Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
TV Shows

I have seen a lot of mentions of "Trailer Park Boys". I have literally watched all seasons probably fifteen times. At this point, when I recommend this show to people and they start watching it I am almost jealous that they are going through it their first time. It's like me telling someone who's never listened to Metallica to listen to Metallica and they start their journey, I just can't imagine what that feels like to listen to such a beautiful sound for the first time, crazy to think that there are people in that position in this world.

This in my opinion is the best piece of humor that man has ever been blessed with. All of the characters, all of the small little bits of humor. As long as you can get past the fact the first six seasons are 4:3 SD you will absolutely love this show. I do have to warn that those first six seasons are by far the best of the series. Season 7 is ok but after Netflix rebooted the series beginning with season 8 it became a lot of cheap humor, some of the seasons and episodes were ok but it never matched that of the original.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-03-2020, 01:06 AM)Jagfan44 Wrote: I have seen a lot of mentions of "Trailer Park Boys". I have literally watched all seasons probably fifteen times. At this point, when I recommend this show to people and they start watching it I am almost jealous that they are going through it their first time. It's like me telling someone who's never listened to Metallica to listen to Metallica and they start their journey, I just can't imagine what that feels like to listen to such a beautiful sound for the first time, crazy to think that there are people in that position in this world.

This in my opinion is the best piece of humor that man has ever been blessed with. All of the characters, all of the small little bits of humor. As long as you can get past the fact the first six seasons are 4:3 SD you will absolutely love this show. I do have to warn that those first six seasons are by far the best of the series. Season 7 is ok but after Netflix rebooted the series beginning with season 8 it became a lot of cheap humor, some of the seasons and episodes were ok but it never matched that of the original.

I guess I'll have to try it again. Everyone is telling me how good it is. I watched the first episode and was so underwhelmed I gave up immediately. It felt like Adam Sandler-style humor which I can't stand. Maybe, hopefully, just a wrong first impression.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(05-03-2020, 08:15 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(05-03-2020, 01:06 AM)Jagfan44 Wrote: I have seen a lot of mentions of "Trailer Park Boys". I have literally watched all seasons probably fifteen times. At this point, when I recommend this show to people and they start watching it I am almost jealous that they are going through it their first time. It's like me telling someone who's never listened to Metallica to listen to Metallica and they start their journey, I just can't imagine what that feels like to listen to such a beautiful sound for the first time, crazy to think that there are people in that position in this world.

I guess I'll have to try it again. Everyone is telling me how good it is. I watched the first episode and was so underwhelmed I gave up immediately. It felt like Adam Sandler-style humor which I can't stand. Maybe, hopefully, just a wrong first impression.

Yeah, I have to admit I am a huge TPB fan but after a friend suggested the show I watched probably the first three seasons (the episodes are just over 20 minutes and there are less than 10 per season so it goes by quick), I thought the show was dumb at first. But once you get to know the characters and recognize all of the I don't know the word for this, but just the small humor here and there, it is absolutely hilarious. The characters are amazing, Lahey RIP is probably my favorite.

(This post was last modified: 05-04-2020, 08:50 AM by RicoTx.)

I know I'm way behind the times, but just finished Dexter and Breaking Bad.  Interesting how they developed both characters over the span of the show's.  Mich more so, Walter White.

In season one of Better Call Saul right now.  I'm just at the Point where they are starting to develop Mike's character.

Last episode I watched was the first one where Jimmy fabricated evidence to save the dorky baseball card collector/drug dealer's [BLEEP].  

Funny thing is, I didn't realize it was a prequel until I got into the first show.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(05-02-2020, 12:06 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(04-30-2020, 11:31 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I just finished episode two of Chernobyl (HBO series) and...... the end! Oh my goodness. Talk about a sobering scene. Dang.

I thoroughly enjoyed that series. I’m not sure what scene you’re alluding to, but the one of the concrete being poured over the coffins was absolutely stunning. The patterns in the fluid concrete as it was shown in slow motion flowing over the coffins, along with the music, was simply brilliant  cinematography and editing.

(05-02-2020, 10:34 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: No, no no no no no no.  

Cinnabon management happens after the Breaking Bad part of Jimmy's life.  If she gets whacked in Better Call Saul, then all the Breaking Bad stuff has to happen between her death and Jimmy going into Cinnabon management.

Exactly. I think it will be Kim’s death which causes Jimmy to shed any semblance of legitimacy.

What I want to know is why isn’t Tony Dalton a famous actor? That dude is good.
The end of episode two was showing the three divers going down into the reactor, into the water, because a sluice needed to be opened and the valves were in a very, very "hot spot". They were down there, the music is playing, you hear the radiation detector going nuts as the scene fades to black and you can still hear the guys in the water. 

Very. Freaking. Eerie. Whoever did the casting, music, cinematography, and editing did a superb job. I'd watch it again for sure. Oh, and the make-up for the radiation burns was fantastically cringeworthy. It was done using silicone. I watched a video where the make-up artist explained how he got the effect and how there was discussion on how much to show since it's a very hard thing to look at, even knowing it's fake, because it really did happen. 

I was 14 when it happened and remembered hearing the name Chernobyl and of course there was the Cold War freaking people out. It was very interesting to watch the what, how, when, who and where of it all and HBO did not phone it in.

I’ve got to agree with whoever said TV has gotten better. If you venture into the Netflix/Amazon/Hulu world there is some really good tv and documentaries out there. If you stick mostly to cable and satellite, it’s the same ole crap. Nothing original. Once my amazing deal from Dish is over in a year and a half (top package plus premium for 100/mo) , I will most like cancel. I do find myself heading over to Netflix more and more. I mean, as stupid as Tiger King was, I feell like I had to see that.

(05-05-2020, 05:55 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(05-02-2020, 12:06 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I thoroughly enjoyed that series. I’m not sure what scene you’re alluding to, but the one of the concrete being poured over the coffins was absolutely stunning. The patterns in the fluid concrete as it was shown in slow motion flowing over the coffins, along with the music, was simply brilliant  cinematography and editing.

Exactly. I think it will be Kim’s death which causes Jimmy to shed any semblance of legitimacy.

What I want to know is why isn’t Tony Dalton a famous actor? That dude is good.
The end of episode two was showing the three divers going down into the reactor, into the water, because a sluice needed to be opened and the valves were in a very, very "hot spot". They were down there, the music is playing, you hear the radiation detector going nuts as the scene fades to black and you can still hear the guys in the water. 

Very. Freaking. Eerie. Whoever did the casting, music, cinematography, and editing did a superb job. I'd watch it again for sure. Oh, and the make-up for the radiation burns was fantastically cringeworthy. It was done using silicone. I watched a video where the make-up artist explained how he got the effect and how there was discussion on how much to show since it's a very hard thing to look at, even knowing it's fake, because it really did happen. 

I was 14 when it happened and remembered hearing the name Chernobyl and of course there was the Cold War freaking people out. It was very interesting to watch the what, how, when, who and where of it all and HBO did not phone it in.

They certainly didn't. I read an article which interviewed Russian emigres who lived in the Soviet Union during that time and had watched the series. They were amazed at the attention to detail, from clothing styles, automobiles, interior designs, to turns of phrases "not great, not terrible" which beautifully encapsulated Soviet bureaucracy and its avoidance of accountability.  

Gathering from the accents of the actors, it was a British production. They did a fine job. Hats off to the actor who played the lead coal miner and his willingness to do a full nude frontal while walking towards the camera. That had to have been awkward as hell to shoot.

(05-05-2020, 07:18 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(05-05-2020, 05:55 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: The end of episode two was showing the three divers going down into the reactor, into the water, because a sluice needed to be opened and the valves were in a very, very "hot spot". They were down there, the music is playing, you hear the radiation detector going nuts as the scene fades to black and you can still hear the guys in the water. 

They certainly didn't. I read an article which interviewed Russian emigres who lived in the Soviet Union during that time and had watched the series. They were amazed at the attention to detail, from clothing styles, automobiles, interior designs, to turns of phrases "not great, not terrible" which beautifully encapsulated Soviet bureaucracy and its avoidance of accountability.  

Gathering from the accents of the actors, it was a British production. They did a fine job. Hats off to the actor who played the lead coal miner and his willingness to do a full nude frontal while walking towards the camera. That had to have been awkward as hell to shoot.

Yeah, that dude had balls to film that, no pun intended. Lol. Some folks have no inhibitions, especially Europeans. I learned that while living in Germany. 

Something the writer shared at the end of the series finale was in the real court, Dyatlov said, "I will not say I am guilty, but I cannot say that I'm not." Total cop-out! That dude was a piece of work. The actor made me hate him so very much which means he did his job. 

Also, the actors where supposed to speak in Russian accents but when they were casting the parts and asking the actors to use the accent it just didn't go over well and was too distracting so they were told to just speak with their regular accents.

For
The “Trailer Park Boys” post...

I have seen a few episodes. It’s funny. It’s odd. But I think I screwed up watching Letterkenny first. After watching it, I
Judged TPB off that. Between learning characters and such I couldn’t get into it
But. I’ll give it another shot.

Just finished The Reckoning on Netflix. Not terrible, a couple of good performances, most notably from Aden Young. He can play introspective creepy with the best of them. I just can't buy the premise, which I can't divulge because of spoilers.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Have binged Upload, Little Fires Everywhere and Ozark.... recommend all of them.

(05-09-2020, 09:34 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Have binged Upload, Little Fires Everywhere and Ozark.... recommend all of them.

Little Fires Everywhere was jacked. It was a good story but there was no one to like, which I usually don't care about that, but everyone was so messed up. I guess I felt bad for the husband and all the kids at the end of it. 

Evidently Reese either likes, or is just really good at playing that type of character because she plays a similar one in Big Little Lies.

Not a TV show, but a movie we saw on Netflix. It was the Molly Bloom story. I didn’t know who she was to begin with, but it was fascinating on multiple levels. Bad [BLEEP] and smart as a tack woman.

(05-11-2020, 06:02 PM)Jags Wrote: Not a TV show, but a movie we saw on Netflix.  It was the Molly Bloom story.   I didn’t know who she was to begin with, but it was fascinating on multiple levels.  Bad [BLEEP] and smart as a tack woman.

The Battered Bastards of Baseball documentary on Netflix was excellent.  It was definitely worth 90 minutes of my time.  My wife even enjoyed it and she's in no way, shape, or form a baseball fan.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 05-14-2020, 04:54 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

My wife and I are bingeing on Kim's Convenience.  It's a comedy set in Toronto about a South Korean family running a convenient store.  Very light and easy to drink too.

Also, just watched Fury, The Irishman, The Heartbreak Kid, Murder Mystery, and Moonlight.

We watched the first 2 episodes of The Handmaid's Tale, and I think it's just too dark for us.

We binged McMillions on HBO. That was pretty good.

(05-14-2020, 05:33 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: We watched the first 2 episodes of The Handmaid's Tale, and I think it's just too dark for us.  

We binged McMillions on HBO.  That was pretty good.

The Handmaid's Tale is dark. And creepy. Not my thing to see women subjected to what they were. The woman who wrote the book was a twisted person IMO.

I binged Waco in 2 days. If it was anywhere close to an accurate depiction of events, man what a cluster [BLEEP] that was.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(05-14-2020, 10:53 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(05-14-2020, 05:33 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: We watched the first 2 episodes of The Handmaid's Tale, and I think it's just too dark for us.  

We binged McMillions on HBO.  That was pretty good.

The Handmaid's Tale is dark. And creepy. Not my thing to see women subjected to what they were. The woman who wrote the book was a twisted person IMO.

I watched it. First season was very well done. Subsequent seasons have gotten a bit repetitive but that's the nature of it when you run out of the source material (the book). I think the subjugation of women is just one aspect of the world of Gilead (although the one that's front and center in the show) and the whole story is a commentary on the dangers of totalitarianism for any reason. 

Agreed, very dark.

We watched McMillions too, crazy.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(05-15-2020, 01:42 PM)rollerjag Wrote: I binged Waco in 2 days. If it was anywhere close to an accurate depiction of events, man what a cluster [BLEEP] that was.

I was stationed in San Antonio, TX when that happened and remember hearing snippets about it on the news. I never heard the story until years later. I've watched the first two episodes. Taylor Kitsch is killing it as David Koresh.