Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Guys... I want to keep Marrone

Marrone is a very average coach. If you can get someone better then you make the move.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Learn from the great collapse of 2023.  

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-24-2019, 02:19 PM)MojoKing Wrote: Ok ok ok, HEAR me out. 

Like many of you, the day we fired Coughlin I was happy. I WANTED Marrone and Caldwell to be fired next. Even this last Sunday, I was PRO fire Marrone. I was curious when several media outlets said Khan would be wise to keep both, and then I thought some more. 

upon further reflection... I think we need to keep him.  Here is why:

•DALLAS DALLAS DALLAS 

They have sooooo much talent, and yet they can barely win a game this year. Garrett was terrible with talent on O and D allotted to him. 

•RAMS RAMS RAMS 

Again, a talent fiiilllllled roster. Traded their retirement away for an all in plea and LOST. McVay has been good, but not great with a consistently good roster during his tenure. 

•BROWNS BROWNS BROWNS 

Super talented roster, and hired a new HC and just well... very bad... should be ahead of the Steelers. 

JAGUARS JAGUARS JAGUARS
Marrone actually got us some where when we had talent. Guys... our roster these last 10 years has been LACKING depth AND talent 

The ONE year we had an OK roster only On Defense, we get to an AFC Championship, and a bad call away from a SB.  LAST year before injuries demolished our offense, we were 3-1.  Doug got us there with Above average talent. 

Our team has no business being 5-11 with this talent deficient roster and the host of external distractions

Do you remember the preseason??? After our 1s were done, our team was AWFUL.  

Many of you mention that Marrone has a problem developing his players. BUT THATS NOT HIS JOB. He’s the head coach, his staff is supposed to develop players. The fact that Marrone managed to get us to even 5-11(well Minshew), is remarkable! Not to mention with the copious amounts of BS behind the scenes stuff he’s dealt with ALL season. 

I would be ok with getting rid of Wash in favor of a more innovative Coordinator. And who ever the hell our O line coach is. 

I’m 50/50 on Caldwell, he’s done OK but nothing spectacular. 

In summation though. Please think hard before wanting to get a new HC. More often than not, they do not pan out. Our current players are in favor of him. We should give Marrone another opportunity. 

Marrone hired/kept around guys like Wash and Warhop. 

Marrone is the leader of a team with 120+ penalties. 

Marrone is a former O line coach and oversees a team with one of the worst pass protecting lines I’ve ever seen. 

I’m having a hard time justifying keeping him for these reasons.

NYC4jags makes some valid points. Most importantly, if Marrone put in the good word for Wash, and was a major factor in the determination to keep him, his [BLEEP] needs to go. This defense has been atrocious, despite numerous attempts to create the "super" defense over the past several years. Wash's scheme has been figured out ans is busted and he should have been shown the door years ago. The decision not to get rid of him has crippled this franchise, and anyone on this team, ie Marrone, that supported him is devoid of properly being able to assess talent and/or skill.

The only way I would keep Marone is to hire a good OC and DC that could possibly be promoted after Marrone paints us into a corner one too many times with his game decisions. Kahn or his son should have his own list and APPROVE the hire. I don't blame Dave as much as you guys for the talent as there are too many of our younger players doing ok after leaving us. I blame the coachs for not motivating and developing them
A new broom always sweeps clean.

It's not just the complete lack of discipline (penalties, execution) it's also the idiotic game plans.

How many times do we have to hear him apologize for doing things like giving Fournette 19 total rushes over a 2 game span when he was the second leading rusher in the league at the time? How about the AFC championship game where they decided to play ultra conservative in the second half thinking they could sit on a small lead for two quarters against Tom Brady?

I'm tired of him apologizing after games for not making obvious adjustments during the course of the game or waiting until the game is completely out of hand.

A guy who can't control his players or manage his coordinators is not a head coach material.

(12-25-2019, 11:22 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Marrone hired/kept around guys like Wash and Warhop. 

Marrone is a former O line coach and oversees a team with one of the worst pass protecting lines I’ve ever seen. 

