Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Booze Thread

(03-29-2020, 07:41 PM)Sammy Wrote:
(03-29-2020, 06:20 PM)PF* Wrote: Whoa, 130 proof has to burn, no? 
Not a surprise that different batches come out at different strengths, I am surprised that they are drinkable/enjoyable at such high proofs.

I just bought the pot still bottle of Willett and am enjoying it- I think it's 90-92 proof, somewhere around there. The Yellowstone that my friend had was the best ever.

No, I haven't been drinking those higher proofs. The JO Cask 112 and Makers Mark private selection at around 108 is about the highest proof I have tasted.

I will have to pick up Yellowstone, I have never considered it. The Willett Pot Still I have is 94 proof.

Some of the higher proof bourbons I have -
Elijah Craig Barrel Proof B519 is 122.2 proof.
Elijah Craig Barrel Proof C919 is 136.8 proof.
Bulleit Bourbon Barrel Strength is 124 proof.
1792 Full proof is 125 proof.

I haven't opened any of those bottles, but I have more than 1 of each if I decide to sample any of them.

The Bourbon I appreciate the most would be Eagle Rare ... Best Bourbon for the cost, and about $50 lower the JO I would consider my favorite. One that you see a lot about is Blanton's ... I do have many bottles of those.

I like the Eagle Rare but not Blanton's. Hickory Hill is a $45-50 sleeper that I like a lot.

There's a fabulous bourbon bar in Covington, KY, just across the river from Cincinnati. The guy has probably hundreds of different bourbons in there, probably including dozens which, ah, aren't even marketed. Great place, called the Old Kentucky Bourbon Bar. Worth a trip.

Covington itself is worth he trip. Old German town, lots of German food and beer. Great place...there's also a Radisson Hotel with a revolving restaurant on top with the great views of Cincinnati and the Ohio River.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-30-2020, 10:04 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-28-2020, 09:19 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: How was the egg supply? Out here, eggs and paper products are still extremely hard to come by.

Eggs arrive every other day or so. Paper products are gone within 15 minutes of store opening every day.

I'm very lucky, several local families have hen houses. Plenty of fresh eggs available for $2 per dozen. I buy 5 dozen at a time.

Fun fact: If you don't wash or refrigerate fresh eggs they will be okay to eat for at least a month, probably longer.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 03-30-2020, 11:45 AM by Talented Kalamari.)

Back when I used to bartend, I did the classic “Light my hand on fire” with Bacardi 151 rum, you’re supposed to do it quickly and then blow it out.

Took a few seconds too long and scorched the [BLEEP] out of my hand. Luckily no scars but I haven’t touched the stuff since.

(03-30-2020, 11:45 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Back when I used to bartend, I did the classic “Light my hand on fire” with Bacardi 151 rum, you’re supposed to do it quickly and then blow it out.

Took a few seconds too long and scorched the [BLEEP] out of my hand. Luckily no scars but I haven’t touched the stuff since.

Haha. We used shoot Binaca spray or something like that across a lit match and get a brief blowtorch. It was funny until one guy blew it at the back of another guy's head and burned off a clump of the frizzies. Good times.

Just saw that liquor sales are up 55% over the last month. I'm running low. I might have to go participate in that surge. Only a few more shots of Patron Silver left.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Question for the beer snobs. Or beer aficionados. Whatever you want to call it.

I’ve been drinking Bud Light for 21 years. It’s what I like. The problem is I drink too much of it. In my younger years drank a [BLEEP] ton of Beam, Jack Jose even absinthe( yay, having a navy medic friend) . I wouldn’t say I have a drinking problem. But I do down the beers. That has cause weight gain. The problem is, after 21 years of drinking BL I enjoy it and look forward to it. I’ve started buying just 2 “big boys”. That’s great and about 4 12oz beers less than I normally drink. I’ve been trying to cut back for weight reasons. 6’1” 200. Doesn’t sound bad but I’m not exactly all muscle. So in drinking the 2 big boys, I found on the rare occasions I want more it’s better to drink something I don’t like. That way I don’t over do it. Otherwise, I’d just keep drinking the BL. I’ve found I won’t keep Drinking after the other beers.

So my question is simple, what’s a decent beer? I’m positive the beer snobs will provide stuff I don’t like. Which is really what I’m wanting. Perhaps I need to go to AA. Right now I’m drinking some shock top orange crap. That’s probably been in the fridge for a year since it sucks.

6'1" 200

Sounds pretty reasonable to me. Regardless, no good answers here.

(This post was last modified: 04-26-2020, 07:11 PM by Jags.)

(04-26-2020, 07:02 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: 6'1" 200

Sounds pretty reasonable to me. Regardless, no good answers here.

I’ve been the “scrawny” kid my whole life.  Yes, height weight sounds reasonable.  But I’ve got a beer gut that’s hidden quite well.  Can’t be healthy. If I was “solid”. I wouldn’t even worry about it.  It’s all in the gut.

(04-26-2020, 06:21 PM)Jags Wrote: Question for the beer snobs.   Or beer aficionados.  Whatever you want to call it.  

I’ve been drinking Bud Light for 21 years.   It’s what I like.   The problem is I drink too much of it.  In my younger years drank a [BLEEP] ton of Beam, Jack  Jose even absinthe( yay, having a navy medic friend) .  I wouldn’t say I have a drinking  problem.  But I do down the beers.  That has cause weight gain.  The problem is, after 21 years of drinking BL I enjoy it and look forward to it.  I’ve started buying just 2 “big boys”.  That’s great and about 4 12oz beers less than I normally drink.  I’ve been trying to cut back for weight reasons.  6’1” 200.   Doesn’t sound bad but I’m not exactly all muscle.  So in drinking the 2 big boys, I found on the rare occasions I want more it’s better to drink something I don’t like.  That way I don’t over do it.  Otherwise, I’d just keep drinking the BL.  I’ve found I won’t keep Drinking after the other beers.  

So my question is simple, what’s a decent beer?  I’m positive the beer snobs will provide stuff I don’t like. Which is really what I’m wanting.  Perhaps I need to go to AA.  Right now I’m drinking some shock top orange crap.   That’s probably been in the fridge for a year since it sucks.

If you're doing it for weight concern, then you have to consider calories and carbs in these snobby beers you don't like.
Some of them won't help your case as they'll have nearly twice the cals and carbs. 

If I were going to recommend one that's not much higher in calories and I personally believe tastes like [BLEEP] -- I'd go with Sam Adams Light.  I have no qualms with their Boston Ale and a few of their other offerings. Quality stuff as far as I can tell -  but their light offering just sucks.  I had a couple at a party once when there was no other beer about the joint. Ugh. I literally tried the second one because I thought maybe the first I drank was an outlier bad bottle or something. Nope. 

Ended up drinking some horrible cheap vodka and bad-off-brand fruit soda concoction and it was an improvement.

(04-26-2020, 07:12 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-26-2020, 06:21 PM)Jags Wrote: Question for the beer snobs.   Or beer aficionados.  Whatever you want to call it.  

I’ve been drinking Bud Light for 21 years.   It’s what I like.   The problem is I drink too much of it.  In my younger years drank a [BLEEP] ton of Beam, Jack  Jose even absinthe( yay, having a navy medic friend) .  I wouldn’t say I have a drinking  problem.  But I do down the beers.  That has cause weight gain.  The problem is, after 21 years of drinking BL I enjoy it and look forward to it.  I’ve started buying just 2 “big boys”.  That’s great and about 4 12oz beers less than I normally drink.  I’ve been trying to cut back for weight reasons.  6’1” 200.   Doesn’t sound bad but I’m not exactly all muscle.  So in drinking the 2 big boys, I found on the rare occasions I want more it’s better to drink something I don’t like.  That way I don’t over do it.  Otherwise, I’d just keep drinking the BL.  I’ve found I won’t keep Drinking after the other beers.  

So my question is simple, what’s a decent beer?  I’m positive the beer snobs will provide stuff I don’t like. Which is really what I’m wanting.  Perhaps I need to go to AA.  Right now I’m drinking some shock top orange crap.   That’s probably been in the fridge for a year since it sucks.

If you're doing it for weight concern, then you have to consider calories and carbs in these snobby beers you don't like.
Some of them won't help your case as they'll have  nearly twice the cals and carbs. 

