Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Fire Special Teams Coordinator Mike Mallory

Quote:It's the whole Jaguars media that is turning into complete apologist for all things Jags.  I know as fans that we don't know the ins and outs but I think there is an arrogance from the people "in the know" that they are the only ones that can be right.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the team sucks and isn't getting better.  But, I'm just a lowly fan who doesn't know football.

Oehser said the exact same stuff about Gene Smith before he was fired and he isn't in the league now.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Because our STs is ranked 28th of course...

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamst

Goes well with our 28th ranked defense and 31st ranked offense!

One of these years.............

Quote:I disagreed strongly about Gene Smith from the moment he traded a future 2nd round pick to draft Derek Cox. I didn't mind Vic's Steeler references too much, since he had a good grasp of NFL history and the Steeler anecdotes were not in every column, or even every week, although I agree they were excessive. But the main thing is that Vic wasn't ALWAYS apologizing and making up excuses for the errors the Jags made. As just one example he voiced his displeasure about the Reggie Williams pick from the start. He also didn't try to be funny in just about every response.

Since I stopped reading Oesher long ago maybe I missed it, but when has he ever criticized a decision by the Jags?

Maybe I missed it but when did Vic ever criticize a decision by Gene Smith? And no, Vic didn't do humor - he did the grumpy old man bit. It's called a difference in style. And I usually enjoyed Vic.

I think that people tend to think more highly of Vic as more time has passed, but like Oesher, he was employed by the Jaguars and we all knew there are limits to how strongly he can come down on the Jags. Why is that a difficult concept for some? 

Vic was not more harsh regarding the Jags than Oesher. They have different styles, that's all. Oesher has made it clear that he would have retained Daryl Smith. He's been critical of Bortles. You think he's thrilled with being 2-12. You think that makes his job easier or more fun?

Funny - when Oesher agrees with someone he's telling the truth. If he says something someone disagrees with he's a shill for the company. Strange how that works.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:What makes Mike Mallory "a very good special teams coach"?

Send your question to Oesher. He takes them, you know.

Or perhaps someone on this board will answer - it's chock full of coaches and general managers.

Quote:What makes Mike Mallory "a very good special teams coach"?

Obviously his blocking schemes. Duh.

I did not imagine anybody would actually be defending Mallory and his disaster of a special teams unit.

Hopefully Oesher is wrong.

(This post was last modified: 12-17-2014, 02:31 PM by MoJagFan.)

Quote:I did not imagine anybody would actually be defending Mallory and his disaster of a special teams unit.

Hopefully Oesher is wrong.

He won't be wrong.  This is a nothing to see here year apparently.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:Vic was not more harsh regarding the Jags than Oesher. They have different styles, that's all. Oesher has made it clear that he would have retained Daryl Smith. He's been critical of Bortles. You think he's thrilled with being 2-12. You think that makes his job easier or more fun?

Funny - when Oesher agrees with someone he's telling the truth. If he says something someone disagrees with he's a shill for the company. Strange how that works.

Critical of Bortles? Are you referring to his parroting of Bradley's comments?

Wow! There's a big break from the party line!  /sarc

He is a shill for the company and I don't remember anyone citing Oesher as a supporting opinion.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:Send your question to Oesher. He takes them, you know.

Or perhaps someone on this board will answer - it's chock full of coaches and general managers.

So, with no one here being a GM, coach, etc. you are implying we are all wrong and should not have an opinion.  This would also include you.  And even further, what would be the point of having a discussion board?  I'm just curious...

Quote:Critical of Bortles? Are you referring to his parroting of Bradley's comments?

Wow! There's a big break from the party line!  /sarc

He is a shill for the company and I don't remember anyone citing Oesher as a supporting opinion.

Thanks for proving my point.

Quote:So, with no one here being a GM, coach, etc. you are implying we are all wrong and should not have an opinion.  This would also include you.  And even further, what would be the point of having a discussion board?  I'm just curious...

Do you need to call someone over for help?

I'm "defending" Oesher's right to have an opinion within the confines of who he is employed by. But of course if you disagree with him he's a "shill". (see Malabar and StroudCrowd).

I would never want people to stop giving opinions. This is our Comedy Central. I would miss the junior GMs and the Fire the OC! crowd. They are fun to read.

I would greatly miss the "fans" who never see any good in the team they "support". The ones who seem to take delight in a team's misfortune. Those who seek some weird sort of validation on an anonymous message board. The internet tough guys. The people who went to the TMD School for Message Board Posters.

And of course the people who seem level-headed and humorous.

Quote:Do you need to call someone over for help?

I'm "defending" Oesher's right to have an opinion within the confines of who he is employed by. But of course if you disagree with him he's a "shill". (see Malabar and StroudCrowd).

I would never want people to stop giving opinions. This is our Comedy Central. I would miss the junior GMs and the Fire the OC! crowd. They are fun to read.

I would greatly miss the "fans" who never see any good in the team they "support". The ones who seem to take delight in a team's misfortune. Those who seek some weird sort of validation on an anonymous message board. The internet tough guys. The people who went to the TMD School for Message Board Posters.

It's hard to see much good in the team we support.  We don't take delight in the team's misfortune.  We're pissed off!  We're pointing out what's wrong and wondering why nothing ever gets done about it.  Just because we rip on the team doesn't mean we want them to fail. 

One of these years.............

Quote:Do you need to call someone over for help?

