Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jacksonville losing 2 home games in 2020 to London

(02-04-2020, 08:06 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(02-04-2020, 07:50 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: It's a good deal for Jags fans. 25% less home games and 15% price reduction.

Oh, wait - another screw job by the Jags organization. 

At least tickets will be cheap on stub hub and easy in/out of the stadium.

they are going from 9 home games in total to 8 home games.  That's not 25%

also, the 15% price reduction is specific to 50% off of 2 preseason games + 5% off of the 6 regular season games.

Thus, if you paid $100 per ticket last year you will now be paying (($50*2) + ($95*6)) = $670 versus $800 for an equivalent 8 games at the regular price.

Huh?  There are 8 regular season home games and 2 are going to London.  That's 25% fewer home games in Jacksonville.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

[Image: EP-jmwdWkAALlO_.png]

I'm trying to see the bright side- I have to pay for 6 games now, not 8 and the pre-season games are 50% off.

But here's the reality:
- we will get the two uninteresting pre-season home games on hot, miserable August nights
- then we will get 2 unenjoyable home games in the heat of September and early October
- our team will then disappear for most of the football season
- we will then get our last 2 games in December when the team is 3-10 and has mailed it in

Now that's something to look forward to...looks like my name is finally coming off that wall.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

No matter how successful we become or what happens in the near future, Shad has ruined his reputation with Jags fans. I’m curious what he’ll be willing to do when he sees fans openly rooting against him at the few remaining home games we have.

(This post was last modified: 02-05-2020, 01:10 AM by NewJagsCity.)

A lesson to any franchise owned by anyone who chooses not to develop local roots (i.e., residency) in the city/territory that his product serves.  Much easier to just pack up and go when its only about the dollar. Maybe i've got a short memory, but i dont recall all these theories about relocation existing with the Weavers.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

If I lived in Jacksonville, I'd be angry, too. On the other hand, my distance from the situation affords me a more dispassionate observation. Watching the interview with Shad, I thought he was being genuine. He has been saying the same thing for years. He has been investing hundreds of millions of his own money in Jacksonville for years. He says he wants to be a catalyst for economic growth in Jacksonville. I choose to believe him until the moving trucks pull up in front of the Bank.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(This post was last modified: 02-05-2020, 07:28 AM by Andy G.)

(02-04-2020, 08:01 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: So been doing some reading and thinking. 

The London games or International series link with London has some contracts ending this year. Our contract to play at Wembley stadium finishes this year. The leagues contract with Wembley stadium ends this year but they signed a 10 year contract with soccer team Tottenham in 2015 to host 2 games a year. The league also agreed to host games in more international locations.

I believe London will host 4 games next season. We have 2 of them now and I think theyve already said Miami and Atlanta will play home games. So London will be 2 of the following teams

Colts, Texans, T*tans, Browns, Miami, Detroit

So I dont think Miami will play twice so I'm guessing a division game and the Browns. 

So with our London contract ending and Wembley stadiums contract ending this year, I think the NFL are trying us with 2 games out of 4 to see if the demand is there for Jags games or just NFL games. What Khan decides here will be the big indicator of what he ACTUALLY wants to do with the team. He has to make a decision regarding London this year.

I'm not sure what playing a second "home" game in London can prove. It will sell out regardless. All the London games have.

But I suppose it could reinforce the NFL's belief that one team could eventually play a complete season there. They'll probably want to increase the number of games from four too.

Whatever, I think Khan has to make a move to tie up another Wembley deal soon, because other teams will be circling and I don't think he can rely on a gentleman's agreement giving him "first dibs" any more.

It's possible he could switch the games to Tottenham post-2020, but given the choice, I'm sure he'd prefer to have the games played at Wembley - purely because it has a bigger capacity.

