Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags better because Vernon turned us down

(This post was last modified: 11-01-2017, 11:22 AM by Bullseye.)

Sometimes the best deal is the one you DON'T make.

In 1998, the Jaguars wanted to trade up into the top five and draft RB Curtis Enis.  The Bears were not inclined to move down at the Jaguars price, so the Jaguars stood pat and drafted RB Fred Taylor.  I'd say that worked out for the best.

Fast forward to last year.

The Jaguars, desperate to find a pass rush, went after FA DE Olivier Vernon but lost out to the Giants.  Vernon said he wanted to play in a big city.

Vernon notched 8.5 sacks last year, that certainly would have helped some last year, but he only has 2 sacks this year.

Had we landed Vernon in free agency, we may not have drafted Yannick Ngakoue, who has added 14.5 sacks in a year and a half, including 6.5 in seven games this year.

Had we landed Vernon, we also may not have pursued Calais Campbell, who currently has 10.5 sacks.

Just using the sack totals from this year, we are currently +15 sacks this year by missing out on Vernon and adding Ngakoue and Campbell.

I admit I was disappointed we missed out on Vernon last year, because I know we had a need, and I know the team went all out to get Vernon.  But it sure worked out big time for us, didn't it?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-01-2017, 03:37 AM)Bullseye Wrote: ...is the one you DON'T make.

In 1998, the Jaguars wanted to trade up into the top five and draft RB Curtis Enis.  The Bears were not inclined to move down at the Jaguars price, so the Jaguars stood pat and drafted RB Fred Taylor.  I'd say that worked out for the best.

Fast forward to last year.

The Jaguars, desperate to find a pass rush, went after FA DE Olivier Vernon but lost out to the Giants.  Vernon said he wanted to play in a big city.

Vernon notched 8.5 sacks last year, that certainly would have helped some last year, but he only has 2 sacks this year.

Had we landed Vernon in free agency, we may not have drafted Yannick Ngakoue, who has added 14.5 sacks in a year and a half, including 6.5 in seven games this year.

Had we landed Vernon, we also may not have pursued Calais Campbell, who currently has 10.5 sacks.

Just using the sack totals from this year, we are currently +15 sacks this year by missing out on Vernon and adding Ngakoue and Campbell.

I admit I was disappointed we missed out on Vernon last year, because I know we had a need, and I know the team went all out to get Vernon.  But it sure worked out big time for us, didn't it?

Good point.  We actually offered the Bears the 9th and 20th picks in the first round for their 5th pick in the first round.  After they turned us down, not only did we draft Fred Taylor at 9, we drafted Donovan Darius at 20.

Missing Vernon helped us move on from Gus.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Very astute observation Bullseye.

Cheers to Yannick and Calais.

(11-01-2017, 07:29 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Missing Vernon helped us move on from Gus.

It has been so refreshing this year not to hear that Seattle South nonsense.  We were never going to be that.  I like them being their own identity and building on it.  Fortune favors the bold but yeah it is nice we ended up with Fred Taylor.  Such fond memories of his time with us.

Will not trading for Garropolo (Spelling) be the next whew avoided that problem?
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Clearly it all worked out but if we did end up with Vernon I don't think it would have been all that bad. He is still a pretty good player. But yeah I will take our current situation !
Jaguars | Pacers | Purdue | Team USA

(11-01-2017, 08:45 AM)RedRooster28 Wrote: Very astute observation Bullseye.

Cheers to Yannick and Calais.

This  ^

(This post was last modified: 11-01-2017, 11:42 AM by Teal Time Radio.)

Yea both players who turned us down. Have worked in our favor. New York teams got screwed twice love it.
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

(This post was last modified: 11-01-2017, 11:43 AM by CAPTAIN.)

People who wanted Vernon didn't care much for sacks. Their rallying cry was his consistent pressure but I don't have his numbers at hand.

But your point is very well taken.

The road to our current situation is littered with bad free agents. The current guys are refreshing because they didn't come here to get tax free retirement increases.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

And we've probably reached the last step, we won't be going after any big free agents anymore with possible exception of a QB.

(11-01-2017, 11:55 AM)newporttom Wrote: And we've probably reached the last step, we won't be going after any big free agents anymore with possible exception of a QB.

I would not be surprised if they go after some OL. Not any major stars but a solid starter.
Jaguars | Pacers | Purdue | Team USA

Yup no way we would have gotten Campbell, thats the big one, i'm glad we didnt get him, even tho I wasnt huge on signing him to start
<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

(This post was last modified: 11-01-2017, 01:25 PM by Inziladun.)

Campbell is a godsend because he's really embracing his role here in Jacksonville, not only with on the field performance but off the field as well. He's the face of our Defense this year, motivating our guys up front and doing a lot of off the field work with this team. Every time I see him asking stupid fan questions to our players at the Mellow Mushroom(?) table I'm all giddy. A real down to earth guy and a very nice fit for our culture, love players like him. Don't see Vernon stepping up like that, he was just looking to get paid. Campbell really does embrace this team and he's making the best of it and it shows. Arizona lost not only a stand up player but a stand up guy.

(This post was last modified: 11-01-2017, 01:42 PM by JaguarsWoman.)

(11-01-2017, 11:55 AM)newporttom Wrote: And we've probably reached the last step, we won't be going after any big free agents anymore with possible exception of a QB.

We will definitely sign free agents at other positions.

We don't have a lot of cap space to be spending in FA, maybe some smaller depth level contracts but not much.

(This post was last modified: 11-01-2017, 02:11 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Had we drafted Terrell Suggs and then Big Ben instead of Leftwich and then Reggie Williams, we probably wouldn't have been so bad and felt a need to pursue Calais this past spring.

Didn't realize we'd have to wait 10-15 years to reap the benefit but it's all finally paying off right now.

(11-01-2017, 02:11 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Had we drafted Terrell Suggs and then Big Ben instead of Leftwich and then Reggie Williams, we probably wouldn't have been so bad and felt a need to pursue Calais this past spring.

Didn't realize we'd have to wait 10-15 years to reap the benefit but it's all finally paying off right now.

What makes you think if we had Terrell Suggs we would not need a top level DE?

(11-01-2017, 02:29 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 02:11 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Had we drafted Terrell Suggs and then Big Ben instead of Leftwich and then Reggie Williams, we probably wouldn't have been so bad and felt a need to pursue Calais this past spring.

What makes you think if we had Terrell Suggs we would not need a top level DE?

All of our $$ would have been tied up in Big Ben & T Suggs right now after winning the Jags 4 super bowls so we wouldn't be able to afford Calais Campbell.

(11-01-2017, 01:41 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:

We will definitely sign free agents at other positions.

He said "big free agents"; not "any free agents". And he's right. We have young, legit talent at every level of the defense and most positions on offense. Yes, obviously, we will sign some free agents next year, but not any "big ones"; we don't need them.
“It just shows what kind of team we are. We’re a tough team. We like contact. We’re very physical. We want the issue to be brought to us so we can show people we can stand up to it and overcome it. Seeing that’s just a symbol of our team and who we are.” - Jaguars DT Malik Jackson