Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Florida Times Union - Jaguars claim five players off waivers

(09-03-2017, 07:19 PM)BklynJag Wrote: Not one guard claimed. Don't get it.

Okay. Who that was waived would have you claimed? Go to about any teams message board in the NFL. O line is a league wide problem. Not really gonna find teams willing to release their good ones.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Can't be happy with any running back here until the run blocking in the o-line improves. Our o-line would make a star average or worse.

The tackle they claimed has played guard on two different NFL practice squads.

Doesn't matter if there good, they just have to be better than what we have. I would accept average OL.

(09-03-2017, 06:16 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 05:52 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: The Bears just waived RB Jeremy Langford. This kid is an excellent receiver out of the backfield and a pretty decent runner. I believe he would be a great replacement for Yeldon. Get it done Jags.

I disagree. Langford has averaged a half a yard less per carry than Yeldon over their 2 years in the league. And he has done it behind a far better offensive line in Chicago.
Yeldon in a also a decent receiver out of the backfield. He's far superior to Langford in terms of pass protection, which is his biggest asset to us right now. And on top of that he's 2 years younger and has more upside. Also knows all of our protections and the offense. I'll stop there, but you get the point by now. That would be a pretty asinine decision.

You don't have a point. Jeremy Langford was good enough as a rookie to convince Ryan Pace the Bears don't need Matt Forte anymore. He was a surprise cut because of his abilities to play the position. If you just want a pass blocker, maybe you need to read up on Doug Marrone's intent to make us a run-first team. Also, the per-carry statistics mean nothing. All the age difference means is Langford has more experience than Yeldon, which is a good thing. What makes you think Yeldon has more upside than Langford?

(09-03-2017, 08:18 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 06:16 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: I disagree. Langford has averaged a half a yard less per carry than Yeldon over their 2 years in the league. And he has done it behind a far better offensive line in Chicago.
Yeldon in a also a decent receiver out of the backfield. He's far superior to Langford in terms of pass protection, which is his biggest asset to us right now. And on top of that he's 2 years younger and has more upside. Also knows all of our protections and the offense. I'll stop there, but you get the point by now. That would be a pretty asinine decision.

You don't have a point. Jeremy Langford was good enough as a rookie to convince Ryan Pace the Bears don't need Matt Forte anymore. He was a surprise cut because of his abilities to play the position. If you just want a pass blocker, maybe you need to read up on Doug Marrone's intent to make us a run-first team. Also, the per-carry statistics mean nothing. All the age difference means is Langford has more experience than Yeldon, which is a good thing. What makes you think Yeldon has more upside than Langford?

As I said above, if we had better blocking at the line all the complaints about running back will go away. A prediction. By the end of the year if blocking does not improve there will be calls to cut Fournette to be cut because he stinks and cannot hold onto the ball.

(This post was last modified: 09-03-2017, 08:40 PM by jessepeck1213.)

(09-03-2017, 08:18 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 06:16 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: I disagree. Langford has averaged a half a yard less per carry than Yeldon over their 2 years in the league. And he has done it behind a far better offensive line in Chicago.

You don't know much football do you? nowhere did I say that I only want pass protecting running backs on our team. That just happens to be yeldons role here. You wouldn't want 3 scat backs, or 3 power backs as your only running backs either. Obviously we want to be a run first team. But that doesn't mean we are going to avoid having 3rd and longs and obvious passing situations, which is where yeldons value and role is on this team. Langford isn't beating out fournette for touches, so what does he bring to the team. If someone suggested we cut ivory and pick him up it'd be a better argument. Don't tell me I don't have a point when you clearly lack knowledge on situational football.

(This post was last modified: 09-03-2017, 08:41 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(09-03-2017, 07:17 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: "According to our analysts, exactly 134 running backs were on the field for at least one pass play last season. Langford’s pass blocking grade ranked 128th among those backs. His pass blocking efficiency rating of 84.3 rating was third-worst among qualified backs."

Yes. Let's replace our back whose main reason he is on our roster is for his pass protection, with a guy who has the dropsies and is a horrible pass protector.

2 years ago when Ivory led the AFC in rushing he was the worst pass blocking back in the league.  Last year he was probably right there at the top again.

(09-03-2017, 08:41 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 07:17 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: "According to our analysts, exactly 134 running backs were on the field for at least one pass play last season. Langford’s pass blocking grade ranked 128th among those backs. His pass blocking efficiency rating of 84.3 rating was third-worst among qualified backs."

Yes. Let's replace our back whose main reason he is on our roster is for his pass protection, with a guy who has the dropsies and is a horrible pass protector.

The post I was responding to was calling to replace yeldon with Langford. I honestly wouldn't care if we cut ivory for Langford. But if we are going to cut yeldon it needs to be for someone who does his role better than him. Which is a third down back who can block and catch out of the backfield. Two weaknesses in Langford game.

2 years ago when Ivory led the AFC in rushing he was the worst pass blocking back in the league.  Last year he was probably right there at the top again.

(This post was last modified: 09-03-2017, 08:53 PM by JaguarsWoman. Edit Reason: added information )

(09-03-2017, 08:28 PM)jseymour Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 08:18 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: You don't have a point. Jeremy Langford was good enough as a rookie to convince Ryan Pace the Bears don't need Matt Forte anymore. He was a surprise cut because of his abilities to play the position. If you just want a pass blocker, maybe you need to read up on Doug Marrone's intent to make us a run-first team. Also, the per-carry statistics mean nothing. All the age difference means is Langford has more experience than Yeldon, which is a good thing. What makes you think Yeldon has more upside than Langford?

As I said above, if we had better blocking at the line all the complaints about running back will go away. A prediction. By the end of the year if blocking does not improve there will be calls to cut Fournette to be cut because he stinks and cannot hold onto the ball.

Do you know whose job it is to block?

The five guys in front of Leonard Fournette.

To be clear, I was not exactly saying we should replace T.J. Yeldon with Jeremy Langford for the role he plays. I just don't know why you would rather have a pass blocker who can't run over a runner who can't block.

(09-03-2017, 07:28 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote:

Okay. Who that was waived would have you claimed? Go to about any teams message board in the NFL. O line is a league wide problem. Not really gonna find teams willing to release their good ones.

Greco or Boone would be an upgrade or at the very least solid depth.

(09-03-2017, 08:49 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 08:28 PM)jseymour Wrote: As I said above, if we had better blocking at the line all the complaints about running back will go away. A prediction. By the end of the year if blocking does not improve there will be calls to cut Fournette to be cut because he stinks and cannot hold onto the ball.

Do you know whose job it is to block?

The five guys in front of Leonard Fournette.
n/m

(09-03-2017, 08:51 PM)BklynJag Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 07:28 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: Okay. Who that was waived would have you claimed? Go to about any teams message board in the NFL. O line is a league wide problem. Not really gonna find teams willing to release their good ones.

Neither Greco or Boone can be claimed as they are vested free agents...

Yeldon has maintained a 3.9 ypc average while Langford is merely at 3.5 ypc.

Also, if Langford is so much better catching the ball, then why does Yeldon have 86 receptions after two seasons why Langford only has 41 receptions?
'02

(09-03-2017, 08:51 PM)BklynJag Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 07:28 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: Okay. Who that was waived would have you claimed? Go to about any teams message board in the NFL. O line is a league wide problem. Not really gonna find teams willing to release their good ones.

I agree with that. But neither can be claimed. They are vesd vets that are avaible to sign with whoever. So it's possible that we are trying to work out a contract with one of them as we speak.

(This post was last modified: 09-03-2017, 09:37 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(09-03-2017, 09:05 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Yeldon has maintained a 3.9 ypc average while Langford is merely at 3.5 ypc.

Also, if Langford is so much better catching the ball, then why does Yeldon have 86 receptions after two seasons why Langford only has 41 receptions?

Langford has been dealing with an ankle injury all last season.

Since when has Yeldon created big plays like this.....

https://youtu.be/iBPKLXN-06o

https://youtu.be/85GVVQtTD_0

That first video he went untouched and didn't even have to make anyone miss.

The second one he didn't really do anything that a running back isn't expected to do except maybe that one nice 25 yard catch.

Let me ask you this question. What does Langford do that Corey Grant doesn't already do better?

(This post was last modified: 09-03-2017, 10:47 PM by Upper.)

Y'all are focusing on the wrong cut RB. Jon Williams is the prize that we should have a claim in for right now.

We also should have put a claim in on Dorian Johnson as well as Poehls.

(09-03-2017, 10:45 PM)Upper Wrote: Y'all are focusing on the wrong cut RB. Jon Williams is the prize that we should have a claim in for right now.

We also should have put a claim in on Dorian Johnson as well as Poehls.

I agree about Dorian Johnson.  I think he would be an upgrade over Shatley.

(This post was last modified: 09-03-2017, 11:36 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(09-03-2017, 10:33 PM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: That first video he went untouched and didn't even have to make anyone miss.

The second one he didn't really do anything that a running back isn't expected to do except maybe that one nice 25 yard catch.

Let me ask you this question.  What does Langford do that Corey Grant doesn't already do better?

I'm fine with Corey Grant. In fact, I like him a lot. I want Langford over Yeldon. I just don't believe you keep a RB on your roster when the only thing they are competent at, is pass blocking. That's like keeping a QB on the roster because he's the best holder in the league, yet he sucks at everything else. It doesn't make sense.