Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Minshew Not The Man

(This post was last modified: 10-04-2020, 08:25 PM by Corriewf.)

I love Minshew, I do. His personality is absolutely fantastic..... I want/wanted him to be the guy, but I’m getting very bad vibes here. 

I was really looking for progression in his second year and I’m not seeing it. 

The last two games I’ve seen what looks like the version of Shew we got in the Texans London game last year. He is holding the ball for way too long! I don’t know if he’s worried about his incomplete stats or forcing a play, but he’s playing WAY to conservative. No o-line can create a pocket long enough for him to finally decide to throw it. Consistently he seems to miss his reads, or decide his target is covered and panic. When he does decide to throw I’m seeing weak passes that are either over/under thrown or too lofty. The receivers look like they are constantly having to adjust to catch the ball. It seems like whatever causes him to lose his cool, once it’s gone...it’s gone the whole game. 

Hate to say it- but I think he’s a really really good back up qb that any team should want, but not the guy. 

Last year we thought it was the o-line causing a lot of the issues with 4nette and Minshew..maybe it’s 4nette and Minshew...don’t get me wrong, o-line wasn’t good...but maybe these guys weren’t either...

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Chicken or egg question don’t care let the new GM we have next year figure it out. If Caldwells still here it won’t matter anyways.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Have you seen our WRs recently? There's literally no one open on most plays. There was one today where Minshew danced around for a while and then tried to run and they showed the coverage on the replay. Even after 4-5 seconds of dancing around NO ONE was open. Eifert made literally zero effort on the int early.

I'll say at this point I don't think it's all on Minshew. He hasn't played amazing, but he hasn't been bad. He's been in double digits deficits, with questionable play calling, and zero help from his supporting cast.

(10-04-2020, 08:26 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Have you seen our WRs recently? There's literally no one open on most plays. There was one today where Minshew danced around for a while and then tried to run and they showed the coverage on the replay. Even after 4-5 seconds of dancing around NO ONE was open. Eifert made literally zero effort on the int early.

I'll say at this point I don't think it's all on Minshew. He hasn't played amazing, but he hasn't been bad. He's been in double digits deficits, with questionable play calling, and zero help from his supporting cast.

I watched...a good QB takes the risk and threads the needle.. I watched Burrow throw into single/double coverage with dime balls. Sometimes you have to say eff it and make the throw. We were playing one of the worst defenses in the league this week and last. 

I’ve actually noticed our receivers making Minshew look better by making fantastic adjustments to over/under thrown passes.

(10-04-2020, 08:26 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Have you seen our WRs recently? There's literally no one open on most plays. There was one today where Minshew danced around for a while and then tried to run and they showed the coverage on the replay. Even after 4-5 seconds of dancing around NO ONE was open. Eifert made literally zero effort on the int early.

I agree that it’s not all on Minshew, but the reason why no one is open is because he waits to long and panics in the pocket. I’ve watched other qbs and you can tell the difference. Minshew isn’t bad but he does need to improve on getting rid of the ball faster.
I feel bad for the browns…

(10-04-2020, 08:29 PM)Corriewf Wrote:

I watched...a good QB takes the risk and threads the needle.. I watched Burrow throw into single/double coverage with dime balls. Sometimes you have to say eff it and make the throw. We were playing one of the worst defenses in the league this week and last. 

I’ve actually noticed our receivers making Minshew look better by making fantastic adjustments to over/under thrown passes.
Or pad some passing stats with YAC. I agree with what you are saying. I don’t want to admit it sometimes cause minshew is such a likable dude. But I don’t think it is on the play calling. I think that if he makes no mistakes, then he is as good as anyone. But if he gets shook, he crumbles. Against the colts he was literally one pass off of being perfect, so we didn’t see the shook shew.

I hope I’m wrong but it’s looking more like week one was a outlier and not the norm.

(This post was last modified: 10-04-2020, 09:04 PM by mikesez.)

I still think he's a guy who can play a great game, where he hits all his marks, about 50% of the time.
He's played two games where he hit all of his marks, and two where he hit none of them.
Unfortunately the team lost one of those two games where he was good.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

It doesn't matter who the QB is with the clowns we have in the front office and coaching staff.

He's too short to see over the lineman and the football doesn't zing across the TV screen.

(10-04-2020, 08:38 PM)mikesez Wrote: I still think he's a guy who can play a great game, where he hits all his marks, about 50% of the time.
He's played two games where he hit all of his marks, and two where he hit none of them.
Unfortunately he lost one of those two games where he was good.

I think every GREAT team needs a back up QB that can compete and get their team into the playoffs. I could see Minshew being a Nick Foles type guy. He can come in and ball out... but he can’t carry a team like a franchise QB. 

And yes, I’m not saying drafting a franchise QB solves our problems. Our defense is atrocious.....

Minshew has made too many bad throws the last couple of weeks.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(This post was last modified: 10-04-2020, 08:47 PM by Eric1.)

This Offense is good enough to win games. That's not the issue.

This Defense is the problem. It's hilariously bad. They've given up an average of 400 yards and 33 points in the past 3 games.. Two of which were against winless teams. It's not going to matter who the QB is. You're not going to win much of any games with a Defense this bad.

(10-04-2020, 08:45 PM)Eric1 Wrote: This Offense is good enough to win games. That's not the issue.

This Defense is the problem. It's hilariously bad. They've given up an average of 400 yards and 33 points in the past 3 games.. Two of which were against winless teams. It's not going to matter who the QB is. You're not going to win much of any games with a Defense this bad.

This

(10-04-2020, 08:45 PM)Eric1 Wrote: This Offense is good enough to win games. That's not the issue.

Not that I completely disagree bud, but were the last two games shoot outs? We made the last two teams look like top tier defenses and they were bottom tier.

Remember the game with the high and mighty Dolphins? I try not to, but Minshew was shook. Many incompletions, 4 sacks, and many disappointing passes to Conley. Our Defense was defenseless.... that’s how I’ll put it
I feel bad for the browns…

(10-04-2020, 09:00 PM)FabianLF Wrote:

Remember the game with the high and mighty Dolphins? I try not to, but Minshew was shook. Many incompletions, 4 sacks, and many disappointing passes to Conley. Our Defense was defenseless.... that’s how I’ll put it

That blame all goes on Conley... He single handily stalled/killed 3 drives. The Offensive play calling was pretty bad that game as well. We all seen it and Gruden even said as much.

In his 16th start in the NFL he throws over 350 yards, 2 TDs, 68% completion rate and a QR over 100.

We put up 429 yards of offense and scored 25 points. We had the lead at halftime.

We chose to receive after the coin toss so the Bengals get the ball first in the second half and they proceed to march right down the field for a TD. They follow that up by continuing to score on every single possession in the second half except for the victory formation final possession.

Minshew is the least of this team's problems.

(10-04-2020, 09:35 PM)Predator Wrote: In his 16th start in the NFL he throws over 350 yards, 2 TDs, 68% completion rate and a QR over 100.

We put up 429 yards of offense and scored 25 points. We had the lead at halftime.

We chose to receive after the coin toss so the Bengals get the ball first in the second half and they proceed to march right down the field for a TD. They follow that up by continuing to score on every single possession in the second half except for the victory formation final possession.

Minshew is the least of this team's problems.

I hear ya, but statistics don’t tell the whole story. Look at Bortles numbers from 2015-2017.... If you watched the game closely you could see Minshew looked panicked the entire game.

(10-04-2020, 08:48 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

This

Me 3.

Minshew didn't look good today, but he didn't look bad. Let's see how the rest of the season unfolds before we write him off. I'm sticking to my prediction that he will be our franchise QB. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But I have hope.

(10-04-2020, 08:48 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

This

Double This
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption