Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ode to "let's talk about" ll

So who's buying lottery tickets for tomorrow and Saturday? I'll get five quick picks for each. My astrologer says it a sure thing!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-14-2021, 09:23 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: So who's buying lottery tickets for tomorrow and Saturday? I'll get five quick picks for each. My astrologer says it a sure thing!

I was already content with the current jackpot, but I'll gladly accept your contribution to my winnings.  As a special show of thanks, I'll drive by your house and let you take a selfie in my new Corvette.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

We bought tickets since my wife insisted. Idk why though. As if hitting it for 750m is going to change our lives more than hitting it for 60m.

(01-14-2021, 10:14 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(01-14-2021, 09:23 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: So who's buying lottery tickets for tomorrow and Saturday? I'll get five quick picks for each. My astrologer says it a sure thing!

I was already content with the current jackpot, but I'll gladly accept your contribution to my winnings.  As a special show of thanks, I'll drive by your house and let you take a selfie in my new Corvette.

Sure, for a small fee, of course.

(01-14-2021, 01:55 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-14-2021, 10:14 AM)Sneakers Wrote: I was already content with the current jackpot, but I'll gladly accept your contribution to my winnings.  As a special show of thanks, I'll drive by your house and let you take a selfie in my new Corvette.

Sure, for a small fee, of course.

Well, naturally I'm looking for a donation to my Foundation, plus a small upcharge if you want me in the picture with you  But don't worry, I'll find a good community cause for the money (after deducting expenses and a modest management salary).  There is a signing fee if you want a printed copy, but we're running a special on multiple copies and they make great gifts.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2021, 08:31 PM by Jags.)

If y’all need money, I’m hiring. Don’t waste your money on the lottery

(01-14-2021, 08:30 PM)Jags Wrote: If y’all need money, I’m hiring. Don’t waste your money on the lottery

Can I telecommute from TX?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(01-14-2021, 08:41 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-14-2021, 08:30 PM)Jags Wrote: If y’all need money, I’m hiring. Don’t waste your money on the lottery

Can I telecommute from TX?

As long as the grass is shorter afterwards I’m good.   But I won’t pay you six figures.  So you may want to keep your day job.

I replaced my phone due to damage of my previous phone. The iPhone 12 pro max... holy cow the pics it takes. I’m not a photographer and my wife even [BLEEP] at me for my bad photos. But these are fantastic. Even night pics of the moon look nice.

(01-14-2021, 09:34 PM)Jags Wrote: I replaced my phone due to damage of my previous phone.  The iPhone 12 pro max... holy cow the pics it takes.  I’m not a photographer and my wife even [BLEEP] at me for my bad photos.  But these are fantastic.  Even night pics of the moon look nice.

Better be your wife's moon.

(01-14-2021, 10:04 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-14-2021, 09:34 PM)Jags Wrote: I replaced my phone due to damage of my previous phone.  The iPhone 12 pro max... holy cow the pics it takes.  I’m not a photographer and my wife even [BLEEP] at me for my bad photos.  But these are fantastic.  Even night pics of the moon look nice.

Better be your wife's moon.
No.  ‘‘Twas the actual one.  Previous phones I’ve had it was almost useless to take pics at the night sky.  Just didn’t do it justice.  This phone it does.  I’ll do my own justice to the moon you referenced.

(01-14-2021, 10:14 PM)Jags Wrote:
(01-14-2021, 10:04 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Better be your wife's moon.
No.  ‘‘Twas the actual one.  Previous phones I’ve had it was almost useless to take pics at the night sky.  Just didn’t do it justice.  This phone it does.  I’ll do my own justice to the moon you referenced.

A good method for taking pictures of the real moon, or anything which tends to overexpose, with an iPhone is to use AE/AF Lock function and then darken exposure adjustment. 

I'm not sure if the new iPhones operate the same as my iPhone 7, but probably do. Hold your thumb or finger on the screen over the object you're shooting and hold it there for a couple of seconds.  The picture will probably darken and an outline frame will pop up. "AE/AF LOCK" will appear at the top of the screen. The Automatic Exposure and Automatic Focus are now locked. Next to the outline frame you will see a little sun icon that can be slid up and down to change exposure. Not only does it come in handy for shooting bright objects in high dynamic settings (large contrast between the object and its surroundings) but it's also good for brightening up dark exposures. 

