Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Another example of the ineptness of Jaguars coaching in 2016

(This post was last modified: 08-01-2017, 07:53 AM by SeldomRite.)

I saw this on Reddit, but it's so horrifying I had to bring it to the board's attention: http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/blo...he-jaguars

Nobody was as predictable with a second half lead as the Jaguars last year.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

They were going to will their way to success even if the other team knew what was coming.... hahhahahahahahaah
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

And those are the coaches we retained...
DUUUUVVVVAAAAALLLLLL!

This isnt Madden.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-01-2017, 08:17 AM)MacBrunell8 Wrote: And those are the coaches we retained...

Yes. That's a huge concern. 

Given this data I am even more concerned that the Jags didn't completely revamp the coaching staff.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

While I don't mean to excuse Gus here, it wasn't all his fault. The offense fell apart under Olsen.

Now, before I throw Olsen under the bus here, I do want to point out that he's a passing game guru by all rights. The problem is, as great as a visiionary and route-running artist as he is in the passing game, Olsen is profoundly clueless when it comes to running the ball, and if you look up his days in Oakland you'll notice a strikingly similar theme. The guy is a QB Coach, and really should never be anything more.

Plain and simple, Olsen did nothing for the running game. Under his guidance you never saw a RB build up carries like most need to, and you rarely saw one get in any kind of a rythm. They never had the chance with the Jaguars leading the league in attempts for much of the season. By the time Gus realized they needed to focus on the run, it was too late to really do anything about it. The offense had no direction when it came to running the ball.

Thisi is all going to change.

Then again, you want to be careful to not go the other direction by trying to force the run when you should be passing. I posted this in another thread, but it's worth repeating. From nfl.com...

Saddled with shaky Blake Bortless under center, the Jaguars have been open about their desire to field a run-first offense.

"Zero." Doug Marrone bluntly answered during organized team activites in June when asked how many times a game he wants to see Bortles throw the ball. "For me, I'd like to run the ball every play. I want to go back to the old way. I want to change the game."

This is excellent news for fourth-overall pick Leonard Fournette, who suddenly looks like the beating heart of a pass-averse attack set to ship football back to the 1970s.
'02

While it seems shocking when reading/viewing on paper, it was evident for those that watched the games. Predictable was #1 and playing scared was a close second. Appeared to be lack of trust between players and coaching staff. Let's hope this is taken care of this year. Talent is there, proper utilization needs to be also.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

OMG

[Image: Jaguars-3rd-down-play-calls.png]

(08-01-2017, 09:24 AM)B2hibry Wrote: While it seems shocking when reading/viewing on paper, it was evident for those that watched the games. Predictable was #1 and playing scared was a close second. Appeared to be lack of trust between players and coaching staff. Let's hope this is taken care of this year. Talent is there, proper utilization needs to be also.

When it came to game planning and situational coaching Gus and crew were bottom of the barrel. The article from SI about how badly O'Brien and crew from Houston pencil whipped the Jaguars still echoes in my mind. First order of business for success is knowing yourself. If you don't even understand your own problematic tendencies you make it easier for everyone else to take advantage of them.

It's distressing that the same coordinating crew from that clown show is still around, too. Hopefully with a real head coach in charge they'll be made to understand their own problems first.

(08-01-2017, 10:59 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(08-01-2017, 09:24 AM)B2hibry Wrote: While it seems shocking when reading/viewing on paper, it was evident for those that watched the games. Predictable was #1 and playing scared was a close second. Appeared to be lack of trust between players and coaching staff. Let's hope this is taken care of this year. Talent is there, proper utilization needs to be also.

When it came to game planning and situational coaching Gus and crew were bottom of the barrel. The article from SI about how badly O'Brien and crew from Houston pencil whipped the Jaguars still echoes in my mind. First order of business for success is knowing yourself. If you don't even understand your own problematic tendencies you make it easier for everyone else to take advantage of them.

It's distressing that the same coordinating crew from that clown show is still around, too.
Hopefully with a real head coach in charge they'll be made to understand their own problems first.

Olson and his playbook are gone.  Hackett's will be very different. 

Wash has changed coverage concepts, elements of the pass rush, and the role of the Sam LB. 

Let's not try to pretend that the 2017 jaguars will be similarly predictable to what Gus oversaw last season.

(08-01-2017, 09:28 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: OMG

Holy cow!   Wallbash
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

Sick Sick Sick
Huh

I didn't need all the charts and graphs to tell you that they were throwing the ball too much. Yeldon/Ivory was highly ineffective, however, there was never a need to be throwing 50 times a game.

Marrone said that this offense was changing entirely to the Don Coryell which centers on the power run game and takes advantage of deep verticle threats which expand the creativity in the middle of the fields. I expect Hurns and Robinson to stretch the field while Westbrook and Lee find holes in the underneath and slant concepts.

Bortles is still the issue though. I don't see the turnovers ceasing anytime soon

That is depressing to read. The article and the Play Calls on 3rd Down chart,

(This post was last modified: 08-01-2017, 01:17 PM by SeldomRite.)

(08-01-2017, 12:50 PM)TheAll22 Wrote: I didn't need all the charts and graphs to tell you that they were throwing the ball too much. Yeldon/Ivory was highly ineffective, however, there was never a need to be throwing 50 times a game.

Marrone said that this offense was changing entirely to the Don Coryell which centers on the power run game and takes advantage of deep verticle threats which expand the creativity in the middle of the fields. I expect Hurns and Robinson to stretch the field while Westbrook and Lee find holes in the underneath and slant concepts.

Bortles is still the issue though. I don't see the turnovers ceasing anytime soon

Did you read the article? It's not just about throwing too much, it's about how the Jaguars made it obvious what they were going to do in critical situations. When the defense has great certainty you'll pass just by your personnel on the field it makes the pass much harder to complete. Same for running.

And that doesn't even mention how the defense couldn't hold a lead and turned terrible playing from ahead. I think the defense last year was not nearly as good as their yardage ranking suggested.

(This post was last modified: 08-01-2017, 02:09 PM by Kane.)

Wait...

wut?

So they always passed out of 3 wide sets and were bad at it... and they always ran with less than 3 wr on the field and weren't absolutely terrible?

bahahahaha

Wow Oly....

I like the bit about how we went into prevent D in the 2nd half of every game we were leading... like not just the final 5 mins... but the final 30 it seemed.

Geez a lou...

Ol' BoB over in tinhorn country had it right... they knew exactly how we were going to run plays based on situational football.
Too predictable...
who does that really fall on though... How much of that was Gus being scared and reigning in his coordinators and how much was just crappy coordinators?

Nice round percentage numbers there... What was our sample size? 10 plays? Regardless, crazy to see.

I thought Shad's son had created an analytics department. Shouldn't he have discovered this obvious flaw?

(08-01-2017, 02:28 PM)SunriseCottage Wrote: I thought Shad's son had created an analytics department. Shouldn't he have discovered this obvious flaw?

Analytics don't mean jack if they're not implemented or are used by inept coaches.

(08-01-2017, 01:16 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(08-01-2017, 12:50 PM)TheAll22 Wrote: I didn't need all the charts and graphs to tell you that they were throwing the ball too much. Yeldon/Ivory was highly ineffective, however, there was never a need to be throwing 50 times a game.

Did you read the article? It's not just about throwing too much, it's about how the Jaguars made it obvious what they were going to do in critical situations. When the defense has great certainty you'll pass just by your personnel on the field it makes the pass much harder to complete. Same for running.

And that doesn't even mention how the defense couldn't hold a lead and turned terrible playing from ahead. I think the defense last year was not nearly as good as their yardage ranking suggested.

My point is that you gave the Jags offense too much credit 

I'm going to use everyone's favorite benchmark offense run by Tom Brady - Who for the most part runs the same offense every year - Rex Ryan was really the first guy to attack Brady the right way - Send 4 upfront and try to clog up the shorter zones creating a lot of traffic and clutter. Pass to Run Ratio is typically favored to the pass.. so the PAtriots decided they needed to stretch the field more and signed Hogan/Mitchell who does just that, stretch out the field to counter the cluttered short zones that Brady thrives on. You know exactly how Brady is going to attack. He's just better than you. 

In Marrone's case, he tries to highlight what Bortles does well, Improvise - but he needs lots of space because he's not a quick release, spin the ball through a tight window kind of guy. For Bortles to be successful - The Don Coryell Offense is kind of the ideal option for what Bortles does well and that's the brilliance of Hacket and Marrone I believe to give them some credit. They are going to try and emphasize exactly that - not focus on what Bortles can't do but emphasize what he can. Outside of getting a better QB. 

Trust me if you go back through my posts, I've been less than thrilled with the coaching staff being retained. I would have cleaned house entirely. This is not to say your concern is not a valid one. There is absolutely something to it. I can't imagine Coughlin, being the way he is, would be okay with the same offense being run. 

When Hackett took over, the team was far out of contention, you really don't want to start changing philosophy mid season
- it's bad development, it would have been disasterous. You figure in a lot of ways, this is Hacketts year to create a name for himself in the pro's since the last time he was an OC was at Syracuse, and install his personal flare on an NFL offense.