Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Case For Evan Neal at 1

(03-02-2022, 07:08 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-02-2022, 07:01 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: https://youtu.be/BHHcssgjARY
Is that guy 6 foot 7 300 pounds or no? That’s the point.

Are you really trying to downplay his athleticism?

It's like there's an autoresponder set up on his account. at any mention of the name, there must be excretion.

This place is going to be unbearable come April 29.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-03-2022, 09:23 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-02-2022, 07:08 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Is that guy 6 foot 7 300 pounds or no? That’s the point.

It's like there's an autoresponder set up on his account. at any mention of the name, there must be excretion.

So you mean it will be a normal draft...
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(03-01-2022, 07:33 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-01-2022, 06:54 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Pickens and Ross would be cool. I’m alright that.

Pickens has made a name by making a few good catches, but he totally disappears in most games. He is as inconsistent as they come and Ross is a walking medical red flag. Neither of these guys are in my top 150 players.
https://twitter.com/KyleYNFL/status/1499...0uSAygNHnQ

(03-03-2022, 09:23 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-02-2022, 07:08 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Is that guy 6 foot 7 300 pounds or no? That’s the point.

https://twitter.com/RJ_Writes/status/149...0uSAygNHnQ

This fat sack of crap loser.

(03-03-2022, 06:47 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-02-2022, 08:15 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Well, FWIW, the buzz is that the Jaguars will be aggressive in free agency...and this is coming from Pederson and Baalke themselves.

Pederson mentioned he wanted to re=sign Cam Robinson and DJ Chark.

Even though I created this very thread, I can see the wisdom in retaining Robinson.  I've long been a Chark proponent.

I've gotten the sense that whether they resign Chark and Cam or not, they will go after bigger name players, as opposed to the flaccid and disappointing approach we saw last year.

Whether this translates into actually signing any of the guys they want, much less showing improvement/Khan's desire to win remains to be seen.

But the tabling of the FVP aside, I like what I've heard thus far.

I think it's supposed to be an indicia of his explosiveness, just like the vertical and broad jump in the combine.

But I'm disappointed in Neal not working out, because the drills at the combine are supposed to measure lateral quickness in linemen, among other things.

Grammar police on patrol here, Bullseye.  I'm only telling you this because you're obviously a very smart guy, probably the best writer on this board, unexcelled in content and composition.   But I gotta say it, because you done this quite a few times, and I think you'd like to know.  

"Indicia" is plural for "indication."  You can't have "an" indicia.  

As to your description of last year's free agency as "...flaccid and disappointing...," those are exactly the words I would use.  I was very surprised last year when we drafted Trevor and hired Meyer and then didn't try very hard in free agency, even though Meyer said he wanted to win immediately.  I remember Meyer talking about how good our roster looked, and what I think happened was, he really had no idea what an NFL roster looked like.  And since he was used to college players, he took a look at our guys and thought he could win a bunch of games (due of course to his magical coaching ability).  Meyer basically said there was no "re-building" necessary, and that it was a one-year plan, which was obviously a supreme level of overconfidence in his own abilities and a lack of understanding of what a good NFL roster should look like.

I really thought Meyer would be a good coach.  Maybe that was just my natural optimism.  Man, was I wrong.  Waaaaay wrong.
It's like being the guy at the party walking around with his fly unzipped.  Ugh.

To save the board extended exposure to an unwanted (perhaps from their perspective) grammar lesson, for now I'll just say thank you for the correction and perhaps continue this part of the discussion in PM.

As for last year's free agency, I think everyone had sticker shock when the contract for Trent Williams was announced.  Though everyone identified LT as a position in need of dire upgrade, everyone forgave the team for not making the expenditure for Williams.  But to not even make a play for viable and needed TE targets like Hunter Henry or Jonnu Smith, and to sign a bunch of seemingly nondescript players in free agency (none that would be readily recognizable as difference makers or catalysts) was quite the buzzkill.  It was one of a long series of buzzkills we suffered last season beginning with the hiring of Meyer.

I was in favor of hiring Pederson last year when the Eagles fired him, and if Khan is to be believed, he went after him last year, but Pederson was interested in sitting out the year.  The UM hire blindsided me.  I did think he would be better than he was personnel wise, and wanted to see what his influence would be on the offensem so like many of you, I reluctantly gave him a chance.

Ugh.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(03-03-2022, 10:06 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-03-2022, 09:23 AM)Mikey Wrote: It's like there's an autoresponder set up on his account. at any mention of the name, there must be excretion.

https://twitter.com/RJ_Writes/status/149...0uSAygNHnQ

https://twitter.com/gregauman/status/149...v33iQ&s=19

(03-03-2022, 10:35 AM)baggnsaggnbarry Wrote:
(03-03-2022, 10:06 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: https://twitter.com/RJ_Writes/status/149...0uSAygNHnQ

https://twitter.com/gregauman/status/149...v33iQ&s=19

If that's him, he doesn't look fat at all.

If he's truly at 336, and he plays around that weight, I'm quite confident he could be a successful LT.

(03-03-2022, 10:39 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-03-2022, 10:35 AM)baggnsaggnbarry Wrote: https://twitter.com/gregauman/status/149...v33iQ&s=19

If he's truly at 336, and he plays around that weight, I'm quite confident he could be a successful LT.

It's hard to discount the last 15 years of Alabama's OT prospects never being as good as advertised.

I really thought he could be different having played 3 different spots all 3 years and dominated at every one..

But his refusal to workout at the combine makes me think his trainer saw his deficiencies and said it's best not to workout and end up at the far end of athleticism compared to the other OTs.

He’s working out at his pro day. Ain’t like he opted not to work out all together.

Probably thinks another month of working out to lower weight will pay dividends. He’s probably right.

(03-03-2022, 06:47 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-02-2022, 08:15 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Well, FWIW, the buzz is that the Jaguars will be aggressive in free agency...and this is coming from Pederson and Baalke themselves.

Pederson mentioned he wanted to re=sign Cam Robinson and DJ Chark.

Even though I created this very thread, I can see the wisdom in retaining Robinson.  I've long been a Chark proponent.

I've gotten the sense that whether they resign Chark and Cam or not, they will go after bigger name players, as opposed to the flaccid and disappointing approach we saw last year.

Whether this translates into actually signing any of the guys they want, much less showing improvement/Khan's desire to win remains to be seen.

But the tabling of the FVP aside, I like what I've heard thus far.

I think it's supposed to be an indicia of his explosiveness, just like the vertical and broad jump in the combine.

But I'm disappointed in Neal not working out, because the drills at the combine are supposed to measure lateral quickness in linemen, among other things.

Grammar police on patrol here, Bullseye.  I'm only telling you this because you're obviously a very smart guy, probably the best writer on this board, unexcelled in content and composition.   But I gotta say it, because you done this quite a few times, and I think you'd like to know.  

As to your description of last year's free agency as "...flaccid and disappointing...," those are exactly the words I would use.  I was very surprised last year when we drafted Trevor and hired Meyer and then didn't try very hard in free agency, even though Meyer said he wanted to win immediately.  I remember Meyer talking about how good our roster looked, and what I think happened was, he really had no idea what an NFL roster looked like.  And since he was used to college players, he took a look at our guys and thought he could win a bunch of games (due of course to his magical coaching ability).  Meyer basically said there was no "re-building" necessary, and that it was a one-year plan, which was obviously a supreme level of overconfidence in his own abilities and a lack of understanding of what a good NFL roster should look like.

I really thought Meyer would be a good coach.  Maybe that was just my natural optimism.  Man, was I wrong.  Waaaaay wrong.

And Indica is a strain of marijuana plant. LOL

(This post was last modified: 03-03-2022, 11:37 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(03-03-2022, 10:29 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-03-2022, 06:47 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Grammar police on patrol here, Bullseye.  I'm only telling you this because you're obviously a very smart guy, probably the best writer on this board, unexcelled in content and composition.   But I gotta say it, because you done this quite a few times, and I think you'd like to know.  

It's like being the guy at the party walking around with his fly unzipped.  Ugh.

To save the board extended exposure to an unwanted (perhaps from their perspective) grammar lesson, for now I'll just say thank you for the correction and perhaps continue this part of the discussion in PM.

As for last year's free agency, I think everyone had sticker shock when the contract for Trent Williams was announced.  Though everyone identified LT as a position in need of dire upgrade, everyone forgave the team for not making the expenditure for Williams.  But to not even make a play for viable and needed TE targets like Hunter Henry or Jonnu Smith, and to sign a bunch of seemingly nondescript players in free agency (none that would be readily recognizable as difference makers or catalysts) was quite the buzzkill.  It was one of a long series of buzzkills we suffered last season beginning with the hiring of Meyer.

