Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Clowney vs Bridgewater

(This post was last modified: 10-01-2013, 03:30 PM by BluegrassBrandon.)

Quote:Are people in this thread really trying to imply that an elite defensive end is just as important as a franchise qb?  Really?

Two, it seems. hailtoyourvictor has become less adamant lately.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Are people in this thread really trying to imply that an elite defensive end is just as important as a franchise qb?  Really?

nah, well not most of us.... just one or 2....

I'll say again, one thing about those Elite DE's -- they often change teams after a few years.  Franchise QB's on the other hand rarely move around. 

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

with a very deep qb class you can get a "franchise qb" in the 2nd and an elite DE. 

Quote:with a very deep qb class you can get a "franchise qb" in the 2nd and an elite DE. 

There's no room for common sense here.  You've come to the wrong place.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Nah, I think he'd agree with the decision the GM made.

If we've got the first pick of the draft, I'll be happy with either of the two.  I'd be even more pleased if we were to trade out for a handsome reward (Griffin trade type compensation.)

That's the biggest difference I see here between the opinions.

Yet, to some there's only one "correct" answer of the three scenarios.  That's simply asinine.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:with a very deep qb class you can get a "franchise qb" in the 2nd and an elite DE. 

I'd rather get the -best- QB first and take my chances on finding a DE later. 

Quote:I'd rather get the -best- QB first and take my chances on finding a DE later. 
we've been taking our chances for years now. a DE prospect like clowney comes in once in a decade. theres always the "best" qb in a draft every year. there will be more next year and the year after that.

Quote:If we've got the first pick of the draft, I'll be happy with either of the two.  I'd be even more pleased if we were to trade out for a handsome reward (Griffin trade type compensation.)

Yet, to some there's only one "correct" answer of the three scenarios.  That's simply asinine.

If they draft Clowney, I'll be fine with it.  If they trade back, I'll be fine with it.  But that's mostly because I will trust that they didn't believe Bridgewater was the guy, and that they're far better qualified than I am to decide that.

That's really a different discussion than: If you do believe it's between an elite prospect at DE and an elite prospect at QB, which do you take?  In which case, I don't know how the answer isn't QB.

Quote:There's no room for common sense here. You've come to the wrong place.

What draft eligible QBs do you believe can be had in the 2nd round that will be franchise level?

Quote:If we've got the first pick of the draft, I'll be happy with either of the two.  I'd be even more pleased if we were to trade out for a handsome reward (Griffin trade type compensation.)

Seems to me that you're the one saying there's one 'correct' answer.  Your preference is the DE, my preference is the QB.  Both of us will be fine with whatever happens. 

But because I don't think it's worth the risk to wait for round 2 to get a QB -- apparently I lack common sense

I think that relying on depth for a QB class can be a mistake.  Whatever happens, I want the QB that will turn out the best of the class.  Be that Bridgewater or whoever.  

Wasted effort

Quote:Seems to me that you're the one saying there's one 'correct' answer.  Your preference is the DE, my preference is the QB.  Both of us will be fine with whatever happens. 

But because I don't think it's worth the risk to wait for round 2 to get a QB -- apparently I lack common sense

I think that relying on depth for a QB class can be a mistake.  Whatever happens, I want the QB that will turn out the best of the class.  Be that Bridgewater or whoever.  

exactly....if you can only get the 1 "sure thing" out of the DE and the QB, seems to me the smart thing to do is make sure you get the QB. 

While I'm sure there will be multiple franchise-level QBs in the draft, if you have the opportunity to land the QB you feel has the best chance to succeed, you take it. You don't wait until the second round to select your runner-up. Not at the QB position.

That's irrefutable logic.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

Quote:While I'm sure there will be multiple franchise-level QBs in the draft, if you have the opportunity to land the QB you feel has the best chance to succeed, you take it. You don't wait until the second round to select your runner-up. Not at the QB position.

That's irrefutable logic.

Especially when you don't have one already.

If we had a franchise QB (We don't even have someone of backup caliber at this point) then we could definitely take a shot at a guy in the 2nd.  And if Bridgewater is who we get, I hope before his career is over we take a few guys in the 2nd or 3rd.  But with where this team is at, you want the best shot at success at the position.  You don't want your second choice because there's a once-in-a-generation player available (unless it's at QB)  or maybe even your third choice if your second is taken before then.  or... Fourth... or having to trade up to get your second choice.. 

Quote:I'll say again, one thing about those Elite DE's -- they often change teams after a few years.  Franchise QB's on the other hand rarely move around. 
+1000. 

The main reason why they change team is because their current team either could not afford or chooses not to match their contract demand.  Basically, it would make a lot of sense for a playoff contender to offer an elite DE $100 million contract as they view them as the last piece to the puzzle, whereas, a younger team need to spread that money around.  Take Mario Williams for example.  I'm sure the Texans would love to have him, J.J Watt and Brian Cushing on their defense at the same time, but they can't just give someone $100 million dollar if he isn't a franchise QB.  And I would bet that J.J Watt would leave for another team 3 years from now, long before Seattle would consider trading Russell Wilson.

On the other hand, any team will automatically lock up a franchise QB immediately.  Face it, the Baltimore Ravens would still pay Joe Flacco, even if he didn't win them that SB.  It might not be the crazy amount he's getting now, but it's still be $15 mil+ per year.

For those of you -- actually, only two on this board -- who would rather draft a once in a decade DE prospect over an elite QB prospect, remember that when you make the final decision.  Because once you have enough pieces to make to build a strong defense, that DE prospect might not even be with the team by then.

Quote:There's no room for common sense here.  You've come to the wrong place.

Why settle for the lesser QB unless you think its less important than DE. Theres a reason some QBs last until the second, its because they USUALLY dont pan out.

Quote:Wasted effort

Agreed, it seems like its time to give up on this fight.

sure teddy is the clear cut #1 qb prospect but i think clowney is the better overall prospect atm.

Quote:sure teddy is the clear cut #1 qb prospect but i think clowney is the better overall prospect atm.
You are not the only one.  I would be happy with either but Mel Kiper and Tod McShay also thinks Clowney is number one

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014...-big-board