Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Caldwell: "We will be big-spenders in Free Agency."

I am advocating the signing of Adrian Clayborn, first because I think he can contribute on the Dline Rotation. He should come at a reasonable price since he has been hurt 2 out of 4 years and lastly, it is still possible to have a 1st and 2nd down Leo DE who can stop the run as well as rush the passer.

Clayborn can add 6 to 8 sacks per season, but can add 60+ tackles at the LOS instead of 5 yards downfield where Telvin Smith makes the tackle.

This is just my thoughts.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Oline should be top priority followed by a veteran in the secondary.  We need a safety back there with some brains

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:I am advocating the signing of Adrian Clayborn, first because I think he can contribute on the Dline Rotation. He should come at a reasonable price since he has been hurt 2 out of 4 years and lastly, it is still possible to have a 1st and 2nd down Leo DE who can stop the run as well as rush the passer.

Clayborn can add 6 to 8 sacks per season, but can add 60+ tackles at the LOS instead of 5 yards downfield where Telvin Smith makes the tackle.

Pass.

Quote:I am advocating the signing of Adrian Clayborn, first because I think he can contribute on the Dline Rotation. He should come at a reasonable price since he has been hurt 2 out of 4 years and lastly, it is still possible to have a 1st and 2nd down Leo DE who can stop the run as well as rush the passer.

He's been in the league for four years and lost nearly two of them in their entirety to injuries. Maybe as a possible one year, minimum salary flier. But why you think he could add 6-8 sacks is beyond me.

;

;

Quote:Guessing RT and TE would be the two biggest ones since those are two holes and we would be better off next year adding more vets to the offense.  Maybe FS too since that position isn't very deep in the draft.
Yeah, I agree Lewis needs to be replaced or put him on the field more so he can remember how he use to play. But yes we need to find a replacement. As far as RT I think he'll or they'll be fine in the new system.

Quote:I am advocating the signing of Adrian Clayborn, first because I think he can contribute on the Dline Rotation. He should come at a reasonable price since he has been hurt 2 out of 4 years and lastly, it is still possible to have a 1st and 2nd down Leo DE who can stop the run as well as rush the passer.

Hurt 2 out of 4. Lol  Yeah and we start paying him and he'll get hurt just the same and be a waste. Just like Clowney for Houston.

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2015, 08:17 AM by Stigma.)

Before 2013 who would have thought that SenDerrick Marks could garner more than 2 sacks in a season? In 2009 his rookie season he had 1 sack. In 2010, he had 0 sacks, in 2011 he had 0.5 sacks and in 2012, he had 1.5 sacks. Yet Dave Caldwell saw something and gave Marks an opportunity and we know the rest of the story.

In 2011, Adrian Clayborn had 7.5 sacks. In 2013 he had 5.5 sacks. So to me 6 to 8 sacks is not an unreasonable projection from 5.5 to 7.5.

No one would argue that Adrian Clayborn should be paid big money but he could be useful in the Jags defense and if he can be signed with a one year PROVE IT contract then the Jags might end up being the big winner.

At this point, there is reasonable doubt that JPP hits the market and if he does, is he worth 14 Mil like Robert Quinn of the Rams?

So Clayborn is the Dollar General brand on the market and to me it does not hurt to kick the tires and give him a shot on this defense.

When Telvin Smith has over 100 tackles at the WLB spot it says that the Leo DE can't stop the run. So the offense gets 5 more yards and Telvin Smith makes the tackle 5 yards down field. With Clayborn at the Leo spot, his 64 tackles in 2013 suggests that the tackle is made near the LOS and thus less run yardage, less first downs, more 3 and outs and better defense. Not to difficult to figure this out. Stopping the run is a defense's first option even in a pass happy league.

I think Ryan Davis could be a star at the Leo DE position, but he is not really stout enough to stop the run. Clayborn at 6'3" 280 Lbs is stout enough to be the 1st and 2nd down Leo DE and then you put Davis in on 3rd Down with Clayborn moving over to DT beside Marks.

For those who say that Clayborn is too big to play the Leo position, note that JPP is 6'5" 278. So Clayborn is 2" shorter but the same weight. Clayborn is a lot better than most people think. In many ways he is very similar to SenDerrick Marks.

I'm with JaguarMVP, for the most part.  We need to use FA on the O-line (mostly) and draft on the D-Line (mostly).  There are exceptions I think in terms of maybe looking for a vet FS and maybe get a rookie TE...  But for the most part, the D-Line is already needing some depth and rookies to bring along and learn from our FA pickups from the last year.

Honestly, I just don't watch enough other teams play to know which FAs will have the most impact... 

I'm confident that Caldwell will find the right players and bring them in to upgrade us.

Quote:I'm with JaguarMVP, for the most part.  We need to use FA on the O-line (mostly) and draft on the D-Line (mostly).  There are exceptions I think in terms of maybe looking for a vet FS and maybe get a rookie TE...  But for the most part, the D-Line is already needing some depth and rookies to bring along and learn from our FA pickups from the last year.

Honestly, I just don't watch enough other teams play to know which FAs will have the most impact... 

I'm confident that Caldwell will find the right players and bring them in to upgrade us.
I don't know where you find the confidence. I look at the whole picture of what Dave has brought in and just do not see this great talent evaluator. He hit on marks. Who else?  Linder?Bowanko?Beadles? Robinson? T.Smth? Gratz? Bryant? This is the same man who also looked at hours of Jokel, and saw something that made him think he was a building block, an anchor for years at left tackle. Not just tape but in person at right tackle, and still was so confident in Luke he made him LT. When most fans could tell he couldn't handle RT. What kind of sense does that make, seriously? I understand missing on a pick, I cannot fathom having a player on the team that they watched hours and hours of play from and said "yeah he gets abused at RT, lets put him at LT and get rid of Eugene.". THAT IS MIND BOGGLING BAD DECISION MAKING.  Unless the player makes a 180 degree turn he is a bust at his spot in the draft. Major swing and miss.Made worse by as I said not recognizing how bad even when he was on the Jaguars.

This is just like "rating the rookies" thread, evaluating the top rookies, and I find myself saying, "who was good?". really good, not rookie excuse good, but showed flashes of greatness. Who were the great FA pickups and practice squad guys he signed off other clubs? Is there a good Jaguar team out there hidden away near the river at Everbank? Because I see lots of Jokels and ZIggy Hoods and Gratz and I get that old Gene Smith Feeling again. I think we are so used to mediocre players the fans are like starving haitians thrown a MRE. It's all gourmet until the season starts and we face other teams and realize what is really on our dinner table. Heck, some don't see it even then.

I'd like Cobb from Green Bay,  Thomas from Denver, and a RT.  Don't care about the rest in free agency.

Instead of Randal Cobb why not consider Eddie Royal of the Chargers. He is not going to cost too much and will provide similar results out of the slot.

Randal Cobb = 10 Mil contract

or

Eddie Royal = 4 Mil contract

Quote:Instead of Randal Cobb why not consider Eddie Royal of the Chargers. He is not going to cost too much and will provide similar results out of the slot.

or

I think the team will sign a veteran receiver like Royal or Nate Washington. I don't see them sending on Cobb.

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2015, 01:52 PM by The_Anchorman.)

Quote:I don't know where you find the confidence. I look at the whole picture of what Dave has brought in and just do not see this great talent evaluator. He hit on marks. Who else?  Linder?Bowanko?Beadles? Robinson? T.Smth? Gratz? Bryant? This is the same man who also looked at hours of Jokel, and saw something that made him think he was a building block, an anchor for years at left tackle. Not just tape but in person at right tackle, and still was so confident in Luke he made him LT. When most fans could tell he couldn't handle RT. What kind of sense does that make, seriously? I understand missing on a pick, I cannot fathom having a player on the team that they watched hours and hours of play from and said "yeah he gets abused at RT, lets put him at LT and get rid of Eugene.". THAT IS MIND BOGGLING BAD DECISION MAKING.  Unless the player makes a 180 degree turn he is a bust at his spot in the draft. Major swing and miss.Made worse by as I said not recognizing how bad even when he was on the Jaguars.

This is just like "rating the rookies" thread, evaluating the top rookies, and I find myself saying, "who was good?". really good, not rookie excuse good, but showed flashes of greatness. Who were the great FA pickups and practice squad guys he signed off other clubs? Is there a good Jaguar team out there hidden away near the river at Everbank? Because I see lots of Jokels and ZIggy Hoods and Gratz and I get that old Gene Smith Feeling again. I think we are so used to mediocre players the fans are like starving haitians thrown a MRE. It's all gourmet until the season starts and we face other teams and realize what is really on our dinner table. Heck, some don't see it even then.

Well...  I'm not going to argue with you about a whole bunch...  Or maybe I will...  

Let's start with concessions...  Joeckel has been bad--really bad.  Gerhart was also pretty bad, but he did pick it up a bit towards the end of the season.  Another bad signing.  Beadles was a part of a horrible O-Line, but some say he showed progress.  I don't know, I look at the o-line as a whole, and they were awful.  

But...  There are slight signs we're better than what our record shows...

