Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Marrone - Has plan to pitch to Khan(s)

Marrone kind of slid a little nugget into his press conference, as he was dismissing this week's rumors.  Paraphrasing it was something like "The Khans and I have been talking the last few weeks and we have a plan. We'll see if they stick with the plan".

That tells me that the plan was either to keep him as coach (probably with staff changes).

or ....

He gets kicked upstairs into a advisory role.  I suspect it would be like TC's role but more advisory in nature and not "final authoority"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-29-2019, 09:30 PM)newporttom Wrote: Marrone kind of slid a little nugget into his press conference, as he was dismissing this week's rumors.  Paraphrasing it was something like "The Khans and I have been talking the last few weeks and we have a plan. We'll see if they stick with the plan".

That tells me that the plan was either to keep him as coach (probably with staff changes).

or ....

He gets kicked upstairs into a advisory role.  I suspect it would be like TC's role but more advisory in nature and not "final authoority"

It was more like HE has a plan amd he will lay it out for them in the infamous meeting this week and then the Khans would go over it and decide if its do-able and if its going the direction they want the franchise to be going and then make a decision about Marrones job. He said in the press conference that if his ideas on how to fix the team and the direction the Khans want to be heading are not inline then hes not the right man for the job

I listened again and your interpretation is probably more correct than what I heard originally.

(12-30-2019, 01:48 AM)newporttom Wrote: I listened again and your interpretation is probably more correct than what I heard originally.

I remeber that Marrone also said they have been communicating for weeks about how to fix this team so Im assuming they told him to outline his plan and then hand it in for review... Or I suppose they could say thank you and fire him later that day after throwing his report in the trash can without evem reading it

I have a hunch that the reason for the delay in a decision is to give Khan time to see what his options on the open market are. Marrone and Caldwell are both good enough to give a post-Coughlin shot to, but not so good as to be untouchable. If Khan finds guys out there that he likes more than the prospect of giving those two another chance, bye. If he doesn't, they both get a one-year stay of execution to see what they can do.

You could make the argument (and I'd say successfully) that if you don't think those are your guys moving forward, you dump them immediately to give the new GM the full benefit of the Ramsey picks.

My job is entirely based upon data analysis and I totally get his approach, and if he has specific examples to take to Shad of where his method would have resulted in a different move with notably better results, then he's earned a bigger role. Maybe not GM, but certainly a position where his work is given far more credit than it was under Coughlin. It's all about results, and if you can prove that your work would have led to better results, then you should be put into a position where your work carries more weight.

I think Khan knows what he's doing. I also think he knows where he wants the team to be in five years, in more than one sense of the word.

What I'd be curious about is how much Dave/Doug are in coordination/competition on this. Are they in this together and pitching to Shad that Coughlin tied their hands with draft choices/contracts/coaches? Because it seems like a 'normal' instinct is for HC to say GM didn't give me the players, and for GM to say roster is good, coaching was bad.

Love to be a fly on the wall.

(12-30-2019, 03:18 PM)newporttom Wrote: What I'd be curious about is how much Dave/Doug are in coordination/competition on this.   Are they in this together and pitching to Shad that Coughlin tied their hands with draft choices/contracts/coaches?  Because it seems like a 'normal' instinct is for HC to say GM didn't give me the players, and for GM to say roster is good, coaching was bad.

It's hard to say but my best guess is that it's pretty much an "every man for himself" kind of thing.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(12-30-2019, 01:32 PM)TJBender Wrote: I have a hunch that the reason for the delay in a decision is to give Khan time to see what his options on the open market are. 

I mean most of the top choices from other teams aren't available until their playoff games finished or bowl games for college teams.
So the only reason to rush to it would be to appease fans. And we already know he doesn't do anything like that lol

Unless he was worried about missing out on Rivera or McCarthy (who probably sign with Washington and Carolina/Cleveland respectively) there is no reason to rush to firing Doug on Black Monday

(12-30-2019, 03:41 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(12-30-2019, 03:18 PM)newporttom Wrote: What I'd be curious about is how much Dave/Doug are in coordination/competition on this.   Are they in this together and pitching to Shad that Coughlin tied their hands with draft choices/contracts/coaches?  Because it seems like a 'normal' instinct is for HC to say GM didn't give me the players, and for GM to say roster is good, coaching was bad.

It's hard to say but my best guess is that it's pretty much an "every man for himself" kind of thing.

It would be interesting to see if they both individually went in, without knowing each other's plans, and both claimed to be severely handcuffed by TC in their respective roles.

Part of the stuff Marrone has talked about (in my opinion) is he wants the FO to be way more prominent and not leave him out to dry.

I know Tom isn't here anymore but Dave was essentially anonymous for the entire era here. I think Doug would like more support in that regard if he's to stay.

Also I think he wants assurances he gets more of a say in everything.

Lots of valid points here. I would add that sometimes, when I have a project and get multiple contractors to give me an estimate, I learn a lot. Sort of like if you have multiple roofers give you a bid on a new roof, you learn a lot about roofing. In that way, even if they wind up firing Marrone, they would benefit from having him flesh out a plan to make the team better.

My stance is still that Dave and Doug have failed, have had enough chances, and there's no reason to keep going with them. On the other hand, Doug has not lost the locker room, the players still want to play for him, so that is in his favor. If they do decide to retain Dave and Doug, I would really like to know why. What is the reason these guys failed, why wouldn't they continue to fail, and what is a logical plan going forward? Right now, there is so much backlash in this town to the idea of keeping these guys, Khan would have to have a really good reason for keeping them, and he needs to somehow assure/convince the fans that things will get better.

Makes me wonder if Khan believes there’s still magic left over from 2017 and he simply needs to hear a plan to tap back into it.
I believe it will be the Dave and Doug show again with a new cast of supporting characters.

When is this meeting supposed to take place? I need to know when I need to start relentlessly refreshing the forums to learn his fate.

(12-31-2019, 10:06 AM)Jags Wrote: When is this meeting supposed to take place?   I need to know when I need to start relentlessly refreshing the forums to learn his fate.

Probably soon if not already started

This better be a damn good plan....how do you look at the defense as it stands and just say "We can fix this." without blinking an eye?

That's not even to begin with the Oline, for that matter...

I really hope part of Marrone's pitch included firing Wash and Warhop.

Ron Rivera bringing in JDR as DC. Wish we could have done that.

(12-31-2019, 12:06 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I really hope part of Marrone's pitch included firing Wash and Warhop.

The statement made it sound like changes to the coaching staff aren't coming, but one can hope.

(12-31-2019, 02:53 AM)JackCity Wrote: Part of the stuff Marrone has talked about (in my opinion) is he wants the FO to be way more prominent and not leave him out to dry.

I know Tom isn't here anymore but Dave was essentially anonymous for the entire era here. I think Doug would like more support in that regard if he's to stay.

Also I think he wants assurances he gets more of a say in everything.

And there you go. He gets more of a say in everything compared to a lot of coaches as he now reports directly to Shad. Only maybe 3 or 4 coaches report to the owner directly