Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The last Jedi (spoilers)

Who's seeing it tonight? I'm in theater waiting on the 7:30 showing! My guess Luke goes to the dark side!
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

So I thought the first one was a New Hope redone but then this one it's almost a carbon copy of the last two!? WTH I'm not picky with movies but I literally watched the movie and said I've seen this before? Huge disappointment was expecting something new!

Writing was terrible. Comic relief was forced. I never thought I’d say this but I’m not sure I’m going to the theater for the 3rd one in this trilogy. Rogue One was great. This? Not so much.

(12-15-2017, 01:32 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Writing was terrible. Comic relief was forced.  I never thought I’d say this but I’m not sure I’m going to the theater for the 3rd one in this trilogy.  Rogue One was great.  This?  Not so much.

Yup I've never left more disappointed from a movie theater.

Can't wait to see it. My cousin said it was great. My buddy said it was just ok. The spoilers I've read so far make it seem pretty bad. Seems like Disney is trying to destroy the old Star Wars?
Huh

(This post was last modified: 12-15-2017, 11:44 PM by Jaguarmeister.)

It was getting slaughtered on Twitter last night and deservedly so. One of my favorites was a tweet by some random person that said that this movie made Phantom Menace look like Gone With The Wind, lol. Interestingly, any Twitter handle with a blue check mark next to their name was raving about it as if they were being paid or instructed to fluff it up.

Also, a review I read prior to going in was talking Carrie Fisher up as a Best Supporting Actress nominee. I'm sorry, for what? Good lord the propaganda for this movie is strong.

The Rose character was horrible; Snoke was mysterious and powerful in Force Awakens (which was also a subpar movie, but better than this) and then they just toss him aside as some insignificant side character; they keep trying to one up prior Star Wars movies with more powerful Force powers which isn't necessary and cheapens things IMO; Leia getting blown up on the bridge and then flying through space? LOL ok; the remnants of the rebel fleet outrunning the First Order for long enough for Finn and Rose to hyperspace to some planet to get into some hijinks and then get back to the chase with the rebels still being able to keep their distance from the First Order; Phasma escapes Starkiller base to reprise her role in this movie for 3 minutes before being killed off, what was the point in that?; the identity of Rey's parents was a major plot loose end from FA and it winds up being a couple of nobodies... (I realize Kylo could have lied to her about that and they could in fact reveal the true identity in the next one, but at this point I no longer care who her parents are or about this story line.)

The few things I liked were that the music in this one wasn't nearly as bad as it was in FA, and I was happy they used puppet Yoda instead of CGI Yoda, but I struggle to find anything else.

The writing and casting of this trilogy is just a train wreck. The Star Wars franchise already had my money with any announced movie and they just lost that going forward with this one. I'll wait for the next one to be out for a while before I decide if they're getting my money or if I'll just wait to catch it on HBO or whatever premium channel it eventually gets aired on. I was literally taking deep breaths, sighing and rolling my eyes for most of the movie. I never got around to buying Force Awakens but I did intend to, now I won't bother. I did buy Rogue One immediately when it came out because that movie was so good.

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I really liked this one. The Leia "space flight" scene was way out there, but overall I enjoyed the movie.
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Did you read any books/comics?  From what I've read so far the biggest thing that irks me is the handling of Luke.  I figured he would help out...fight a little...then help reform the Jedi.  Now he's a Force spirit because he spent too much energy projecting himself to save the Resistance?  They changed the Force spirits to be tangible?   Maybe he can help create the new Jedi order as a Force spirit/guide?
Huh

Let me guess. Someone pulls out a light saber, swings it around so it makes these cool noises, and the other person, instead of just pulling out a pistol and shooting the person with the light saber, also pulls out a light saber and swings it around and it also makes cool noises. They they fight with light sabers. Because even though they can fly around in space ships, everyone has forgotten what a gun is.

(12-15-2017, 11:09 AM)Monty Wrote: Did you read any books/comics?  From what I've read so far the biggest thing that irks me is the handling of Luke.  I figured he would help out...fight a little...then help reform the Jedi.  Now he's a Force spirit because he spent too much energy projecting himself to save the Resistance?  They changed the Force spirits to be tangible?   Maybe he can help create the new Jedi order as a Force spirit/guide?

I never read the comics or anything but I really wanted to know more about snoke? And they just dismiss him like an afterthought. Adam driver just isn't the vilian we deserve

[Image: IMG_20171216_204448.jpg]

I failed Vader for the last time apparently after my showing
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

I liked it. It had too many false endings and went on too long, had some crazy "what the hell" moments, and I'm still curious as to how the hell Jedi/Sith can suddenly project themselves elsewhere in the universe after FORTY YEARS OF THAT NEVER BEING A THING, but it was enjoyable. It had funny moments, touching moments, and wasn't nearly as predictable as it could have been.

Although we all know that Benecio Del Toro will be back as an ally in the next film. Right, Lando Codebreakerissian?

The quick discards of Snoke and Phasma were unexpected. Phasma's just seemed cruel from a writer's standpoint, like they realized that they'd created this character with a cool costume and had no plans for her two movies in, so boom she goes. Snoke's was unexpected but necessary considering where they're going with Rey/Ren (not where I was hoping, but oh well).

And, yeah, Rey and Ren. Not gonna lie, the way that storyline played out is about as predictable as it possibly could have been. They could have done something really interesting by having the two of them join Forces to truly balance the Force under a new flag. They could have done something even more interesting by having Rey fall to the Dark Side, kill Luke and become Snoke's apprentice while Kylo turns back to the light after "meeting" Luke. But, no, they went the predictable route. Ren stayed 100% light, Kylo went full-on Dark Side after killing Snoke and being "betrayed" by Rey, and now Kylo is the Supreme Leader with General Windbag no doubt going to spend the time between movies looking for a way to kill him off.

Despite its flaws, it was still a lot of fun. With that said, given that my wife and I find our way to the movies about twice a year, we decided to make the most of this trip and stuck around for The Disaster Artist. The Disaster Artist was definitely the better of the two movies.

That joint forces battle after the end of Snoke was amazing though
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(12-16-2017, 11:56 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: That joint forces battle after the end of Snoke was amazing though

The space combat looked amazing and that battle was extremely well done.

Btw, I definitely did notice A LOT and I mean a lot of Empire and ROJ in this movie.

Snow planet
Random confusing cave
Supreme Leader betrayal
Random side planet to introduce a character (Besbin)

I really enjoyed it, but it was definitely a lot of member berries again.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Oh, one other note.

At the end when Rey says "how do we build a rebellion from this?" I was hoping oh so much they'd reference Rogue One and have Leia drop the "Rebellions are built on hope" line. Would have been perfect.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 12-21-2017, 09:00 AM by Monty.)

(12-18-2017, 10:30 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Oh, one other note.

At the end when Rey says "how do we build a rebellion from this?" I was hoping oh so much they'd reference Rogue One and have Leia drop the "Rebellions are built on hope" line. Would have been perfect.

So...are they trying to reboot the Empire v Rebels thing with this?  I'm going Sunday to see but I've read most of the spoilers.  A guy at work said after the movie there's only like 20 resistance people left?

Still pissed about Luke.
Huh

Things blew up. There were lightsabers. Yoda made an appearance. Come on, it was entertainment. Of course I wasn't looking for Citizen Kane either, just a few hours away from reality.
“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

(12-21-2017, 08:59 AM)Monty Wrote:
(12-18-2017, 10:30 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Oh, one other note.

So...are they trying to reboot the Empire v Rebels thing with this?  I'm going Sunday to see but I've read most of the spoilers.  A guy at work said after the movie there's only like 20 resistance people left?

Still pissed about Luke.

Well essentially Kylo is rebuilding the First Order (Empire) and Rey has to stop them. The 20 people left is a bit misleading, but the movie explains that subtly.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

I finally saw it today. It was not as good as it could have been, but also not as bad. Just some thoughts....

-I guess Luke was dead serious when he said he wasn't going to train anymore Jedi. Like, literally. 
-I kind of liked the mind meld thing Snoke did with Ren and Rey. It was pretty cool. 
-It was a two and a half hour movie and it feels like a lot happened but not a lot happened at the same time. It was kind of weird. Maybe the jumping so often between scenes. 
-Those crystal fox/dog things were neat. I wanted to take one home with me. As cold as it's about to get up here, it would feel right at home. 
-The humor in some parts was typical, in others it seemed forced. Similar to the 2nd and 3rd Transformers movies. The people my generation and older (and some of the younger) watching these movies don't need to have everything handed to us, especially what passes for humor these days. Subtle is always better. Or at least not quite so blatant or forced. 
-With Luke hanging out with the other dead Jedi and Carrie Fisher gone, it'll be interesting to see how they do this going into the third movie. I read somewhere that the third one was supposed to be her possible last hurrah or finale of some sort, like this one was for Luke. I guess we'll see. 

-It was sad to watch this knowing Carrie Fisher won't be back IRL (maybe CGI long enough to have a proper send off dying in battle or something.) The end of an era for me. Princess Leia was the only princess I ever wanted to be. She was bad [BLEEP] and didn't take any crap from anyone and she was who my five year old self wanted to be. Cinderella and Snow White could go to hell for all I cared. 
-The only reason people are going on about Carrie being best supporting actress is because she died. The same thing happened when Heath Ledger died and people wanted him to win best actor. He deserved it, she didn't IMHO. There isn't enough material there to warrant it unless the rest of the actresses nominated just truly suck. 

I think it's kind of cool that a movie franchise I fell in love with at the age of five is still relevant and can be enjoyed 40 years later. There are some hiccups, sure, but I still get chills when I see the word scrawl and hear that music at the start of every movie.