Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jacksonville losing 2 home games in 2020 to London

(This post was last modified: 02-05-2020, 12:57 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(02-05-2020, 12:17 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 12:13 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: you can still attend all of the Jaguars home games.   Norwegian Airlines has a direct flight on their new 787 Dreamliner from Orlando to London for $400.  I just flew that route and must admit, it was quite nice.

Stock market paying dividends! Literally.

No doubt.  I got an "excessive trading" warning from Fidelity.  The good news here is I haven't gotten a Jags Message Board warning or been banned for quite a while.

Someone actually called into 1010xl yesterday stating the 2-game plan was a bad idea because of all of the things going on over there (London) with Brexit.   Say what???

[quote pid='1283034' dateline='1580920268']
(02-04-2020, 09:27 PM)Eric1 Wrote: I'm glad I don't live in Florida and have season tickets cause I'd be really pissed. Especially since it's cheaper to just buy tickets week to week anyways.

Even then though, I'm fairly annoyed/upset about this.. Living on the West Coast, waking up at 5-6am on Sunday to watch a trash team play a stupid football game is not something I want/like to do. I sure as hell don't want to do it back to back weeks.

[/quote]
What?  you moved to the west coast?  where about do you live?  I'm seriously considering the west coast (or even the southwest) as a seasonal place to live.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-05-2020, 09:38 AM)uthill Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 09:20 AM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: Agree, I am not mad at Khan, he is just doing what many Billionaires do: try and make more money. I told myself when the team was sold by the Weavers with only a 5 year clause that the end was near if we didn’t get a new stadium/renovation. I distinctly remember Vic talking about that being the reason for teams moving in the past. But that’s not reality anymore. Teams move to increase their value now. The rams did it, the chargers tried and failed, and the jaguars look to be next.

He is a scum bag owner. Not all owners are about $$$. Pure greed. Games in London do nothing for Jacksonville but hurt the owners and workers at the stadium.

In interest of full context, Shad said the Motley Crue concert is planned precisely with the stadium vendors in mind.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(02-04-2020, 06:40 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: This must be what it would be like if your wife came to you and said, "In order to strengthen and stabilize our marriage, I'm going to spend 2 nights a week with another guy.  Believe me, I'm doing this for you."

[BLEEP] nailed it.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(02-05-2020, 10:07 AM)Mikey Wrote: Haven't been an STH for a while, so don't really have a dog in the fight, but I feel this needs to be said.

Which teams aren't clouded by the spectre of relocation? The teams that manage to sell their tickets. For ages we've fought blackouts, tarps, crows, and everything else while still saying this is Jacksonville's team and it belongs here. Heck, when the franchise was awarded, part of the selling point was this was the only major sport in town, and wouldn't have to compete for spectator dollars.

So Shad announces another game being relocated, where tickets sell as soon as they are available, and how does the fanbase react? "EAT A BUTT CONN I WON'T GO TO ANY GAMES CONN" If that's the reaction, you've made the complete relocation inevitable. This IS a call to act. If tickets are cheaper, albeit for fewer games, the city should be rallying, shouting that the time is now to get in, be a part, and tell Khan that the fans do in fact care, and won't stand idly by while the team gradually drifts away. How the fanbase responds is so very, very instrumental in the next move.

I wish I had disposable funds to even buy a seat or two for the season, and donate it to a good cause. I grew up in Cleveland, and have endured the loss of the team I loved once already. This doesn't have the same stink on it, I promise. That was an owner holding a city ransom, and the city refuses to bend to his will. The fans and the city still loved their team, and supported them. The one similarity is that there was an adversarial relationship between owner and city/fanbase. That vitriol still remains to this day.

I hope with all hope that this is not the beginning of an end. I hope that fans with the means to do so continue to buy their tickets, and continue to make Jacksonville the home of the Jaguars. I want to see a sea of teal in the stadium for years to come. One day, I'd love to introduce my kids to the greatest feeling in the world, when you walk through the concourse, into the bowl of seats, looking down upon the field, and realize that this is home, the place that brings us joy, and where we'll be for as long as we can imagine.

+1

This man gets it.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

Yes the current nfl market either dictates the team is moved or 2 games are shared with London. Let’s not act like we would rather lose the team altogether

(02-05-2020, 12:13 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 12:02 PM)Rico Wrote: Really?  I have this funny thing where I like to actually attend all of my team's home games.

you can still attend all of the Jaguars home games.   Norwegian Airlines has a direct flight on their new 787 Dreamliner from Orlando to London for $400.  I just flew that route and must admit, it was quite nice.

Norwegian has a 787? Crap, I'm gonna have to revisit my flight plans for this summer.

https://youtu.be/hNR0hukKNdY
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

After a day of reflection and listening to people more connected and smarter than me, I am not upset at this move. Khan has kept his word on everything non football related when it has come to the Jags. Has he waffled on football matters? Sure. But he has never not done what he has said he was going to do when it comes to stadium improvements.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

Jackson DeVille is saying a 4-4 home split was the plan all along.
I think this is actually the best solution.
The team would be financially sustainable and the games in Jax would be sold out.

Ahhhhhhh Yes, Duvalpride has calmed down w/respect to yesterday's announcement. Good to see. Let's get past these next three years to unfold before we navigate our way to the Modis building.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(02-05-2020, 02:39 PM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: Jackson DeVille is saying a 4-4 home split was the plan all along.
The team would be financially sustainable and the games in Jax would be sold out.

Why do you think the home games would be sold out? Just because it's NFL football? At the price of tickets, that's not sustainable over time.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(02-05-2020, 02:39 PM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: Jackson DeVille is saying a 4-4 home split was the plan all along.

If 4 games make the team financially stable why stop there? Why not make it the full slate? Why leave money on the table to appease the lowly residents of Cowford?

And what happens when Khan and company eventually asks the city for a new stadium? How to you sell 4 home games as a reason to spend 1 billion+ for a new stadium to our city leaders? I highly doubt Khan is going to beg the city, he’ll just pack up the team and leave.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(02-05-2020, 01:47 PM)Newton Wrote: Yes the current nfl market either dictates the team is moved or 2 games are shared with London. Let’s not act like we would rather lose the team altogether

No other NFL team is currently sharing even one home game with another market on an annual basis.  Jacksonville is one of several small markets in the NFL.  Taking away a 2nd home game is going to make it much more difficult for the Jaguars to get more financial support in the Jacksonville market.  

I don't think that any Jacksonville Jaguars fan deep down wants the Jaguars to move.  How can any Jacksonville Jaguars fan be blamed though for no longer supporting the team financially,  knowing that Shad Khan is not fully committed to Jacksonville?   Khan has put Jacksonville Jaguars fans in a catch 22 situation.   It's reminding me of the situation Stan Kroenke created regarding St. Louis Rams fans.

As a few people have said, I will wait to see which games are in London. If they are September/ early October, then this is fine with me. It is tortuous to attend those games anyway. If they are both in prime football weather (Late Oct - Early Dec) then I will probably not renew.

Some exceptions if the Steelers game is in Sept. I am confident I could flip that game and pay for a good chunk of the total cost of tickets.

(This post was last modified: 02-05-2020, 03:21 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

As long as they keep the voluntary OTAs in Jacksonville, I don't care what they do with the rest of the season. At least we don't lose during the OTAs and most every player looks like pro bowl caliber talent. We seem to struggle when we put on pads and play opponents from different teams.

We could always do Hard Knocks in London to a Benny Hill themed script.

(02-05-2020, 10:45 AM)snowwolf776 Wrote: I have been telling you all here that the team was going to move to london. no one ever wanted to belieave me.   no do you all belieave me about khan moveing jags to london?

never did, and still don't think it's as inevitable as a lot of people here are making it out to be.

If everyone throws in the towel, and assumes it's not worth their effort to try and keep the team around, for sure it will be relocated.

If the fanbase forces his hand, I wouldn't blame Khan one bit for going. He's not abandoning the city in the middle of the night, like the Colts did to Baltimore. He's not holding the city hostage for a new stadium (yet). He's doing what he can to further establish a fanbase that he's already put resources in (London) while also making the remaining tickets more affordable for the existing fanbase that struggles to fill its home stadium.

If anything, he's doing his part to take the excuses away for the fans who opt to stay home rather than attend games in person.

It sucks, for sure, but the most saintly owner in sports would do the exact same thing.

(02-05-2020, 02:47 PM)hb1148 Wrote:

Why do you think the home games would be sold out? Just because it's NFL football? At the price of tickets, that's not sustainable over time.

No, no, it's ok! Khan will lower the price of season tickets by 10% to make up for taking half the games to England.

(02-05-2020, 03:03 PM)D6 Wrote: I don't think that any Jacksonville Jaguars fan deep down wants the Jaguars to move.  How can any Jacksonville Jaguars fan be blamed though for no longer supporting the team financially,  knowing that Shad Khan is not fully committed to Jacksonville?   Khan has put Jacksonville Jaguars fans in a catch 22 situation.   It's reminding me of the situation Stan Kroenke created regarding St. Louis Rams fans.

Do I want it to happen? Of course not. This is my team. I grew up alongside them. I got angry at my parents because we weren't home in time to catch the beginning of the first game ever on TV. I have a very vivid memory of my dad racing through downtown Jacksonville as Boyz II Men performed the national anthem on the radio. You know, back when people had radios.

But at some point, enough is enough. Weaver just vaguely opined about ticket sales and a lack of local support maybe being a serious problem or something. Khan has now moved 25% of the team's home games to a city on the other side of the world that the NFL has been dabbling with for over ten years now as a possible home for a franchise. It just so happens to be an infinitely larger city than Jacksonville with infinitely larger income potential and Khan, like any good businessman with more zeroes after his name than this entire board put together would make in a hundred lifetimes, wants more zeroes. Capitalism, yo. Oh, and Khan's investments in downtown Jacksonville? Those pale in comparison to what he wants to do in London in terms of buying Wembley Stadium outright. These are not the actions of someone who intends to make Jacksonville the home of the Jaguars forever. It's what someone who is working on moving the team but doesn't want to upset the locals too much would do.

If Khan can't get London to work, he sells the Jags, period. Maybe this time to someone who wants to take them to San Antonio, or someone who's got a stadium dealing waiting in St. Louis. The point is that when you spend 15+ years hearing about how your team is going to move, you can tune it out. When you're hearing that and the owner is moving games to the city that the team has been linked to ever since LA fell off the map for us, at some point you lose faith and the ability to trust that your team's management wants your team to stay where it is.

(02-05-2020, 11:46 AM)Upper Wrote: The part that really annoys me is Shad having the audacity to say that winning is still the number one priority. If that were true the announcement yesterday was that we were eliminating the London games period. It's telling that he thinks the fans are as stupid and/or gullible as he does.

How does that project that winning is the number one priority?

And before you go on about air travel and such, consider that a weekend trip to Seattle and back for a game (7840KM total) is more mileage(kilometerage, based on the units that follow) in a shorter window of time than the trip to London (7160KM each leg, separated by about a week), and we don't get a bye around that Seattle game.

(02-05-2020, 04:09 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 11:46 AM)Upper Wrote: The part that really annoys me is Shad having the audacity to say that winning is still the number one priority. If that were true the announcement yesterday was that we were eliminating the London games period. It's telling that he thinks the fans are as stupid and/or gullible as he does.

How does that project that winning is the number one priority?

And before you go on about air travel and such, consider that a weekend trip to Seattle and back for a game (7840KM total) is more mileage(kilometerage, based on the units that follow) in a shorter window of time than the trip to London (7160KM each leg, separated by about a week), and we don't get a bye around that Seattle game.

You know, that whole home field advantage thing? It works for most teams.

(This post was last modified: 02-05-2020, 04:34 PM by RicoTx.)

(02-05-2020, 03:59 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 10:45 AM)snowwolf776 Wrote: I have been telling you all here that the team was going to move to london. no one ever wanted to belieave me.   no do you all belieave me about khan moveing jags to london?

never did, and still don't think it's as inevitable as a lot of people here are making it out to be.

If everyone throws in the towel, and assumes it's not worth their effort to try and keep the team around, for sure it will be relocated.

If the fanbase forces his hand, I wouldn't blame Khan one bit for going. He's not abandoning the city in the middle of the night, like the Colts did to Baltimore. He's not holding the city hostage for a new stadium (yet). He's doing what he can to further establish a fanbase that he's already put resources in (London) while also making the remaining tickets more affordable for the existing fanbase that struggles to fill its home stadium.

If anything, he's doing his part to take the excuses away for the fans who opt to stay home rather than attend games in person.

It sucks, for sure, but the most saintly owner in sports would do the exact same thing.

How is he making tickets more affordable?  You're just paying for one less game.  There's one less game now and the only thing being made 'more affordable' is the pre-season games that nobody goes to anyway.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]