I was in favor of hiring Pederson last year when the Eagles fired him, and if Khan is to be believed, he went after him last year, but Pederson was interested in sitting out the year.  The UM hire blindsided me.  I did think he would be better than he was personnel wise, and wanted to see what his influence would be on the offensem so like many of you, I reluctantly gave him a chance.

Ugh.

I sure know I did. It taught me a valuable lesson. Teams lock up very good, young LT's. There isn't that many of them at all so when they do hit the market, they are older guys who are still gonna command a very large contract. Then you have to decide if you wanna pay that player money which will take up a large portion of your future cap when in reality, that player could start to be on the decline due to age. It's a slippery slope. 

I think the vast majority of the board was blindsided by the Meyer hiring and not in a good way. I hated the hire, but I gave him a chance. That blew up in all of our faces.

(03-03-2022, 10:39 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-03-2022, 10:35 AM)baggnsaggnbarry Wrote: https://twitter.com/gregauman/status/149...v33iQ&s=19

It doesn't change how I feel about him at all, but he is very noticeably thinner. He had a huge gut when he was playing at Alabama. If he is indeed 336 lbs, he must've been playing closer to 365-370 lbs. last season.

(03-03-2022, 10:51 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(03-03-2022, 10:39 AM)Bullseye Wrote: If that's him, he doesn't look fat at all.

It's hard to discount the last 15 years of Alabama's OT prospects never being as good as advertised.

I really thought he could be different having played 3 different spots all 3 years and dominated at every one..

But his refusal to workout at the combine makes me think his trainer saw his deficiencies and said it's best not to workout and end up at the far end of athleticism compared to the other OTs.

Not to mention that he couldn't supplant Alex Leatherwood as the starting LT last season. The same Alex Leatherwood who was so bad as a rookie OT that the Raiders had to kick him inside midway through the season.

(03-03-2022, 10:39 AM)Bullseye Wrote: If that's him, he doesn't look fat at all.

Look at that.

You can make good points without calling him a "fat sack of crap loser".

(03-03-2022, 11:55 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-03-2022, 10:51 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: It's hard to discount the last 15 years of Alabama's OT prospects never being as good as advertised.

Look at that.

Alcohol is fun. lol

(03-03-2022, 12:03 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(03-03-2022, 11:55 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Look at that.

Alcohol is fun. lol
Hahaha Preach

People think I'm crazy when I sometimes factor in the school when it comes to evaluating players, but it makes some sense to do so.

How can a national power school repeatedly produce (or fail to produce) at a given position when they can produce at nearly other position?

As great as the University of Miami was in the 1980s-the early 2000s, how could they not have produced a stud CB in that time?  No, Duane Starks doesn't count.  They also had a blank spot at DE, too, until Calais Campbell.

Penn State?  You could get RBs, FBs, interior OLs and LBs for days...but DBs?  Only Adrian Amos has been respectable.  For years, like Miami, Penn State was also devoid of DEs/edge rushers until they started coming through in the early 2000s.

I think coaches have player paradigms for what fits in their systems, and those paradigms may or may not be conducive to producing quality NFL players at those positions.  To the extent there is coaching/schematic continuity at schools, those paradigms could become entrenched, which leads to a bunch of similar players at a position having a similar type of NFL career.

(This post was last modified: 03-03-2022, 04:14 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

https://mobile.twitter.com/Jordan_Reid/s...gr%5Etweet

It's Neal or Hutchinson for me

It's Neal or Hutchinson for me

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/149941266...TyR8RvaQrg

(03-03-2022, 11:34 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-03-2022, 10:29 AM)Bullseye Wrote: It's like being the guy at the party walking around with his fly unzipped.  Ugh.

Ugh.

I sure know I did. It taught me a valuable lesson. Teams lock up very good, young LT's. There isn't that many of them at all so when they do hit the market, they are older guys who are still gonna command a very large contract. Then you have to decide if you wanna pay that player money which will take up a large portion of your future cap when in reality, that player could start to be on the decline due to age. It's a slippery slope. 

I think the vast majority of the board was blindsided by the Meyer hiring and not in a good way. I hated the hire, but I gave him a chance. That blew up in all of our faces.

It doesn't change how I feel about him at all, but he is very noticeably thinner. He had a huge gut when he was playing at Alabama. If he is indeed 336 lbs, he must've been playing closer to 365-370 lbs. last season.

Nor should it.

He's standing still at a podium in a T shirt.

He's not moving around on a field in pads.  That's the ultimate test.

This is where I am. They always seem to get drafted high but they mostly are average in the pros.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]