Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Clowney vs Bridgewater

Quote:i think clowney is gonna be a stud also and i dont really want to pass on him. im happy either way but in a passing league, a stud DE is paramount.
In a passing league QB is even more so
If that RV sales place wants Tebow in Jax bad enough to take out a billboard saying as much.....they should just HIRE him.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:In a passing league QB is even more so

The most important thing you can do on defense is neutralize the opponent's QB.

Offense is only half the game.  (More like a third, should you include special teams.)

Affecting your opponent's QB is equally as important as having an effective QB.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Given the option of a true franchise QB or a DE...which would be easier to neutralize with game planning? I'd think the DE. How many times has Freeney been stonewalled in a game in comparison to Manning?
If that RV sales place wants Tebow in Jax bad enough to take out a billboard saying as much.....they should just HIRE him.

Quote:Given the option of a true franchise QB or a DE...which would be easier to neutralize with game planning? I'd think the DE. How many times has Freeney been stonewalled in a game in comparison to Manning?
I mean just flip on a SC game this year and you can see the easy answer. Sure, teams are avoiding him and he is having an impact, but offenses are also being pretty darn effective while doing it. It's impossible to game plan around the guy who touches the ball every play. 

Quote:The most important thing you can do on defense is neutralize the opponent's QB.

Offense is only half the game.  (More like a third, should you include special teams.)

Still pretending that JJ Watt or Von Miller have anywhere near as much impact on a football game as the league's best quarterbacks, I see.

Quote:The most important thing you can do on defense is neutralize the opponent's QB.

Sure. But the problem with that argument is that it requires more than one good defensive player lined up to do so.

TEST

The most important thing you can do on defense is force turnovers.  

And I don't think Special Teams accounts for a third of the game.  Not unless you plan on ending drives with anything but a touchdown.  I'd say it's closer to 20%.  40/40/20.

And having an effective QB is more important than neutralizing your opponents QB.  Because having an effective QB helps neutralize the opponents QB by giving him less time with the ball.  An effective DE will give your QB more chances, but if he doesn't do much with it, it's all for naught.  If your QB however can sustain drives -- then your opponent's QB gets less opportunities to do anything.  

Every minute you have the ball, that's a minute your opponent doesn't.  Right now we're letting our opponents have 7 minutes more with the ball than we have.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

almost every year (lol geno) theres always a "franchise qb" available when youre drafting early. but a stud DE like clowney doesnt come by that often.

http://blogs.thescore.com/nfl/2010/12/22...ial-teams/

Quote:almost every year (lol geno) theres always a "franchise qb" available when youre drafting early. but a stud DE like clowney doesnt come by that often.

They actually do. And they rarely ever require a top 3 pick to acquire.

TEST

Quote:They actually do. And they rarely ever require a top 3 pick to acquire.
tell me these players every year that are being compared to bruce smith and/or reggie white.

Quote:tell me these players every year that are being compared to bruce smith and/or reggie white.

Do you want to list elite pass rushers or just people who are still in college and being overrated?

TEST

Quote:Do you want to list elite pass rushers or just people who are still in college and being overrated?
read my post again  :whistling:

(This post was last modified: 10-01-2013, 01:45 PM by BluegrassBrandon.)

Reggie White comparisons aside, Clowney probably won't be as much of an all-around force as Watt or Miller. He isn't on their level as a run-stopper.

So our plan is to what?  Go 0-16 two years in a row and cross our fingers that the QB prospects next year don't flop (remember Matt Barkley?) and that another team doesn't happen to fail just as bad as we do?

Clowney's a great prospect.  If we get a franchise QB instead, few people will be complaining that we missed out on him.

Quote:So our plan is to what?  Go 0-16 two years in a row and cross our fingers that the QB prospects next year don't flop (remember Matt Barkley?) and that another team doesn't happen to fail just as bad as we do?

Clowney's a great prospect.  If we get a franchise QB instead, few people will be complaining that we missed out on him.

As dumb as it sounds, there are actually multiple jaguars fans here and on FF that have suggested we somehow do this. It's embarrassing as a fellow fan.

TEST

I mean if in 2011 Andrew Luck came out, would anyone be complaining that we drafted him over JJ Watt?

Quote:I mean if in 2011 Andrew Luck came out, would anyone be complaining that we drafted him over JJ Watt?

We have fans that want Teblow, so I would imagine so.

TEST

Quote:Sure. But the problem with that argument is that it requires more than one good defensive player lined up to do so.

That's not a problem with the argument, it's the reality of team sports.

The QB certainly doesn't do everything on offense by himself.

You guys are tripping all over yourselves for the sake of blind argument.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Reggie White comparisons aside, Clowney probably won't be as much of an all-around force as Watt or Miller. He isn't on their level as a run-stopper.
with his combination of size strength and speed, i dont see why not. so far this season theyre running the ball away from him. if that isnt impact idk what is.