Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: How does the Ngakoue situation play out?
This poll is closed.
Ngakoue gets traded before the season starts
15.82%
25 15.82%
Ngakoue gets traded after the season starts but doesn't play for Jags prior
15.19%
24 15.19%
Ngakoue plays for Jags until being traded prior to deadline
12.66%
20 12.66%
Ngakoue signs a long term deal to and plays for the Jags
6.96%
11 6.96%
Ngakoue plays for the Jags on the tag this year
35.44%
56 35.44%
blank #2
3.16%
5 3.16%
corn
10.76%
17 10.76%
Total 158 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Yannick Ngakoue (threads merged)

Send him to the eagles for a their 2021 first and call it a day. Then we will have 3 first round picks next year to either add weapons for minsh if he improves significantly or more firepower to grab fields or lawrence if everything crumbles down again.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I am pretty sure he is just doubling down at this point. He knows no one is going to offer him as much as we will but if he backs off now, it will look like he gave in.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(04-07-2020, 06:37 PM)Dimson Wrote: I am pretty sure he is just doubling down at this point. He knows no one is going to offer him as much as we will but if he backs off now, it will look like he gave in.

Agreed, I think he thought he was worth more than he really is only to find out his value is not as high as he once thought.  But like you said, he wont back off now because it will look like he gave in.

Even Clowney has moved off his asking price...and he is a better overall DE than Ngakoue.

(This post was last modified: 04-07-2020, 08:48 PM by Upper.)

(04-07-2020, 04:21 PM)p_rushing Wrote: Winning teams don't usually have money to pay $20 million to a 1 trick DE.

I mean, it's the most important 1 trick in the NFL.

(04-07-2020, 06:00 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: Send him to the eagles for a their 2021 first and call it a day. Then we will have 3 first round picks next year to either add weapons for minsh if he improves significantly or more firepower to grab fields or lawrence if everything crumbles down again.

I don't think Dave is trading one of his best win now players for a 2021 pick when his seat is this hot.

(04-07-2020, 06:00 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: Send him to the eagles for a their 2021 first and call it a day. Then we will have 3 first round picks next year to either add weapons for minsh if he improves significantly or more firepower to grab fields or lawrence if everything crumbles down again.

If a team who is QB needy lands the first pick, it won’t matter. They’ll take Lawrence and reject any package.

(04-07-2020, 06:39 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-07-2020, 06:37 PM)Dimson Wrote: I am pretty sure he is just doubling down at this point. He knows no one is going to offer him as much as we will but if he backs off now, it will look like he gave in.

Agreed, I think he thought he was worth more than he really is only to find out his value is not as high as he once thought.  But like you said, he wont back off now because it will look like he gave in.

Bingo.

Pride is going to cost him a lot of money. Hell it already has. I hope he saves what he does end up settling for so he can feed his family.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Yep I'm in that camp as well. Somehow from the end of the season he went from "its all about the money" to now it's "not about the money". Nothing has changed in these past four months other than Coughlin leaving which was supposedly the root of all our problems. Most likely Yan is just trying to save face in the event he signs not only a lower deal than he wants, but also if he signs for less with another team than he would have gotten here. You'd look like a complete bozo unless of course it all of sudden becomes "not about the money".

If you are Khan and the Jags, at some point though you have to quit placating to players who publicly get a little mouthy. You don't want to set a bad precedent where anytime a player starts to whine, you let them get their way and force a trade. Jags have the leverage here. Continue to offer him what you feel is a fair deal and make it known it's a fair deal. If his pride overrides his better sense and he sits out a year, so be it.

It would be funny to see the Jags having a better record next season than Yannick's team. #winning

Just like Ramsey wanted to play for a contender and didn't even made the playoffs...

(This post was last modified: 04-08-2020, 08:26 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

If we dont get what we feel is a fair trade just keep him. If he sits out the year and loses another 17 mil, be my guest. Then tag him next year as well. You dont let a player make the rules or or try to hold the team hostage. The show will go on with or without him. Him and his family will be the ones that lose out on this whole situation because of his pride
and miss judgement, while our newly built defense and Minshew is out there winning games.

I feel like the issue was just not with Couglin, I believe it was with Dave Caldwell as well. Same as when Ramsey said it was 2 of them in the meeting going at him. Dave was probably agreeing with whatever Coughlin was saying so Yan probably feels a way about Dave because of that. Overall, lets just let him go for the best possible deal.
Its the same owner, GM and Coach, he feels how the fans feel, how would the culture change if they people (players) that made us good are gone but the losers are still here.

Jags have all the leverage this time.

They've stated multiple times that they want him to play in Jax and are in no hurry to deal him.

He either plays on the tag or someone eventually rushes in with fair compensation. It's pretty simple and there's still plenty of time to wait it out.

I doubt he sits if no big trade comes around. He'll want to max his next contract by performing IMO.

It's hard to blame him for wanting to go elsewhere as we've all sat here for two years bad-mouthing the organization for the same things he cites for wanting to leave. Still, it's disappointing.
Personally, I want to see him lined up opposite Allen on 60% of the snaps in 2020 and wreaking havoc on QBs from wide 9.

(04-08-2020, 08:28 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Personally, I want to see him lined up opposite Allen on 60% of the snaps in 2020 and wreaking havoc on QBs from wide 9.

Hard to do when the other team is rushing for 200 a game.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(04-08-2020, 08:56 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-08-2020, 08:28 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Personally, I want to see him lined up opposite Allen on 60% of the snaps in 2020 and wreaking havoc on QBs from wide 9.

Hard to do when the other team is rushing for 200 a game.

How many games do you expect to see that happen in 2020 (assuming a full season)?

(04-08-2020, 08:28 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Jags have all the leverage this time.

They've stated multiple times that they want him to play in Jax and are in no hurry to deal him.

He either plays on the tag or someone eventually rushes in with fair compensation.  It's pretty simple and there's still plenty of time to wait it out.

I doubt he sits if no big trade comes around. He'll want to max his next contract by performing IMO.

It's hard to blame him for wanting to go elsewhere as we've all sat here for two years bad-mouthing the organization for the same things he cites for wanting to leave. Still, it's disappointing.
Personally, I want to see him lined up opposite Allen on 60% of the snaps in 2020 and wreaking havoc on QBs from wide 9.

I don't agree with this line of thought other than it being disappointing which I whole heartily agree. We are just message boarders. We are allowed too call our sisters ugly. We have not had a direct hand in the losing culture that apparently exists according to Yan. He has had a direct hand in that losing culture. Blame? Yeah, he should carry some of it.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(04-08-2020, 08:58 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-08-2020, 08:56 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Hard to do when the other team is rushing for 200 a game.

How many games do you expect to see that happen in 2020 (assuming a full season)?

Depends on the rest of this off-season really. Can the new kid stop the run in the middle? Do we get some wide bodies for the line?

If this roster doesn't get better against the run between now and week 1 then I don't see why opposing OCs would even consider throwing the ball.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(04-08-2020, 08:28 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: It's hard to blame him for wanting to go elsewhere as we've all sat here for two years bad-mouthing the organization for the same things he cites for wanting to leave. Still, it's disappointing.

It would be easier to believe if he had been saying that all along.  If you are a player and dont like the team you are on, you can say that upfront, you just tell them thanks but no thanks anytime they offer you a contract extension, and you play the franchise / trade / wait for free agency game.  But he wasnt doing any of that until a month or two ago.

(04-08-2020, 09:08 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-08-2020, 08:58 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: How many games do you expect to see that happen in 2020 (assuming a full season)?

Depends on the rest of this off-season really. Can the new kid stop the run in the middle? Do we get some wide bodies for the line?

If this roster doesn't get better against the run between now and week 1 then I don't see why opposing OCs would even consider throwing the ball.

The point I'm aiming at is the run defense should be pretty easy to fix. They've likely already done 1/2 of it by signing a MLB that can see what's going on across the line pre-snap and prepare for it. 
I don't think finding a rotation of phone booths that represent an upgrade to the Abry Jones's of the world should be too tall an order either. 

Of course they could screw it up  - and injury could play a role, but I don't see them getting gashed on the ground like that last year and not investing to fix it in the coming weeks.  

I think that look we saw on 3rd downs last year with 41 and 91 wide is something they'd like to use more often and I think it's do-able if they don't deal Salty McSalterton.

(04-08-2020, 09:10 AM)rfc17 Wrote:
(04-08-2020, 08:28 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: It's hard to blame him for wanting to go elsewhere as we've all sat here for two years bad-mouthing the organization for the same things he cites for wanting to leave. Still, it's disappointing.

It would be easier to believe if he had been saying that all along.  If you are a player and dont like the team you are on, you can say that upfront, you just tell them thanks but no thanks anytime they offer you a contract extension, and you play the franchise / trade / wait for free agency game.  But he wasnt doing any of that until a month or two ago.

I've followed his winding narrative over the months and I just don't try to read into it as much as most around here seem to. 

I chalk that stuff up to a young guy with some inflated ideal in his head about maximizing his second contract - and he's just not being all that smart about it.

If there is no season, do players still get paid or is there a clause in the CBA addressing that? Would this play into why there's a slow market for Yawn and Clowney?
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

(04-08-2020, 07:08 AM)rfc17 Wrote: Yep I'm in that camp as well.  Somehow from the end of the season he went from "its all about the money" to now it's "not about the money".  Nothing has changed in these past four months other than Coughlin leaving which was supposedly the root of all our problems. Most likely Yan is just trying to save face in the event he signs not only a lower deal than he wants, but also if he signs for less with another team than he would have gotten here.  You'd look like a complete bozo unless of course it all of sudden becomes "not about the money".  

If you are Khan and the Jags, at some point though you have to quit placating to players who publicly get a little mouthy.  You don't want to set a bad precedent where anytime a player starts to whine, you let them get their way and force a trade.  Jags have the leverage here.  Continue to offer him what you feel is a fair deal and make it known it's a fair deal.  If his pride overrides his better sense and he sits out a year, so be it.

....Winner. ^