(02-05-2020, 07:18 AM)I am Yoda Wrote: If I lived in Jacksonville, I'd be angry, too.  On the other hand, my distance from the situation affords me a more dispassionate observation.  Watching the interview with Shad, I thought he was being genuine.  He has been saying the same thing for years.  He has been investing hundreds of millions of his own money in Jacksonville for years.  He says he wants to be a catalyst for economic growth in Jacksonville.  I choose to believe him until the moving trucks pull up in front of the Bank.

This is my thinking, as well. London games are a significant revenue source and he wants to use an opportunity to exploit it. Would one home and one away game be more preferable? Absolutely. But then I’m not privy, or too lazy to research, whether the scheduling scheme offered that option.

Shad Khan has done a lot for this team and this city. I simply don’t see it in his actions, or what I’ve seen of his character, to erode the fan base in piecemeal fashion to facilitate an eventual move. He deserves the benefit of the doubt. I think he’s earned it.

Question that just popped into my head.

Given Lot J is going to be between a construction site next season as opposed to a parking lot or a development making money, how much is that likely to cost the team in revenue?

(This post was last modified: 02-05-2020, 08:28 AM by Jagwired.)

(02-04-2020, 11:11 PM)Eric1 Wrote: [Image: EP-jmwdWkAALlO_.png]

LOL. Laughing at BCB thinking they hold some kind of bargaining chip. A couple of thousand, if that, craft beer guzzlers. Comical.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

This article is almost three years old, but it provides some interesting numbers.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/briangoff/2...55f86968f8

Read the last sentence. We made more than Cincinnati?

(02-04-2020, 12:40 PM)rocdee Wrote: I told you this man is gearing up to move the team in a few years. The bottom line is the bottom line.

Kept Marrone and Caldwell so he knows attendance will dip.
Announces 2 lost home games. Tickets will not be renewed.

All part of his plan.

Take back your Sundays, gents

I have thought this for years now too. There are basically no major penalties for moving left except that 100 million clause. Which is tiny compared to the value of the team. 

Actually I have to give Khan credit, the way he is doing it is smart. By moving games over slowly he sees how much the London market can handle. I wonder how long before he has to start paying huge London taxes tho. 

I think that the jags will always have some presence in Jacksonville for logistic purposes like working out draft picks etc. But I could easily see most of the games going to London if they will support it.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(02-04-2020, 01:16 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: I don't think 3 will be the next increment. I think the next announcement will be a 4/4 split, and it will remain that way for a decent period of time.

Not to be morbid, but ultimately, this will be Tony's decision at the end of the day.

Agree with this completely I could see a 4/4 split lasting a long time.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(02-04-2020, 02:19 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(02-04-2020, 02:08 PM)Caldrac Wrote: This team is 38 - 90 so far under Khan's ownership. The one winning season he was able to give this city in 2017 he was rewarded with the fans showing up in 2018 to the tune of finishing 14th in capacity. 

He's a dirt bag. As someone already cited. Death by a 1,000,000 paper cuts Vs. just getting it over with already. He's cowardly. If he moves this team. The NFL can [BLEEP] itself. I'll never watch another game nor support anything NFL related.

He's not a dirt bag, he's just a very good businessman who knows how to play the long game. Even after this, there will still be plenty of fans who buy the [BLEEP] soup he's cooking. But there will be plenty more that don't, and when the team comes calling for a new stadium within the next few years, the city will say, "Why should we build you a stadium when you play 25% of your home games in another country?". To which Khan will say, "I can't recoup my investments in downtown without a new stadium." And then one thing leads to another and Khan moves the team to London. Press F to pay respects.

Agree, I am not mad at Khan, he is just doing what many Billionaires do: try and make more money. I told myself when the team was sold by the Weavers with only a 5 year clause that the end was near if we didn’t get a new stadium/renovation. I distinctly remember Vic talking about that being the reason for teams moving in the past. But that’s not reality anymore. Teams move to increase their value now. The rams did it, the chargers tried and failed, and the jaguars look to be next.

