Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Any chance Jags DON'T franchise Yannick?

We keep hearing rumors they will tag Yannick, and we assume they will, but.... why hasn't it happened yet?    I remember we were certain they would tag Robinson and it never happened.

Is there a chance they actually don't use it?  I know that frees up 19 million that using the tag costs until it's resolved.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-10-2020, 10:43 AM by JagJohn.)

Dilla (a guy on twitter who seems to have the inside scoop on most things jags related) seems to think we will use the transition tag on him instead:

https://twitter.com/E_Dilla/status/1237368360901529601

https://twitter.com/E_Dilla/status/1237370351472062465

https://twitter.com/E_Dilla/status/1237370884899377152

It's legal if the Jags are cool with it. "Hey agent man, go find us a partner to take your guy that you'll be happy with and we'll get something worked out."

I think old #91 is going to find out that he isn't worth what he thinks he is on the open market and, if he's really a Man of Principle, he'll have to take a bit less to leave this hellhole of a franchise that disrespected him so.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-10-2020, 11:25 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: It's legal if the Jags are cool with it. "Hey agent man, go find us a partner to take your guy that you'll be happy with and we'll get something worked out."

I think old #91 is going to find out that he isn't worth what he thinks he is on the open market and, if he's really a Man of Principle, he'll have to take a bit less to leave this hellhole of a franchise that disrespected him so.

What I've been saying for a long time... but nope, according to people here he is elite and will get paid a lot for 8 sacks and for being average vs the run.

(03-10-2020, 11:39 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 11:25 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: It's legal if the Jags are cool with it. "Hey agent man, go find us a partner to take your guy that you'll be happy with and we'll get something worked out."

What I've been saying for a long time... but nope, according to people here he is elite and will get paid a lot for 8 sacks and for being average vs the run.

He's still better than Fowler Jr. though. . . 

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 03-10-2020, 12:23 PM by iHaunting Raven.)

(03-10-2020, 12:12 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 11:39 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: What I've been saying for a long time... but nope, according to people here he is elite and will get paid a lot for 8 sacks and for being average vs the run.

He's still better than Fowler Jr. though. . . 

He wasn't better this past season. We'll see this year.

Either way they are pretty close imo. Fowler doesn't deserve more than 18 millions per year either.

(03-10-2020, 12:22 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 12:12 PM)Caldrac Wrote: He's still better than Fowler Jr. though. . . 

He wasn't better this past season. We'll see this year.

Either way they are pretty close imo. Fowler doesn't deserve more than 18 millions per year either.

Saw a segment on YouTube the other day through TPS. They had Ngakoue around the 5th or 6th mark out of 25 players in total. They were saying they think he would probably end up with the Jets on the market to the tune of maybe $15M per year. 

You're probably right about his value. Not that those guys are experts or anything. But anybody asking for more than $20M per year at any position better be putting up damn good numbers. 

Especially a defensive end in the pass rushing / 600+ pass attempts per season era of football. If you want double digits you need to be averaging double digits IMHO. He's only managed that once. And that was a stacked defense that year against weak opponents.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

The transition tag is definitely the way to go.

Let another team write the contract, match it, and tell Yan “tough luck”. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Now that I'm resigned to him not wanting to re-sign, I'm starting to enjoy some of the ridiculous trade scenarios being thrown up by fans of other teams.

Like - "We give the Jags our third round pick and fringe player X and they give us Ngakoue".

(03-10-2020, 12:58 PM)knarnn Wrote: The transition tag is definitely the way to go.

Let another team write the contract, match it, and tell Yan “tough luck”. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I disagree...  If we use the transition tag, we will lose Yan with no compensation.  Someone with cap room will sign him in a way that his cap hit this year will make it impossible for us to match.  A big first year roster bonus would be all it would take.  Unlike a signing bonus that is spread out over the life of the contract, a roster bonus hits all at once in that year.

I would love to franchise him non-exclusive and let him sign somewhere else and take the 2 1st round picks. No one is going to do that though. He doesn't want to play for the Jags, so they need to get some compensation for him. He doesn't seem to listen to reason with NFL money though, so he could potentially sit out if the Jags match.

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2020, 02:17 AM by jvillejagsn1.)

(03-10-2020, 04:52 PM)p_rushing Wrote: I would love to franchise him non-exclusive and let him sign somewhere else and take the 2 1st round picks. No one is going to do that though. He doesn't want to play for the Jags, so they need to get some compensation for him. He doesn't seem to listen to reason with NFL money though, so he could potentially sit out if the Jags match.

I agree. We are thinking if we match the offer given, it's all hunky dory then. He's made it clear he wants no part of here anymore. Time to move on and get some picks for him. The only way I see using the transition tag is if we're not really receiving much of an offer for him. But if the cba is approved, I dont think we'll be able to transition him.
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

(03-10-2020, 04:52 PM)p_rushing Wrote: I would love to franchise him non-exclusive and let him sign somewhere else and take the 2 1st round picks. No one is going to do that though. He doesn't want to play for the Jags, so they need to get some compensation for him. He doesn't seem to listen to reason with NFL money though, so he could potentially sit out if the Jags match.

I would go non-exclusive also. You might have to settle for a smaller trade, but there's also a chance that Yannick could convince a contender with very low draft choices to spend those two #1's, in exchange for a very long deal. For example if you are the Chiefs, you might give up two 32's for 8 years of Yannick, who's pretty young still.

But first we actually have to franchise him which I'm starting to get 10% concerned about.

GOOD.

Let him be underpaid and disgruntled on someone else's dime.

(03-10-2020, 10:33 AM)newporttom Wrote: We keep hearing rumors they will tag Yannick, and we assume they will, but.... why hasn't it happened yet?    I remember we were certain they would tag Robinson and it never happened.

Is there a chance they actually don't use it?  I know that frees up 19 million that using the tag costs until it's resolved.

The deadline is 4pm on March 12.  Why would you franchise someone prior to the last minute ?  You weigh every option up until that point (long term contract, sign and trade, etc.)

(03-11-2020, 09:01 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 10:33 AM)newporttom Wrote: We keep hearing rumors they will tag Yannick, and we assume they will, but.... why hasn't it happened yet?    I remember we were certain they would tag Robinson and it never happened.

The deadline is 4pm on March 12.  Why would you franchise someone prior to the last minute ?  You weigh every option up until that point (long term contract, sign and trade, etc.)

They moved it to Monday 3/16.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(03-10-2020, 11:39 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:

That's missing the mark on what was said.

Your stance was DFJ was better, while disregarding the fact that DFJ is older, and likely at his ceiling. You were in denial that had DFJ managed to double (and more) his production in his first four years, that he wouldn't be flying the same flag of PAY ME LIKE AN ELITE DE. Your stance was so anti-Yan that a ham sandwich would have been considered overpayment for his service.

The rest of us understand the nature of the beast - you draft and develop a guy who ends up performing well, you are going to have to pay if you want to retain him. Otherwise you spend forever drafting, developing, hoping the guy is the next big thing, losing the good ones to FA, and resuming the cycle again. Guess where we are now?

This would be a mistake. All it would take is a team flush with cap room to offer a fully guaranteed deal and, bang, gone without a pick.

Franchise him. If he signs the tender and plays, he plays. IIRC, he's said nothing about not playing for the Jags again, just not signing long term. Or, franchise and trade him. Whichever, just recoup value for a very good pass rusher that some 3-4 team would bet the farm on.

If no terms are agreed to there is zero chance that they will not apply the tag. The only chance he doesn't play on the tag is if he sustains an injury, either a real one or a fake one like Sweet Jalen had or he is traded. He will not leave another 20 million or so on the table unearned.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(03-11-2020, 09:08 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 11:39 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: What I've been saying for a long time... but nope, according to people here he is elite and will get paid a lot for 8 sacks and for being average vs the run.

That's missing the mark on what was said.

Your stance was DFJ was better, while disregarding the fact that DFJ is older, and likely at his ceiling. You were in denial that had DFJ managed to double (and more) his production in his first four years, that he wouldn't be flying the same flag of PAY ME LIKE AN ELITE DE. Your stance was so anti-Yan that a ham sandwich would have been considered overpayment for his service.

The rest of us understand the nature of the beast - you draft and develop a guy who ends up performing well, you are going to have to pay if you want to retain him. Otherwise you spend forever drafting, developing, hoping the guy is the next big thing, losing the good ones to FA, and resuming the cycle again. Guess where we are now?

Still desperate for my attention I see lol. 

You never understood what I was saying so...

Fowler was better this past season no matter how much you try to deny it. And he is always been better vs the run.

Yan is not even close to being an elite pass rusher, let alone an elite DE. 

There, that's all you will get from me, hope it makes you happy.