Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Master Plan

OK, here goes...………….

Cut Norwell and Lee for reasons if not already obvious will become obvious.        Trade Ngakoue for a first or second and trade Foles,      Ngakoue because he wants out and will bring a good return and because we are re-allocating his money elsewhere.  Trade Foles not because of anything that helps this year,  but because it completely clears him off of our books for 2021.   Also this gets Minshew all the first team reps and prepares him for his opportunitly.    This will give us another 35 million in cap room not including what we get back by trading away CC.    We now should have three ones and a two or at worst two ones and two twos in 2020 draft.   I didn't forget we may have to give something up to get rid of Foles.    I am hoping we can use some of our newley acquired draft capital to either get rid of Foles or to move our 3rd back into the second.     At this point we go all in on offense.     Sign TE Hooper to blockbuster deal.   Use first two picks on offensive lineman.    Use the 2nd round pick on a WR in a deep WR class.    I  think with two first round lineman, a good tightend plus Oliver, and another top end WR we give the offense a chance to be very good by the second half of the season.    Of course the defense will suck but that's ok.   We can"t do this whole rebuild all in one year anyway.   I would rather add first and second round players and a first level FA like Hooper than get six mediocre guys to fill the roster.    At least the offense will be set and will get plenty of opportunities since our Defense will likely suck.   Maybe we go 4-12 but we know next year that Minshew is the man,  and if it turns out he is not,  we have an excellent offense to put a new guy around.    It takes awhile for Offense to gel.   Defense happens much quicker.    If we get our offense together this coming year with virtually all younger players (ex, Lindor, Fournette)  we can use our draft capital next year to get 3 or 4 more quality starters to on defense.    By getting rid of all these big contracts this year we could easily plug defensive holes next year to make it formidable while still having money to pay the up and coming stars.   This year we let Jack and Allan each make 100's of tackles and try to win games 37-35.   I am sure everyone is going to say it doesn't matter because Dave will botch the draft.   Maybe he will.   But if you are looking for an upside to what we are doing perhaps this helps.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-15-2020, 04:12 PM)Dan K Wrote: OK, here goes...………….

Cut Norwell and Lee for reasons if not already obvious will become obvious.        Trade Ngakoue for a first or second and trade Foles,      Ngakoue because he wants out and will bring a good return and because we are re-allocating his money elsewhere.  Trade Foles not because of anything that helps this year,  but because it completely clears him off of our books for 2021.   Also this gets Minshew all the first team reps and prepares him for his opportunitly.    This will give us another 35 million in cap room not including what we get back by trading away CC.    We now should have three ones and a two or at worst two ones and two twos in 2020 draft.   I didn't forget we may have to give something up to get rid of Foles.    I am hoping we can use some of our newley acquired draft capital to either get rid of Foles or to move our 3rd back into the second.     At this point we go all in on offense.     Sign TE Hooper to blockbuster deal.   Use first two picks on offensive lineman.    Use the 2nd round pick on a WR in a deep WR class.    I  think with two first round lineman, a good tightend plus Oliver, and another top end WR we give the offense a chance to be very good by the second half of the season.    Of course the defense will suck but that's ok.   We can"t do this whole rebuild all in one year anyway.   I would rather add first and second round players and a first level FA like Hooper than get six mediocre guys to fill the roster.    At least the offense will be set and will get plenty of opportunities since our Defense will likely suck.   Maybe we go 4-12 but we know next year that Minshew is the man,  and if it turns out he is not,  we have an excellent offense to put a new guy around.    It takes awhile for Offense to gel.   Defense happens much quicker.    If we get our offense together this coming year with virtually all younger players (ex, Lindor, Fournette)  we can use our draft capital next year to get 3 or 4 more quality starters to on defense.    By getting rid of all these big contracts this year we could easily plug defensive holes next year to make it formidable while still having money to pay the up and coming stars.   This year we let Jack and Allan each make 100's of tackles and try to win games 37-35.   I am sure everyone is going to say it doesn't matter because Dave will botch the draft.   Maybe he will.   But if you are looking for an upside to what we are doing perhaps this helps.
        I should have added that if both  Beckton and Wirfs are gone by the ninth pick that would probably mean that either Derrick Brown or Isaiah Simmons was available.    I would have to draft either of them if they were there only because I believe them to be elite.   I would not take Okudah if he were available over Becton or Wirfs because while he is likely the best cb in this draft I don't value him as much and Brown or Simmons and would rather stick with my offensive plan.   Drafting either Brown or simmons wouldn't kill the plan since I should actually have 4 choices in the first two rounds.

The typical way to start paragraphs is the Return key not Space Bar.

(03-15-2020, 05:01 PM)ShivanWurm Wrote: The typical way to start paragraphs is the Return key not Space Bar.

Yeah, let’s throw away an entire post because you disagree with the format of it.

People like you are why this board is dead

Holy word jumble, Batman.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 03-15-2020, 06:24 PM by ShivanWurm.)

