Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Tom Coughlin Hired!

Quote:Find it funny you didn't post the PFT post on Marrone which is full of pointing and laughing. Gotta protect that agenda right.

Quote:I'm not basing the hire on anything. I have said more than once that I am taking the wait and see approach.

Now, the whiners who have already decreed this move a failure......... Well, I thought someone with your intelligence could have figured it out.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:When is the last time the Jags weren't the butt of all NFL jokes on PFT? Now, take a look at these comments.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/09/report-jaguars-hire-coughlin-for-executive-role-extend-caldwell/'>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/09/report-jaguars-hire-coughlin-for-executive-role-extend-caldwell/</a>

The fans of other teams are looking a whole lot smarter than a lot of Jag fans right about now.

Lol ok. We not going anywhere with Bortles and this vanilla coaching staff, plain and simple.

Quote:Lol ok. We not going anywhere with Bortles and this vanilla coaching staff, plain and simple.

Tom Coughlin is someone I have confidence in.  But his ability to resolve the issues that result from being the Head Coach are greatly reduced as VP of Football...

Yes, maybe we'll get some more talent.  But we already have loads of talent...  In my opinion, we have had the talent to win the division the last 2 years...  TC should be the HC, not the VP... 

We'll get 6 or 7 wins next year and miss out on the Division title.  It will be enough for most to be happy and say "the needle is pointing up".  But we'll be stuck in mediocrity land for a couple years until Coughlin can convince the owner that bigger change in the coaching staff needs to occur.

Quote:Tom Coughlin is someone I have confidence in. But his ability to resolve the issues that result from being the Head Coach are greatly reduced as VP of Football...

Yes, maybe we'll get some more talent. But we already have loads of talent... In my opinion, we have had the talent to win the division the last 2 years... TC should be the HC, not the VP...

We'll get 6 or 7 wins next year and miss out on the Division title. It will be enough for most to be happy and say "the needle is pointing up". But we'll be stuck in mediocrity land for a couple years until Coughlin can convince the owner that bigger change in the coaching staff needs to occur.

We've been stuck in Mediocrity land for a Century. Tom Coughlin is not god. The talent is there, the coaching is not.

Quote:Tom Coughlin is someone I have confidence in. But his ability to resolve the issues that result from being the Head Coach are greatly reduced as VP of Football...

Yes, maybe we'll get some more talent. But we already have loads of talent... In my opinion, we have had the talent to win the division the last 2 years... TC should be the HC, not the VP...

We'll get 6 or 7 wins next year and miss out on the Division title. It will be enough for most to be happy and say "the needle is pointing up". But we'll be stuck in mediocrity land for a couple years until Coughlin can convince the owner that bigger change in the coaching staff needs to occur.
I beg to differ.

I believe we win 7 to 9 games and do win AFC South

Quote:We've been stuck in Mediocrity land for a Century. Tom Coughlin is not god. The talent is there, the coaching is not.
This is going to be the debate that lasts until this time next year.

Buckle up boys.

It's going to be a long and bumpy ride

Quote:I beg to differ.

I believe we win 7 to 9 games and do win AFC South

I hope you're right.  I don't see it..  I see 7 wins as being the ceiling...  6 wins seems likely.

I'm sorry, but the fact that we're keeping "continuity" means we are about to ride or die with BB6.  We're in a great position to be very mediocre next year.  Of course, mediocre is better than what we have been under Gus Bradley.

But this team has the talent to be AFCS champs with a real coach and a real coaching staff.  Mike Smith could have brought in new blood at OC and DC.  Instead, here we are.  Continuing the Gus Bradley legacy.  

I just don't see how Tom Coughlin can change much, if we are in fact keeping the majority of the coaches---  Which has been reported to be the case.

7 wins tops.  6 wins, more likely.

Have yall seend our schedule? Lol

Quote:That's right - I missed those two. Both good players.

Marcus Stroud too I think

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2017, 09:59 PM by BklynJag.)

Doug Marrone is great man & Coach, not gonna shake up our culture....I like the move"

@MarcedesLewis89 #Jaguars

Hahahahahahaha. Wasnt the culture part of the problem. Guess he likes a losing Culture

Quote:When is the last time the Jags weren't the butt of all NFL jokes on PFT? Now, take a look at these comments.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...-caldwell/

The fans of other teams are looking a whole lot smarter than a lot of Jag fans right about now.

Just an interesting note, Coughlin comes from Parcell's coaching tree too.

Quote:Doug Marrone is great man & Coach, not gonna shake up our culture....I like the move"

@MarcedesLewis89 #Jaguars

Hahahahahahaha. Wasnt the culture part of the problem. Guess he likes a losing Culture

So more S*P*R*I*N*K*L*E*S? Great..... I hope this is just Lewis being dumb and thinking the wrong thing. Culture under Bradley was a big issue.....
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

Quote:Tom Coughlin is someone I have confidence in.  But his ability to resolve the issues that result from being the Head Coach are greatly reduced as VP of Football...

Yes, maybe we'll get some more talent.  But we already have loads of talent...  In my opinion, we have had the talent to win the division the last 2 years...  TC should be the HC, not the VP... 
I agree with this part of your post completely.

I think he is coming in as an advisor-type role.

If Coughlin does not have power in terms of free agency and draft choices, and has more of an "advisory" roll... then this is a completely pointless hire.. a hire to appease the fans.

If he was hired to be the boss and call the shots - then that's great, but that makes Caldwell pointless.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

So is Tom in charge of deciding on free agents?

Quote:I hope you're right.  I don't see it..  I see 7 wins as being the ceiling...  6 wins seems likely.

I'm sorry, but the fact that we're keeping "continuity" means we are about to ride or die with BB6.  We're in a great position to be very mediocre next year.  Of course, mediocre is better than what we have been under Gus Bradley.

But this team has the talent to be AFCS champs with a real coach and a real coaching staff.  Mike Smith could have brought in new blood at OC and DC.  Instead, here we are.  Continuing the Gus Bradley legacy.  

I just don't see how Tom Coughlin can change much, if we are in fact keeping the majority of the coaches---  Which has been reported to be the case.

7 wins tops.  6 wins, more likely.
Suppose we brought in another coach-Mike Smith, Haley, Shanahan.

What's the odds we would play with a QB other than Bortles, barring injury? 

What QB?  Guys like Tyrod Taylor?  Jay Cutler?

Would you be willing to possibly trade a 1 and a 4 (a 1, as it stands now, that's a top 5 pick) for a largely unproven Garoppolo? 

If you drafted a QB this year, what is the likelihood he replicates what Dak Prescott did?

Even if you don't think Bortles is ultimately the long term answer, he is likely the most viable QB option for this team this year.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We're making the switch from Seattle South to Denver East. Look at how Elway works in their organization and that's what we're doing here, ie putting a winning name is a position to have input on direction while drawing interest in the team.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Would you be willing to possibly trade a 1 and a 4 (a 1, as it stands now, that's a top 5 pick) for a largely unproven Garoppolo? 

If you drafted a QB this year, what is the likelihood he replicates what Dak Prescott did?

Even if you don't think Bortles is ultimately the long term answer, he is likely the most viable QB option for this team this year.

Get out of here with that common sense. It's not wanted around these parts. Your choices are pitchforks and torches or ice cream and sprinkles.

No QB available to trade for is worth the trade. There's no great first round QB to be had, and if there were they wouldn't be on the board at our pick. Best bet for now seems to bring in a QB some time in rounds 2-5 and let the competition be open. Maybe a cheap vet in the mix, but no blockbuster trades. That seems like the sensible approach whether you like Bortles or not. Unless you're frothing at the mouth with love or hatred for the guy.

Quote:Get out of here with that common sense. It's not wanted around these parts. Your choices are pitchforks and torches or ice cream and BCHBUNNIE FOR HEAD CHEERLEADER.

No QB available to trade for is worth the trade. There's no great first round QB to be had, and if there were they wouldn't be on the board at our pick. Best bet for now seems to bring in a QB some time in rounds 2-5 and let the competition be open. Maybe a cheap vet in the mix, but no blockbuster trades. That seems like the sensible approach whether you like Bortles or not. Unless you're frothing at the mouth with love or hatred for the guy.

If Bortles plays 14 games next year like he did the last 2 this year then this is a 10 win team. I think he can and Marrone is a good choice to get him there.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato