Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Nick Foles To Start Jaguars Game @ Colts On Nov. 17

(11-06-2019, 04:42 PM)jg77 Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 03:59 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: I'm not sure Lamar Jackson has what it takes upstairs to keep it up for a long career (and to stop the racists before they start, I thought and continue to think Byron Leftwich was the smartest QB we ever had).

If that's the case.... why go to Foles? Why not find out if what you have is real.. if he can take what he learned from last Sunday and do better.

That's my only reasoning... the Superbowl isn't going to happen with all the problems on the team.. the O-line, no TEs, the dismal playcalling... so throw Gardner in there and find out if he has what it takes in the long term.

Lamar's football IQ is off the charts. He reads the field better than of the QBs taken before him last year. His field vision and ability to read defenses is one of the best things about his play. Not sure why you are trying to project after your initial statement was false since Lamar > Minshew.

We're going to Foles because of his salary he was brought in to be the starter.   Minshew will be fine though. I'm pretty sure he'll be back starting before the end of this year. He's a 2.0 QB with his ability to run as well.

Fixed.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-06-2019, 11:35 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 10:41 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I think we had a great episode of rookie development that has shifted to the sidelines at the perfect time for him to reflect and learn rather than to create bad habits. 

Given Minshew's current level of play - it's likely just a lateral move at worst to start Foles. 
 If Foles stinks it up for 3 games, we may see the type of rookie development you would prefer again.  But it's not like we were going to the playoffs on an offense based on developing a rookie - replete with the accompanying rookie mistakes.

I prefer to continue the development on the field with a soft back half of the season defense wise and hopefully go into 2020 with our sure fire starter. Especially with two weeks to get the offense right , also I think I heard either Boselli or Lags say he had an injury on Sunday but haven't seen it anywhere else.

We aren't going to the playoffs either way imo so letting the rookie continue as he's earned makes more long term sense for me. Although I can also understand the HC view and wanting to know what you have in Foles after trying yourself down for more than one year with a lot of money

How is letting the rookie continue on this season better longterm? It's not better to go into the offseason with only half the information needed to evaluate our QB position. The Jaguars absolutely must know precisely what they have in Foles in order to make an informed decision.
'02

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2019, 04:57 PM by jg77.)

True, but his pay does play a role in this. But you're right this offense was supposedly built for him.

(11-06-2019, 04:50 PM)Rico Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 04:42 PM)jg77 Wrote: Lamar's football IQ is off the charts. He reads the field better than of the QBs taken before him last year. His field vision and ability to read defenses is one of the best things about his play. Not sure why you are trying to project after your initial statement was false since Lamar > Minshew.

We're going to Foles because of his salary he was brought in to be the starter.   Minshew will be fine though. I'm pretty sure he'll be back starting before the end of this year. He's a 2.0 QB with his ability to run as well.

Fixed.

True, but his pay does play a role in this. But you're right this offense was supposedly built for him.

(11-06-2019, 04:52 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 11:35 AM)JackCity Wrote: I prefer to continue the development on the field with a soft back half of the season defense wise and hopefully go into 2020 with our sure fire starter. Especially with two weeks to get the offense right , also I think I heard either Boselli or Lags say he had an injury on Sunday but haven't seen it anywhere else.

We aren't going to the playoffs either way imo so letting the rookie continue as he's earned makes more long term sense for me. Although I can also understand the HC view and wanting to know what you have in Foles after trying yourself down for more than one year with a lot of money

How is letting the rookie continue on this season better longterm? It's not better to go into the offseason with only half the information needed to evaluate our QB position. The Jaguars absolutely must know precisely what they have in Foles in order to make an informed decision.
Wait. So now it's about properly evaluating Foles and not because he gives them a better chance to win?

I’m having nightmares that the team will trade Minshew on the offseason and he will go on to have a great career elsewhere

I like Minshew and think he may be our future but while he exceeded expectations wildly, it's inaccurate to say he was performing anything beyond middle of the pack from an absolute standpoint. Why wouldn't you think Foles would produce more on the field? Minshew may have better upside but Foles will probably be more effective for the remainder of this season and probably next season as well.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(11-06-2019, 04:33 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 03:39 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I'm with you on the "job security" thing.  I think part of it is the "instant gratification" (ie., win every game now) generation of some fans.  We are one game past the halfway point of the season and in no way eliminated from playoff contention.  The head coach's job is to win football games and get the team to the post-season.  You play the players that you (the head coach) think gives the team the best chance to win.

There are a group of fans that have basically "written off" the season because the team is below .500 at this point and not leading the division.  The thing is, there are still 7 games left to play.  Now is not the time to "develop" or "evaluate" a rookie QB.  The team is 4-5 and not out of contention in the least bit.  They just aren't dominant.

As far as any coaching staff or F.O. people being on the "hot seat", I just don't see it at this point.
Good grief. So now it's a generational thing?  No one is asking for instant gratification.  In fact, starting Foles would be the reason for instant gratification rather than taking your lumps with the rookie QB in order to give him a better future. "Win every game now" mantra would mean starting Foles. Not Minshew.

Minshew gives you a chance to win AND AT THE SAME TIME, allows him to develop. If you think Foles is going to come in here and be this HOF upgrade, you may want to think again.

Regarding the part in bold, I would say that some of the people posting that "the season is over" or "the team can't make it to the playoffs" or "if the team makes it to the playoffs they can't win" qualifies as "instant gratification" since the season is barely beyond the halfway point and the Jaguars have not been eliminated from anything yet.  You don't make a player choice based on the perception that "playoffs are hopeless".

Minshew gives you A chance to win but does he give you the BEST chance to win?  Again, the Head Coach's job is to win football games and put the best players out there to win games, not concede a season that is at the halfway point to "develop" or "evaluate" players.

The bottom line is that Coach Marrone is making the choice and selection based on the body of work of both players and selected the better one (in his opinion).

Nobody said anything about Foles being a "HOF upgrade".  What I am saying is that Coach Marrone probably made the correct choice for someone in his position.  As a fan, I wouldn't mind them rolling with Minshew, but as a logical thinker I understand the decision.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(11-06-2019, 05:21 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 04:33 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Good grief. So now it's a generational thing?  No one is asking for instant gratification.  In fact, starting Foles would be the reason for instant gratification rather than taking your lumps with the rookie QB in order to give him a better future. "Win every game now" mantra would mean starting Foles. Not Minshew.

Minshew gives you a chance to win AND AT THE SAME TIME, allows him to develop. If you think Foles is going to come in here and be this HOF upgrade, you may want to think again.

Regarding the part in bold, I would say that some of the people posting that "the season is over" or "the team can't make it to the playoffs" or "if the team makes it to the playoffs they can't win" qualifies as "instant gratification" since the season is barely beyond the halfway point and the Jaguars have not been eliminated from anything yet.  You don't make a player choice based on the perception that "playoffs are hopeless".

Minshew gives you A chance to win but does he give you the BEST chance to win?  Again, the Head Coach's job is to win football games and put the best players out there to win games, not concede a season that is at the halfway point to "develop" or "evaluate" players.

The bottom line is that Coach Marrone is making the choice and selection based on the body of work of both players and selected the better one (in his opinion).

Nobody said anything about Foles being a "HOF upgrade".  What I am saying is that Coach Marrone probably made the correct choice for someone in his position.  As a fan, I wouldn't mind them rolling with Minshew, but as a logical thinker I understand the decision.

I agree with all of that.  ^

(11-06-2019, 06:47 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 05:21 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Regarding the part in bold, I would say that some of the people posting that "the season is over" or "the team can't make it to the playoffs" or "if the team makes it to the playoffs they can't win" qualifies as "instant gratification" since the season is barely beyond the halfway point and the Jaguars have not been eliminated from anything yet.  You don't make a player choice based on the perception that "playoffs are hopeless".

I agree with all of that.  ^
I don’t believe starting Minshew means you are conceding the season. Not my any means.

I think you kill two birds with one stone here. You get Minshew more valuable game experience and at the same time, you give your team a chance to win.

(11-06-2019, 07:01 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 06:47 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I agree with all of that.  ^
I don’t believe starting Minshew means you are conceding the season. Not my any means.

I think you kill two birds with one stone here. You get Minshew more valuable game experience and at the same time, you give your team a chance to win.

He seems like the kinda of player that will grow from observation as well.  I don't think sitting him stunts his growth.  QB isn't our issue for once.  We have holes in the roster and way too much inexperience all working against whoever takes the snaps.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(11-06-2019, 05:21 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 04:33 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Good grief. So now it's a generational thing?  No one is asking for instant gratification.  In fact, starting Foles would be the reason for instant gratification rather than taking your lumps with the rookie QB in order to give him a better future. "Win every game now" mantra would mean starting Foles. Not Minshew.

Well said. Frankly there are good reasons to start Foles, and there are good reasons to start Minshew. I don't know how anyone can see this as one way being 100% correct and the other 100% wrong.

I love Minshew, but I completely understand the reasoning to start Foles and I don't have any problem with it.

(11-06-2019, 07:22 PM)MoJagFan Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 07:01 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I don’t believe starting Minshew means you are conceding the season. Not my any means.

He seems like the kinda of player that will grow from observation as well.  I don't think sitting him stunts his growth.  QB isn't our issue for once.  We have holes in the roster and way too much inexperience all working against whoever takes the snaps.
I don’t know if the move to Foles is the right one but I’m only going off of what I would do in the situation.

Lets hope Foles can do what he did in Philly. Tough task but that’s exactly what they paid him to do.

Problem for Foles is going from a superstar TE to none.

(11-06-2019, 12:05 AM)IndyJagsFan Wrote: I understand it, but not happy about it.
Those poo-pooing Minshew as hitting a wall must have missed his performance against the Jets just two Sundays ago. It was as good a performance as I've ever seen in my 24 years as a Jaguars fan. If Foles can top that game, I'll be shocked.

And some of you guys can choke on this whole draft bias garbage. If we were a Cardinals board and we had taken GM15 with the 1st overall pick and he played like this, no one would be regretting the pick.
I like minshew but dude seriously your comparing minshew against the Jets a 1-7 team...and asking if a Superbowl mvp could top that game?? And to top it off say that the Jets game is "as good as a performance as you have ever seen in 24 years"?? I'm wondering how many games you have actually watched in 24 years....I'm pretty sure Foles can top the Jets game lol... trust me

Joe Flacco was a Superbowl MVP and I wouldn't trust him to do anything.

Foles played well in the Superbowl run but he's not shown high level play across his career. He's a journeyman.

(11-06-2019, 10:14 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Joe Flacco was a Superbowl MVP and I wouldn't trust him to do anything.

Foles played well in the Superbowl run but he's not shown high level play across his career. He's a journeyman.

Maybe not across his career...but has the past few years...Flacco went to the Superbowl ridding the back of the best defense in decades.... totally different

Foles is Mr. November. NO QB plays better during this month.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(11-06-2019, 04:58 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 04:52 PM)Jags02 Wrote: How is letting the rookie continue on this season better longterm? It's not better to go into the offseason with only half the information needed to evaluate our QB position. The Jaguars absolutely must know precisely what they have in Foles in order to make an informed decision.
Wait. So now it's about properly evaluating Foles and not because he gives them a better chance to win?

Actually, it's both, although part of knowing if Foles gives us the better chance to win is letting him play. To that end, given his Playoff and SB experience, Foles is probably the better option should we make the Playoffs. In any event, whether Foles truly does give us the better chance to win or not, it's critical for the team's future to understand what our $88 million man brings to the table.

(11-06-2019, 07:01 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 06:47 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I agree with all of that.  ^

Even if this is the case, we'd be throwing away that $88 mil without even knowing if Foles is worth it.
'02

(11-06-2019, 09:14 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Problem for Foles is going from a superstar TE to none.

Minshew has no chemistry with Oliver, but Foles sure seemed to during the offseason. I can totally see Oliver suddenly breaking out now that Foles is back as the starter.
'02

(11-06-2019, 10:22 PM)nejagsfan Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 10:14 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Joe Flacco was a Superbowl MVP and I wouldn't trust him to do anything.

Maybe not across his career...but has the past few years...Flacco went to the Superbowl ridding the back of the best defense in decades.... totally different

They both threw for 3 TDs in their respective Superbowl. 

Super bowl MVP means nothing going forward and doesn't not override a whole career.

Foles wasn't highly sought after this offseason for a reason. He's a solid QB but not worth a huge contract