Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags Select Taven Bryant

Uhhh, y'all need to re-view the UGA-UF 2017 game. Taven got dominated. He was a non-factor, blocked mostly by RFr RG Ben Cleveland & /or True Fr RT Andrew Thomas.
I don't wanna hear how the gators gave up, nor how mcelwain had freakin death threats as excuses. Great players, esp 1st rounders, Show up every game, & make an impact regardless of the scoreboard. There were many better pix available at 29

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-27-2018, 12:59 PM)FreeAgent01 Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 12:50 PM)Perkolater Wrote: Out of curiosity I went back to look at 2-3 mock drafts done in the week leading up to the draft.   Most of the ones I looked at had him going around 26.   One (CBS Sports) had him going to the Jets with the 10th pick.   But yeah, we should panic since we got him at 29.

Go find those same writers' mocks from 6 weeks ago and see if you see Bryan anywhere.

La. Times had him at 22 6 weeks ago, anything else?

(04-27-2018, 01:52 PM)fredalwaysajag Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 01:13 PM)Bullseye Wrote: The selection of Bryan was surprising, and initially even a little disappointing.

But the above shows the value of this pick.  Ideally, you'd like to be in a position to draft a year ahead.  Doing so enables you to work a guy in somewhat slowly, such that you will have excellent depth at a position and not depend upon a rookie to have to come in and play top notch football.  Then, after the guy has been in your system for a year, he can replace the older, expensive vet.

We have so many permutations with our DL with this pick (assuming we keep all of our guys this year), it will be difficult for opponents to get a full handle on our guys.

Our base rotation would naturally be

(1st team)
Ngakoue
Dareus
Jackson
Campbell

(2nd team)
Fowler
Jones
Bryan
Smoot

But depending upon the matchups presented by the offensive line, they could be mixed and matched any number of ways.

I just hope we hit on the player.

We had some trouble stopping the run last year.  I anticipate Campbell- Jones- Dareus- Bryan on some obvious run situations.  And that line up can still disrupt the pass.

Bryan needs to get a lot better reading blocks and adjusting before you can trust him like that imo. 

I'd rather play Fowler.

You know, one year with Tom and we hit the AFC Championship. In Tom I trust.
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(04-27-2018, 02:11 PM)atburg Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 12:59 PM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: Go find those same writers' mocks from 6 weeks ago and see if you see Bryan anywhere.

Casserly also had him at 19 in February.

(04-27-2018, 02:19 PM)Ronster Wrote: You know, one year with Tom and we hit the AFC Championship. In Tom I trust.

Exactly. You would think after being proven wrong last year most people would adopt a wait and see approach rather than take such a strong stance against a team move.

(This post was last modified: 04-27-2018, 03:19 PM by TrivialPursuit.)

(04-27-2018, 03:17 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 02:19 PM)Ronster Wrote: You know, one year with Tom and we hit the AFC Championship. In Tom I trust.

Exactly. You would think after being proven wrong last year most people would adopt a wait and see approach rather than take such a strong stance against a team move.

Watching his tape is extremely underwhelming. That's all.

We drafted him based solely on potential rather than anything he did on the field.

I mean he got owned by nobodies at FSU.

(04-27-2018, 03:19 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 03:17 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: Exactly. You would think after being proven wrong last year most people would adopt a wait and see approach rather than take such a strong stance against a team move.

Watching his tape is extremely underwhelming. That's all.

We drafted him based solely on potential rather than anything he did on the field.

I mean he got owned by nobodies at FSU.

Prospect is the key word here in the draft. We also were picking at 29. There weren’t gonna be any Jalen Ramsey’s or Fournettes at 29. He was the best available on their board and they drafted him. That’s what good GMs do.

(This post was last modified: 04-27-2018, 03:35 PM by JagsFansince1995.)

(04-27-2018, 03:29 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 07:37 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Brady sure wasn’t getting pressured in the 2nd half of that game....

Initially wasn’t too happy because Goedert and Hernandez were there but this is Coughlin and company now. This isn’t Gene and Gus. It’s a different regime and I trust they know what they’re doing.

I’m very curious as to who would have been the pick had Bryan not been there.

Little cut up?! It’s 30 minutes!
I wasnt either.  I also wanted hernandez and thought ne would take him at 23 or whatever.  I want to trade up this round for cheap and dont trust certain players to fall.  I like rudolf, hernandez, goedert, and connor williams.  

It was 30 min but only 2 games UK and FSU
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(04-27-2018, 03:05 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 02:11 PM)atburg Wrote: La. Times had him at 22 6 weeks ago, anything else?

Casserly also had him at 19 in February.

Mayock 26.

Truth is, most had him off the board before our pick at 29.

I know this doesn't fit some folks' narrative, but facts don't care about your feelings.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(This post was last modified: 04-27-2018, 03:48 PM by Jagsfan32277.)

I approve this pick.  This guy is nasty. He's body slamming rbs and throwing OLinemen like ragdolls.  A white reincarnation version of Reggie White.  Jaguars got a steal folks.  Reggie went #4, and the Jags got this guy at 29.  Trust the process of the FO.

(04-27-2018, 02:11 PM)atburg Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 12:59 PM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: Go find those same writers' mocks from 6 weeks ago and see if you see Bryan anywhere.

(04-27-2018, 03:43 PM)pirkster Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 03:05 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: Casserly also had him at 19 in February.

Mayock 26.

Truth is, most had him off the board before our pick at 29.

I know this doesn't fit some folks' narrative, but facts don't care about your feelings.

LA times was 3.5 weeks ago and Mayock was the day before yesterday. Both are well after the NFL Combine.

Casserly was legit, but the point still remains that he wasn't generally considered a top prospect until after the Combine. How many mocks did you have to sift through before finding one? I found plenty that didn't have him in the top three rounds.

(04-27-2018, 03:47 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote:

I approve this pick.  This guy is nasty. He's body slamming rbs and throwing OLinemen like ragdolls.  A white reincarnation version of Reggie White.  Jaguars got a steal folks.  Reggie went #4, and the Jags got this guy at 29.  Trust the process of the FO.

He gets alot of penetration in everything that ive seen on just freakish strength and his get off is ridiculous.  If he soaks in some moves from our current DLine, this could be a helluva player.  U never know, but im on board.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

The biggest overreactions I see are the guys screaming BAP now. If everyone made a list of their top half dozen guys they wanted when we went on the clock zero of them would have included Bryan. No one would have had him over Hernandez, Goedert, Daniels, etc. You don't have to kowtow. It was a fine pick. It wasn't great, and it wasn't terrible.

Also, please stop comparing him to JJ Watt. Watt is an absurd 6 standard deviations above the normal NFL dlineman athletically. The next Watt statistically won't appear for 300 years. Not to mention his unmatched work ethic and motor. He was going to be the best defensive lineman of all time before the injuries. Don't be unfair to Bryan like that.

(04-27-2018, 04:07 PM)Upper Wrote: The biggest overreactions I see are the guys screaming BAP now. If everyone made a list of their top half dozen guys they wanted when we went on the clock zero of them would have included Bryan. No one would have had him over Hernandez, Goedert, Daniels, etc. You don't have to kowtow. It was a fine pick. It wasn't great, and it wasn't terrible.

Also, please stop comparing him to JJ Watt. Watt is an absurd 6 standard deviations above the normal NFL dlineman athletically. The next Watt statistically won't appear for 300 years. Not to mention his unmatched work ethic and motor. He was going to be the best defensive lineman of all time before the injuries. Don't be unfair to Bryan like that.

It's because oline and TE has been our biggest need all season so those are the guys we have been looking at and wanting.  If DT was our biggest need and we were watching the DTs all season the way we were oline and TE he would of been much higher on people's list

(04-27-2018, 04:07 PM)Upper Wrote: The biggest overreactions I see are the guys screaming BAP now. If everyone made a list of their top half dozen guys they wanted when we went on the clock zero of them would have included Bryan. No one would have had him over Hernandez, Goedert, Daniels, etc. You don't have to kowtow. It was a fine pick. It wasn't great, and it wasn't terrible.

I don’t see why people still expect a Guard or a TE in the first two rounds with Caldwell anyway.  Fans have been calling for Caldwell to draft these positions in the first two rounds pretty much since the day he got here and he has yet to do it.  He clearly doesn’t value those positions highly in the draft.  If he can pass on Forest Lamp in the 2nd he’s defintely passing on Hernandez in the first.

I don't think people are screaming BAP for any  reason other than the fact the team said he was their the highest rated player (which of course they would say). It's not like people here are randomly claiming that he was top of their personal board.

Think about this, we could of ended up with Hurst if Bal. didnt take him. Give me Bryan any day

(04-27-2018, 04:25 PM)Kcirred Wrote:

I don’t see why people still expect a Guard or a TE in the first two rounds with Caldwell anyway.  Fans have been calling for Caldwell to draft these positions in the first two rounds pretty much since the day he got here and he has yet to do it.  He clearly doesn’t value those positions highly in the draft.  If he can pass on Forest Lamp in the 2nd he’s defintely passing on Hernandez in the first.

Caldwell passed on lamp for a LT. An LT he believed to be upper tier. Slightly different.

(04-27-2018, 02:10 PM)buffbenj Wrote: Uhhh, y'all need to re-view the UGA-UF 2017 game. Taven got dominated. He was a non-factor, blocked mostly by RFr RG Ben Cleveland & /or True Fr RT Andrew Thomas.
I don't wanna hear how the gators gave up, nor how mcelwain had freakin death threats as excuses. Great players, esp 1st rounders, Show up every game, & make an impact regardless of the scoreboard. There were many better pix available at 29

Bruh. Name one prospect who’s dominated every game he’s played and I promise I can find a game in which he didn’t.

I’ll wait.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."