Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Don't kick Gardner Minshew to curb in draft

Minshew has proven to be what he is... a 6th round pick. He isn’t the future, he isn’t even the present. There is zero chance that he should be starting next year

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-11-2020, 01:50 AM)MJonesD_32 Wrote: I want to seriously punch everyone of you who think drafting Lawrence and just kicking Minshew to the curb is a smart move. Let's build a [BLEEP] team before we start casting off players who are actually decent to good... this makes no sense.

You dont pass up generational or franchise QB... yes i hear it, and understand. 

I think we need a pass rusher, OLINEMAN and CB's before we draft Minshew's replacement. Let's give the guy 2 years before we make this stupid rant.. jesus.

I can't agree with you more.  We have MANY issues that need addressed before QB.

(10-11-2020, 04:18 PM)JaguarWC Wrote:
(10-11-2020, 01:50 AM)MJonesD_32 Wrote: I want to seriously punch everyone of you who think drafting Lawrence and just kicking Minshew to the curb is a smart move. Let's build a [BLEEP] team before we start casting off players who are actually decent to good... this makes no sense.

You dont pass up generational or franchise QB... yes i hear it, and understand. 

I think we need a pass rusher, OLINEMAN and CB's before we draft Minshew's replacement. Let's give the guy 2 years before we make this stupid rant.. jesus.

I can't agree with you more.  We have MANY issues that need addressed before QB.

Because QB is the less important position? LOL
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(10-11-2020, 04:19 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(10-11-2020, 04:18 PM)JaguarWC Wrote: I can't agree with you more.  We have MANY issues that need addressed before QB.

QB and a D-lineman with our 2 first rounders.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

(10-11-2020, 04:19 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(10-11-2020, 04:18 PM)JaguarWC Wrote: I can't agree with you more.  We have MANY issues that need addressed before QB.

you put a rookie quarterback on this team he's going to get annihilated...who are you kidding... how many quarterbacks have been drafted in the first round these past few years to crappy teams?how are they doing right now?

(10-11-2020, 04:53 PM)nejagsfan Wrote:
(10-11-2020, 04:19 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Because QB is the less important position? LOL

you put a rookie quarterback on this team he's going to get annihilated...who are you kidding... how many quarterbacks have been drafted in the first round these past few years to crappy teams?how are they doing right now?

This

(10-11-2020, 04:10 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: It doesn't matter what happens - if Caldwell is picking we're going to whiff just like we have on almost every other 1st round pick.  And with Marrone coaching, whoever is drafted is never going to develop.  

Until you fix those 2 things, everything else is a moot point.

If Caldwell picks Lawrence he will end up being a bust #becausejaguars and no other reason. Any other GM, any other coach, any other team and he'll be on fire but if he's tainted by Caldwell and Company.....

(10-11-2020, 04:19 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Because QB is the less important position? LOL

So you pass on a franchise QB because of that? hahahaha sure buddy.

Depends on a lot of things but you can keep the rookie on the bench the first year, it did good to Rodgers and Mahomes.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(This post was last modified: 10-11-2020, 05:00 PM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

you put a rookie quarterback on this team he's going to get annihilated...who are you kidding... how many quarterbacks have been drafted in the first round these past few years to crappy teams? how are they doing right now?

Better than we are. And at least they are building to something. We already lost to Cincy this year, and they will be WAY ahead of us next season. Ditto Miami.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

(10-11-2020, 04:58 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(10-11-2020, 04:53 PM)nejagsfan Wrote: you put a rookie quarterback on this team he's going to get annihilated...who are you kidding... how many quarterbacks have been drafted in the first round these past few years to crappy teams? how are they doing right now?

Better than we are.  And at least they are building to something.  We already lost to Cincy this year, and they will be WAY ahead of us next season.  Ditto Miami.

Bingo

(10-11-2020, 05:05 PM)Corriewf Wrote:
(10-11-2020, 04:58 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: Better than we are.  And at least they are building to something.  We already lost to Cincy this year, and they will be WAY ahead of us next season.  Ditto Miami.

Bingo

And the Chargers too.

(This post was last modified: 10-11-2020, 05:09 PM by nejagsfan.)

(10-11-2020, 04:58 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(10-11-2020, 04:53 PM)nejagsfan Wrote: you put a rookie quarterback on this team he's going to get annihilated...who are you kidding... how many quarterbacks have been drafted in the first round these past few years to crappy teams? how are they doing right now?

Better than we are.  And at least they are building to something.  We already lost to Cincy this year, and they will be WAY ahead of us next season.  Ditto Miami.

you just proved my point Cincinnati is horrible... they hadn't won a game until they played us... which means we are even worse... the number one pick is not going to fix our problems.... how's The Jets quarterback doing... or how about the Cardinals.. oh wait that guy lasted a year... how are the Giants doing.... you put a first round quarterback on a s***** [BLEEP] team He's going to fail... how many quarterbacks has Cleveland gone through... they finally got a quarterback but they packed the team with other great players... and guess what they changed management...I would honestly say minshew is up there with Mayfield but you got to have a team around him.... now I'm not saying we shouldn't go for a quarterback if we can get him... but if think that's the answer to all our problems... not a chance.... I would say if we had minshew back in 2017 we might have won a super bowl...

(10-11-2020, 05:07 PM)nejagsfan Wrote:
(10-11-2020, 04:58 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: Better than we are.  And at least they are building to something.  We already lost to Cincy this year, and they will be WAY ahead of us next season.  Ditto Miami.

you just proved my point Cincinnati is horrible... they hadn't won a game until they played us... which means we are even worse... the number one pick is not going to fix our problems.... how's The Jets quarterback doing... or how about the Cardinals.. oh wait that guy lasted a year... how are the Giants doing.... you put a first round quarterback on a s***** [BLEEP] team He's going to fail... how many quarterbacks has Cleveland gone through... they finally got a quarterback but they packed the team with other great players... and guess what they changed management...I would honestly say minshew is up there with Mayfield but you got to have a team around him.... now I'm not saying we shouldn't go for a quarterback if we can get him... but to think that that's the answer to all our problems not a chance.... I would say if we had minshew back in 2017 we might have won a super bowl...

Who is saying that? we all know this team needs a lot of help but having a QB is the most important thing, period. If you have the chance to get one you don't pass on it.

(10-11-2020, 05:07 PM)nejagsfan Wrote:

you just proved my point Cincinnati is horrible... they hadn't won a game until they played us... which means we are even worse... the number one pick is not going to fix our problems.... how's The Jets quarterback doing... or how about the Cardinals.. oh wait that guy lasted a year... how are the Giants doing.... you put a first round quarterback on a s***** [BLEEP] team He's going to fail... how many quarterbacks has Cleveland gone through... they finally got a quarterback but they packed the team with other great players... and guess what they changed management...I would honestly say minshew is up there with Mayfield but you got to have a team around him.... now I'm not saying we shouldn't go for a quarterback if we can get him... but if think that's the answer to all our problems... not a chance.... I would say if we had minshew back in 2017 we might have won a super bowl...

You need to wrap your head around the fact that this roster is so bad, it will be a long-term rebuild.  You need an elite QB to win a championship.  Every week it becomes more clear we do not have that.  You are quite emotional thinking otherwise, and it is clearly clouding your logic and judgements.  Next year is going to look a lot like Cincy this year, or Indy when Peyton Manning got there.  You need the QB first, then get building the rest.  We have 2 first round picks next year... it would be insane NOT to address that next year with our new GM.

(10-11-2020, 05:11 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(10-11-2020, 05:07 PM)nejagsfan Wrote: you just proved my point Cincinnati is horrible... they hadn't won a game until they played us... which means we are even worse... the number one pick is not going to fix our problems.... how's The Jets quarterback doing... or how about the Cardinals.. oh wait that guy lasted a year... how are the Giants doing.... you put a first round quarterback on a s***** [BLEEP] team He's going to fail... how many quarterbacks has Cleveland gone through... they finally got a quarterback but they packed the team with other great players... and guess what they changed management...I would honestly say minshew is up there with Mayfield but you got to have a team around him.... now I'm not saying we shouldn't go for a quarterback if we can get him... but to think that that's the answer to all our problems not a chance.... I would say if we had minshew back in 2017 we might have won a super bowl...

Who is saying that? we all know this team needs a lot of help but having a QB is the most important thing, period. If you have the chance to get one you don't pass on it.

I'm not saying that you definitely take him... I'm talking about all the people that are saying that minshew is horrible... I think he's way better than what we have seen in the past couple of weeks... and all of a sudden the people are coming out of the woodwork bashing him... I'm saying in this situation it ain't minshew that is the problem

(This post was last modified: 10-11-2020, 05:35 PM by Minshew Mania.)

You pick the best available player, regardless of position. I firmly believe that. I think Minshew is Franchise caliber, but if Trevor Lawrence is on the board and he's the best available, you grab him. You can always trade players around.

Alternative is you trade back, which honestly this team could use even more picks, lol.

(This post was last modified: 10-11-2020, 05:37 PM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(10-11-2020, 05:27 PM)nejagsfan Wrote:
(10-11-2020, 05:11 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Who is saying that? we all know this team needs a lot of help but having a QB is the most important thing, period. If you have the chance to get one you don't pass on it.

I'm not saying that you definitely take him... I'm talking about all the people that are saying that minshew is horrible... I think he's way better than what we have seen in the past couple of weeks... and all of a sudden the people are coming out of the woodwork bashing him... I'm saying in this situation it ain't minshew that is the problem

The flipside of your opinion is that the last 3 weeks IS who Minshew is, and the first 2 weeks were something else.  Who is saying he is horrible?  Literally no one.  But if you think he is an elite franchise quarterback, there is nothing to suggest that from his play.  Most of his passing yards have been check down passes with yards-after-catch by receivers playing against soft zones because we are already down a lot due to our horrid defense.  Watch the games, not the stat line.  I like him as a 6th round pick, but its becoming clearer each week that he is not the long-term answer.

(10-11-2020, 05:11 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Who is saying that? we all know this team needs a lot of help but having a QB is the most important thing, period. If you have the chance to get one you don't pass on it.

Just because you are not the problem doesn’t mean you are the solution either. There are many problems, but QB is the only one that typically requires a high first round pick to solve. It is what it is...

(This post was last modified: 10-11-2020, 05:37 PM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(10-11-2020, 05:34 PM)Minshew Mania Wrote: You pick the best available player, regardless of position. I firmly believe that. I think Minshew is Franchise caliber, but if Trevor Lawrence is on the board and he's the best available, you grab him. You can always trade players around.

Alternative is you trade back, which honestly this team could use even more picks, lol.

I do not agree Minshew is a franchise QB, but I agree with what you are saying otherwise.

He is not though. Minshew had a solid game for his standard, 2 TDs and no INT. Fumble was bad but other than that this was pretty much what you will get from Minshew. High Completion Percentage and fairly accurate in the Red Zone. The Problem is, this game showed that he can't throw it deep, his balls sail and are under thrown. Burrow and Herbert have shown that they can hit Receivers in stride on 50 yarders, Minshew basically under threw Conley and he had to go back and get it. Same thing on the last drive, Minshew missed both throws to Cole. He is an amazing BU QB, maybe a starter for rebuilding teams that don't have their QB yet or want to wait a year for them to mature. But he isn't a franchise QB, and if you look at how the NFL works, a franchise QB is what you need to win it all.