If I were going to recommend one that's not much higher in calories and I personally believe tastes like [BLEEP] -- I'd go with Sam Adams Light.  I have no qualms with their Boston Ale and a few of their other offerings. Quality stuff as far as I can tell -  but their light offering just sucks.  I had a couple at a party once when there was no other beer about the joint. Ugh. I literally tried the second one because I thought maybe the first I drank was an outlier bad bottle or something. Nope. 

Ended up drinking some horrible cheap vodka and bad-off-brand fruit soda concoction and it was an improvement.

No flask of tequila? Shame on you  Tongue

St. Pauli Girl. Oh my gawd!
Foster’s is absolute horse piss.
Chug down some cans of Iron City. You’ll lose weight sitting down.

(04-26-2020, 07:42 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: St. Pauli Girl. Oh my gawd!

Hey Now, I like Fosters, and I've chugged my share of Iron City so...….
Only Problem with Iron City is you have the [BLEEP] the next day....
Keep TP on Hand Laughing
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

Jags-
There's plenty of bad beers, you have made a fine choice, IMO, with that Shock Top.

(This post was last modified: 04-27-2020, 06:19 PM by Jags.)

I appreciate the suggestions. I even got a kick out of most of them. But having the [BLEEP] is not exactly conducive to working outside at other people’s homes. NYC seemed to know what I was getting at but brought up a good point I didn’t consider. The extra calories in the good ones. I may have to re-evaluate the situation.

I miss the days that I could eat and drink whatever I wanted and it didn’t affect my health. Getting old sucks

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2020, 08:17 AM by RicoTx.)

After all of the stories I had heard about Iron City, I didn't think it was half as bad as people make it out to be.  And I have had many an opportunity to consume it since the in-laws are in Pittsburgh.

I like Foster's as well.

My go to has always been Yuengling, but I've switched to Coors Lite and Bud Light Platinum since I lost all the weight.  I will say though, the Platinum is definitely a headache beer for me.

And, on a side note, drinking beer alone is not going to make you gain weight.  I still drink a good deal of suds and I've kept all 50 pounds off and have dropped to 55 on occasion.  Cardio...cardio...cardio.  It'll burn it off.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

I rarely drink when I am out now but if I do have a couple, it is Coors Light b/c of DUI considerations. 3-4 of those over a few hours is nothing. At home, I keep a variety of local beers in the refrig, Bold City being a favorite.

When I venture up to the Baymeadows area (usually to go to the Beirut Restaurant, a great Teal Deal coup), I go to Wicked Barley Brewery and get a growler of their excellent Left Leg lager to bring home.

(04-28-2020, 08:16 AM)Rico Wrote:

After all of the stories I had heard about Iron City, I didn't think it was half as bad as people make it out to be.  And I have had many an opportunity to consume it since the in-laws are in Pittsburgh.

I like Foster's as well.

My go to has always been Yuengling, but I've switched to Coors Lite and Bud Light Platinum since I lost all the weight.  I will say though, the Platinum is definitely a headache beer for me.

And, on a side note, drinking beer alone is not going to make you gain weight.  I still drink a good deal of suds and I've kept all 50 pounds off and have dropped to 55 on occasion.  Cardio...cardio...cardio.  It'll burn it off.

I was really hoping it wouldn’t come down to exercise.

(04-28-2020, 11:01 AM)Jags Wrote:
(04-28-2020, 08:16 AM)Rico Wrote: After all of the stories I had heard about Iron City, I didn't think it was half as bad as people make it out to be.  And I have had many an opportunity to consume it since the in-laws are in Pittsburgh.

I like Foster's as well.

I was really hoping it wouldn’t come down to exercise.

There's plenty of exercise videos on the 'net right now. Hook your PC into the big screen TV, then crack a beer and sit back in the La-Z-Boy and watch a couple.

(04-28-2020, 11:32 AM)PF* Wrote:
(04-28-2020, 11:01 AM)Jags Wrote: I was really hoping it wouldn’t come down to exercise.

There's plenty of exercise videos on the 'net right now. Hook your PC into the big screen TV, then crack a beer and sit back in the La-Z-Boy and watch a couple.
It’s almost worth putting on a headband and doing that.  The look on my wife’s face and her asking “what the hell are you doing?” would be worth it.

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2020, 03:46 PM by PF*.)

Headband is a nice touch. Maybe sweat pants too and dump water on your tee shirt for artificial sweat.
A bag of chips would complete the look.