Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The merits of drafting TE in the first

Just read this interesting article about drafting TEs.

http://www.optimumscouting.com/news/repl...gronkowski

I love Hockenson as a player, but I can’t shake the feeling that a TE that high would be an error. As the article states, historically TEs don’t come into their prime until their 2nd contracts (fingers crossed Swaim fits this bill), and investing a first in a TE and expecting immediate results is probably a fools game.

I’m increasingly thinking we will go o-line or d-line in the first, with a TE coming in round 2 or 3.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2019, 01:35 PM by Caldrac.)

(04-01-2019, 12:20 PM)JagJohn Wrote: Just read this interesting article about drafting TEs.

I love Hockenson as a player, but I can’t shake the feeling that a TE that high would be an error. As the article states, historically TEs don’t come into their prime until their 2nd contracts (fingers crossed Swaim fits this bill), and investing a first in a TE and expecting immediate results is probably a fools game.

I’m increasingly thinking we will go o-line or d-line in the first, with a TE coming in round 2 or 3.

It's anybody's guess. I don't like Taylor at OT with the 7th overall pick though. Especially at RT when it's not a premier position such as LT. If I had to choose between Hockenson and Taylor I would take Hockenson. This is not a really deep TE class. OT is actually pretty deep this year. Once you get past Hockenson and Fant at TE it gets pretty slim or you start seeing one dimensional type players at the position. 

I wouldn't be shocked if they went D-Line though. If they like Gary out of Michigan or even Oliver out of Houston it wouldn't shock me at all. Especially with Campbell up in age and with Ngakoue's contract up you just never know what these guys want to do. My dark horse pick is Devin White at ILB. I actually really like that pick if he's the BAP on the board. Move him inside and put Jack back outside where his speed and hitting ability our better suited. White is a natural inside. And he's a physical freak. Would be a good look.

Wouldn't be surprised if they took a CB early too on day two with that 2nd RD pick. Ramsey may be looking for QB money at the CB position in a few weeks or months from now and he'll pull a LeVeon Bell or Antonio Brown to get his way. He's a diva. Great player. But a diva still.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(04-01-2019, 01:26 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(04-01-2019, 12:20 PM)JagJohn Wrote: Just read this interesting article about drafting TEs.

It's anybody's guess. I don't like Taylor at OT with the 7th overall pick though. Especially at RT when it's not a premier position such as LT. If I had to choose between Hockenson and Taylor I would take Hockenson. This is not a really deep TE class. OT is actually pretty deep this year. Once you get past Hockenson and Fant at TE it gets pretty slim or you start seeing one dimensional type players at the position. 

I wouldn't be shocked if they went D-Line though. If they like Gary out of Michigan or even Oliver out of Houston it wouldn't shock me at all. Especially with Campbell up in age and with Ngakoue's contract up you just never know what these guys want to do. My dark horse pick is Devin White at ILB. I actually really like that pick if he's the BAP on the board. Move him inside and put Jack back outside where his speed and hitting ability our better suited. White is a natural inside. And he's a physical freak. Would be a good look.

Wouldn't be surprised if they took a CB early too on day two with that 2nd RD pick. Ramsey may be looking for QB money at the CB position in a few weeks or months from now and he'll pull a LeVeon Bell or Antonio Brown to get his way. He's a diva. Great player. But a diva still.

Papa Ramsey aint gonna have none of that nonsense.
He is a different type of diva. Not the type to bail on his teammates.

(04-01-2019, 01:26 PM)Caldrac Wrote:

How do you come to this conclusion?

OT has 3 LT options and one is seen as a guy that needs to bulk and one that is dropping like a rock (Dillard/Little/Williams) the rest of the OT class that is rated as 2nd round or better is 2 RT (McGary/Risner).

As far as the rest of the OT who else do you see as possibily stepping in as a starter on day one?  Howard/Cajuste?

For the TEs,  I can see Hockenson/Fant/Knox/Smith Jr. all being pretty impactful TE1 really quickly.  Then you have a ton of intriguing guys that could be a TE2 opening day with potential as a TE1 (Sternberger/Warring/Moreau).  Then you round out the list with a lot of guys that are good in their niche (C. Wilson, Nauta, K. Smith).

Needless to say I think you can get a starting caliber TE in year in the 3rd round and possibly even into the 4th...for the OT class Dillard/Taylor/Williams will be gone in the 1st and then McGary/Risner/Little will be gone in the 2nd leaving fairly slim pickings as far as OT prospects...OG/C might have some guys in the 3rd but this OT class really isn't all that deep to me.