(03-15-2020, 05:13 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote:
(03-15-2020, 05:01 PM)ShivanWurm Wrote: The typical way to start paragraphs is the Return key not Space Bar.

Yeah, let’s throw away an entire post because you disagree with the format of it.

People like you are why this board is dead

Just some constructive formatting points. Never spoke about its merit.  

People jumping to conclusions and overeacting is “why this board is dead”.

You had me until Hooper

How about we  just let khan keep the front office clown show....which he just might be doing......and become Ravens'fans.
I'm not sure I take it anymore.

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=790b76119f98107f2151d06551...=giphy.gif]
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(03-15-2020, 04:23 PM)Dan K Wrote:

I should have added that if both  Beckton and Wirfs are gone by the ninth pick that would probably mean that either Derrick Brown or Isaiah Simmons was available.    I would have to draft either of them if they were there only because I believe them to be elite.   I would not take Okudah if he were available over Becton or Wirfs because while he is likely the best cb in this draft I don't value him as much and Brown or Simmons and would rather stick with my offensive plan.   Drafting either Brown or simmons wouldn't kill the plan since I should actually have 4 choices in the first two rounds.

Recapping:

CUTS:  Norwell, Lee

TRADES: Ngakoue and Foles

FA signings: Austin Hooper TE

DRAFT: O-linemen at #9 and #20 - WR in 2nd round  (possibly draft a quality defender early as well if Ngakoue trade yields an early pick)

Philosophy:   Cope with having a terrible defense for one year while focusing on offense in a two year rebuild.

(03-15-2020, 07:17 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-15-2020, 04:23 PM)Dan K Wrote:         I should have added that if both  Beckton and Wirfs are gone by the ninth pick that would probably mean that either Derrick Brown or Isaiah Simmons was available.    I would have to draft either of them if they were there only because I believe them to be elite.   I would not take Okudah if he were available over Becton or Wirfs because while he is likely the best cb in this draft I don't value him as much and Brown or Simmons and would rather stick with my offensive plan.   Drafting either Brown or simmons wouldn't kill the plan since I should actually have 4 choices in the first two rounds.

Recapping:

DRAFT: O-linemen at #9 and #20 - WR in 2nd round  (possibly draft a quality defender early as well if Ngakoue trade yields an early pick)

Philosophy:   Cope with having a terrible defense for one year while focusing on offense in a two year rebuild.

Not a bad plan, actually.

#1: I don't think we're getting either a #1 or 2 for Yannick, and that's IF he's traded. FTR, I think he's traded, and nets either a player or a 3rd round pick at best.
#2: No more high priced tight ends. Hooper is a good TE, not a great one, and I'd rather draft and develop, no matter how long it takes.
#3: We're gonna get a great player at #9, unless Caldwell gets REAALLLYY cute, and I don't see that this year. We'll also probably do well with #20.

I actually like the current philosophy of the GM. Acquiring picks, getting more cap space, getting rid of players that may only have a couple years left. It's a painful process, but all teams have to do it from time to time.

(03-15-2020, 07:56 PM)anonymous2112 Wrote: #1:  I don't think we're getting either a #1 or 2 for Yannick, and that's IF he's traded.  FTR, I think he's traded, and nets either a player or a 3rd round pick at best.
#2:  No more high priced tight ends.  Hooper is a good TE, not a great one, and I'd rather draft and develop, no matter how long it takes.
#3:  We're gonna get a great player at #9, unless Caldwell gets REAALLLYY cute, and I don't see that this year.  We'll also probably do well with #20.

I actually like the current philosophy of the GM.  Acquiring picks, getting more cap space, getting rid of players that may only have a couple years left.  It's a painful process, but all teams have to do it from time to time.

I'm not as down on Caldwell as some. Coughlin really gummed up the works and it makes me wonder how frustrated DC was during that time and where we would be if Mr. Crotchety Curmudgeon hadn't been here. But that's irrelevant. We have a lot of draft capital this year and I think he'll do good things with it.

(03-15-2020, 07:55 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(03-15-2020, 07:17 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Recapping:

Not a bad plan, actually.

Few issues cutting norwell is a 9mil dead cap hit and a 14.5 mil cap hit doesnt make s lot of sense.  Lee has a 3.5 mil dead cap hit and 8.75 mil cap hit.  Might make sense maybe.  

Trading foles will be tricky.  I say make yannick stay since he annoyed me.  If we can get a decent one say mid 20s or up i say trade him then only.

No thanks on overpaying a te.  He isnt worth setting the market for i dont think.

We need at least one defender and one playmaker/ot in first round and the order doesnt matter.  We will know more in few weeks once fa has happened.

Go BPA regardless of offense or defense

(This post was last modified: 03-15-2020, 10:15 PM by TheDogCatcher.)