Keeping him here as HC simply means more of the same. Why is this even being talked about?
Time to move on .
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(12-25-2019, 06:20 PM)Mowerguy Wrote:
(12-25-2019, 11:22 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Marrone hired/kept around guys like Wash and Warhop. 

Keeping him here as HC simply means more of the same. Why is this even being talked about?
Time to move on .

This.

We are jaguars so we will keep bad coaches and sign them to extensions. We will extend the wrong players and chase bad decisions with worse decisions. 

So we will keep this crap show until the contracts expire. That is the Jaguars way.  Welcome to Duval prepare to be underwhelmed.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(This post was last modified: 12-25-2019, 10:01 PM by mikesez.)

I feel like Marrone must be in some kind of personal funk. The o-line performance, and gap discipline, and gameplans have never been worse in his years here. I'm sure sharing an organization with Coughlin took a toll and that's part of the reason. But Marrone has done better and will do better again. Just shouldn't be here.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(12-25-2019, 08:53 PM)mikesez Wrote: I feel like Marrone must be in some kind of personal funk.  The o-line performance, and gap discipline, and gameplans have never been worse in his years here. I'm sure sharing an organization with Coughlin took a toll and that's part of the reason. But Marrone has done better and will do better again.  Just shouldn't be here.

Likely his last head coach job in the NFL. I don't doubt he's trying hard as hell to fix the issues, he's just not capable of it and that's the definition of a bad head coach.

No. No more Marrone.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Not going to reiterate a lot of the arguments previously raised.

You cannot give Doug any acclaim for 2017 without also mentioning that he led the team into that conservative prevent offense against the Pats that likely COST us the SB. We were moving. We had the home team on their heels. We took the foot off the gas, lest we risk a mistake. That killed any confidence the team had in their QB, their coaches, or even, to a point, their defense.

We got VERY lucky in 2017. Heck, you could even argue that if we don't force the Peterman into action in the Bills game, we might have lost that one, too. Before Myles Jack was called down incorrectly, how often did we have turnovers or calls go our way that season? None of that was because Doug was coaching out of his mind. It was an anomaly.

You want to look at teams like the Cowboys, and guys like Garrett who tend toward stagnation and risk aversion, you're going to end up 8-8 at best for the foreseeable future. That's what Doug brings to the table. You can bring in all the talent in the world, but they are not going to develop into anything better, and they will be misused and systematically worn down to the point of expecting to fail.

We have to break that cycle. JDR was a good coach and even experienced some success, too. But at some point, the words stopped reaching the audience, or the same words were being said. Change was necessary then, and I believe it is again.

(This post was last modified: 12-26-2019, 12:41 PM by iHaunting Raven.)

I can't believe there is still someone... "blind" enough to create a topic like this....

(12-26-2019, 10:28 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: I can't believe the is still someone... "blind" enough to create a topic like this....

Blame all the reports out there and the owner.  It is possible no matter what we are stuck on the Bologna train through the remainder of the contract.  All speculation at this point.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

no thanks
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

OP is not a smart guy.

Thank the Lord that Marrone is gone after tomorrow. The way this team has lacked any and all discipline, making the same mistakes over and over, and the complete lack of preparedness for our opponent each week shows that Marrone has to go.

(12-28-2019, 01:47 PM)Legal American Wrote: Thank the Lord that Marrone is gone after tomorrow.  The way this team has lacked any and all discipline, making the same mistakes over and over, and the complete lack of preparedness for our opponent each week shows that Marrone has to go.

Belated Christmas present to all of us! (Well most of us)

Garbage thread is garbage.
A True Fan ladies and gentlemen:
(11-12-2018, 07:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Ramsey for Grier straight up

(12-28-2019, 04:31 PM)Setsuna00 Wrote: Garbage thread is garbage.

Welp

Guys I’m sorry you didn’t get what you wanted. But, I think this is the best move we could’ve made. I wouldn’t of mind either way but I’m confident this isn’t actually a team that’s about to do a major rebuild.

Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel. It was just a freight train coming your way.

Cheers. [Image: bef07a4adf40bdb832ab96991ac75c14.jpg]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."