(04-01-2019, 01:55 PM)jagshype Wrote: Papa Ramsey aint gonna have none of that nonsense.
He is a different type of diva. Not the type to bail on his teammates.

I Disagree.

[Image: 200w.webp?cid=790b76115ca25fde6a3652776f7a69fb]

(04-01-2019, 02:14 PM)BlueEyedJag Wrote:
(04-01-2019, 01:26 PM)Caldrac Wrote: It's anybody's guess. I don't like Taylor at OT with the 7th overall pick though. Especially at RT when it's not a premier position such as LT. If I had to choose between Hockenson and Taylor I would take Hockenson. This is not a really deep TE class. OT is actually pretty deep this year. Once you get past Hockenson and Fant at TE it gets pretty slim or you start seeing one dimensional type players at the position. 

How do you come to this conclusion?

OT has 3 LT options and one is seen as a guy that needs to bulk and one that is dropping like a rock (Dillard/Little/Williams) the rest of the OT class that is rated as 2nd round or better is 2 RT (McGary/Risner).

As far as the rest of the OT who else do you see as possibily stepping in as a starter on day one?  Howard/Cajuste?

For the TEs,  I can see Hockenson/Fant/Knox/Smith Jr. all being pretty impactful TE1 really quickly.  Then you have a ton of intriguing guys that could be a TE2 opening day with potential as a TE1 (Sternberger/Warring/Moreau).  Then you round out the list with a lot of guys that are good in their niche (C. Wilson, Nauta, K. Smith).

Needless to say I think you can get a starting caliber TE in year in the 3rd round and possibly even into the 4th...for the OT class Dillard/Taylor/Williams will be gone in the 1st and then McGary/Risner/Little will be gone in the 2nd leaving fairly slim pickings as far as OT prospects...OG/C might have some guys in the 3rd but this OT class really isn't all that deep to me.

PFF. That's it really.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I would love Hockenson but Im like some of the others. I think we take a lineman unless we trade back

(04-01-2019, 01:26 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I wouldn't be shocked if they went D-Line though. If they like Gary out of Michigan or even Oliver out of Houston it wouldn't shock me at all. Especially with Campbell up in age and with Ngakoue's contract up you just never know what these guys want to do. My dark horse pick is Devin White at ILB. I actually really like that pick if he's the BAP on the board. Move him inside and put Jack back outside where his speed and hitting ability our better suited. White is a natural inside. And he's a physical freak. Would be a good look.

I have also been enamored with the idea of drafting him and moving Jack back outside where he was more effective. It's a double improvement and that defense would then be tight as a drum.

OT, TE, WR, then BAP S/DL/QB after that.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

I believe Hockenson should be the first round pick. He will be an immediate starter who can help upgrade both the running and passing game of the Jaguars. There will be some solid linemen in round 2 at both tackle and guard. McGary and Lindstrom would both be very good picks and immediate starters unless Richardson wins the job.

(04-01-2019, 06:32 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: I believe Hockenson should be the first round pick. He will be an immediate starter who can help upgrade both the running and passing game of the Jaguars. There will be some solid linemen in round 2 at both tackle and guard. McGary and Lindstrom would both be very good picks and immediate starters unless Richardson wins the job.

Agreed, I think he should be the pick as well.

Hock then OL has become the chalky way to pick our draft. I think people thinking otherwise are just suffering from trying to be different. Only other option is OT/TE unless Quinnen falls

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2019, 06:51 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(04-01-2019, 06:47 PM)JNev Wrote: Hock then OL has become the chalky way to pick our draft. I think people thinking otherwise are just suffering from trying to be different. Only other option is OT/TE unless Quinnen falls

Your pick in the mock draft

Im starting to think if we dont trade back we go dline in the 1st, McGary in the 2nd if hes there, and a TE in the 3rd

(04-01-2019, 06:47 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-01-2019, 06:47 PM)JNev Wrote: Hock then OL has become the chalky way to pick our draft. I think people thinking otherwise are just suffering from trying to be different. Only other option is OT/TE unless Quinnen falls

Your pick in the mock draft

Im starting to think if we dont trade back we go dline in the 1st, McGary in the 2nd if hes there, and a TE in the 3rd

Houston is up from what I can tell?

(04-01-2019, 07:52 PM)JNev Wrote:
(04-01-2019, 06:47 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Your pick in the mock draft

That is correct the Tin Horns are on the clock.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(04-01-2019, 07:52 PM)JNev Wrote:
(04-01-2019, 06:47 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Your pick in the mock draft

My bad

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2019, 10:00 PM by Upper.)