"A self-defeating (or self-refuting) statement is one that fails to meet its own standard. In other words, it is a statement that cannot live up to its own criteria."

You're assertion is that those on here who have a different opinion than you are wrong (or idiots as you've put it before).  You are judging us by the criteria that our "opinions" are invalid because we are not qualified GMs, coaches, etc.  You are correct that our observations that you claim are incorrect because they are "negative" are not qualified observations.  They are not qualified as far as being "stamped" true by a real GM, HC, etc..  However, I haven't seen anyone do anything on here other than exclaim their own personal opinion.

<span style="font-weight:bold;">"How do you expose self-defeating statements?</span>

13. You shouldn't judge.

The person who says this is making a judgment, namely, that it is wrong to judge! You might respond, "If it is wrong to judge, then why are you judging?""

In light of the logic above, your judgement of "us" is incorrect as well (unless of course you are Dave Caldwell or Gus Bradley) and have qualifications as a HC, GM, etc.  So, unless that's true, you should try to be more respectful and just enjoy the discussions here.

http://apologeticjunkie.blogspot.com/200...ments.html

Quote:It's hard to see much good in the team we support.  We don't take delight in the team's misfortune.  We're [BAD WORD REMOVED] off!  We're pointing out what's wrong and wondering why nothing ever gets done about it.  Just because we rip on the team doesn't mean we want them to fail. 
^This

Quote:Send your question to Oesher. He takes them, you know.

Hahaha way to deflect the question since you can't answer it.

I also love how you call people out for not being "fans" simply because they criticize the team.

Quote:I'm "defending" Oesher's right to have an opinion within the confines of who he is employed by. But of course if you disagree with him he's a "shill". (see Malabar and StroudCrowd).

On points where I agree with him, he's still a shill. Your "within the confines" is the definition of being a shill. He can only say what the management allows him to say.

And I'm truly amazed at the lengths the apologists will go in order to reach for excuses for an obvious disaster such as the ST play this year.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:On points where I agree with him, he's still a shill. Your "within the confines" is the definition of being a shill. He can only say what the management allows him to say.

And I'm truly amazed at the lengths the apologists will go in order to reach for excuses for an obvious disaster such as the ST play this year.

Kind of sad, huh? They say misery loves company.

(This post was last modified: 12-17-2014, 03:41 PM by badger.)

Quote: 

Todays O-Zone

<div>Frank from Knoxville, TN:
Hey, Zone … while I agree with your premise that changing coaches for the sake of change is generally a bad idea, I gotta disagree on the special teams coach. Just because they threw caution to the wind Sunday with the onside kick and fake punt does not excuse the very poor performance overall this year by that unit. Blocked field goals, blocked punts, below average return game and poor fundamental blocking schemes have been the norm all year, not the exception. Changing up special teams by and large is much easier than installing a brand-new offense or defense and it sends the message to the staff that status quo is not acceptable and everyone is accountable. I think it's a move Gus has to make as it is a glaring weakness on a team where it should be a strength with all the youth and speed on the roster.
John: This is a common refrain, but let’s be clear here: special teams coordinator Mike Mallory will return. I’d be stunned if he doesn’t, and even beyond that … he just will. First, if you’re going to get rid of a coach you need to make sure you replace him with someone better. That will be difficult with Mallory, who is a very good special teams coach who would have a job the next day if he weren’t retained by the Jaguars (which won’t happen, as I said …) Second, the staff and everyone knows the status quo is not acceptable and everyone’s accountable; messages aren’t necessary. Third, the Jaguars have made Mallory’s job exceedingly difficult this season. Ideally, teams like to have seven or eight players who primarily focus on special teams. They’re called “core-four” players because they play on two coverage teams and two return teams. Players such as , ,  and J.T. Thomas have moved off special teams this season to bigger defensive or offensive roles and the team also released core-four players such as Chris Prosinski, Winston Guy and Dekoda Watson. and  remain, but the lack of such players could be seen as a reason for a high number of special teams errors this season. A lot of people will see that as an excuse, and that’s fine. But if you begin the offseason waiting anxiously for a new special teams coach it’s going to be a long, frustrating wait.

</div>

the man has no shame

he totes the homer line, but in the end he still gives himself an out in case he does get fired with: "if you are going to fire the coach, you have to replace him with someone better.."

so in the event we fire him, he can easily flip flop and say we found a better guy and he was never wrong about Mallory.

Quote:Maybe I missed it but when did Vic ever criticize a decision by Gene Smith? And no, Vic didn't do humor - he did the grumpy old man bit. It's called a difference in style. And I usually enjoyed Vic.

I think that people tend to think more highly of Vic as more time has passed, but like Oesher, he was employed by the Jaguars and we all knew there are limits to how strongly he can come down on the Jags. Why is that a difficult concept for some? 

Vic was not more harsh regarding the Jags than Oesher. They have different styles, that's all. Oesher has made it clear that he would have retained Daryl Smith. He's been critical of Bortles. You think he's thrilled with being 2-12. You think that makes his job easier or more fun?

I miss Vic, Oesher has nothing of substance to say, ever.  I could do his job, and I am no where near knowledgeable to do so.

Quote:I miss Vic, Oesher has nothing of substance to say, ever.  I could do his job, and I am no where near knowledgeable to do so.

All you have to do is more or less say everything that is happening is fine, all the coaches are fine/"very good"

If something doesn't go well, you just say "they have to get better" and then drum up a few excuses.