Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Dilla’s saying Schobert to the Steelers

(08-14-2021, 06:48 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(08-14-2021, 06:35 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Look at our open cap right now.  Last I looked we are #1 in the league right now.  We will be #1 in the league going into next year Shobert or not.  A 17 game season can be rough on linebackers.  An injury or two or three Shobert could be missed.  Yes it's a ton to pay for a backup but it isn't like we are spending to the cap anyway.  Who cares if we have $100million dollars in cap space when we are only spending $75 million for metaphoric purposes.

He was one of the team leaders in tackles last year.  Despite people saying he sucked he was productive.

And we won how many games?

Well MLB outside of a Ray Lewis isnt a major factor in most  games.  I hope you aren't placing the blame on him.   It's just he fact we got weaker on defense for nothing.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2021, 11:02 AM by ATLjag. Edited 1 time in total.)

The details just came out. The Jags are covering half of Schobert's salary and per game bonuses this season, or $3.65m. Just an FYI....the savings will not be $7m this season.

Link:
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...21-salary/

Can't believe we couldn't get better than a 6th rounder considering we only saved three and a half mil. We should have just held on to him and seen if the new scheme would treat him better than the last one.

Still don't understand this move at this time. For a 6th round pick we could have and should have just waited.

(08-15-2021, 11:01 AM)ATLjag Wrote: The details just came out.  The Jags are covering half of Schobert's salary and per game bonuses this season, or $3.65m.  Just an FYI....the savings will not be $7m this season.

Link:

Makes this seem like an even dumber move.

(08-15-2021, 03:26 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(08-15-2021, 11:01 AM)ATLjag Wrote: The details just came out.  The Jags are covering half of Schobert's salary and per game bonuses this season, or $3.65m.  Just an FYI....the savings will not be $7m this season.

Link:

Makes this seem like an even dumber move.

Yeah I don't get it. Keeping some salary and only getting a 6th?
Did Joe sleep with Mrs Meyer or something?

Jags pay half his salary in real dollars, but it sounds like they will only be charged 1m or so against the cap.

I read that joe sho was shocked to be traded. He got caught completely off guard when balkie told him

(08-15-2021, 06:53 PM)Jag88 Wrote: I read that joe sho was shocked to be traded. He got caught completely off guard when balkie told him

That makes 2 of us.  Especially for a 6th rounder.

Sadly, this is the kind of deals we can expect from Trent Baalke.

(This post was last modified: 08-16-2021, 09:24 AM by Mikey.)

(08-13-2021, 11:36 AM)Jag88 Wrote: We got back cap space.

3M wasn't going to break this team. And next year we still are eating 10M more in dead money.

Considering what we got in return vs. what we gave up, I don't see why we didn't just keep him for the season, and ship him off at the end of the year. This is the kind of move you make when a guy is a locker room cancer or begging to be traded away, and neither of those was the case (from my outside view) with this guy.

It is just a boneheaded move. What happens if Wilson goes down? Are the reserves capable of picking up his slack?

(08-13-2021, 12:47 PM)Jags32250 Wrote: Wouldn’t it be hilarious if it were Tyson Alualu!?!

You know, this thought crossed my mind.

(08-14-2021, 12:00 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-13-2021, 08:20 PM)Eric1 Wrote: https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1426295515180847104

Unfortunately, this is the kinda crap move, I expected from Trent Baalke. No one is gonna ever convince me that he couldn't have gotten at least a 5th round pick for Schobert. Only getting a 6th rounder makes this a dumb move. Even if he was riding the bench behind the starters, (which he should be behind Jack and Wilson,) he would have provided good depth along with Shaquille Quarterman. Now Quarterman is our only decent backup ILB with Dylan Moses out. I'd rather have Schobert as an extremely overpaid backup rather that giving him away like we did. This move was all done for optics. They didn't want a guy making that much money in a backup role, even if it meant costing us valuable depth and getting robbed in the process. We are now an injury or two away from disaster at the ILB position and all we got for it was a 6th rounder who probably won't even make the team. 

We all know Dave Caldwell couldn't draft or get along with players worth a crap, but what he did excel at was getting value back in trades. Apparently, Baalke learned nothing from him in this regard. I hate this move. I don't think we shopped Schobert at all. I bet the Steelers made an offer out of the blue and Baalke took the first thing he got offered. He probably pays sticker price for his cars.

The sixth, I can understand. He was a high-dollar LB and would likely have to do some restructuring as part of the deal to make the trading team willing. I have a feeling the extension/restructure being part of the deal is why terms weren't immediately announced.

Offering to chip in half his salary to ease their pain? Not a chance, bozo.

(This post was last modified: 08-16-2021, 09:40 AM by Mikey.)

(08-14-2021, 06:00 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: If you get rid of a player that you signed in free agency, but in the process you gain enough salary cap space to sign an identical player in free agency at some point in the future, what have you lost?  Nothing, really.  It's dumping an asset (Schobert) and a liability (his contract) at the same time.   If the liability is equal to the asset, then eliminating both of them does not generate any loss.  

It's like if you have a car that worth $20,000 on the open market, but you have a car loan in the amount of $20,000.  So you sell it to someone for zero as long as they take over the payments.  There's no loss there.  

There will be plenty of backup-quality ILBs after the preseason cuts that depth won't be a problem.

....but we sold the car for a coupon and still end up making payments on the loan for the next six months.

How often do you not only sell your 20K car, but also agree to keep paying for it on the potential that one of your neighbors decides to put his $5K car up for sale?

(08-14-2021, 08:15 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(08-14-2021, 02:40 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: It was a salary dump and it was stupid, since we are way under the cap anyway and didn't need the cap relief. It also only leaves us with Quarterman as a capable backup at ILB. Not to mention that 5th rounders normally make the roster 81.1% of the time. That drops to 70% for 6th round picks. That is a steep drop off.

It's never too early to start managing your salary cap wisely.   Savings can be carried over from one year to the next.   And in the very near future, we're going to have to give contract extensions to players at the end of their rookie contracts.   So even though we "didn't need the cap relief" (right now), that doesn't mean we ought to pay that kind of salary to a guy who isn't quite worth it and might wind up splitting time with Wilson.  

The Bills traded us Marcel Darius for a conditional 6th round pick.  He was a very good player, but he had a huge contract and he didn't fit their future plans.  I thought they were crazy at the time, but it worked out for them.  They cleared a ton of cap space and used the money elsewhere.   You can't hold onto guys with big contracts if the don't fit your overall plan.

Our cap hit next year would be the same had we traded him on Friday or if we traded him in Jan 2022. That's a non-argument.

(08-14-2021, 12:49 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I'm confident in Quarteman also

(08-14-2021, 10:31 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I didn't like the Schobert signing at all. That doesn't impact my argument for giving him away now, when we lack depth at ILB. As bad as Schobert was as a starter, he still would have been one of the better backups in the league.
You don't pay 7-10 mil for a backup MLB

How much do you pay for a guy on another team?

We saved a whopping three and a half mill. You tell me we'll be able to find comparable replacement anywhere in the league for that, or prove that 3.5M is going to be what keeps the core of this team locked in for the future, and I might not be as upset by this move.

(This post was last modified: 08-16-2021, 10:47 AM by Jag149. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-16-2021, 09:45 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(08-14-2021, 12:49 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I'm confident in Quarteman also

You don't pay 7-10 mil for a backup MLB

How much do you pay for a guy on another team?

We saved a whopping three and a half mill. You tell me we'll be able to find comparable replacement anywhere in the league for that, or prove that 3.5M is going to be what keeps the core of this team locked in for the future, and I might not be as upset by this move.

ok let me try.  He was in the first year of a 5 year contract and going to hit our cap this year for 10 mill. Next year for 25 mill (approx) Now we eat 6 mill in dead cap this year and 7 next year. If we had held on to him and cut him next year we would have had to eat about 21 mill.  If we cut him this year we would have eaten more and gotten nothing in return... not real good at this but I should be close...others here are sure to correct me...Smile
A new broom always sweeps clean.

According to this he was traded for 2 reasons:

1. He wasn't going to start. Damien Wilson has taken his position.

2. He was not as valued in special teams as the other backup Linebackers.

https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/news/urba...e-schobert

(08-16-2021, 03:02 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: https://twitter.com/HaysCarlyon/status/1...74117?s=19

I was really high on the Quarteman pick.  I think he could be something special

(08-16-2021, 10:42 AM)Jag149 Wrote:
(08-16-2021, 09:45 AM)Mikey Wrote: How much do you pay for a guy on another team?

ok let me try.  He was in the first year of a 5 year contract and going to hit our cap this year for 10 mill. Next  year for 25 mill (approx) Now we eat 6 mill in dead cap this year and 7 next year. If we had held on to him and cut him next year we would have had to eat about 21 mill.  If we cut him this year we would have eaten more and gotten nothing in return... not real good at this but I should be close...others here are sure to correct me...Smile

The dead money is 10M next year. OK, 9.9375M, if you want to split a hair. If we cut him next year, that was the entirety of our hit, as the last of his guarantees expired this season. That's also the primary reason why we are footing half the bill for him to play for another team this season. I have no idea where you're getting 21M, unless you are counting the '21 cap (which wouldn't be a consideration of savings if you had kept him on the squad and expected play in return for pay.

I still believe that a sixth round pick was not worth saving 6 mill on an already agreeable cap for a guy that likely would have helped the D out. Who knows, maybe we'll find another Gardner Minshew or Scotty McGee with that pick.

(08-17-2021, 08:03 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(08-16-2021, 10:42 AM)Jag149 Wrote: ok let me try.  He was in the first year of a 5 year contract and going to hit our cap this year for 10 mill. Next  year for 25 mill (approx) Now we eat 6 mill in dead cap this year and 7 next year. If we had held on to him and cut him next year we would have had to eat about 21 mill.  If we cut him this year we would have eaten more and gotten nothing in return... not real good at this but I should be close...others here are sure to correct me...Smile

The dead money is 10M next year. OK, 9.9375M, if you want to split a hair. If we cut him next year, that was the entirety of our hit, as the last of his guarantees expired this season. That's also the primary reason why we are footing half the bill for him to play for another team this season. I have no idea where you're getting 21M, unless you are counting the '21 cap (which wouldn't be a consideration of savings if you had kept him on the squad and expected play in return for pay.

I still believe that a sixth round pick was not worth saving 6 mill on an already agreeable cap for a guy that likely would have helped the D out. Who knows, maybe we'll find another Gardner Minshew or Scotty McGee with that pick.

Hopefully this means that JoSho was the 5th ILB and wouldn't have been on the field much on D or at all on Teams.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato