Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Urban Meyer Hired. It's official!

(01-15-2021, 09:39 AM)Mandeezee Wrote:
(01-15-2021, 08:29 AM)RicoTx Wrote: What an [BLEEP].

Sincerely,
An actual fan who understands hiring a 'name' with no NFL coaching experience is a huge risk

Will you be so kind as to express why you're the only one who has concern of Urban having no NFL experience? And then expound into why Shad who actually knows him, doesn't seem to have a problem with that?

Afterwards can you give us the superior candidates you preferred...

Thank you in advance!

A very poor way to try to twist my words.  You aren't very good at it.  But thanks for reinforcing my point.

And because Shad knows him that's a good reason?  Lol.  So you're saying Khan is a brilliant footbal mind?  Wow.

No.  Aside from all that I take issue with your assertion that everyone that doesn't agree with the hire is in the stone ages when you, yourself, say there is a valid concern.

Read slowly.  Maybe it will sink in.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

First Interview with Urban

https://www.facebook.com/jacksonvillejag...238348501/

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2021, 09:51 AM by NH3.)

The hiring of our New HC is complete. Thankkkkkkkk Ya! Welcome to Jax. Mr. Meyer. Now whom will you be relying on to assist you in the DC and OC positions? Hmmmm. I'm asking for a friend.

Time Will Tell.

NH3.
"AZANE"

He’s looking at Raheem Morris for DC.

Like.

To inform some, and remind others:

A great manager is a great manager. No matter what industry you transfer them too. Because their skillset is building a winning culture and achieving the owner(s) vision.

They don't have to know how to actually flip the burgers, or how to close loans, or how many cc in that syringe, or how to complete the form for ____. That's not their job. Their job is to hire people who do! And then to manage those people.

Urban has a proven record in football of delivering a winning product.

***as I type this I'm hearing a statement from Urban and he made a statement that he's going to go hire people he believe will bring a winning culture to Jacksonville***

(01-15-2021, 09:54 AM)Mandeezee Wrote: To inform some, and remind others:

A great manager is a great manager. No matter what industry you transfer them too. Because their skillset is building a winning culture and achieving the owner(s) vision.

They don't have to know how to actually flip the burgers, or how to close loans, or how many cc in that syringe, or how to complete the form for ____. That's not their job. Their job is to hire people who do! And then to manage those people.

***as I type this I'm hearing a statement from Urban and he made a statement that he's going to go hire people he believe will bring a winning culture to Jacksonville***

Urban has always hired good staffs. He knows he can not do it all on his own. I am not worried about him building a staff, I worry about player management now that he can't treat pro players like he did his college players. That is my only major concern with this hire other than how long he actually stays here of course.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(01-15-2021, 09:46 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-15-2021, 09:39 AM)Mandeezee Wrote: Will you be so kind as to express why you're the only one who has concern of Urban having no NFL experience? And then expound into why Shad who actually knows him, doesn't seem to have a problem with that?

Afterwards can you give us the superior candidates you preferred...

Thank you in advance!

A very poor way to try to twist my words.  You aren't very good at it.  But thanks for reinforcing my point.

And because Shad knows him that's a good reason?  Lol.  So you're saying Khan is a brilliant footbal mind?  Wow.

No.  Aside from all that I take issue with your assertion that everyone that doesn't agree with the hire is in the stone ages when you, yourself, say there is a valid concern.

Read slowly.  Maybe it will sink in.

Well thing is, whatever we THINK we know about these players and coaches, people who are actually in those circles know them better.

Whoever your primary choice was for HC, whatever Coordinator you think is a better hire...for all we know he is an introvert with a stuttering mush mouth. Has no ability to build a culture! He's just good with Xs and Os as a introvert would be.

And yes your mentality of "no NFL experience" is outdated. Teams are hiring civilian analyst for GM positions. They're on the way to hiring persons from other sports and etc.

Honestly, what's happening is the "good ol boy" closed fraternity of the NFL us falling away. And some do not wish to see that.

(01-14-2021, 09:49 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: I do not think the GM matters. This will be Meyers team.
+1

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

(01-15-2021, 01:22 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(01-14-2021, 09:49 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: I do not think the GM matters. This will be Meyers team.

Agree with this. GM and Meyer will work together, but Meyer will have the final say.

(01-14-2021, 10:02 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: Im staying optimistic at best. No one roots to fail.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

As a Gator Fan, im pretty sure he is top 3 in our most hated coaches list. Yay championship, boo disaster he swept under the rug we unearthed when he quit on us.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalkwon since Meyer left?

Um...how many national titles has Florida won since Meyer left? Oh yeah, none. Gator fans, LOL

I know assuming is wrong at times, but ill just assume you didnt read the line about him leaving after he ran the program through the mud. Hell we just got back right since he left us to hell. nevermind u got it

Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

I'm praying we hire Fontenot for GM. I know a lot of people are thinking it's Baalke, but if it were him, wouldn't he already be hired and announced at the same time as Meyer? He's already an employee of the team, so I would've assumed if we wanted him, they would've announced both hirings at the same time, wouldn't they?

I feel Urban is the best available hire as Bellichick isn't available.

Besides that guy, I feel as though all the other coaches and GMs are just guys. They have some good seasons, some bad seasons. Some good drafts, some bad drafts.

It's easy to look like a good Coordinator when you have Josh Allen or Mahomes! It doesn't mean you can coach (manage) an entire 53 man roster and maintain relationships with all of your staff.

Most coordinators are better at being a coordinator than a HC.

Anyone know the availability of his daughter Gigi?

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2021, 10:22 AM by Brett.)

https://twitter.com/Jaguars/status/1350074511492866048

(01-15-2021, 10:10 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Anyone know the availability of his daughter Gigi?

I am more interested in the availability of Khan's daughter, lol.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(01-15-2021, 09:39 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-15-2021, 09:23 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: My point in bringing up the previous coaches is that at the time, they were sought after coordinators (except Marrone). So great coaches can come from everywhere.

I absolutely agree it’s a valid concern. He has no NFL experience and that should give people reservations. However, Urban seems like a front runner and he clearly sees something he likes in Jacksonville. Trevor, some talented WRs (sign AROB please), 4 top 50 picks and 100 mill in cap space.

He wasn’t my top choice but this team needs a program builder. A complete culture change and he seems like he’s done that everywhere.

I'm not disagreeing with you.  I take issue with the idiot poster I replied to for his blanket remark.

I just don't have the warm fuzzies about this hiring.  I think it wreaks of a Coughlin TYPE of hiring.  A well-known name in Jacksonville, which I think was the main reason Coughlin was brought in.

Hopefully it works out.  What choice do I/we have but to sit and wait.  I just hope they didn't piss this opportunity away.
exxxxxxxxactly

Season Tix, Section 409

(01-15-2021, 09:59 AM)Dimson Wrote:
(01-15-2021, 09:54 AM)Mandeezee Wrote: To inform some, and remind others:

Urban has always hired good staffs. He knows he can not do it all on his own. I am not worried about him building a staff, I worry about player management now that he can't treat pro players like he did his college players. That is my only major concern with this hire other than how long he actually stays here of course.

I mean to be honest...there's not too much difference. I promise lol.

The one glaring difference is that you don't have to worry about sliding your player a few hundred to buy a pair of sneakers he really want.

Until most players get in their 30s, and are married with a family....I'm sorry to say but their mentality doesn't change much from their college days lol. Except they now have money.

Still the same goofy, entitled, mostly immature guys, they've been since pop Warner.

If you've ever had a chance to be around college and professional players, you know that the talk of Michael Irving, etc., about "You're now dealing with a grown MAN" is all cap. They're the same except for the paycheck and not on campus.

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2021, 10:26 AM by SeldomRite.)

When the Jaguars announced the hire the national media probably heaved a sigh of relief.

A great coaching hire could have helped catapult the Jaguars into Green Bay/Pittsburgh territory (small market that's now going to always have a team and will sell merchandise to people that don't live there). But now it's more likely the story in a few years will be about how the Jaguars blew it, and how Trevor was wasted in a place like Jacksonville. The national media will love that.

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2021, 10:23 AM by Kane.)

(01-15-2021, 09:52 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: He’s looking at Raheem Morris for DC.

Like.

I think if he brings enough guys with NFL experience in around him I'll warm up to Urb as HC a little more.

There's still the health concerns and cut and run stuff that will always linger, but if he assembles a solid staff with guys like Morris and a Schwartz-like DC (I think Jim said he's retiring or taking a few years off or something) that would ease my mind about his lack of experience at this level.

(01-15-2021, 10:09 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I'm praying we hire Fontenot for GM. I know a lot of people are thinking it's Baalke, but if it were him, wouldn't he already be hired and announced at the same time as Meyer? He's already an employee of the team, so I would've assumed if we wanted him, they would've announced both hirings at the same time, wouldn't they?

Pretty sure he's locked into ATL. Just waiting on the Saints to finish their season.

(01-15-2021, 09:26 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: If Urban Meyer's wife doesn't want him to coach, he can always divorce her and marry Jeff Prosser. Oy vey, you should hear him on the radio this morning.

When I hear his voice I start looking for a rusty ice pick to cram into my eardrums.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2021, 10:30 AM by JagsFansince1995.)

(01-15-2021, 10:21 AM)Mandeezee Wrote:
(01-15-2021, 09:59 AM)Dimson Wrote: Urban has always hired good staffs. He knows he can not do it all on his own. I am not worried about him building a staff, I worry about player management now that he can't treat pro players like he did his college players. That is my only major concern with this hire other than how long he actually stays here of course.

I mean to be honest...there's not too much difference. I promise lol.

The one glaring difference is that you don't have to worry about sliding your player a few hundred to buy a pair of sneakers he really want.

Until most players get in their 30s, and are married with a family....I'm sorry to say but their mentality doesn't change much from their college days lol. Except they now have money.

Still the same goofy, entitled, mostly immature guys, they've been since pop Warner.

If you've ever had a chance to be around college and professional players, you know that the talk of Michael Irving, etc., about "You're now dealing with a grown MAN" is all cap. They're the same except for the paycheck and not on campus.
I get u love the guy as HC, i really do. Can you please stop comparing college accolades with NFL ones tho. I mean, at least my choices in Eric B and Saleh have proven something at this level. Urb is still wait an see. Just hope for all our sake, he at least gives us Chip Kelly success in yr 1 an 2 if anything. Maybe do a little research about college coaches records when coming to the NFL. Its not as 2020 as you think and has been tried plenty before with the same optimism instead of going with proven success at this level.

Season Tix, Section 409