Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jalen Ramsey thread (merged)

(10-15-2019, 10:28 PM)knarnn Wrote:
(10-15-2019, 10:17 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Keeping Ramsey at least gives us matchup advantages over most teams for years to come assuming TC had not pissed him off and we re-signed him.  Keeping Ramsey helps make the pass rushers more effective, because generally his coverage combined with Bouye made QBs hold the ball an extra second or so, enabling pass rshers to get there.

You guys minimize the importance of CB to a defense, which is kinda shocking considering the detritus we've had at the position over the years.  Belichick doesn't.  When you look at his Super Bowl teams, you see guys like Ty Law, Aqib Talib, Darelle Revis, and now Stephon Gilmore, with lesser guys like Asante Samuel.  Wade Phillips doesn't, and he's had guys like Talib, Harris, Peters, Jonathan Joseph and Terrance Newman.  

You are glad the noxious personality is gone, but you don't account for the talent he represents.

But the jags have a competent CB in AJ Bouye, who IMO is on par with the likes of Asante Samuel. The jags had the luxury of having two really good CBs but if he doesn’t want to be here what exactly more can you do? Take the draft haul and the cap savings you don’t have to spend on Ramsey and move on. 

A year from now when the Rams are struggling to keep their cobbled team together and don’t have any draft picks to look forward to and re-up with you’ll understand.
I sincerely hope the Rams play out exactly as you depict here, because it means the Jaguars will have higher draft picks in 2021.

But barring injury, they'll still be better defensively for it.  They will have two of the very best defenders in football with Donald and now Both are still in their primes.

But worse yet...it's the Jaguars LOSS of a premier talent at a premium position that bothers me.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 10-15-2019, 10:48 PM by knarnn.)

(10-15-2019, 10:40 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(10-15-2019, 09:45 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Exactly Bullseye. The problem is letting Ramsey and Yannick contracts get to this stage. It starts to affect the on field.

And like you point out, there arent many positions that we are genuinely in the top 10 in the league. We need so many things to go right and break our way on player development.

With that draft capital Khan may think that gives a new HC/FO something to build with.
Exactly...especially at the premier positions.

We had a guy widely considered to be the best CB in football, which is why so many teams were interested in acquiring him, and why the Rams were willing to give up the two first round picks and a 4th for him.
With him playing every game, the team finished in the top or higher every year he's been here.  We'll see where we finish this year with him not being here most of the time.

Elite talent has been so hard to come by for this team.

The team is 19-32 during Ramsey’s career. 

It’ll be interesting and fun to compare Ramsey’s career moving forward with the 3 picks acquired in the trade.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(10-15-2019, 10:48 PM)knarnn Wrote:
(10-15-2019, 10:40 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Exactly...especially at the premier positions.

We had a guy widely considered to be the best CB in football, which is why so many teams were interested in acquiring him, and why the Rams were willing to give up the two first round picks and a 4th for him.
With him playing every game, the team finished in the top or higher every year he's been here.  We'll see where we finish this year with him not being here most of the time.

It’ll be interesting and fun to compare Ramsey’s career moving forward with the 3 picks acquired in the trade.

As much as I love/appreciate the Minshew magic and what Foles has to offer, imagine if somehow that 2021 pick was Trevor Lawrence - either through trade or how good the pick turned out to be.

(10-15-2019, 10:48 PM)knarnn Wrote:
(10-15-2019, 10:40 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Exactly...especially at the premier positions.

So you think it's HIS fault?!?

Yes, that will be an interesting comparison.

My hunch is it is doubtful the Jaguars will draft an equal or better talent with the picks acquired from the Rams.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(10-15-2019, 10:40 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(10-15-2019, 09:45 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Exactly Bullseye. The problem is letting Ramsey and Yannick contracts get to this stage. It starts to affect the on field.

And like you point out, there arent many positions that we are genuinely in the top 10 in the league. We need so many things to go right and break our way on player development.

With that draft capital Khan may think that gives a new HC/FO something to build with.
Exactly...especially at the premier positions.

Ramsey is a great player; an amazing player. But, come on he’s not worth the trouble he’s been. I jumped off his bandwagon this last week when he lied to Kahn. Dude is a liar, manipulative, and let down his teammates. We already have enough problems here we don’t need a locker room cancer too. 

I agree that we need a great CB, but we don’t need the best CB particularly one who’s as soft as Ramsey. Besides with Ramsey were what? Like 18-33? We had one great season with him and let’s not forget how the Steelers almost came back and beat us in the divisional. We can find another Bouye I believe easily. To me CB’s are a dime a dozen. We need DL and OL, Minshew to be amazing, a S, and a TE, and given that we have 18 draft picks in the next couple drafts I think we’re in good shape.

(10-15-2019, 09:24 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(10-15-2019, 09:13 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: I think we should resign Yan even if the deal is a little sweeter than the FO wants to pay.  We should have the reputation of taking care of our own.

Some posters are grieving the loss of Ramsey too much.  This break-up was 80/20 on him.  OTH, the FO could have recognized that he was the exception to the rules and given him a new contract before training camp.  But hindsight is often clearer.  Without relitigating the whole affair, Ramsey is an arrogant, self-centered, disloyal narcissist.  He's a top 5 corner in the league.  But from my perspective, goodbye to a hot trash character guy.

Your opening point is somewhat ironic.  We SHOULD have the rep for taking care of our own, but I can't say we currently enjoy such a reputation.

Yeah...Ramsey bears responsibility for this, but I certainly do not absolve TC for his role in this.

That largely depends on what TC could have said that was sooooooooo offensive.

"We love you Jalen, but we see you as the 4th best CB in the league."

It isn't hard to fathom that something like this may be what set the little diva off, probably without having the guts to state he found it so harsh to TC himself.

(10-15-2019, 10:53 PM)MojoKing Wrote:

Ramsey is a great player; an amazing player. But, come on he’s not worth the trouble he’s been. I jumped off his bandwagon this last week when he lied to Kahn. Dude is a liar, manipulative, and let down his teammates. We already have enough problems here we don’t need a locker room cancer too. 

I agree that we need a great CB, but we don’t need the best CB particularly one who’s as soft as Ramsey. Besides with Ramsey were what? Like 18-33? We had one great season with him and let’s not forget how the Steelers almost came back and beat us in the divisional. We can find another Bouye I believe easily. To me CB’s are a dime a dozen. We need DL and OL, Minshew to be amazing, a S, and a TE, and given that we have 18 draft picks in the next couple drafts I think we’re in good shape.
It's not easy to find a Bouye, Bouye is an All Pro just like Ramsey.  Our only hope is to go after Harris Jr at season end

(10-15-2019, 10:52 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(10-15-2019, 10:48 PM)knarnn Wrote: The team is 19-32 during Ramsey’s career. 

My hunch is it is doubtful the Jaguars will draft an equal or better talent with the picks acquired from the Rams.

It's not just the picks.  It's also the cap savings you get in 2020/2021 by not having to pay Ramsey.  Money you can then use to sign other free agents.  So in reality you get two 1st rounders, a 4th rounder, and some free agents.  That more than makes up for the loss of Ramsey, especially since he already quit on the team.

No not entirely his fault. Only pointing out how much of an impact he’s had on the overall team. He had one “Elite” year, one down year, and one average year. He started this season on an average trajectory. Agree?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

According to ESPN, the Rams play man 34% of the time.

(10-15-2019, 10:59 PM)nate Wrote: According to ESPN, the Rams play man 34% of the time.

Boy is Wade in for a ride....

(10-15-2019, 10:59 PM)nate Wrote: According to ESPN, the Rams play man 34% of the time.

hahaha.  Ramsey sucks in zone lol.  This is great

(10-15-2019, 11:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

hahaha.  Ramsey sucks in zone lol.  This is great

Just wait until Ramsey wants to do his own thing while they are in zone - and gets exposed.

Boy are those picks looking a little better Laughing

Bye Felicia

[Image: 72821934_540742833403606_358562747539836...e=5E266B5B]

Of course lol..

Anybody who dislikes Ramsey literally looks at it like this....

If this team loses, it's because of Ramsey..

If this team wins, it's because they're winning despite of Ramsey rolf.

The chances this franchise drafts another blue chip, elite top 3 (best player at said position) player with either of those picks are literally the slimmest to none.

I think getting two first rounders and a 4th is a great haul.

Here’s to hoping Yannick tears it up now and earns a nice deal from us.

Next year we move on from Dareus and probably Calais. We will have the cap space to sign another nice free agent and then the two first rounders should help solidify the team.

No reason to be upset - we got a haul for him. He’s a great player but he’s about to become a very extremely expensive player which may diminish his value if he doesn’t play like 2017 Ramsey
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

(10-15-2019, 11:05 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(10-15-2019, 10:52 PM)Bullseye Wrote: So you think it's HIS fault?!?

Of course lol..

Anybody who dislikes Ramsey literally looks at it like this....

If this team loses, it's because of Ramsey..

If this team wins, it's because they're winning despite of Ramsey rolf.

The chances this franchise drafts another blue chip, elite top 3 (best player at said position) player with either of those picks are literally the slimmest to none.

Trevor Lawrence is out there... Just wait.

(10-15-2019, 10:45 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Now we need TC and Caldwell far away from the decision making for those picks.

We should trade the 1sts for 8 3rd rounders,  then Caldwell might have some success.

Rams are evidently the jags west coast landfill. Stink em up boys!

Talented player with a big personality that did not want to play in a small market. All of the other parts of this story are just window dressing.

This felt like a full blown circus looming. Once that level of drama hits, it would not be possible to get a reasonable return in trade.

The compensation was fair, going to NFC team, headache gone, cap space concern gone.

I will miss his performances and he is a very talented player, but given the situation It feels like a pretty good outcome for the team.