Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Taven Bryan expectations?

The d tackle version of Luke joekel

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-26-2019, 12:07 AM)Trunt8728 Wrote: The d tackle version of Luke joekel

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I think the team [BLEEP] up by trying to play him at LDE and force him into being Calais Campbell's successor, they overestimated the ability to mold that athleticism by playing him at a spot he's never played before at any level or age. He's a natural 3-Technique and i think he'll do better playing there this year, he made strides late last year after they moved him back inside. He can still be developed, i figured he'd be raw and take a few years of seasoning on his technique before he truly beasts tf out. But when he does ... with Yan and Josh Allen on the edges next to him?!? *shivers*
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(04-26-2019, 08:02 PM)Firesky Wrote: I think the team [BLEEP] up by trying to play him at LDE and force him into being Calais Campbell's successor, they overestimated the ability to mold that athleticism by playing him at a spot he's never played before at any level or age. He's a natural 3-Technique and i think he'll do better playing there this year, he made strides late last year after they moved him back inside. He can still be developed, i figured he'd be raw and take a few years of seasoning on his technique before he truly beasts tf out. But when he does ... with Yan and Josh Allen on the edges next to him?!? *shivers*
Yep I don't think he has the experience or intelligence to play there right now. He just looks like a guy who got by on his size and speed, never really having to learn how to play because he was bigger and faster.

Now he has to learn because everyone is his size and strength.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Apparently he hasn't been practicing with the starters much

Taven Bryan is the perfect example of why I hate drafting potential over production. Guys that flash their entire college careers, but never produce consistently should not be first round picks or even second rounders in my opinion.

I mean a vast majority of us wanted Goedert but I’m willing to give Bryan a Chance.

Dude is playing behind some really good players and he was an extremely late first round pick. Not sure what else we could ask out of him at this point.

(08-05-2019, 08:51 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I mean a vast majority of us wanted Goedert but I’m willing to give Bryan a Chance.

Dude is playing behind some really good players and he was an extremely late first round pick. Not sure what else we could ask out of him at this point.

Exactly, it's not like he's running on the 2nd team while having a bunch of no name scrubs running with the 1's in front of him. We all knew that this starting DL would be Campbell, Dareus, Abry, and Ngakoue.

I mean, did anybody actually expect Bryan to be working ahead of Campbell and Dareus this season?

(08-05-2019, 10:30 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(08-05-2019, 08:51 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I mean a vast majority of us wanted Goedert but I’m willing to give Bryan a Chance.

Exactly, it's not like he's running on the 2nd team while having a bunch of no name scrubs running with the 1's in front of him. We all knew that this starting DL would be Campbell, Dareus, Abry, and Ngakoue.

I mean, did anybody actually expect Bryan to be working ahead of Campbell and Dareus this season?
I expected and still expect that he’ll get at least 40% of the 3 tech snaps. More than that will depend on his performance. Could be he gets closer to 60% of the snaps there as Dareus will slide to the nose at times.

(This post was last modified: 08-06-2019, 06:22 AM by The Real Marty.)

I think he'll be good.  He obviously has the talent and, from all reports, the work ethic.  Rookie defensive linemen rarely make an impact, even first round picks.  

I think all the naysayers aren't giving the guy a chance.  He needs this second season to make the big jump a lot of players make in their second season.

Also remember, he as taken at the BOTTOM of the first round.

(08-06-2019, 06:21 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I think he'll be good.  He obviously has the talent and, from all reports, the work ethic.  Rookie defensive linemen rarely make an impact, even first round picks.  

I think all the naysayers aren't giving the guy a chance.  He needs this second season to make the big jump a lot of players make in their second season.

Also remember, he as taken at the BOTTOM of the first round.

Yeah, this gets overlooked sometimes. Given that, he's still been a little disappointing in training camp so far from what I've been hearing. We'll see what happens when the real games start.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Was thinking if he was going to transform into a great player, we'd start seeing that improvement during this training camp. A year under his belt of experience and NFL level coaching. Since the reports from camp arent great, doesnt give me hope he'll take that next step. But who knows, still early.

Still think he will have a nice career as a rotational guy.

Way too soon to write him off, still very talented. This is just what I was talking about when I said we should probably temper out expectations for him this season as he has a lot of development to do. He was drafted as a 3/4 year development plan

Taven would benefit from HGH.  He should probably play the percentages and take the risk for a year.

(This post was last modified: 08-06-2019, 05:38 PM by JagFanatic24.)

(04-26-2019, 12:07 AM)Trunt8728 Wrote: The d tackle version of Luke joekel

Pretty Much

(08-06-2019, 06:21 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Rookie defensive linemen rarely make an impact, even first round picks.  

You can say that about any rookie at any position.

(08-06-2019, 12:49 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-05-2019, 10:30 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Exactly, it's not like he's running on the 2nd team while having a bunch of no name scrubs running with the 1's in front of him. We all knew that this starting DL would be Campbell, Dareus, Abry, and Ngakoue.

I expected and still expect that he’ll get at least 40% of the 3 tech snaps. More than that will depend on his performance. Could be he gets closer to 60% of the snaps there as Dareus will slide to the nose at times.

Those numbers sound about right imo.

But I was talking about training camp and him not running in the starting line up. That shouldn't surprise anybody considering some of the guys we have on this DL.

We’re so conditioned to treat all our first rounders as if they were Top 10 or 5 picks

All pro or he's a bust.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(04-22-2019, 02:18 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: 3-4 sacks
5-6 TFL
25-35 tackles.
Not much.

I understand you specifically stated you don't expect much from him, but considering he is likely to come off the field on passing downs assuming good health for Campbell and Dareus, isn't your sack projection likely high for him?

Factoring Campbell as a DT, Bryan is at best the 4th best pass rusher among DTs

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Another Dave Caldwell ham sandwich bust. Why do people continue to make excuses for Caldwells picks? Now its along the lines of "first round rookies aren't expected to perform". Um, yes they are. Should have drafted BAP who could contribute immediately at their position.