McCray is a second year player DC picked up.  Colvin is positive rookie that looks like he'll come on strong.  They look to be our CBs next year, and I think they will turn out to be VERY good.  

Gratz...  Yes, he's a head scratcher...  He seemed like the only player that was playing on glass while everyone else was playing on turf.  He seemed to always be slipping around while the WRs were making their cuts.  But...  With that said, he played mediocre.  Yeah, he got burned alot, but I thought we were (including myself) hyper critical of him throughout the season.  Mainly because he didn't get better.

Cyp...  Also a head scratcher.  Horrible angles, seemed to be out of position alot.  He came on strong at the end of the season though.  

Gratz and Cyp  are 2 players where the full evaluation will come next year.

People ignore Clemmons, but he was a good player and was a very good piece to our D-line. I'm not sure why he get's ignored or crticized.  I thought he played well and consistent overall throughout the year.

JT Thomas--- Also another pickup, I think from the Bears whom I thought played pretty darn well at LB.  

Telvin Smith also appears to be a solid pickup.  With Poz back,  I think we got a good LB corps to work off off.

Those pickups on the D-side (either in draft over the last 2 years or in FA)are all on DC and I think there's more positive than negative.

So while I really can't argue to much with your criticism, I think there's alot of positives to still have some faith in DC.  And this is not even mentioning the WRs we got.   

And Shoelace is a great pick is as well.  That dude has heart, he's gonna continue to get better, barring this foot injury being worse than reported.

Quote:Instead of Randal Cobb why not consider Eddie Royal of the Chargers. He is not going to cost too much and will provide similar results out of the slot.

or

Ruth Chris Steak....$35

Golden Corral........$ 7

If I'm broke...$7 steak. If I have the coin..Ruth's.

But...the caveat is... The QB. ...will Cobb be as effective with BB tossing him balls vs Rodgers? I doubt it. Perhaps the Vikings can attest to that with Greg Jennings.

Also, is Cobb better because he has Nelson getting more attention? How will he do as an undersized, #1 receiver with a 2 nd year QB?

Not saying not to take him, but I'll be cautiously optimistic if we do....not saving up for playoff tix however.
Blakes Life Matters

Quote:Ruth Chris Steak....$35

Golden Corral........$ 7

If I'm broke...$7 steak. If I have the coin..Ruth's.

But...the caveat is... The QB. ...will Cobb be as effective with BB tossing him balls vs Rodgers? I doubt it. Perhaps the Vikings can attest to that with Greg Jennings.

Also, is Cobb better because he has Nelson getting more attention? How will he do as an undersized, #1 receiver with a 2 nd year QB?

Not saying not to take him, but I'll be cautiously optimistic if we do....not saving up for playoff tix however.
Golden Corral>all because they have everything Smile

In this case give me Cobb>Royal.

Hey I know, let's make a list of the top 1 or 2 FAs at every position of possible need, and if we don't get at least 4 or 5 of them then Dave is a big fat underperformer. 

Quote:Hey I know, let's make a list of the top 1 or 2 FAs at every position of possible need, and if we don't get at least 4 or 5 of them then Dave is a big fat underperformer.

Welp, saying he's over performed so far is a stretch. But, he himself said the 3 wins this year is what he expected. So the the ceiling is high, since the bar was set low.
Blakes Life Matters

Quote:Welp, saying he's over performed so far is a stretch. But, he himself said the 3 wins this year is what he expected. So the the ceiling is high, since the bar was set low.
I just meant in regards to the topic quote about spending big in free agency. I don't think Dave's "spend big in free agency" means he is going to make 4 or 5 players among the very highest paid players at their position like such a majority on here thinks/expects. 

Quote:I don't think Dave's "spend big in free agency" means he is going to make 4 or 5 players among the very highest paid players at their position like such a majority on here thinks/expects. 

I agree.  But he may make 2 guys among the 5 highest paid at their positions.  (if the right guys are not re-signed by their prior teams of course) 

He put a big time offer on the table for Mack last off-season and I could see him putting two of those out there this time around - along with the requisite mid-tier signings we've already come to expect from DC. 

Quote:I just meant in regards to the topic quote about spending big in free agency. I don't think Dave's "spend big in free agency" means he is going to make 4 or 5 players among the very highest paid players at their position like such a majority on here thinks/expects. 

Quote:I agree.  But he may make 2 guys among the 5 highest paid at their positions.  (if the right guys are not re-signed by their prior teams of course) 

He put a big time offer on the table for Mack last off-season and I could see him putting two of those out there this time around - along with the requisite mid-tier signings we've already come to expect from DC. 
Caldwell said that if there is a player available that is needed for a position, than they will do anything, and everything to get that player to sign.