Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
To all you tankers...

Quote:Sure you can, give me another of those lottery winner stories that I had to go back 4 whole years to blow apart.

Blow apart? You've found one example of a third round QB turning into a possibly top 5 guy at his position. Your next move is to bring up Tom Brady from more than a decade back.

Not to confuse you with more math, but the odds of repeating this on demand are really really bad. Thus the analogy of the lottery winner. Sorry this wasn't clear enough for you.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Are we not allowed to trade up? Dave Caldwell proved he's not in ATL.

Teams usually don't part with #1 overall picks when a Manning/ Luck/ Aikman or Bridgewater is sitting there. 

I want the first pick....

I'm also not going to complain too much about our young guys stepping up and getting a W.

I still hope the other teams find ways to win.

I hope we continue to improve, but still get the 1st pick.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:So let's break down the bibber:

Bibber allegedly wants to win.

Bibber says that winning games is bad.

Bibber says that winning is losing, and losing is winning.

So, when bibber says that they want to win, does it mean that they actually want to win, or do they want to lose?

They say it's about long term winning, so I hear. Here's the problem though. Bibber has so confused the definition of winning and losing, that nobody can trust that they actually want to win long term. I truly believe that they want to lose long term. It fits what bibber does, which is be bibber.

Now, isn't it a whole lot simpler to just want a team to win or lose? I want the Jags to win every gameday, every FA period, and every draft. I know this is a concept that bibber will never understand, but it's completely possible to stay on one side of the fence.

I want the team to win long term however that has to happen.  Winning three to four games as compared to one or two games doesn't interest me.

Quote:Joe Flacco was drafted with the 18th pick.

Aaron Rodgers was drafted with the 24th pick.

Drew Brees was drafted with the 64th pick.

Ben Roethlisberger was drafted with the 11th pick.

Tom Brady was drafted with the 199th pick.

Brad Johsnon was drafted with the 227th pick.

Trent Dilfer was drafted with 6th pick.

Kurt Warner was undrafted.

The only QBs drafted with the 1st pick to win a Super Bowl since 2000 are the Mannings.

I don't understand the #1 pick or bust movement. It doesn't guarantee you anything. Bridgey could end up being a JaMarcus Russell.

Well, the same folks whining like jilted little school girls because the team won today will be crucifying the front office if they draft their savior, Bridgewater, if he turns out to be a bust.

One particular whiner who has an unnatural affection for glitter will claim he wasn't in favor of drafting Bridgewater the second after he's drafted by the Jags so he can hedge his bets. It's what she does.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:I want the first pick....

I'm also not going to complain too much about our young guys stepping up and getting a W.

I still hope the other teams find ways to win.

I hope we continue to improve, but still get the 1st pick.

I'm right with you on that

Its not like somebody made a thread complaining about winning, yet we have somebody rubbing in the win like we are suppose to be mad that we won

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

Quote:When you have a chance to get one you get him, that just dont happen often with 32 teams.

The only QBs drafted with the 1st pick to win a Super Bowl since 2000 are the Mannings.

I don't understand the #1 pick or bust movement. It doesn't guarantee you anything. Bridgey could end up being a JaMarcus Russell.

You find football players where you find football players.

I'm not saying I disagree with the tanking crowd; I get the argument. I do. I wouldn't be upset if the team gets the first overall pick.

Its this idea that no one can be happy seeing their team win a game that gets me.

The draft isn't a guarantee. The first overall pick isn't a guarantee. There's guys to build around all over the draft.

"The season's not over... we still have a bunch of games to lose..." - TemporaryName

"The middle of the field is like Narnia to us, we don't believe it really exists" - Marvsin

matty ice flynn is doing well

(This post was last modified: 11-24-2013, 05:51 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:As long as we're in the top 4 (top tier), we'll have a surefire stud: Teddy, Clowney, Barr, or Matthews.

The last 2 are not really the kind of difference makers that the first 2 could be. Not saying they aren't very good, but Teddy and Clowney are the kind of players that turn a losing franchise around. 

Quote:Do you wanna be winning 7 games every year or do you wanna be in the playoffs every year, thats the difference a franchise QB makes, thats why people want to get the best prospect, get that thru your thick skull.

You get it. 

Quote:Wins are great if they are showing actual improvement.  Quality wins.  Wins are great if you have a foundation on which you plan to build your team. The reality is that this roster was gutted and Caldwell has NOT YET put that foundation into place.  There is no significant perceived improvement that matters this year.  Joekel is out.  Blackmon is gone.  This roster is filled to the brink with practice squad scrubs.

Yep, were either of the 2 Jags wins this season quality wins? Not even close. 

