Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Texans releasing Tashaun Gipson

per Dilla on Twitter.

1 yr/ $1M offer?? 

I’d love to have him back.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I would be more than okay with it

Another departed Jags player into the abyss.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

His release should be a clue that moving on from him when we did was the right move.

Texans fans don't like it lol

https://www.texanstalk.com/threads/tasha...ut.115161/

(04-27-2020, 09:26 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: His release should be a clue that moving on from him when we did was the right move.

Orr that he’s just overpayed, and the NFL doesn’t value  paying safeties at all anymore, it seems like more teams just draft athletic DBs and move them around however they see fit.

He had good stats with Houston. Like 50 tackles and 3 INTs. He’s still good. I would sign him on a 1 year deal as long as he wasn’t making more than $2M. He’s easily worth it. Good safety play is not nearly as easy to find as everyone thinks.

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2020, 07:04 AM by The Real Marty.)

From reading the thread on the Houston message board, it appears that he had some late-season injuries.  

Unless he's a whole lot better than some younger, healthier guy on our roster, I would pass.  He's 29 years old, and since we are in rebuilding mode, that's not the kind of player you want taking up a roster spot.

(04-28-2020, 07:01 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: From reading the thread on the Houston message board, it appears that he had some late-season injuries.  

Unless he's a whole lot better than some younger, healthier guy on our roster, I would pass.  He's 29 years old, and since we are in rebuilding mode, that's not the kind of player you want taking up a roster spot.

I understand your points, but I still disagree.

Our defense could use some quality veteran leadership.. especially with the departure of almost all of our vets.

Aging players become an issue for 2 things: Injuries, and  slowing down/ lack of production. T Gip hasn’t suffered much from either, he’s always been in great shape, and 29 ain’t anywhere near 35.

Also, even if he’s gotten any slower it doesn’t matter too much because he’s playing safety.. not CB.

I’ll stick to my guns here. I think he’d be a great signing.

(04-27-2020, 04:52 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: per Dilla on Twitter.

1 yr/ $1M offer?? 

Sure he is gonna take that  Laughing
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(04-28-2020, 10:15 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(04-27-2020, 04:52 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: per Dilla on Twitter.

1 yr/ $1M offer?? 

Sure he is gonna take that  Laughing

He doesn’t have much of a choice if he still wants to play. Won’t get an offer most likely

(04-28-2020, 07:09 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote:
(04-28-2020, 07:01 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: From reading the thread on the Houston message board, it appears that he had some late-season injuries.  

I understand your points, but I still disagree.

Our defense could use some quality veteran leadership.. especially with the departure of almost all of our vets.

Aging players become an issue for 2 things: Injuries, and  slowing down/ lack of production. T Gip hasn’t suffered much from either, he’s always been in great shape, and 29 ain’t anywhere near 35.

Also, even if he’s gotten any slower it doesn’t matter too much because he’s playing safety.. not CB.

I’ll stick to my guns here. I think he’d be a great signing.

I would sign him in a heartbeat. We desperately need some veteran leadership in the secondary, and he's clearly better than any rookie we have and Wilson right now at FS. If he gets hurt again, hopefully he gives us at least a half a year to bridge to youth. Wilson is not the answer, that's for sure.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(04-28-2020, 10:38 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote:
(04-28-2020, 10:15 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Sure he is gonna take that  Laughing

He doesn’t have much of a choice if he still wants to play. Won’t get an offer most likely

Vet minimum is like 750k or something, so 1 mil isn't exactly a low ball offer for a guy that isn't elite and coming off injury.

I'd totally have him back at something like that.

I mean, they had to get that Tunsil money from SOMEWHERE. I'd bring him back. Get a respected vet presence in the secondary.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

(04-29-2020, 01:37 PM)NCJag Wrote: I mean, they had to get that Tunsil money from SOMEWHERE. I'd bring him back.  Get a respected vet presence in the secondary.

The Tunsil deal was O'Brien's worst move so far, even more so than Hopkins. Tunsil negotiated his new contract himself! A player out negotiated GM O'Brien. A decent but not great LT becomes the NFL's highest paid lineman by far. He had all the leverage given what Houston gave up for him.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(04-30-2020, 02:55 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(04-29-2020, 01:37 PM)NCJag Wrote: I mean, they had to get that Tunsil money from SOMEWHERE. I'd bring him back.  Get a respected vet presence in the secondary.

The Tunsil deal was O'Brien's worst move so far, even more so than Hopkins. Tunsil negotiated his new contract himself! A player out negotiated GM O'Brien. A decent but not great LT becomes the NFL's highest paid lineman by far. He had all the leverage given what Houston gave up for him.

I sure hope BoB destroys the tinhorn roster that has been a thorn in our side for too long.

Gipson has reportedly signed a one-year deal with the bears.

(05-03-2020, 11:37 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Gipson has reportedly signed a one-year deal with the bears.

Good for him. Hopefully he plays well and can earn a more long-term deal there/elsewhere

(05-03-2020, 01:31 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote:
(05-03-2020, 11:37 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Gipson has reportedly signed a one-year deal with the bears.

Good for him. Hopefully he plays well and can earn a more long-term deal there/elsewhere

He's 30.

There is no long term deal for him anywhere. This may be his last season.

(05-03-2020, 08:11 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-03-2020, 01:31 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Good for him. Hopefully he plays well and can earn a more long-term deal there/elsewhere

He's 30.

There is no long term deal for him anywhere. This may be his last season.

I said a more long-term deal.

His production has barely slowed down. There’s no reason that if he has a decent year with no injuries that he can’t get a 2-3 year deal at starting SS with a team. You don’t need speed to play strong safety, which is what I believe he’s playing for the Bears this year.

Its funny that Colvin and Gipson both signed big multi year deals with the Texans and they both lasted one season with Hou.