Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Yannick Ngakoue skipping mandatory mini camp

If Yann is gone my tickets are gone. Simple stuff.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-10-2019, 03:31 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 02:17 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: They need to stop playing around and pay this man.   Been the most consistent pass rusher this team has ever drafted.  He no doubt will pass Tony Brackens franchise record of career sacks.

We just "bought" a new QB. This is what happens when you spend big money and purchase a good one, instead of drafting one and developing him. Now, we have a ton of young talent who are gonna want to get paid (and rightfully so,) but we're not gonna have the cap room to pay everyone. I desperately wanna keep Yannick. He's my favorite player, but ultimately, we're gonna lose a "star" player or two, because we just don't have the cap room. Whether that be Yannick Ngakoue, Jalen Ramsey, Myles Jack or a combination of two of those players, is anyone's guess at this point. At this point, I just stand pat and keep Ngakoue under his current deal and worry about it after the season. I'd love to lock him into a new deal, but at this point, I just don't think it would be smart, from an economics standpoint.

You are absolutely right.

For years, I have stated that free agency-especially big ticket free agency-is to make up for draft day failures, and this is no different.

But this seems to be the first time in team history that the majority of media and fans seem to support a player holding out the way Ngakoue is.

However, I don't see the fan support for Ngakoue continuing if it lingers too long.

But the team needs to get him signed.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(06-10-2019, 04:51 PM)JackCity Wrote: Not too mad because I think it's a matter of when not if. He can take as long as he wants, Yannick will be ready week 1

(06-10-2019, 03:16 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Who don't show up, needs to be fined

Ok then you just pay him it back in the contract.

My thoughts as well

(06-10-2019, 03:44 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 03:31 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: We just "bought" a new QB. This is what happens when you spend big money and purchase a good one, instead of drafting one and developing him. Now, we have a ton of young talent who are gonna want to get paid (and rightfully so,) but we're not gonna have the cap room to pay everyone. I desperately wanna keep Yannick. He's my favorite player, but ultimately, we're gonna lose a "star" player or two, because we just don't have the cap room. Whether that be Yannick Ngakoue, Jalen Ramsey, Myles Jack or a combination of two of those players, is anyone's guess at this point. At this point, I just stand pat and keep Ngakoue under his current deal and worry about it after the season. I'd love to lock him into a new deal, but at this point, I just don't think it would be smart, from an economics standpoint.
Pay Yan. Pay Ramsey. See if you can work something out with Jack and if not, let him go.

If we pay Yannick top 5 money, (which is likely what he's gonna want,) I guaranteed Ramsey is gonna wanna be the highest paid CB in the league. Right there, we won't have enough money to pay both. Even if we cut Telvin and Dareus, we're likely gonna have to decide between Ngakoue and Ramsey. I just don't see us being able to keep both and still be able to field a competitive team around our stars.

(06-10-2019, 10:33 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 03:44 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Pay Yan. Pay Ramsey. See if you can work something out with Jack and if not, let him go.

If we pay Yannick top 5 money, (which is likely what he's gonna want,) I guaranteed Ramsey is gonna wanna be the highest paid CB in the league. Right there, we won't have enough money to pay both. Even if we cut Telvin and Dareus, we're likely gonna have to decide between Ngakoue and Ramsey. I just don't see us being able to keep both and still be able to field a competitive team around our stars.

I dunno.

Bortles comes off the books after this year.  Dareus likely is gone.  Maybe Campbell and Bouye.  Who knows with Telvin.

I haven't crunched the numbers, but I wonder if Telvin does not report, we can put him on the did not report list and recover the cap space, giving us just enough to sign Yannick this year.

(06-10-2019, 10:48 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 10:33 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: If we pay Yannick top 5 money, (which is likely what he's gonna want,) I guaranteed Ramsey is gonna wanna be the highest paid CB in the league. Right there, we won't have enough money to pay both. Even if we cut Telvin and Dareus, we're likely gonna have to decide between Ngakoue and Ramsey. I just don't see us being able to keep both and still be able to field a competitive team around our stars.