(This post was last modified: 11-24-2013, 05:53 PM by knarnn.)

Quote:Teams usually don't part with #1 overall picks when a Manning/ Luck/ Aikman or Bridgewater is sitting there.

And Bridgewater is none of those. Winston? Maybe more so.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:SUCK ON THIS WIN!
Amen

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:Well, the same folks whining like jilted little school girls because the team won today will be crucifying the front office if they draft their savior, Bridgewater, if he turns out to be a bust.

One particular whiner who has an unnatural affection for glitter will claim he wasn't in favor of drafting Bridgewater the second after he's drafted by the Jags so he can hedge his bets. It's what she does.
I much rather he be a bust on our team then winning meaningless games and he becomes a franchise QB for Houston, and we draft just another guy.

Noone says anything is a guarantee.  But you'd rather have the 1st pick in each round vs. having a team in your division have that advantage.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:How about we have an argument without resorting to personal attacks?

Point me to where I've said -- since you quoted me in your last post -- that I'm upset that we've won.  I won't be waiting, because never have I said that I was upset at the win.  In fact I called it a great win in my first post in this topic.  Apparently you missed that when making your personal attack.

The simple fact of the matter is that this season is not going to end up as a winning season.  I suppose you are satisfied with 3-4 wins a year
.  I know that I'm not.  I know that many others are not.  I'm not sure why you think that we should be.  Because we're a bad team?  I'd much rather us become a good team.

If we have ended up giving the Texans their franchise QB for the next so many years
-- how is that not a bad thing?  I'm curious as to what your argument is there.  Obviously there's no guarantee that Bridgewater will be great.  Or even good.  However, we've definitely helped the Texans put themselves in the position to make that decision for themselves.  If they end up making the right decision -- either taking a franchise QB, or an Elite DE or trading down to get several picks to make themselves a better team -- how is it not bad for the Jaguars?

You can't assume that Caldwell will make all the right decisions, and then not also assume that the Texans will too.  If they improve at a better rate than us, then we've dug our hole a little deeper.  And if Caldwell is going to make the right decisions, I'd much rather he have the opportunity to choose between all available choices.  

Ultimately -- how did this win ultimately help us?  Because we played well?  If that's the case, then winning shouldn't matter.  If the team played well -- win or lose, they're improving.  A victory does nothing to hinder nor assist that development.  
First of all, there was no personal attack. You say that you're happy with the win, then what are you complaining about? Do you see the confusion you cause your readers?

Now, to the two highlighted sections: Yes, I am happy with 3-4 wins a year. I would be a whole lot happier with 19 wins a year. I am not ambiguous about my wishes when it comes to wins. I don't play the "lose to win" game because if I ever did, I would lose any semblance of credibility, just as you have.

Second, You have crowned an unquantifiable asset as something quantifiable. You don't have a clue as to what the draft will bring next year. Hell, the guys that get paid millions don't. That's why your stance and theory is fundamentally flawed. Unless you're madam Cleo or something, you don't have the first clue as to who the successful players of the 2014 draft will be. To display the arrogance of proclaiming the "one player or bust" position, you show your shortsightedness, and lack of understanding of not only the history of the draft, but the statistical probability of the "every egg in one basket" theory.

Now, all that aside, I am not going to delve into this any farther. You view winning as a bad thing. There are some boundaries that should never be crossed. You crossed that boundary by saying losing would be better. You're tainted. You can't undo that. You sold your soul, my man. I feel bad for you.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote:SUCK ON THIS WIN!
they have 8 pages of sucking on it lol

(This post was last modified: 11-24-2013, 05:54 PM by Jinjo.)

Quote:Oh really? You don't think pending rape charges might cause his stock to fall?

No, if he plays next year and dominates again like this year, he will be picked first.

Quote:I want the team to win long term however that has to happen.  Winning three to four games as compared to one or two games doesn't interest me.

This states it perfectly. 

So Vikings get a tie.. Does that count as half a win in terms of standings?
Shock the world

Quote:Noone says anything is a guarantee.  But you'd rather have the 1st pick in each round vs. having a team in your division have that advantage.
Yup thats another thing to take into account, we will have the first pick in every single round

Which gives us major trade bait advantage.

(This post was last modified: 11-24-2013, 05:56 PM by Mowerguy.)

like a lot of #1 QB have.......high QB picks scare me. All the media hype has them thinking they're already good.

Then the opponents Defenses paint a great big target on them and say 'WELCOME! To the N-F-L Boy!" :devil:

Nope, nope  nope  give me a lot of  picks spread over the draft to give our team a lot of the great young talent coming out of the college teams. That's how you build long term.

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson