Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
QBs - I think they carry 2 with Henne gone

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced the Jags will carry only 2 QBs, and their names ain't gonna be Chad.

There are basically 3 scenarios for Blake: He plays good, he plays poorly, or he gets injured.

If the Jags are faced with either of the latter options, they will be looking to the future hard, whether that be a top rookie at the position (likely) or seeing what Brandon Allen offers going forward (unlikely.) 

Either way, Chad Henne is not the answer, and would just get in the way. 

This isn't meant as a bash Henne thread. He is what he is: a bad to mediocre back-up QB that can hold a clipboard but wont win you very many games in a pinch. He just isn't (or at least shouldn't be) in the Jags' long-term plans. 

I'll be surprised if they carry 3 QBs.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think that if Bortles suffers another poor season, the reality is that he was "mis-selected" as an early round draft pick. I know that sounds like Captain Obvious stuff, but Bortles detractors have been somehow blaming him for disappointing , when, perhaps, he never possessed the potential talent necessary to meet those high expectations. It's not his fault he was selected so high, it was the fault of the talent evaluators here in J-vile. That's where the true blame lies.

Allen should be the current backup. It's disappointing that the team didn't bring in any real competition for Blake. All this talk about every player has to earn there position, Blake hasn't earned crap.

(08-03-2017, 07:56 AM)BklynJag Wrote: Allen should be the current backup. It's disappointing that the team didn't bring in any real competition for Blake. All this talk about every player has to earn there position, Blake hasn't earned crap.

Need a tissue for your tears. lol.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(08-03-2017, 07:56 AM)BklynJag Wrote: Allen should be the current backup. It's disappointing that the team didn't bring in any real competition for Blake. All this talk about every player has to earn there position, Blake hasn't earned crap.

That's bull.

Blake is head & shoulders the best qb on this roster.  Get over your irrational hate.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(08-03-2017, 06:19 AM)SunriseCottage Wrote: I think that if Bortles suffers another poor season, the reality is that he was "mis-selected" as an early round draft pick. I know that sounds like Captain Obvious stuff, but Bortles detractors have been somehow blaming him for disappointing , when, perhaps, he never possessed the potential talent necessary to meet those high expectations. It's not his fault he was selected so high, it was the fault of the talent evaluators here in J-vile. That's where the true blame lies.

This.

(08-03-2017, 08:00 AM)I am Yoda Wrote: Blake is head & shoulders the best qb on this roster.  Get over your irrational hate.

This. And it's not even close
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Why is Henne considered a game manager and protector of the ball when he actually 58 TDs vs 63 INTs ? During his tenure with the Jags he's thrown 27 TDs and 26 INTs.

Bottom line, Henne doesn't even take risks and he still throws a ton of INTs (vs TDs) for an NFL QB.

Blake is our best shot at scraping our way to .500 this year. He just has to improve quite a bit to get there.

I hope that Allen improves enough to makes Henne expendable, because I don't trust Henne throwing the football in an NFL game after his 2016 preseason performance.

Fingers crossed that #5 can pull his act together enough that he's not the negative storyline nearly every Monday this year.

I think this team isn't good enough at the rest of the positions to warrant carrying a third quarterback. They need to figure it out this month between Allen and Henne.

That third spot is a waste on a QB on game days. It happens. But it's rare that you see two quarterbacks go down in one game. I would much rather see us carry an extra RB, TE or special teams ace over a guy that's just toting a clipboard and cup of gatorae around for three hours on Sundays.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Interesting take. Hope you're right and Marrone is feeding us random coach speak garbage when he says Henne is #2

(08-03-2017, 10:56 AM)Kane Wrote: Interesting take. Hope you're right and Marrone is feeding us random coach speak garbage when he says Henne is #2

Well Henne may very well be the #2 right now. Still doesn't mean he will be come September
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Marrone may be honest about Henne. 1010XL had a training camp update not too long ago. And some of the folks are not convinced nor impressed by what they've seen out of Allen so far. Of course a lot can change in four weeks. But, you have to be a little concerned going into this season if it's going to be Henne backing up Bortles.

Bortles is our best option of course. Which may or may not be saying much at this point. But we will absolutely fail as a team with Henne or Allen as the starter this year. This looks like a weak schedule overall on paper. With a game managing QB and a stout ground attack and defense it's fair to assume at least a 7 - 9 or 8 - 8 record. But it'll be shaky with Henne or Allen.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I think Marrone buzzed over the question and was mis-heard. He said, I gotta go #2.

(08-03-2017, 10:56 AM)Kane Wrote: Interesting take. Hope you're right and Marrone is feeding us random coach speak garbage when he says Henne is #2

Reading between the lines I believe Marrone's quote was Henne is the number #2 QB right now. I definitely think he's leaving himself an out just in case Allen shines in the preseason. Who knows, maybe some desperate team has an injury at the position and is willing to trade for Henne? He's constantly been ranked as one of the "better backup QB's in the league" FWIW.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Allen has been very unimpressive. I wouldn't bet to much on it being Bortles and Henne.
TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

(08-03-2017, 10:51 AM)Caldrac Wrote: I think this team isn't good enough at the rest of the positions to warrant carrying a third quarterback. They need to figure it out this month between Allen and Henne.

That third spot is a waste on a QB on game days. It happens. But it's rare that you see two quarterbacks go down in one game. I would much rather see us carry an extra RB, TE or special teams ace over a guy that's just toting a clipboard and cup of gatorae around for three hours on Sundays.

I agree with this.  I think they are going to give it all pre-season.  If Allen lights it up, Henne will be cut.  If he drops a stinker, Henne will be here.  Nothing decisive today needed really.

(This post was last modified: 08-03-2017, 11:50 AM by knarnn.)

(08-03-2017, 11:48 AM)TravC59 Wrote: Allen has been very unimpressive. I wouldn't bet to much on it being Bortles and Henne.

Ummmm where have you been this offseason?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(08-03-2017, 11:48 AM)TravC59 Wrote: Allen has been very unimpressive. I wouldn't bet to much on it being Bortles and Henne.

https://twitter.com/zach_goodall/status/...04/video/1