I dunno.

Bortles comes off the books after this year.  Dareus likely is gone.  Maybe Campbell and Bouye.  Who knows with Telvin.

I haven't crunched the numbers, but I wonder if Telvin does not report, we can put him on the did not report list and recover the cap space, giving us just enough to sign Yannick this year.
That is probably a plan A. The issue is you can't do that until his money gets cleared off the books and that probably doesn't happen until camp or season start.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

(06-10-2019, 11:21 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 10:48 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I dunno.

That is probably a plan A. The issue is you can't do that until his money gets cleared off the books and that probably doesn't happen until camp or season start.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

On top of that, Ramsey is gonna wanna get paid like the top QB in the NFL. That will be an additional $15+ million per year with $50 million guaranteed. What big contracts do we have left to cut, in order to get this deal done? We haven't even gotten to Myles Jack yet.

Guy should just take out like a15 mil insurance policy for injury. I hate holdouts for whatever reason. Especially over money as it always is. Man 10 mil a year should be enough for anyone on this planet. I am just a fan and watching these salaries keep teams from keeping good players,especially homegrown talent is sickening.

Greed is bad. The league is bad for letting it get to this point. Either raise the cap or get these players heads screwed on better.

Maybe they are shopping him around. If they are, I’m not sure who they would even target. Maybe a WR or a LB? Highly doubt it.

My only question about the holdout is....after all these years of us having to “Generate” a pass rush as Del Rio used to put it. Why on Earth would they not just pay Yannick.

He’s got close to 30 sacks since he was drafted. Brackens holds the record at 55. Yannick could break that record in 2 to 3 years and still be in his prime.

On the flip side, if they are looking out for guys like Ramsey and Myles Jack then it gets tough. We all knew this would happen eventually. And that’s why we were in “win now” mode. We struck gold with that 2016 draft.

Threw all that cash at a low level QB in Bortles, then had to turn around and “buy” Foles. Now here we are. We’re about to lose a ton of really good football players.

Shouldn’t have gave Blake Bortles all that money.

(06-10-2019, 11:42 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Maybe they are shopping him around.  If they are, I’m not sure who they would even target. Maybe a WR or a LB?  Highly doubt it.

My only question about the holdout is....after all these years of us having to “Generate” a pass rush as Del Rio used to put it. Why on Earth would they not just pay Yannick.

He’s got close to 30 sacks since he was drafted. Brackens holds the record at 55.  Yannick could break that record in 2 to 3 years and still be in his prime.

On the flip side, if they are looking out for guys like Ramsey and Myles Jack then it gets tough. We all knew this would happen eventually. And that’s why we were in “win now” mode. We struck gold with that 2016 draft.

Threw all that cash at a low level QB in Bortles, then had to turn around and “buy” Foles. Now here we are. We’re about to lose a ton of really good football players.

Shouldn’t have gave Blake Bortles all that money.

Yep.

If they wanted to keep him, just exercise the 5th year option.

Would have been much cheaper.t

(This post was last modified: 06-11-2019, 12:34 AM by surfon.)

Wasnt the fifth year option declined before the 2017 season or midway thru it? Did they have the option after the season. Plus majority of fans were ok with the deal at the time.

Maybe shouldn't have signed norwell to that contract. Anyways hindsight is just da bomb right.

Personally I think yann is more important to sign than Ramsey. I still don't like the situation. Minicamp is not bad, training camp would be.

(06-10-2019, 10:33 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 03:44 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Pay Yan. Pay Ramsey. See if you can work something out with Jack and if not, let him go.

A 5-year $80-mil contract would pretty much make him the top paid CB, however, Nuk Hopkins is making that much since signing years ago and Ramsey may claim he deserves more than Nuk... perhaps 5 years $90 mil or 6 years $100 mil.
'02

(This post was last modified: 06-11-2019, 02:57 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(06-11-2019, 02:34 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 10:33 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: If we pay Yannick top 5 money, (which is likely what he's gonna want,) I guaranteed Ramsey is gonna wanna be the highest paid CB in the league. Right there, we won't have enough money to pay both. Even if we cut Telvin and Dareus, we're likely gonna have to decide between Ngakoue and Ramsey. I just don't see us being able to keep both and still be able to field a competitive team around our star players.

A 5-year $80-mil contract would pretty much make him the top paid CB, however, Nuk Hopkins is making that much since signing years ago and Ramsey may claim he deserves more than Nuk... perhaps 5 years $90 mil or 6 years $100 mil.

Back in May, the Dolphins made Xavien Howard the highest paid CB in the NFL. His contract averages $15,050,000 a year, totals $75,250,000 and has $46 million guaranteed. That's what we are gonna have to top in order to keep Ramsey. 

As for Yannick Ngakoue, Khalil Mack is the highest paid edge rusher. His contract totals $141 million, averages $23.5 million per year and $90 million of that is guaranteed. He's not gonna top Mack. Demarcus Lawrence is the second highest with $105 million contract. It averages $21 million per year and has $65 million guaranteed. My guess is that he will be asking something equal to this contract. 

To lock up both Ngakoue and Ramsey, we are looking at needing somewhere in the ballpark of $30-36 million in cap space, depending on how the deals are structured. I have no idea where it's gonna come from considering what we just paid Foles. Not to mention that Jack is gonna probably want $9-10 million per year as well.

A lot of people screaming to pay Yann...Same people justifying his not reporting to mini-camp because it's a business. That holds true on the other side as well. Why negotiate a high dollar contract this year when he still has another year left, plus the ability to franchise him after this completed year? The Jags are not set up to deal out large contracts this year. Let it play out until next off-season and the financial climate changes drastically. Also, from the Jags perspective, I'd like to see how Yann plays this year as well as the other DE. In any case, Yann does not have leverage. Yes, he has outperformed his contract but he is still under contract. Yann has flip-flopped his position several times which kind of rubs me wrong. I'd fine him the max for every day he is absent from mandatory team activities.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

Can't the Jags just give him a bonus for this year? That way they could still use the franchise tag on Yan in 2020?
Or is that not how it works?

Personally I'd put a higher priority on keeping Yan than Ramsey, even if it costs more money.

I am fine with seeing Jalen in a different uniform, if it means we get to keep Yannick.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Yes, Ngakoue is out-performing his rookie contract, which is why he should get paid ultra-handsomely when his contract ends.

(06-11-2019, 08:51 AM)mikesez Wrote: Can't the Jags just give him a bonus for this year? That way they could still use the franchise tag on Yan in 2020?
Or is that not how it works?

Personally I'd put a higher priority on keeping Yan than Ramsey, even if it costs more money.

I am fine with seeing Jalen in a different uniform, if it means we get to keep Yannick.

The bonus thing is patently not how it works. Yan (and the team) are bound by the rookie deal he signed as a 3rd rounder. Any changes to that deal would be a new contract, and I will eat my shoe if he agrees to only a bonus for this season.

A deal will get done. The sky is not falling. I don't blame him for wanting to avoid any potential injury before the deal is inked.

I mean... Are we sleeping on just how good Yan actually is?

Since 2016, he has more sacks than Demarcus Lawerence, Dee Ford, Trey Flowers, Joey Bosa, Clowney and Ingram.

I’ve never understood the idea that this is just part of the business. He signed the contract, and he should fulfill the contract. I know why he’s doing it. I just don’t agree with it. I love Yannick, so I hope they sign him to a long term deal. But, with Josh Allen, and the rest of the talent on the DL, I’m not sure he has any leverage in this situation.

(06-11-2019, 09:17 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: I mean... Are we sleeping on just how good Yan actually is?

Since 2016, he has more sacks than Demarcus Lawerence, Dee Ford, Trey Flowers, Joey Bosa, Clowney and Ingram.

Yep.

https://twitter.com/alfiebcc/status/1138...98336?s=21
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."