With the Bouye and Campbell trades, the FO signaled that 2020 is a pure rebuilding year. So, I think offense is going to be the focus to get Minshew some help and because offense takes longer to gel, as you said. If Minshew is a myth, they'll have draft capital to grab a QB high next year to plug into a strong supporting cast and then restock the defense with 7-8 new starters from the draft and free agency. 

I think the offense has a lot of young pieces in place. We need another starting receiver and another tackle or guard from the draft. It's a weak TE class, but grab one if there's value. 

Don't cut Norwell or Linder this year. Remember, the goal is to see what Minshew can do. Maybe draft their replacements/competition this year, but don't cut them. Every young QB deserves a solid O-line for better evaluation.

That said, I could see Dave drafting pure BAP without much regard to which side of the ball. We have so many picks and holes to fill. It'll be fun to watch.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

Here’s to hoping Caldwell learned from past mistakes and could now have a great draft. Would have liked to have had a new regime, but all we can do is hope for success. We have a ton of picks and a young offense on the rise. Things may yet work out.

(03-15-2020, 07:17 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Recapping:

Cheers for the summary NYC. My dear departed linguistic stalwart Mum staunchly believed succinct language displayed dexterity in expression. I never measured. Thanks for the take, Dan.

- The D as a unit was a liability last year so as jolting as these moves have been thus far, they appear reasonable and should pay dividends in the long run, perhaps immediately.

- In terms of FAs on defense, I think they'll look to add an  ascending long term piece on the line that can make up for Campbell and truly help a run D that faltered last year. Ngakoue's situ is enigmatic. He's put himself in a sticky situation. You don't publically bite the hand that fed you. We'll see. They'll very likely bring in a top corner upwards of Bouye to pair with Herndon/draftees. Imo, Jones/Harris/Bradberry/Rhodes can comfortably surpass Bouye. I feel as though Ramsey is long gone in their minds; they like the returns he yielded and are looking to fix issues on D last year after his departure. I also envision a serviceable, blue collar LB in the mix to join a retooling corps, and perhaps a mid tier safety to supplant Wilson, though they could lean on the draft for that.

- On O, I'd be chuffed with Hooper at TE. But they may like one of the older vets for experience and leadership on a short term. We'll see how Oliver refits. What about the flighty Ebron? Uber talented but maddeningly inconsistent. Ole Hoodie apparently loves him. Generally, I am with the OP on O. Draft to bolster Minshew as much as you can. They can hit the ground running right away. Lee, I agree; axe. Norwell, strongly disagree. Had some ugly gaffes but was really solid otherwise. Still acclimatizing and came back from serious injury. Plus he'll dent the cap if walked. D is trickier; lean on FAs to replace the jettisoned, and draftees for future outlook. 

Overall I am neutral. Been around too long to overreact. DC et al appear to have a logical plan. Do they have time to get it to fruition?
Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

Makes sense. They have 10 picks this year. They cleared a lot of cap space by trading Campbell and Bouye. They could get some decent starters and depth for a year or two on defense via free agency and just go all in early on offense to build around Minshew. I would get Cordy Glenn on the phone at LT. Call up Rhodes at CB. Get that Kwiktsjkosksisiskis (sp?) from Chicago on the phone at ILB and maybe even Joseph at DT and get them on one year big deals to prove themselves to other teams.

I wouldn't take two tackles in RD1 though for the sake of taking them. If Kinlaw or Brown are there at No. 9 and there's just Andrew Thomas remaining at LT? I am taking Kinlaw or Brown there. I would only consider Becton or Wirfs over one of those DT's there. I like Thomas. I am a Bulldog. But I don't know if he can be relied upon in the pass protection department due to how they literally RUN things in Georgia and due to the fact that Fromm was pretty much a lame duck last year at the QB position.

Take Kinlaw or Brown. Grab Jefferson or Ruggs at 20 to compliment Chark. Fix the line through FA and most of the defense through FA. Add skill position players everywhere else to the roster.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I was trying to my damnedest to remain semi-optimistic.

Though not totally unexpected, the Campbell trade was a real gut-punch. Not as much from the player perspective, but from the team and community leader perspective. If nothing else, it was a [BLEEP] PR move.

And I've already made my season ticket purchase for next year. It could be a real [BLEEP] show. Even if they strike it rich in the draft the chances that a bunch of rookies and QB that we are not even sure of can carry the team is pretty much non-existent. Hoping Minshew is the real deal seems to be the master plan with a backup of Trevor Lawrence as the backup.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

I really thought that:
  • Probably lame duck year for coaching staff
  • +
  • Caldwell in a prove it year
  • =
  • Make roster competitive RIGHT NOW

With the Bouye and Campbell moves coming after the Dareus/Ryan cuts, I'm now not so sure what this "plan" is that Marrone and Caldwell sold to Shad Khan. It certainly is starting to seem like a two year plan, whatever it is.  
Going to be an interesting offseason. Lots of roster changes on tap. 

We could see as many as FIVE new starters on defense,  plus three new starters on offense along with a couple of other new names playing contributing roles there.