Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Viruses don't care what you think

(01-13-2022, 09:38 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 08:46 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Oh. My. God. You should stop. Really. Because your last sentence is beyond disinformation. Those who are vaxxed might shed less virus but they still shed it and can infect others.

The vaccine itself doesn't make you capable of infecting others. It's possible to have a breakthrough infection and then shed virus but you must be infected to be capable of infecting others. Does that make sense?

You can be infected but have no symptoms. The virus can live in your body even though your immune system prevents it from attacking you enough for your body to react. You justcarry it and are able to spread.

Typhoid Mary is a classic case. Smallpox in the new world was mostly transmitted by people who weren't sick.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-13-2022, 11:22 PM)Predator Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 09:38 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: The vaccine itself doesn't make you capable of infecting others. It's possible to have a breakthrough infection and then shed virus but you must be infected to be capable of infecting others. Does that make sense?

You can be infected but have no symptoms. The virus can live in your body even though your immune system prevents it from attacking you enough for your body to react. You justcarry it and are able to spread.

Typhoid Mary is a classic case. Smallpox in the new world was mostly transmitted by people who weren't sick.

Agreed but the key here is the person has to be infected. The vaccine alone doesn't make someone capable of transmission.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(01-13-2022, 09:38 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 08:46 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Oh. My. God. You should stop. Really. Because your last sentence is beyond disinformation. Those who are vaxxed might shed less virus but they still shed it and can infect others.

The vaccine itself doesn't make you capable of infecting others. It's possible to have a breakthrough infection and then shed virus but you must be infected to be capable of infecting others. Does that make sense?

Is that not what I said? I said it assuming the vaxxed person was positive with Covid.

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2022, 08:46 PM by Lucky2Last.)

This misunderstanding is brought to you by another senseless Mike post.

(01-14-2022, 08:36 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 09:38 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: The vaccine itself doesn't make you capable of infecting others. It's possible to have a breakthrough infection and then shed virus but you must be infected to be capable of infecting others. Does that make sense?

Is that not what I said? I said it assuming the vaxxed person was positive with Covid.

Actually, you need to go back and read what you wrote.

You said

"Oh. My. God. You should stop. Really. Because your last sentence is beyond disinformation. Those who are vaxxed might shed less virus but they still shed it and can infect others."

and Mike's last sentence was

"Vaccinated people spread nothing while their body reacts to the vaccine."

So you're wrong.

(01-14-2022, 09:17 PM)captivating Wrote:
(01-14-2022, 08:36 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Is that not what I said? I said it assuming the vaxxed person was positive with Covid.

You said

"Oh. My. God. You should stop. Really. Because your last sentence is beyond disinformation. Those who are vaxxed might shed less virus but they still shed it and can infect others."

So you're wrong.

Did you not read what my LAST statement was? I wrote it under the assumption the vaxxed was positive with Covid. 

MY MISTAKE. 

Feel better?

(01-13-2022, 09:31 PM)mikesez Wrote:

Your reading comprehension is really really poor.
Your hate for me makes you really dumb.  Temporarily, anyways.
A vaccinated person doesn't spread anything FROM THE VACCINE while their body reacts to the vaccine. They MIGHT spread the virus, if they happen to catch it during that time.  In contrast to the person who deliberately infects themselves hoping for natural immunity.  That person WILL spread the virus.  
I thought that was obvious.  Apparently not.
Hate less.  You'll feel better, and regain your ability to read and understand things the first time.

Dude, I don't hate you. I don't even know you. I do dislike your disingenuous attitude and we've had that conversation before. But you keep being you. The reason people think you're a tool is all on you. 

Yes, I mistook what you wrote. I assumed we were talking as if the vaxxed person was Covid positive. My mistake.

(01-15-2022, 08:10 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 09:31 PM)mikesez Wrote: Your reading comprehension is really really poor.
Your hate for me makes you really dumb.  Temporarily, anyways.
A vaccinated person doesn't spread anything FROM THE VACCINE while their body reacts to the vaccine. They MIGHT spread the virus, if they happen to catch it during that time.  In contrast to the person who deliberately infects themselves hoping for natural immunity.  That person WILL spread the virus.  
I thought that was obvious.  Apparently not.
Hate less.  You'll feel better, and regain your ability to read and understand things the first time.

Dude, I don't hate you. I don't even know you. I do dislike your disingenuous attitude and we've had that conversation before. But you keep being you. The reason people think you're a tool is all on you. 

Yes, I mistook what you wrote. I assumed we were talking as if the vaxxed person was Covid positive. My mistake.

My wrench took offense to that statement.

(01-15-2022, 10:20 AM)Predator Wrote:
(01-15-2022, 08:10 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Dude, I don't hate you. I don't even know you. I do dislike your disingenuous attitude and we've had that conversation before. But you keep being you. The reason people think you're a tool is all on you. 

My wrench took offense to that statement.

My ratchet is not since it also goes in either direction at the flip of a switch.

(01-15-2022, 12:36 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-15-2022, 10:20 AM)Predator Wrote: My wrench took offense to that statement.

My ratchet is not since it also goes in either direction at the flip of a switch.

Does your wife know you use your tool both ways?
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(01-14-2022, 09:17 PM)captivating Wrote:
(01-14-2022, 08:36 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Is that not what I said? I said it assuming the vaxxed person was positive with Covid.

You said

So you're wrong.

