Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
This is why we need to build The Wall and Build it NOW!

(05-31-2018, 11:16 AM)Kane Wrote:
(05-29-2018, 04:28 PM)TJBender Wrote: Define "assimilate into our way of life".

Pay taxes, learn some English, take driving tests to properly be licensed to drive... buy insurance....(i'm sure there's more but I'm pretty sure you're being purposefully obtuse)
ya know... simple every day things that most of us would be punished in some form or another for not doing or taking part in.

Then again... maybe you don't know what assimilate means
the process of adapting or adjusting to the culture of a group or nation, or the state of being so adapted

(05-31-2018, 10:10 AM)Jagwired Wrote: A nation without secure boarders is not a nation.

For those opposing the "Wall" what is your solution?

Do you even feel the boarders need to be secured?

Do you really not see and comprehend the social and economic impact that illegal immigrants place upon our tax payers?

Something has to be done.

I think we could save money by not building a wall and just hiring more ICE and Border Patrol while also allowing them to actually do their job.

I'd go further with it (like shoot on sight) but I'd probably be called racist or something.

Most illegal immigrants held a driving license in their native country. They don't get one here because by law they can not. You can't say, "I expect them to assimilate!" when your definition of assimilation requires them to commit fraud.
Unfortunately a sort of limited amnesty would have to come before this definition of assimilation.  
On the other hand, your definition of assimilation kinda sucks.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-31-2018, 11:16 AM)Kane Wrote:
(05-29-2018, 04:28 PM)TJBender Wrote: Define "assimilate into our way of life".

Pay taxes, learn some English, take driving tests to properly be licensed to drive... buy insurance....(i'm sure there's more but I'm pretty sure you're being purposefully obtuse)
ya know... simple every day things that most of us would be punished in some form or another for not doing or taking part in.

the process of adapting or adjusting to the culture of a group or nation, or the state of being so adapted

(05-31-2018, 10:10 AM)Jagwired Wrote: A nation without secure boarders is not a nation.

Do you really not see and comprehend the social and economic impact that illegal immigrants place upon our tax payers?

I think we could save money by not building a wall and just hiring more ICE and Border Patrol while also allowing them to actually do their job.

I'd go further with it (like shoot on sight) but I'd probably be called racist or something.

I actually agree. I don't know if I'd go for a shoot on sight order, but if illegals are trying to cross and they can't be arrested and will make it in illegally, then I would give our agents/military the power to shoot to kill, but arrests should be the first option. I'd also go a little further. Instead of having military bases in countries that don't want us there, bring those military personnel back home and station them along the border where they can actually protect our nation, first hand. The stronger the presence, the less people will want to cross the border.

(This post was last modified: 05-31-2018, 03:13 PM by Kane.)

(05-31-2018, 01:49 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(05-31-2018, 11:16 AM)Kane Wrote: Pay taxes, learn some English, take driving tests to properly be licensed to drive... buy insurance....(i'm sure there's more but I'm pretty sure you're being purposefully obtuse)

Most illegal immigrants held a driving license in their native country. They don't get one here because by law they can not. You can't say, "I expect them to assimilate!" when your definition of assimilation requires them to commit fraud.
Unfortunately a sort of limited amnesty would have to come before this definition of assimilation.  

Couple things... if they come legally, they could then assimilate without committing fraud lol
also... my definition of assimilation came from the dictionary, so I guess take it up with them

(05-31-2018, 02:33 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(05-31-2018, 11:16 AM)Kane Wrote: Pay taxes, learn some English, take driving tests to properly be licensed to drive... buy insurance....(i'm sure there's more but I'm pretty sure you're being purposefully obtuse)

I actually agree. I don't know if I'd go for a shoot on sight order, but if illegals are trying to cross and they can't be arrested and will make it in illegally, then I would give our agents/military the power to shoot to kill, but arrests should be the first option. I'd also go a little further. Instead of having military bases in countries that don't want us there, bring those military personnel back home and station them along the border where they can actually protect our nation, first hand. The stronger the presence, the less people will want to cross the border.

Yeah... shoot on sight is extreme...
but you get it and I agree with you about the military part as well

(05-31-2018, 01:43 PM)mikesez Wrote:

Most borders are less secure than the US Mexico border, around the world.

People were allowed to pass freely in and out of our ports and across our border from 1783 to about 1920.  Were we not a nation in that time period?

(05-31-2018, 12:44 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: Much of this is true, but I'd argue that they're not just "job-seeking". When half of the illegal immigrants that get into America are on government assistance, we contribute to an unsustainable problem. Why do they have to want to hurt us for us to keep them out?

Illegal immigrants do not qualify for government assistance.  Their kids go to public school and they do take get kicked out of emergency rooms for inability to pay.  That's it.

(05-31-2018, 12:38 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: They have a huge military presence because it's necessary to their survival. I'm a big proponent of leaving countries to themselves (Israel included). But to play devil's advocate here, if we leave them to care for themselves without the backing of the US military, they would probably take back Gaza Strip, West Bank, and everything else. Their shoot-on-sight politicies pertain to people invading their country. People, by the way, that are usually Hamas.

Israel is the only secular country in the middle east. How can you say they have zero civil liberties? They're the only country, aside from maybe Syria, that you can openly express your religious and personal beliefs without physical violence. Maybe you can give some examples because they even have Palestinians holding political offices.

Lebanon and Jordan also have governments that won't punish religious speech.  But mobs can form in both.

You would probably be surprised by how many illegal immigrants receive welfare assistance. • Of illegal immigrant households with children, 87 percent access one or more welfare programs compared to 52 percent of native households https://cis.org/sites/default/files/cama...gals_1.pdf

Much in the same way they find employment.... at face value they all have (fraudulent or illegal) documentation of some sort and for the most part businesses and the US government accept whatever they give. (Because why not, right)

(05-31-2018, 02:33 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

Hey. Check out that 6 year old crossing.

Yup. Shoot to kill.

(05-31-2018, 03:08 PM)Kane Wrote:
(05-31-2018, 01:49 PM)mikesez Wrote: Most illegal immigrants held a driving license in their native country. They don't get one here because by law they can not. You can't say, "I expect them to assimilate!" when your definition of assimilation requires them to commit fraud.

Couple things... if they come legally, they could then assimilate without committing fraud lol
also... my definition of assimilation came from the dictionary, so I guess take it up with them

We've already established that words can mean what "his definition" of them means, so there's no sense in pulling out your fancy dictionary for such things.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(05-31-2018, 12:44 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: Much of this is true, but I'd argue that they're not just "job-seeking". When half of the illegal immigrants that get into America are on government assistance, we contribute to an unsustainable problem. Why do they have to want to hurt us for us to keep them out?

Illegal immigrants do not qualify for government assistance.  Their kids go to public school and they do take get kicked out of emergency rooms for inability to pay.  That's it.

(05-31-2018, 12:38 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: They have a huge military presence because it's necessary to their survival. I'm a big proponent of leaving countries to themselves (Israel included). But to play devil's advocate here, if we leave them to care for themselves without the backing of the US military, they would probably take back Gaza Strip, West Bank, and everything else. Their shoot-on-sight politicies pertain to people invading their country. People, by the way, that are usually Hamas.

Israel is the only secular country in the middle east. How can you say they have zero civil liberties? They're the only country, aside from maybe Syria, that you can openly express your religious and personal beliefs without physical violence. Maybe you can give some examples because they even have Palestinians holding political offices.

Lebanon and Jordan also have governments that won't punish religious speech.  But mobs can form in both.

They're generally ineligible, but there are programs that will aid them. The kids they have certainly are eligible. They come over pregnant or have a child shortly after coming over. 86% of illegal immigrant households that use government assistance have a child, and the same percentage use more than one type of assistance. They absolutely abuse the system. 

My wife is a nurse that works in an ER. A privately held hospital can refuse treatment except during an emergency. Public hospitals are forbidden from turning patients away. So, I'm not sure where you got your information. She's never seen a patient refused care, and she sees a lot of immigrants that she suspects are illegal provide false information in order to get out of paying.

While Lebanon and Jordan are better examples of religious freedom in the middle east, they're no where close to Israel's status. In Lebanon, certain religions are not allowed to marry or inherit property. They're also governed strictly, and many Christians believe that they restrict their ability to do certain things so as to limit their numbers. Proselytizing isn't technically illegal, but it's often stopped under threat of violence. And the judges, many of whom share the criminals' beliefs, don't often punish the offender. Jordan is worse than Lebanon, too. 

You can't even compare those two to Israel.

(This post was last modified: 05-31-2018, 04:58 PM by mikesez.)

(05-31-2018, 03:57 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:

They're generally ineligible, but there are programs that will aid them. The kids they have certainly are eligible. They come over pregnant or have a child shortly after coming over. 86% of illegal immigrant households that use government assistance have a child, and the same percentage use more than one type of assistance. They absolutely abuse the system. 

My wife is a nurse that works in an ER. A privately held hospital can refuse treatment except during an emergency. Public hospitals are forbidden from turning patients away. So, I'm not sure where you got your information. She's never seen a patient refused care, and she sees a lot of immigrants that she suspects are illegal provide false information in order to get out of paying.

While Lebanon and Jordan are better examples of religious freedom in the middle east, they're no where close to Israel's status. In Lebanon, certain religions are not allowed to marry or inherit property. They're also governed strictly, and many Christians believe that they restrict their ability to do certain things so as to limit their numbers. Proselytizing isn't technically illegal, but it's often stopped under threat of violence. And the judges, many of whom share the criminals' beliefs, don't often punish the offender. Jordan is worse than Lebanon, too. 

You can't even compare those two to Israel.

I agree with you.  I may not have been clear but I do understand how our hospitals an schools work.  The school is for the kids.  A hospital is the only place where an illegal immigrant adult can obtain a government ordained benefit (emergency treatment) without committing fraud.  The hospital will bill them for it of course, but most of these bills go uncollected so it is usually correct to view it as a government benefit.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(05-31-2018, 09:46 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(05-30-2018, 07:56 PM)TJBender Wrote: Israel also has a disproportionately huge military presence, shoot on sight policies, a history of human rights abuses, zero civil liberties for anyone not born Israeli, and the type of ego that can only come from almost 70 years of state sponsored terrorism being sanctioned by a sympathetic West. They're a great role model if your goal is a country motivated by xenophobia and zionism with the illusion of "elections" every few years.

Nice to hear from you Minister Farrakhan!

That's a [BLEEP] comparison. One can be honest about the shortcomings of Israel without hating Jews.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(05-30-2018, 09:43 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(05-29-2018, 10:37 PM)rollerjag Wrote: In what other situation do you support a solution when the problem isn't clearly defined?

I know what a wall is, and I know what Trump wants when he says he will build a wall. The semantics are very clear.

Drugs and illegal aliens now flow freely across an open border.  How is the problem not clear to you?

Illegal immigration of Mexicans has been on the decline for years, and when has the flow of drugs to an eager consumer base ever been slowed?

It'a a solution in search of a problem, but it's simplistic. Trump and Trumpettes love solutions that sound simple, even if they aren't.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

build military bases along the border...simple.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

I like the way that Mexican immigrants committing crime is worth of the time and expense and probable impossibility of a border wall.

A school full of kids regularly getting shot up by American citizens and some legislative change is too difficult.

Must be something in the water

(05-31-2018, 08:30 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(05-31-2018, 09:46 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Nice to hear from you Minister Farrakhan!

That's a [BLEEP] comparison. One can be honest about the shortcomings of Israel without hating Jews.

"Shortcomings", lol.

"Honest", lol even harder.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(05-31-2018, 10:21 PM)lastonealive Wrote: I like the way that Mexican immigrants committing crime is worth of the time and expense and probable impossibility of a border wall.

A school full of kids regularly getting shot up by American citizens and some legislative change is too difficult.

I get where you're coming from with the gun control poking. Honestly it gets old, especially from a foreigner. But I'll indulge you...Not an apples to oranges comparison. School security and funding is mostly a states issue. Homeland security is federal. Different pots of money and responsibilities.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 05-31-2018, 11:17 PM by B2hibry.)

(05-31-2018, 08:34 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(05-30-2018, 09:43 PM)Sneakers Wrote: Drugs and illegal aliens now flow freely across an open border.  How is the problem not clear to you?

Illegal immigration of Mexicans has been on the decline for years, and when has the flow of drugs to an eager consumer base ever been slowed?

It'a a solution in search of a problem, but it's simplistic. Trump and Trumpettes love solutions that sound simple, even if they aren't.
You know, your words would carry more weight if you didn't keep dropping useless Trump nuggets. Your first sentence would have been enough to make a point but understand if you have some weird obsession with having to drop Trumpisms. But to your point, doesn't everyone search for the "smarter, not harder" simplistic solutions? This isn't some crazy puzzle to solve. We know what the problem is and don't need to fabricate them so that we can spend years debating to come up with a long drawn out, expensive solution that has zero bearing. You are aware that illegal immigration is all encompassing right? It isn't just Mexicans and oddly enough they aren't even the majority. Even if illegal immigration has shown some decline, it is still an issue to be fixed.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(05-31-2018, 10:21 PM)lastonealive Wrote: I like the way that Mexican immigrants committing crime is worth of the time and expense and probable impossibility of a border wall.

Compared to other things the Federal government wastes money on, the expense is insignificant. Basically it's a dozen fighter jets, and it should come out of the military budget since it's defending against a foreign invasion.

The savings in less government assistance for illegals would cover it. We're talking about a one-time cost for a wall vs. a continuing cost in government assistance. And don't claim that they are coming here for jobs. The children coming across the Mexican border illegally are definitely not coming here for jobs, they are coming here for US taxpayer-funded handouts, frequently along with a parent who also soaks up assistanceBut maybe you should encourage your country to offer to take them in instead of complaining about a policy of a country where you aren't even a citizen.

While the critics call it impossible, critics always do. China built a wall, by hand, over much tougher terrain. True it took a 200 years, but again it was by hand. Heavier than air flight was claimed impossible. Landing a man on the moon was claimed impossible. The wall doesn't require new technology, just willpower. And the most difficult impassible terrain can be put off for last. If the terrain is impassible then a wall is not needed there yet.

As far as school  shooting is concerned, what additional legislation would prevent it when the problem is that the government doesn't enforce the laws that already exist? The Parkland shooter and the Pulse shooter were both known to authorities long before they went on their shooting sprees, yet somehow it's the NRA's fault?

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(05-31-2018, 09:46 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(05-30-2018, 07:56 PM)TJBender Wrote: Israel also has a disproportionately huge military presence, shoot on sight policies, a history of human rights abuses, zero civil liberties for anyone not born Israeli, and the type of ego that can only come from almost 70 years of state sponsored terrorism being sanctioned by a sympathetic West. They're a great role model if your goal is a country motivated by xenophobia and zionism with the illusion of "elections" every few years.

Nice to hear from you Minister Farrakhan!

Nice knowing you dude, but calling me a terrorist because i disagree with you about how a country does business makes you the one and only person on my blocked list.

Virtual wall. Increased presence along the border. Stiff civil penalties for anyone housing, renting to or employing illegal immigrants. Criminal penalties for repeat offenders, those who knowingly do it and those who negligently do it. Immediate, lifetime bans from the US for anyone caught here illegally, including those who have knowingly overstayed their visa. And enforce the crap out of it. Make life in the US so unpleasant for those coming over here without going through the proper channels that illegal immigration stops over time naturally.

At the same time, give those already over here the opportunity to earn permanent residency, assuming there are no red flags that merit keeping them out. Limited amnesty to clean the slate and set the table going forward.

(This post was last modified: 06-01-2018, 01:34 PM by TrivialPursuit.)

(06-01-2018, 01:02 PM)TJBender Wrote:

Virtual wall. Increased presence along the border. Stiff civil penalties for anyone housing, renting to or employing illegal immigrants. Criminal penalties for repeat offenders, those who knowingly do it and those who negligently do it. Immediate, lifetime bans from the US for anyone caught here illegally, including those who have knowingly overstayed their visa. And enforce the crap out of it. Make life in the US so unpleasant for those coming over here without going through the proper channels that illegal immigration stops over time naturally.

At the same time, give those already over here the opportunity to earn permanent residency, assuming there are no red flags that merit keeping them out. Limited amnesty to clean the slate and set the table going forward.

No. To All of it. Because it would cost substantially if not exponentially more to do those things than build a wall.

You should go live in Europe and enjoy the slow invasion of Sharia Law.

(06-01-2018, 01:33 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(06-01-2018, 01:02 PM)TJBender Wrote: Virtual wall. Increased presence along the border. Stiff civil penalties for anyone housing, renting to or employing illegal immigrants. Criminal penalties for repeat offenders, those who knowingly do it and those who negligently do it. Immediate, lifetime bans from the US for anyone caught here illegally, including those who have knowingly overstayed their visa. And enforce the crap out of it. Make life in the US so unpleasant for those coming over here without going through the proper channels that illegal immigration stops over time naturally.

No. To All of it. Because it would cost substantially if not exponentially more to do those things than build a wall.

You should go live in Europe and enjoy the slow invasion of Sharia Law.

lol ... Sharia Law ... lol. Is there a dog whistle you don't respond to?
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

(06-01-2018, 01:33 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(06-01-2018, 01:02 PM)TJBender Wrote: Virtual wall. Increased presence along the border. Stiff civil penalties for anyone housing, renting to or employing illegal immigrants. Criminal penalties for repeat offenders, those who knowingly do it and those who negligently do it. Immediate, lifetime bans from the US for anyone caught here illegally, including those who have knowingly overstayed their visa. And enforce the crap out of it. Make life in the US so unpleasant for those coming over here without going through the proper channels that illegal immigration stops over time naturally.

And unlike a fence, it will work.