I'm sure the newer phones have better cameras than the one I have, but they've certainly left some controls available to the user. If the phone keeps losing focus or needs more or less exposure, give that a try. It's also really handy for doing macro shots when the area of focus is very shallow.

(01-14-2021, 10:49 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-14-2021, 10:14 PM)Jags Wrote: No.  ‘‘Twas the actual one.  Previous phones I’ve had it was almost useless to take pics at the night sky.  Just didn’t do it justice.  This phone it does.  I’ll do my own justice to the moon you referenced.

A good method for taking pictures of the real moon, or anything which tends to overexpose, with an iPhone is to use AE/AF Lock function and then darken exposure adjustment. 

I'm not sure if the new iPhones operate the same as my iPhone 7, but probably do. Hold your thumb or finger on the screen over the object you're shooting and hold it there for a couple of seconds.  The picture will probably darken and an outline frame will pop up. "AE/AF LOCK" will appear at the top of the screen. The Automatic Exposure and Automatic Focus are now locked. Next to the outline frame you will see a little sun icon that can be slid up and down to change exposure. Not only does it come in handy for shooting bright objects in high dynamic settings (large contrast between the object and its surroundings) but it's also good for brightening up dark exposures. 

I'm sure the newer phones have better cameras than the one I have, but they've certainly left some controls available to the user. If the phone keeps losing focus or needs more or less exposure, give that a try. It's also really handy for doing macro shots when the area of focus is very shallow.

I saw a moon photo that the person took x amount of photos and made a composite out of it. Not real sure what that does but it looked super cool.

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2021, 09:24 AM by homebiscuit.)

(01-15-2021, 04:54 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(01-14-2021, 10:49 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: A good method for taking pictures of the real moon, or anything which tends to overexpose, with an iPhone is to use AE/AF Lock function and then darken exposure adjustment. 

I saw a moon photo that the person took x amount of photos and made a composite out of it. Not real sure what that does but it looked super cool.

It’s called stacking, which averages out noise by the sheer number of exposures. Astrophotographers use it for long time-frame shooting as an object is tracked across the sky. They put it through a stacking program which edits out noisy and distorted shots and combines the good ones to show the most detail.

(01-15-2021, 07:56 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-15-2021, 04:54 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: I saw a moon photo that the person took x amount of photos and made a composite out of it. Not real sure what that does but it looked super cool.

It’s called stacking, which averages out noise by the sheer number of exposures. Astrophotographers use it for long time-frame shooting as an object is tracked across the sky. They put it through a stacking program which edits out noisy and distorted shots and combines the good ones to show the most detail.

Sounds about right, it looked awesome. You use some kind of telescope with a camera on it to do that?

(01-15-2021, 02:27 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(01-15-2021, 07:56 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: It’s called stacking, which averages out noise by the sheer number of exposures. Astrophotographers use it for long time-frame shooting as an object is tracked across the sky. They put it through a stacking program which edits out noisy and distorted shots and combines the good ones to show the most detail.

Sounds about right, it looked awesome. You use some kind of telescope with a camera on it to do that?

Yes, although pictures of the moon and Milky Way can be done with just a camera and the right lens. 

The biggest expense in astrophotography is the mount. People who make these beautiful pictures of nebulas and galaxies use very precise mounts which track the object to a very fine degree. Good pictures can be made with middling priced telescopes (depending on the type) and a DSLR camera. It's the mounts that make the difference. Beginner quality ones start around $600-700 and then run upwards into the thousands. Some as high as $15,000. Then there's guiding scopes, power tanks, heat tape and blankets, software, and other accoutrements which can quickly make it expensive.

I would like to get into astrophotography but I want to do it right, which places it really low on the justification vs expense factor on the priority meter.

(01-15-2021, 04:01 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-15-2021, 02:27 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Sounds about right, it looked awesome. You use some kind of telescope with a camera on it to do that?

Yes, although pictures of the moon and Milky Way can be done with just a camera and the right lens. 

The biggest expense in astrophotography is the mount. People who make these beautiful pictures of nebulas and galaxies use very precise mounts which track the object to a very fine degree. Good pictures can be made with middling priced telescopes (depending on the type) and a DSLR camera. It's the mounts that make the difference. Beginner quality ones start around $600-700 and then run upwards into the thousands. