Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Philosophy Discussions

Quote:No, only Gilmore can be Happy.

"Says you."

[Image: Scorpion-Wikia_Characters_Happy_Quinn_001.jpg]

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:well once the replies to my posts become repetitive and add no value, but rather say the same "I believe this and I believe that", there's not much more to say...Philosophy is all about beliefs and non beliefs

To me, "philosophy" is not about unalterable beliefs and non-beliefs, it's about facts and logic and the willingness to examine your own assumptions and challenge your own beliefs.   Without that, there is no discussion, there's only a statement of beliefs, and that's the end of it.   The title of the thread  is "Philosophy Discussion."  

Quote:To me, "philosophy" is not about unalterable beliefs and non-beliefs, it's about facts and logic and the willingness to examine your own assumptions and challenge your own beliefs.   Without that, there is no discussion, there's only a statement of beliefs, and that's the end of it.   The title of the thread  is "Philosophy Discussion."  

You hypocrite you...

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 07-26-2015, 10:51 AM by wrong_box.)

Quote:To me, "philosophy" is not about unalterable beliefs and non-beliefs, it's about facts and logic
and the willingness to examine your own assumptions and challenge your own beliefs.   Without that, there is no discussion, there's only a statement of beliefs, and that's the end of it.   The title of the thread  is "Philosophy Discussion."  
The problem with that is, that there are not always facts to back up your beliefs...Once again I'm walking on the edge of the razor thin line into religion...While some believe in the existence of the big bang therory, and that we humans evolved from a different species over millions of years, the other major belief (of which we can not talk about) can not be backed up by fact... 

Quote:Live your life right, and there should be no worries.

How do you define what is right?

Quote:How do you define what is right?

Right and wrong is strictly based on opinion.
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:Right and wrong is strictly based on opinion.

Eggzactly.

(This post was last modified: 07-26-2015, 10:19 PM by jtmoney.)

Quote:The problem with that is, that there are not always facts to back up your beliefs...Once again I'm walking on the edge of the razor thin line into religion...While some believe in the existence of the big bang therory, and that we humans evolved from a different species over millions of years, the other major belief (of which we can not talk about) can not be backed up by fact...

Philosophy often times has you argue a certain point of view even if it isn't your own. One way to open your mind and allow yourself to question and/or learn new things. Many kids know Santa Clause brings them gifts each Christmas. If they never questioned that or always argue what they believed with their fingers in their ears, they would be 30 years old still thinking Santa Clause is bringing them gifts.

Quote:Right and wrong is strictly based on opinion.

You're wrong...right?

Smile
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:You're wrong...right?

Smile

Left.

Two wrongs may not make a right, but three lefts do.

Quote:Left.

But what if I live in a world where all lefts aren't perfectly symmetrical 90 degrees?

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Quote:But what if I live in a world where all lefts aren't perfectly symmetrical 90 degrees?

I pity you.

Quote:Left.

Quote:But what if I live in a world where all lefts aren't perfectly symmetrical 90 degrees?

Didn't Beyonce already explain this?  "Everything is in the box to the left."  They teach this stuff in elementary school.

Quote:Didn't Beyonce already explain this? "Everything is in the box to the left." They teach this stuff in elementary school.

Who it's"Beyonce?"