Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
This Week in the AFC South-Divisional Round

As much as critics like to bash this division as being weak, the fact is the AFC South has half of the remaining teams in the AFC playoffs. The 2017 AFC South champion Jacksonville Jaguars ended a ten year playoff drought, winning their first playoff game since 2007, and hosting their first playoff game since 1999.  They shut down the Buffahole Bills, holding them to 3 points.  In the other wildcard bracket, the loathsome tacks rallied from a 21-3 halftime deficit to beat the Chiefs 22-21.  Once again, the tacks benefitted from a flukish TD and were the beneficiaries of an egregious forward progress negation of a clear fumble by Mariota and recovery by the Chiefs.  The call enabled Tennessee to score right before half in a game decided by one point.  There was a benefit to that result, however, as the tacks took coach Mike Mularkey off the hot seat, to the chagrin of some tacks fans and the delight of fans of the other AFCS teams.  Both the 2017 AFC South Champion Jaguars and the second place stinkin’ tacks go on the road for the Divisional round of the playoffs.  The division also rans were busy, as the Houston Texans hired their new GM, Brian Gaine, who came from Buffalo after an earlier stint in Houston.  Meanwhile, the Colts continued their search for a new coach, interviewing Baylor coach Matt Rhule.
Predictions wise, I was 1-1 thanks to the flukish yet traditional KC playoff choke and the dominant defensive performance by the 2017 AFC South Champion Jacksonville Jaguars.  We’ll see how I do this week.

Tacks (10-7) at Patriots (13-3)-  By Tom Brady’s G.O.A.T standards, December was something of a sub par month for him, throwing, by my count, only 6 TDs to 5 INTs for the month.  However, barring an early injury that knocks him out the rest of the game, I see no way they lose at home to the tacks.  Patriots 28-17.

Jaguars (10-6) at Steelers (13-3)-the 3rd seeded Jaguars travel to Pittsburgh to face the Steelers in a rematch of an earler game, the 30-9 win by the Jaguars, featuring 5 INTs by the Jaguars defense, including two pick 6s.  Despite the sentiment that has the Steelers as the favorites going into this contest, the fact is, the Jaguars actually match up better against the Steelers now than they did in week 5 because of the addition of DT Marcell Dareus.  Now the Jaguars are far better equipped to stop the run than they were back then, even though the Steeler mysteriously chose not to run in the earlier game.  Given the development of guys like Keelan Cole and Dede Westbrook, theoretically, the Jaguars should match up better offensively against the Steelers than they did in week 5, especially considering the devastating injury to stud Steelers LB Ryan Shazier.  But two things are working against the Jaguars in this match.  First Bortles has not played well in the last three weeks.  In theory, that might not be too bad considering the Jaguars minimized him in week 5 and they still beat the Steelers.  But then, they ran the ball down the Steelers throats in that game.  In one series, the Jaguars ran the ball 14 straight times, and the Jaguars passed the ball once the entire second half.  This brings me to the second thing working against the Jaguars:  they aren’t running the ball effectively.  I don’t know whether it’s because Fournette has hit a rookie wall, he is unhealthy, teams are stubbornly stacking the box with eight or none guys, the OL isn’t getting it done, or what, but the team is not running the ball nearly as effectively as they were earlier.  That can spell disaster for a team going against the only defense in the league that registered more sacks than the Jaguars, and I’m not entirely sure how the Jaguars can get it going against the Steelers.  One possibility:  Steelers DE Stephon Tuitt has an injury which may limit his effectiveness, if not his availability.  If he can’t go, he might be replaced by former Jaguar first rounder Tyson Alualu, who should have one of those truck backup warning beepers on his outfit, because he is constantly blown off the ball.   Otherwise, the Jaguars will have to show competency in the passing game, certainly more than the 88 yards they passed for last week.  The Jaguars defense is certainly good enough to win this game.  The question is do they get enough help from the offense.  I desperately hope I’m wrong, but I don’t think they do.  Steelers 20, Jaguars 7.

Last week:  1-1
Overall:  33-21

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think we can beat the Steelers in a game with no turnovers by either team. I think we are good enough to keep the Steelers out of the endzone most of the day with our defense. However, our defense is very opportunistic, and I expect them to create turnovers. I see our offense getting back into sync A little more here. I see LF scoring a TD and Blake running in 1 as well. I see no passing TDs from Blake, and maybe he puts one on the ground or throws an INT. Defense should hold the Steelers to 20 or less. I feel like ST will make a huge play for us in this game too. I think the lid on the end zone comes off for both teams in this game a little, and we end up the victors.

I am taking the Jaguars, 24-20.

The Titans, suck. They don't deserve a breakdown. Enjoy your elimination from the playoffs.

41-3 Patriots.

Since this is entirely for fun...

Titans over Patriots
Jaguars over Steelers

35-19 overall
"We believe in victory!"   - Gus Bradley
"I don't want to believe.  I want to know."   - Carl Sagan

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2018, 05:20 PM by snowwolf776.)

33-14 overall.  

this week im going to go with patriots,and Jags.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

(01-11-2018, 01:40 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: I think we can beat the Steelers in a game with no turnovers by either team. I think we are good enough to keep the Steelers out of the endzone most of the day with our defense. However, our defense is very opportunistic, and I expect them to create turnovers. I see our offense getting back into sync A little more here. I see LF scoring a TD and Blake running in 1 as well. I see no passing TDs from Blake, and maybe he puts one on the ground or throws an INT. Defense should hold the Steelers to 20 or less. I feel like ST will make a huge play for us in this game too. I think the lid on the end zone comes off for both teams in this game a little, and we end up the victors.

I am taking the Jaguars, 24-20.

To be clear, I think this team is fully capable of beating the Steelers with our defense, competent special teams, and either the running or passing game operating at a high level.  If both aspects of the offense are operating at a high level, of course we can beat them, but we need either the running or passing game to make some plays to win.  We've gotten neither these past few weeks.  It's disappointing because we should have gotten more offensive production last week against Buffalo than we did.  It was disappointing we couldn't run against the 29th rated run defense, and disappointing we couldn't pass against a 20th or so ranked pass defense.

We need preferably both, but at least one or the other to win Sunday.  I'm not sure we get enough of either.

Im rooting for Jax and TN this week. I want to see round three.
You know you're dealing with a belief system when you get an emotional response. 

Patriots over Titans 28-20
Steelers over Jaguars 24-6

0-2 last week
39-15 overall
We learned in the Sunday School who made the sun shine through.  I know who made the moonshine too, back where I come from.

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2018, 01:01 PM by HandsomeRob86.)

Out of pure loyalty I am picking the jags over the steelers.
Pats over tacks seems like an easy call, but stranger things have happened.

27-9 overall.
1-1 last week (and thinking it will happen this week also).

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Patriots over Titans- 35-17 Brady and Co. pull away in second half.

Steelers over Jags - 20-6. Really hope I am wrong here.

Last Week 1-1
Overall 35-19

Last week I didn't see the Jaguars or titans winning. Both of them looked like I should have been right. The titans won by taking out the other team's best player. Targeting rules need to be implemented, and the penalty needs to be very harsh for what cyprien did. The Jaguars won by being the better team, if only slightly.

Both teams are unlikely to get the kind of breaks they got last week this week. The pats won't tighten up and decide to stop scoring at half time, and the steelers will probably score more than 3 points.

I'm thinking this week the AFCS ends for the season. Pats and steelers should win.

Last week: 1-1

Overall: 40-14

Jaguars

Patriots
'02

(This post was last modified: 01-12-2018, 05:18 AM by JagsFanSince95.)

I stepped away a few times writing up my original post(admitting I was busy at work, so the thoughts changed over time) and I was kinda all over the place lol.

Defense should make a few plays. I see a strip sack and 1 or 2 big time INTs coming. I think we contain Bell enough to win, maybe he gets 1 TD. I think Ramsey's play has teetered a little late this year at times, I think AB scores on him this week, these guys will battle though. I think AC and Bouye will shut down Bryant/JuJu.

Offense will get going again. I expect more play action on 1st down and I want to see deep throws to get the defense on its heels early and then run the rock Grant/LF etc. I see Blake and LF running for a TD each.

Special teams will play well, I expect Grant to take a kickoff to the house.

This game is massive, they get bigger as the year goes on and you can feel the anticipation building for this team. This team does seem to play up to big games and deliver(mostly) so I expect a whole hearted effort this Sunday. Pittsburgh on the other hand, seems to be more focused on New England. I think we hit them with a brisk wake up call and upset that Steeler team. I am so excited for this game, I nearly took time off and made it a road trip, but logistically it would be impossible for me.

Jags should win this game, on paper they match up extremely well on both sides of the ball. Even if AB and Bell do a little damage, we should contain that offense enough to eat a W.

(01-11-2018, 08:41 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:  The titans won by taking out the other team's best player. Targeting rules need to be implemented, and the penalty needs to be very harsh for what cyprien did. The Jaguars won by being the better team, if only slightly.

cyprien and kelce were both going down at the same time, wasn't targeting, also he was a runner so it can't be called

learn the rules

I just don't see anyway the Jags offense can muster up much of anything against the Steel D.

Tough matchups for both of the AFC South teams. Hoping for an all AFCS championship game but it won't be easy.

Wildcard Weekend Results: 1-1
Overall Results: 39-14

Divisional Round Selections:

I think both AFC South teams will fall a little short but cover the current point spreads.

New England ( 30-23 )
Pittsburgh ( 20-16 )

I keep picking them to lose and they keep winning anyway. But I can't in good conscience pick Tennessee to go to NE and win in the Playoffs. And Jax is a pure homer pick.

NE
Jags

1-1 last week
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

If we pull this off, expect to see tees being sold sporting something like “TWICE (x2)” and featuring a Jags logo above the Steeler logo.”

If anyone decides to create them, put me down for an XL, 2 mediums, and a small.
"We believe in victory!"   - Gus Bradley
"I don't want to believe.  I want to know."   - Carl Sagan

Jaguars are going to do it again....
tacks will get rolled.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(01-11-2018, 12:59 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: Out of pure loyalty I am picking the jags over the steelers.
Pats over tacks seems like an easy call, but stranger things have happened.

27-9 overall.
1-1 last week (and thinking it will happen this week also).

Best 2-0 yet this season!
tacks where they belong on the couch, and Jags shut up the annoying stillers fans. Probably didn't tho, I bet the stiller are crying into their beer right now complaining how they got 'jobbed' when almost all the calls went their way.

29-9 overall.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

I'm glad to take the 1-1 today! Thrilled!

Nobody saw 45-42...but I will gladly take the L in my predictions in this case!

Screw the tacks! Screw the Steelers!