Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags post sharpest drop in NFL attendance

Wait...we have pools!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I guess just two more years of this and they’ll be eligible for London? Or let’s just throw out London, elibible to relocate in general.

Call me crazy but that’s all I can think of after they legitimately held on to Marrone.

(01-04-2020, 12:39 AM)jrvegeeta Wrote: NYC4jags is the last fan I would be calling out for being a fair-weather fan. If anything, he's usually the voice of reason in a lot of threads.

That said, I absolutely agree with one thing - this fanbase's tendency to threaten not to support the team if they don't get exactly what they want makes our fanbase the laughing stock of the league.

Browns fans don't do this.
Redskins fans don't do this.
Jets fans don't do this.
Even Bengals fans don't do this.

We are literally the only fanbase that pulls this crap on a massive scale and it needs to stop - or we will wake up one day without a team should Khan sell it to someone who has been itching to move this team out of here...... and make absolutely NO mistake - if that happens, I won't entirely blame the owner or the team - I will place most of the blame on this city and a majority of our fans for losing it.

What are you talking about?

Washington had more unsold seats this year than Jacksonville and their metro area is 3 times as large.

Cincinnati was only ahead of the non stadium having LAC in attendance this year. We beat them by 12,000 people a game.

So definitely those fan bases do this too and do it even worse than us.

(01-03-2020, 09:54 PM)nejagsfan Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 09:27 PM)JagJohn Wrote: I mean... There's nothing surprising about it. One of the best seasons in franchise history followed by two absolute disasters... Of course attendance dropped massively.

Sorry not a good excuse.... Jacksonville fans and the City is notorious for this crap over the decades....you wonder why the rest league and fan bases don't take Jacksonville seriously... there's plenty of teams that stick by their teams and attend no matter what.... hence the browns you NEVER hear about the fan base not showing up...I could name more but you get the point....

What else are they going to do in stinking Cleveland in winter time?  People in Florida have options AND are accustomed to winners.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(This post was last modified: 01-04-2020, 08:38 AM by Caldrac.)

28th in fan attendance - 2019
17th in fan attendance - 2018
21st in fan attendance - 2017
26th in fan attendance - 2016

Winning pretty much cures all in a small market city. We're no worse than the rest of the basement dwellers of the NFL in attendance.

We're maybe one of the bottom 6 - 8 teams in market size. So if you factor that into the equation.

This city's fans have done a decent job consistently showing up for one of the NFL's most extremely inconsistent products for awhile now.

This isn't the early 2000's where tickets were being handed out at Winn Dixie. I personally can't wait for the NFL to fail in Los Angeles again and Las Vegas in due time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 01-04-2020, 08:46 AM by homebiscuit.)

As I mentioned in another thread, Florida teams historically struggle because so many of its residents are from somewhere else and carry stronger allegiances for other teams. Or, they root for a Florida team but revert to strong fandom of a second team when the Florida team struggles. As Florida’s interstate migration population continues to swell, it becomes a larger factor.
The secret is to establish a long run of success in order to build an identity, or “brand” in contemporary parlance, to hold and convert these migrants. The Dolphins capitalized for many years on their 70s and 80s success (hello Dan Marino) and could still revitalize it with another run. Of course Jacksonville doesn’t have the tourism and history of Miami to help establish that brand, but consistent winning can alleviate that.

Personally, I would like our identity to be something of the Pittsburgh Steelers of the South; loyal likable blue collar fans wearing flip flops instead of hard hats. Not the [BLEEP] holes of Philadelphia.

(01-04-2020, 08:15 AM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 09:54 PM)nejagsfan Wrote: Sorry not a good excuse.... Jacksonville fans and the City is notorious for this crap over the decades....you wonder why the rest league and fan bases don't take Jacksonville seriously... there's plenty of teams that stick by their teams and attend no matter what.... hence the browns you NEVER hear about the fan base not showing up...I could name more but you get the point....

What else are they going to do in stinking Cleveland in winter time?  People in Florida have options AND are accustomed to winners.
We also have the 3rd largest military presence in the country.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 01-04-2020, 08:45 AM by Caldrac.)

(01-04-2020, 08:37 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: As I mentioned in another thread, Florida teams historically struggle because so many of its residents are from somewhere else and carry stronger allegiances for other teams. Or, they root for a Florida team but revert to strong fandom of a second team when the Florida team struggles. As Florida’s interstate migration population continues to swell, it becomes a larger factor.
The secret is to establish a long run of success in order to build an identity, or “brand” in contemporary parlance, to hold and convert these migrants. The Dolphins capitalized for many years on their 70s and 80s success (hello Dan Marino) and could still revitalize it with another run. Of course Jacksonville doesn’t have the tourism and history of Miami to help establish that brand, but consistent winning can alleviate that.
Working for the railroad and being around a few old heads out there when I was younger.

This is a fact. Dan Marino was a football God to virtually the entire state of Florida. We have a connection to Miami. Literally.

My dad has been here since the late 1970s. They were a transplant family, military brats out of Kansas, Missouri.

My dad was born a stone's throw from Arrowhead Stadium and could hear them cheering from his home as a boy before they moved to Virginia.

He was a Steelers fan all the way up until 1995. His dad and one of my aunt's was a Redskins fan. Most of my mom's family were Dolphins fans.

It'll take another deep rooted generation here. A younger generation to keep the team up in the decades to come. I think as our city grows. We'll grab more fans in the area.

I think the attendance stuff is over blown for the most part.

(01-04-2020, 08:45 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-04-2020, 08:37 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: As I mentioned in another thread, Florida teams historically struggle because so many of its residents are from somewhere else and carry stronger allegiances for other teams. Or, they root for a Florida team but revert to strong fandom of a second team when the Florida team struggles. As Florida’s interstate migration population continues to swell, it becomes a larger factor.
Working for the railroad and being around a few old heads out there when I was younger.

This is a fact. Dan Marino was a football God to virtually the entire state of Florida. We have a connection to Miami. Literally.

My dad has been here since the late 1970s. They were a transplant family, military brats out of Kansas, Missouri.

My dad was born a stone's throw from Arrowhead Stadium and could hear them cheering from his home as a boy before they moved to Virginia.

He was a Steelers fan all the way up until 1995. His dad and one of my aunt's was a Redskins fan. Most of my mom's family were Dolphins fans.

It'll take another deep rooted generation here. A younger generation to keep the team up in the decades to come. I think as our city grows. We'll grab more fans in the area.

Winning a few games wouldn't hurt the cause, either. It's tough to form a fan base when they feel like they just got kicked in the nuts after every game, and doubly so when the team owner comes out and says you're getting more of the same after years of futility.

(01-04-2020, 08:50 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(01-04-2020, 08:45 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Working for the railroad and being around a few old heads out there when I was younger.

Winning a few games wouldn't hurt the cause, either. It's tough to form a fan base when they feel like they just got kicked in the nuts after every game, and doubly so when the team owner comes out and says you're getting more of the same after years of futility.
7 out of the last 8 years has netted double digit losses. Ownership has decided to spare the common denominator of those results for a 3rd time.

He's lucky they're not 32nd in attendance. Especially in this city where you're lucky to pull from 2M people within the area in a military town.

But of course the attendance dropped. A bad day of fishing is much, much better than attending that [BLEEP] show they put on display this year.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

This team will have to look damn good during the draft and free agency on paper and show major, major signs of life and improvement during pre season contests to drum up support.

Ehh I’m not worried too much. I live on St. Simons Island (about an hour north of JAX) I’ve noticed the city seems to be resurging in the last 5 or so years.. those of us that live nearby like me need to try to make games, at least once a year. This year I was unable to due to work and money issues, but I usually go to about 2 or 3 games per season. If we start winning a few games we’ll finish about 20th or so in attendance next season.

(01-04-2020, 08:54 AM)copycat Wrote: But of course the attendance dropped.  A bad day of fishing is much, much better than attending that [BLEEP] show they put on display this year.

This kind of attitude is exactly my point... And fan after fan after fan says this....why don't you guys just tell the team to leave you obviously don't respect it enough to keep it in your city....

(This post was last modified: 01-04-2020, 09:08 AM by Caldrac.)

(01-04-2020, 08:59 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Ehh I’m not worried too much. I live on St. Simons Island (about an hour north of JAX) I’ve noticed the city seems to be resurging in the last 5 or so years.. those of us that live nearby like me need to try to make games, at least once a year. This year I was unable to due to work and money issues, but I usually go to about 2 or 3 games per season. If we start winning a few games we’ll finish about 20th or so in attendance next season.
Pretty much in the same boat. My hours are extremely sporadic and I am guaranteed of having to work on a handful of Saturday's and Sunday's.

I at least make an effort to attend a minimum of 2 games a year in spite of all of that. And knowing we'll more than likely get our [BLEEP] handed to us.

(01-04-2020, 09:03 AM)nejagsfan Wrote:
(01-04-2020, 08:54 AM)copycat Wrote: But of course the attendance dropped.  A bad day of fishing is much, much better than attending that [BLEEP] show they put on display this year.

This kind of attitude is exactly my point... And fan after fan after fan says this....why don't you guys just tell the team to leave you obviously don't respect it enough to keep it in your city....
You could make this same comment for probably 70% of the NFL. Quit being one of those "The sky is falling. Doomval is neigh" types.

Unless you live in New England or New York you really do depend on win's and losses to keep your attendance in check.

When and if the time comes. People will show up and further pay for this visual abuse they've already kept intact since the ending of 1999's season.

Been seeing these fans slug it out for two decades now. . .

I do recall in the past if I'm not mistaken Jags having a hard time selling out playoff games.... So don't give me that it's been a problem with losing crap.... All I hear from other fan bases "from being an out-of-state Jags fan" is the fact that our fan base and our team can't sell out games.... Making fun of us for tarping seats... Having to have dog parks and swimming pools to get people to come support the team.... And we talk about other teams like Washington..Cleveland attendance we're talkin historically.... Not just this year or last.... The jags historically have had an attendance problem.... And you can not deny that... Even when we were doing fairly well back in the day with a winning record we had attendance problems

(This post was last modified: 01-04-2020, 09:11 AM by The Real Marty.)

I saw a lot of empty stadiums late in the season, not just here.  Tampa was empty and so was Atlanta.  I even saw a lot of empty seats in the upper deck in a late season game in New England.

(01-04-2020, 09:08 AM)nejagsfan Wrote: I do recall in the past if I'm not mistaken Jags having a hard time selling out playoff games.... So don't give me that it's been a problem with losing crap.... All I hear from other fan bases "from being an out-of-state Jags fan" is the fact that our fan base and our team can't sell out games.... Making fun of us for tarping seats... Having to have dog parks and swimming pools to get people to come support the team.... And we talk about other teams like Washington..Cleveland attendance we're talkin historically.... Not just this year or last.... The jags historically have had an attendance problem.... And you can not deny that... Even when we were doing fairly well back in the day with a winning record we had attendance problems
You're clueless. Can't help you. Unless you've lived here I can't expect you to understand.

And I am not going to rehash everything that I have already laid out in this thread for you.

But you're over thinking this.

(This post was last modified: 01-04-2020, 09:18 AM by homebiscuit.)

If the announcement is made early that Minshew will be the starting QB and the team will be built around him in the draft and FA, we might see a resurgence in attendance numbers. I know it would pique my interest.

(01-04-2020, 09:10 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I saw a lot of empty stadiums late in the season, not just here.  Tampa was empty and so was Atlanta.  I even saw a lot of empty seats in the upper deck in a late season game in New England.

The NFL has over-saturated the market. Football 3 nights a week is too much, especially during college football season. Thursday night football went from never, to half a season, to now a full season.

(01-04-2020, 09:14 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-04-2020, 09:08 AM)nejagsfan Wrote: I do recall in the past if I'm not mistaken Jags having a hard time selling out playoff games.... So don't give me that it's been a problem with losing crap.... All I hear from other fan bases "from being an out-of-state Jags fan" is the fact that our fan base and our team can't sell out games.... Making fun of us for tarping seats... Having to have dog parks and swimming pools to get people to come support the team.... And we talk about other teams like Washington..Cleveland attendance we're talkin historically.... Not just this year or last.... The jags  historically have had an attendance problem.... And you can not deny that... Even when we were doing fairly well back in the day with a winning record we had attendance problems
You're clueless. Can't help you. Unless you've lived here I can't expect you to understand.

And I am not going to rehash everything that I have already laid out in this thread for you.

But you're over thinking this.

How am I clueless.... How is Jacksonville different from any small-market team that hasn't performed well.... And when I'm talking about teams in attendance I'm talking about historically.... Sure every team has suffered from attendance problems from time to time.... But Jacksonville seems to have this problem more often than not..... And we have had a problem even selling out a home playoff game... So not having a winning record isn't the only reason..... And when I mention Cleveland it's because I was born and raised in Cleveland.... I was raised a browns fan... So I know all about a team historically looking bad... yet still has a huge fan base and followers that go every weekend and sell the stadium out.... I became a Jags fan back in 95/96 when they sold the browns to Baltimore... And I stuck with Jacksonville ever since.... My family on the other hand stop watching football until the browns came back in the late 90s