiful ball every time, and places it perfect for his receivers. Sickening Watchung Blake struggle so badly every Sunday.
[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

Quote:I'm watching Brady, and the dude is an machine. THROWS a beautiful ball every time, and places it perfect for his receivers. Sickening Watchung Blake struggle so badly every Sunday.

Yeah, why does Blake throw it to a receiver when a db is right next to him. Dumb.

Quote:Hes looked better in those 3 games than Bortles has since hes been here.

Any person worth their salt would tell you that projecting a players talent level off such a small sample is moronic. He may look good in three games, but give NFL defenses time and they figure out a lot of players. Remember Matt cassel? Belichick got the kings ransom for him from one good season.

It would only be fair and legitimate to say Bortles is worse than garrapolo if the latter has played a similar career so far, which he has not.

The best qb in that draft plays for the raiders

Quote:Any person worth their salt would tell you that projecting a players talent level off such a small sample is moronic. He may look good in three games, but give NFL defenses time and they figure out a lot of players. Remember Matt cassel? Belichick got the kings ransom for him from one good season.

It would only be fair and legitimate to say Bortles is worse than garrapolo if the latter has played a similar career so far, which he has not.

Im willing to take my chances.

Landry is better than Bortles lol

Quote:Im willing to take my chances.

Ok coach. Call up Caldwell immediately. Tell him to trade the kings ransom right now. I'm sure he'll listen. Good luck rolling the dice on a potential Grbac or Rob Johnson or Matt Flynn

Quote:Landry is better than Bortles lol

He certainly looks better right now. It's kinda scary watching other teams throw replacement QBs out there and they immediately look better than our supposed franchise QB. It reminds me of the Gabbert days.
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!