Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Tom Coughlin Hired!

I'm fine with this, basically Khan is giving Caldwell one season to show something with the same staff/roster. If they stink it up next year Tom's already here to find a new GM and coach.

It's almost exactaly what happened with Gene Smith post Jack Del Rio. Hopefully this time they put it all together and we don't have to blow it up in a year. But if we do at least we have a head start this time.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2017, 08:42 AM by Mowerguy.)

Between Marrone and TC I bet things shape up on this team.

Two veteran coaches here now ....you're going to see changes in the team.

On drafting I would think a simple majority (2 of 3) would rule as well.

This has a lot of potential!

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

The rumor was Coughlin didnt like Bortles, so now what?

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2017, 08:47 AM by EricC85.)

Quote:The rumor was Coughlin didnt like Bortles, so now what?

They wait and see, Caldwell Bortles and probably Marrone are all tied at the hip.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

"The rumor...."

Coughlin gonna pull a move for the ages. Fire Caldwell and Marrone midseason and seize ULTIMAATEEEE POWWWEEEEEEEEEERR

Quote:Coughlin gonna pull a move for the ages. Fire Caldwell and Marrone midseason and seize ULTIMAATEEEE POWWWEEEEEEEEEERR
He will be high on metamucil and snatch control from Khan via force!

Quote:Probably because Schefter is on ESPN 

I spit coffee all over the computer when I read this... ROFL! 

This greatly improves the odds TC will one day be in the pride.

Quote:He will be high on metamucil and snatch control from Khan via force!

[Image: vy6oo2.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2017, 09:49 AM by Jaguar Warrior.)

Quote:[Image: vy6oo2.jpg]

<b>Dave Caldwell "In the name of the Jacksonville Jaguars, you're out-of-line, Tom."

Darth Coughlin "Are you threatening me, General Manager?"

Dave Caldwell "The Owner will decide your fate."

Darth Coughlin "I am the Owner!"

Dave Caldwell "Not yet."

Darth Coughlin "It's treason, then."</b>

<b>Darth Coughlin "EYEAAAAAAAAAH"</b>

Okay Darth Coughlin made my morning.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:Suppose we brought in another coach-Mike Smith, Haley, Shanahan.

What's the odds we would play with a QB other than Bortles, barring injury? 

What QB?  Guys like Tyrod Taylor?  Jay Cutler?

Would you be willing to possibly trade a 1 and a 4 (a 1, as it stands now, that's a top 5 pick) for a largely unproven Garoppolo? 

If you drafted a QB this year, what is the likelihood he replicates what Dak Prescott did?

Even if you don't think Bortles is ultimately the long term answer, he is likely the most viable QB option for this team this year.

BB6 is a bust.  Sorry to break it to everyone.  He may really focus this year and get to mediocre for a while.  But he's not the answer at QB.  He's not a franchise QB.

As far as your questions, yes.  It's time to bring in real competition to push BB6 and to see if there is some other QB out there that is at least marginally better than he is.  

And yes, it time to begin drafting QBs as well as bringing in journey-man QBs.  

What's wrong with that?  The QB position needs to be addressed.  And it needs to be addressed this off-season.  Real competition and a replacement needs to be identified.  Draft, develop, and repeat the process.  

We drafted BB6.  We tried to develop him, and have failed.  It's time to repeat the process with another QB.  This isn't rocket surgery.  As for answers in Free Agency...  Who knows?  Maybe Tyrod Taylor is a stop gap.  Maybe he's a good camp QB that will push BB6 to be a better QB and reach is ceiling as a mediocre QB.  At any rate, it's important to bring in competition.

As for drafting, yes!  Draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd or wherever you find one with value.  Maybe they will be a Dak Prescot, or Russel Wilson type pick up.  You act like doing these things is a bad idea.

Do you think it's not time to bring in competition to push/replace Blake Bortles?  Because I think it's time.  The fact that we are keeping the coaching staff is hinting at the idea that we aren't looking push/replace BB6.  This would be a mistake.  And I hope Coughlin can recognize that.  It's time to begin the process of finding our franchise QB.  Cuz BB6 ain't it.

Quote:BB6 is a bust.  Sorry to break it to everyone.  He may really focus this year and get to mediocre for a while.  But he's not the answer at QB.  He's not a franchise QB.

As far as your questions, yes.  It's time to bring in real competition to push BB6 and to see if there is some other QB out there that is at least marginally better than he is.  

What's wrong with that?  The QB position needs to be addressed.  And it needs to be addressed this off-season.  Real competition and a replacement needs to be identified.  Draft, develop, and repeat the process.  

We drafted BB6.  We tried to develop him, and have failed.  It's time to repeat the process with another QB.  This isn't rocket surgery.  As for answers in Free Agency...  Who knows?  Maybe Tyrod Taylor is a stop gap.  Maybe he's a good camp QB that will push BB6 to be a better QB and reach is ceiling as a mediocre QB.  At any rate, it's important to bring in competition.

As for drafting, yes!  Draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd or wherever you find one with value.  Maybe they will be a Dak Prescot, or Russel Wilson type pick up.  You act like doing these things is a bad idea.

Do you think it's not time to bring in competition to push/replace Blake Bortles?  Because I think it's time.  The fact that we are keeping the coaching staff is hinting at the idea that we aren't looking push/replace BB6.  This would be a mistake.  And I hope Coughlin can recognize that.  It's time to begin the process of finding our franchise QB.  Cuz BB6 ain't it.
I agree 100% that competition needs to be brought in.

I disagree that Bortles is a lost cause at this point. Some QBs bloom later than sooner. He may not, but he may.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote:Dave Caldwell "In the name of the Jacksonville Jaguars, you're out-of-line, Tom."

Darth Coughlin "Are you threatening me, General Manager?"

Dave Caldwell "The Owner will decide your fate."

Darth Coughlin "I am the Owner!"

Dave Caldwell "Not yet."

Darth Coughlin "It's treason, then."

Darth Coughlin "EYEAAAAAAAAAH"

Hahaha that's exactly what I had pictured in my head.

Quote:Okay Darth Coughlin made my morning.

Khan as Yoda would fit well too.

We draft Watson. If Bortles can't turn it around you slide him in. If he does, then you flip Watson for a future 1st
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:BB6 is a bust.  Sorry to break it to everyone.  He may really focus this year and get to mediocre for a while.  But he's not the answer at QB.  He's not a franchise QB.

For the purposes of this discussion, I do not comment on the long term viability of Blake Bortles.  My answer focuses solely on the short term.

If you bring in competition at QB, I have no problem with that.  My concern is what are the reasonable expectations for whomever you bring in?  Given the careers of the guys likely to be available as free agents to date, we shouldn't expect a Brees type resurgence at the position.  In fact, most of the guys likely to be available as free agents are mediocre.  Tyrod Taylor is probably the best of the group, but most Bills fans I've seen are less than enthused about him.  The Bills apparently aren't that crazy about him, either.  Cutler has been a coach killer everywhere he's been.  Unless someone like Cousins unexpectedly becomes available on the open market, we aren't likely to sign anyone that would be a satisfactory long or short term upgrade over Bortles.

The same holds true for the rookie class.  I am not opposed to drafting a QB this year in the mid rounds.  But even if we spent the #4 overall on a QB, chances are he will be far from a polished, finished NFL product on draft day.  Chances are, he will need work, time to learn the offense, time to learn NFL defenses and adjust to the game.  While rookie years like Big Ben, Ryan, Flacco, and Prescott are more common than they once were, they still represent the exception, not the rule.  The QB we draft may develop into a good pro in time, it's still folly to expect a rookie QB to come in and be the savior.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:I agree 100% that competition needs to be brought in.

I disagree that Bortles is a lost cause at this point. Some QBs bloom later than sooner. He may not, but he may.

I hope I'm wrong about Bortles.  But that throwing motion and the subsequent inaccuracy and wobblers isn't something I think can be fixed, long term.  

The bright side is there is so much talent on this team.  All Bortles has to do is be even slightly more mediocre than terrible, and we are AFCS champs, in my opinion.  I just think its really time to begin looking at alternatives.  

Quote:I hope I'm wrong about Bortles. But that throwing motion and the subsequent inaccuracy and wobblers isn't something I think can be fixed, long term.

The bright side is there is so much talent on this team. All Bortles has to do is be even slightly more mediocre than terrible, and we are AFCS champs, in my opinion. I just think its really time to begin looking at alternatives.

Different reports have come out saying that bortles bad delivery is a result of footwork, which he wasn't allowed to work on in the offseason because of Olson.

Add to that shaky footwork the tendinitis and separated shoulders and you can piece together yourself how bortles went from a stud in 2015 to average at best in 2016.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."