Hock is great but the rest of this TE class is really good too. There is definite opportunity cost to spending a top 7 pick on Hock when the fall off later on isn't so great. This isn't an OJ Howard situation where the other elite players on the board (Adams, Hooker, and Lattimore) were also lower valued positions or a position we have two all pros. There are other elite players at elite valued positions that we should be taking IMO.

Believing that, and that Jonah/Taylor are both very overrated...I am not "trying to be different." I am just trying to make the smart pick

I think the best pick for us is a non Gary DL or Dillard. But I wouldn't be upset with Hock or Metcalf either.

(04-01-2019, 09:57 PM)Upper Wrote:

Hock is great but the rest of this TE class is really good too. There is definite opportunity cost to spending a top 7 pick on Hock when the fall off later on isn't so great. This isn't an OJ Howard situation where the other elite players on the board (Adams, Hooker, and Lattimore) were also lower valued positions or a position we have two all pros. There are other elite players at elite valued positions that we should be taking IMO.

Believing that, and that Jonah/Taylor are both very overrated...I am not "trying to be different." I am just trying to make the smart pick

I think the best pick for us is a non Gary DL or Dillard. But I wouldn't be upset with Hock or Metcalf either.

I'm reaching a point where there are a load of players who I would be happy at 7... Haskins, Hock, Taylor, Sweat, Bosa, Allen, Williams, Murray... Even Oliver, Burns, Fant or Metcalf...

It all adds up to ultimately wanting a trade down.

(04-01-2019, 10:22 PM)JagJohn Wrote:
(04-01-2019, 09:57 PM)Upper Wrote: Hock is great but the rest of this TE class is really good too. There is definite opportunity cost to spending a top 7 pick on Hock when the fall off later on isn't so great. This isn't an OJ Howard situation where the other elite players on the board (Adams, Hooker, and Lattimore) were also lower valued positions or a position we have two all pros. There are other elite players at elite valued positions that we should be taking IMO.

I'm reaching a point where there are a load of players who I would be happy at 7... Haskins, Hock, Taylor, Sweat, Bosa, Allen, Williams, Murray... Even Oliver, Burns, Fant or Metcalf...

It all adds up to ultimately wanting a trade down.

I wouldn't mind trading down, as long as it isn't too far down.  I would be leery of any trade down that takes us past 11.

I want at least either Hock or Fant, Taylor or perhaps Metcalf or Sweat (should he fall) to be an option with our first round pick.  Trading back too far would jeopardize their availability to us, because Detroit, Buffalo, Denver, Cincinnati and Green Bay could all use a TE.  The funny thing is, just about all of those teams could also use a good RT (Taylor), a WR (Metcalf), or even a pass rusher (Sweat).

Along those lines, I am also having a problem with waiting to get a particular position in the 2nd round, though I know it is inevitable.    For instance, if we wait until the 2nd round to get a RT, we face potential competition for a guy like McGary at the bottom of the first from teams like the Houston (23rd overall, plus 2 2nd round picks), the Chargers (28th overall), the rams (#31), and at the top of the 2nd from Arizona and the Giants.  If we go TE with our 2nd rounder, we face a similar dynamic with teams like Oakland (#24, #27, and #35) Green Bay at #30, New England at #32, #56 and #64) and Arizona at #33.  I shudder to think what would happen if we waited until the 3rd round to take one of those positions.  Even though the 3rd round is typically a good round to find RTs and TEs and the TE class is supposedly pretty deep, I have the fear that there will be an unexpected run on whatever position before our pick and the guy we want/need is gone.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

I don't think all of Risner, Lindstrom, Bradbury, McGary, and Jenkins will be gone by our 2nd rounder so we should be able to go DL in the first while still getting a good OL in the 2nd and taking advantage of the pass catcher depth to get a Knox/Sternberger/Wilson and any number of solid WR left.

Imagine an Oliver, McGary, Knox, Isabella draft...

(04-02-2019, 01:56 AM)Upper Wrote: I don't think all of Risner, Lindstrom, Bradbury, McGary, and Jenkins will be gone by our 2nd rounder so we should be able to go DL in the first while still getting a good OL in the 2nd and taking advantage of the pass catcher depth to get a Knox/Sternberger/Wilson and any number of solid WR left.

Imagine an Oliver, McGary, Knox, Isabella draft...

My concern is that not all of those guys can play RT.

Sure, Bradbury and Lindstrom can upgrade Cann, but if they can't play T, then even if we take Hockenson in the first, his impact in the passing game would be mitigated by having to keep him in to block.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!