(02-05-2020, 09:20 AM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote:
(02-04-2020, 02:19 PM)TJBender Wrote: He's not a dirt bag, he's just a very good businessman who knows how to play the long game. Even after this, there will still be plenty of fans who buy the [BLEEP] soup he's cooking. But there will be plenty more that don't, and when the team comes calling for a new stadium within the next few years, the city will say, "Why should we build you a stadium when you play 25% of your home games in another country?". To which Khan will say, "I can't recoup my investments in downtown without a new stadium." And then one thing leads to another and Khan moves the team to London. Press F to pay respects.

Agree, I am not mad at Khan, he is just doing what many Billionaires do: try and make more money. I told myself when the team was sold by the Weavers with only a 5 year clause that the end was near if we didn’t get a new stadium/renovation. I distinctly remember Vic talking about that being the reason for teams moving in the past. But that’s not reality anymore. Teams move to increase their value now. The rams did it, the chargers tried and failed, and the jaguars look to be next.

He is a scum bag owner. Not all owners are about $$$. Pure greed. Games in London do nothing for Jacksonville but hurt the owners and workers at the stadium.

(02-05-2020, 01:07 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: A lesson to any franchise owned by anyone who chooses not to develop local roots (i.e., residency) in the city/territory that his product serves.  Much easier to just pack up and go when its only about the dollar.  Maybe i've got a short memory, but i dont recall all these theories about relocation existing with the Weavers.

LA was a dominant topic of conversation from about 2005 until Weaver sold the team.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you people do realize Lot J is never happening, right? At least not in our, or our kids lifetime.

(This post was last modified: 02-05-2020, 09:55 AM by StroudCrowd1.)

(02-05-2020, 01:07 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: A lesson to any franchise owned by anyone who chooses not to develop local roots (i.e., residency) in the city/territory that his product serves.  Much easier to just pack up and go when its only about the dollar.  Maybe i've got a short memory, but i dont recall all these theories about relocation existing with the Weavers.

The theories about moving to LA were rampant for a decade though. We gave Weaver a pass because he seemed loyal, so we accepted a God-awful team in exchange for simply having a team. With Shad, we still have a God-awful team with an unloyal owner. We call that the double whammy bammy damny in the bidness!

Haven't been an STH for a while, so don't really have a dog in the fight, but I feel this needs to be said.

Which teams aren't clouded by the spectre of relocation? The teams that manage to sell their tickets. For ages we've fought blackouts, tarps, crows, and everything else while still saying this is Jacksonville's team and it belongs here. Heck, when the franchise was awarded, part of the selling point was this was the only major sport in town, and wouldn't have to compete for spectator dollars.

So Shad announces another game being relocated, where tickets sell as soon as they are available, and how does the fanbase react? "EAT A BUTT CONN I WON'T GO TO ANY GAMES CONN" If that's the reaction, you've made the complete relocation inevitable. This IS a call to act. If tickets are cheaper, albeit for fewer games, the city should be rallying, shouting that the time is now to get in, be a part, and tell Khan that the fans do in fact care, and won't stand idly by while the team gradually drifts away. How the fanbase responds is so very, very instrumental in the next move.

I wish I had disposable funds to even buy a seat or two for the season, and donate it to a good cause. I grew up in Cleveland, and have endured the loss of the team I loved once already. This doesn't have the same stink on it, I promise. That was an owner holding a city ransom, and the city refuses to bend to his will. The fans and the city still loved their team, and supported them. The one similarity is that there was an adversarial relationship between owner and city/fanbase. That vitriol still remains to this day.

I hope with all hope that this is not the beginning of an end. I hope that fans with the means to do so continue to buy their tickets, and continue to make Jacksonville the home of the Jaguars. I want to see a sea of teal in the stadium for years to come. One day, I'd love to introduce my kids to the greatest feeling in the world, when you walk through the concourse, into the bowl of seats, looking down upon the field, and realize that this is home, the place that brings us joy, and where we'll be for as long as we can imagine.