Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Addressing need at TE

Obviously there is a need at TE and I am wondering how early we should try to draft one assuming that is the direction we go. As a gamecock, I'm hoping we can get our hands on Hayden Hurst. Should we draft one early? I will hang up and listen

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Draft Goedert

Hurst is a decent option later as well

Don't forget Rivera is under contract

(01-23-2018, 11:34 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Draft Goedert

Andrews is better.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(01-23-2018, 11:35 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote:
(01-23-2018, 11:34 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Draft Goedert

Andrews is better.

Maybe.

I'm not impressed with his unwillingness to block at times in the couple of cut-ups I've seen. Goedert's hands seem a bit stronger plucking the ball to me. I haven't watched much of either though.

Draft and free agency. Rookie TE don't produce often but we definitely need to get a good one developing in the pipeline. Draft Andrews/Goedert in the 1st or Hurst/Fumagali/Gesecki in the 2nd. Sign Trey Burton or ASJ.

Instead of our frequent 2 TE sets merely serving as box clogging fodder for Fournette we could turn them into versatile and dynamic creativity options for Hackett to run wild with.

O'Shaughnessey (I butchered that) showed some pretty bright flashes as a receiver, and had some nice blocks too. I think he might be our pass-catching complement to Marcedes. Draft a guy on day two or three, sure, competition is always good and there isn't a sure-fire long term guy on the roster, but the tight ends we have are underrated as a unit.

No to drafting a TE. I think we should try to sign:

1. Trey Burton. I believe the hype. He produced with Ertz was out and has even done well with a limited role as the No. 2 guy there. I actually think he is a better blocker than he is given credit for.

2. Crockett Gilmore if his passes his physical after the meniscus surgery on a 1 year prove it deal with team options for 2-3 years. Similar to what they gave that LT Beachum from Pittsburgh.

(01-24-2018, 12:21 AM)TJBender Wrote: O'Shaughnessey (I butchered that) showed some pretty bright flashes as a receiver, and had some nice blocks too. I think he might be our pass-catching complement to Marcedes. Draft a guy on day two or three, sure, competition is always good and there isn't a sure-fire long term guy on the roster, but the tight ends we have are underrated as a unit.

1. Andrews
2.Lewis
3. O'Shaughnessey

It's either Andrews in the first or Hurst in the second. 

1 29 Mark Andrews TE
2 29 Frank Ragnow C
3 29 Maea Teuhema G
4 29 Adonis  Alexander CB
6 29 JK Scott P
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

Is Marcedes expected back in 2018?
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(01-24-2018, 08:41 AM)Mowerguy Wrote: Is Marcedes expected back in 2018?

He's scheduled to make 3.5 and his cap hit is 3.75 but the team has to pick up his option by the first week of April.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Talking from being an ou fan in Oklahoma. Andrews is really good. I wouldn't want him on the Jags if he wasn't And Westbrook will really show up next year if he has the chance. And somebody that can get it to him.

Rivera is already on the team and was on IR this year. He may fill the need alone.
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

If Rivera is the answer we are asking the wrong question.

(01-24-2018, 08:38 PM)Upper Wrote: If Rivera is the answer we are asking the wrong question.

Yeah I'm not quite sure why everyone keeps mentioning him. He was never any good to behind with.

Lewis will still be around in 2018 in my opinion bc he can still block.

We do need to address a pass catching TE that can stretch the field. Lewis has always ran in mud to me. Probably won't draft one high but 4th to 6th round we can probably find one.

We're ok with what we got, they just don't use them enough in our scheme. With Fournette, Arob, Westbrook, Cole, Hurns...there's only so much we can do. Tight end isn't featured in Jacksonville.

(01-24-2018, 09:25 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: We do need to address a pass catching TE that can stretch the field.

You mean like Kyle Brady? Coughlin isn't known for his love of field-stretching tight ends. He likes blockers who can get out into the flat every so often, not smaller speed types that get blown up by a cornerback when pass blocking.

Will be interesting to see what route they go with tight ends.

Gesicki is a huge mismatch in the pass game but is one of the worst blocking tight ends I've ever seen. Has no appetite for it. Solid cut blocker only.

Andrews is again a totally mismatch in the pass game but a bad blocker. He at least tries and is good sealing off if needed.

Then Goedert I have heard is a decent blocker who puts in effort. Fumigali I haven't seen much but he's meant to be an excellent blocker with good routes.

Also keep an eye out for Hayden Smythe from Notre Dame. Excellent blocker and athlete, just wasn't used much at ND

I think if we're gonna draft Andrews we can afford to trade down with a high 2nd round team since the 1st round teams behind us have other more pressing needs, as do most of the higher picking teams in round 2. We could pick up some good additional picks and still get our guy (if of course he is our guy) with this strategy, then potentially pick up an additional guy in the 2nd round we couldn't have otherwise had as well as whom we'd naturally target as our second round.

Both Browns and Jets have 2 second round picks, it might be a stretch to get the Browns to give up theirs, but convincing the Jets to give up the 37th and 49th pick has to be worth a shot in my opinion. One of their needs is an OT, the season-ending injury to Jason Peters will likely make the left tackle spot a high priority and giving them the chance to nab Orlando Brown ahead of the Eagles could be worth two 2nd Round picks to the Jets.

The Browns possibilities all depend on what they do with the number 1 pick, their top 3 needs are: QB, RB, CB. Most analysts seem to think they'll take Saquon Barkley (RB) and then Minkah Fitzpatrick (CB) with the 4th. However, if they take Rosen 1st overall and the Giants then go to Sam Darnold, Indy has more pressing needs than running back and it's foreseeable that Barkley drops to 4th where the Browns pick him up. Losing out on Fitzpatrick then makes the idea of jumping ahead of Minnesota much more appealing to the Browns to take Tarvarus McFadden at CB.

The one thing I will say for the Browns organisation, they're going to be desperate to avoid another season like the last two and that might just push them to go big to close off their three biggest needs on the roster.

If DC plays it right our draft could be very interesting.

Keep an eye on Troy Fumagalli. He fits the prototype of what Coughlin looks for in a TE. He's a great blocker, has good hands and runs precise routes. He may not be the most athletic TE in the class, but with the right QB, I believe he can be a difference maker. He was working with very average QB's in Wisconsin.

It depends on what they want to do with the position scheme wise. Jimmy Graham will be a free agent this off season. Hurst, Fumagalli & Andrews would be ideal fits in this scheme though.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."