Is this a scientifically proven fact? Was it tested in the lab? Or is just the theory of research scientists?

Is the statement "The unvaccinated spread the virus more than the unvaccinated" a scientifically proven fact? How was it tested as being true? I'm asking these questions sincerely.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(01-16-2022, 02:27 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(01-14-2022, 09:17 PM)captivating Wrote: Actually, you need to go back and read what you wrote.

You said

So you're wrong.

Is this a scientifically proven fact? Was it tested in the lab? Or is just the theory of research scientists?

Is the statement "The unvaccinated spread the virus more than the unvaccinated" a scientifically proven fact? How was it tested as being true? I'm asking these questions sincerely.

Statement 1:  Fact: mRNA vaccines do not contain a live virus, so there is no risk of causing disease in the person getting vaccinated.

Statement 2: Untrue / unproven.  It is more likely the other way, i.e., unvaccinated spread the virus more.  Viral loads of vaccinated are lower or similar depending on the research you read.

I'm no expert but I don't know how statement 2 could ever be true.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

ADE would make the second statement true. Also, depending on how the virus mutated and the way the vaccine targets the original virus, it could make a person's immune response weaker, in a sense, but that's different than ADE.

Either way, from what we know so far, it doesn't appear that the vaccinated spread this more than the unvaccinated, and the vaccine does not create any spread due to the mRNA technology (although there can be vaccine induced spread, depending on how the vaccine is made).

(01-16-2022, 05:11 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: ADE would make the second statement true. Also, depending on how the virus mutated and the way the vaccine targets the original virus, it could make a person's immune response weaker, in a sense, but that's different than ADE.

Either way, from what we know so far, it doesn't appear that the vaccinated spread this more than the unvaccinated, and the vaccine does not create any spread due to the mRNA technology (although there can be vaccine induced spread, depending on how the vaccine is made).

No it wouldn't. The unvaccinated ARE the unvaccinated therefore they could not spread the virus more than they themselves spread the virus.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 01-16-2022, 05:38 PM by mal234. Edited 8 times in total.)

I guess i could put this information in either the covid 19 thread or this one.  I think I will put it in this one since it's more active right now. These are some observations I have noticed recently as COVID/symptoms of COVID is having a big impact on people in my workplace:

We are having a lot of people from work right now either getting Covid or thinking they have covid. Many of them have called out sick and have missed work for several days/at least a couple of weeks. So far, I want to say it's maybe 7 possibly 8 people that may have either gotten Covid or have symptoms. And we recently had another person who was sick that just came back, I'm not sure if they had Covid or not, maybe they were just sick.

But of the people that either have COVID/symptoms/fear they are sick:

At least three of them are vaccinated. I'm not sure about the other four or five.

At least three of them are high risk.  Two of them were out for a year on leave, due to being high risk when the virus first started. I believe that all of the high-risk people are vaccinated.

And at least two of them are/were antivax. One of the ladies who I think may have either come down with Covid in the past couple of days/thinks she has it is very anti vax. She recently told someone she didn't see the point in getting the shot and no one in her household was vaccinated but her husband. She mentioned that she may get it at one point and was acting like it wasn't that big of a deal. Though, when more people started getting it recently she did seem a bit more concerned when a lot of people from our workplace started getting it. The second lady that was antivax may have changed her mind and gotten a vaccine, I'm not sure, though I think she may have turned in paperwork showing proof of that when were filling out paperwork for that as federal government employees. 

I think that at least five or six of them may have had gatherings recently/went on vacation. The one lady today who went home early today just recently spent a couple of weeks vacationing in another state. I think another had a large gathering recently, and I think that the lady who just came back from being sick (unsure if that was COVID) had went on a vacation just before she became ill.  

I don't know if any of these people have received their booster, and that may be an important factor in things.

We are having a worse outbreak now than we did before a vaccine became available when COVID first started. I think this shows just how contagious the omicron variant really is. My take on all of this, what's going on with my co-workers and working in a very high exposure environment since COVID began is to take things seriously and be very careful. People need to try and not let their guard down when it comes to this virus though that can be hard, especially for those of us who have high exposure jobs or have spouses/people in our households who have high exposure jobs or maybe kids who are in school. I definitely think that being vaccinated/boosted helps, but even with that people still have to be careful.

Just uh tested positive yesterday 

Lets see what roller-coaster ride this takes me on  Smile

The biggest issue I see with omicron is the word COVID associated with it is more harmful than the virus. There are no breathless reports of overwhelmed hospitals and morgues and everyone I know who has contracted omicron had symptoms as similar and brief as a bad cold. At what point do we stop overreacting and just start taking it in stride like we do with every other virus?

(01-16-2022, 05:20 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-16-2022, 05:11 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: ADE would make the second statement true. Also, depending on how the virus mutated and the way the vaccine targets the original virus, it could make a person's immune response weaker, in a sense, but that's different than ADE.

No it wouldn't. The unvaccinated ARE the unvaccinated therefore they could not spread the virus more than they themselves spread the virus.

I have no idea what you are trying to say here.

(01-16-2022, 05:39 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote:
(01-16-2022, 05:20 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: No it wouldn't. The unvaccinated ARE the unvaccinated therefore they could not spread the virus more than they themselves spread the virus.

I have no idea what you are trying to say here.

I realize that, but of course you still think I'm wrong though. Maybe go re-read Statement #2 above that I was talking about and you'll figure it out.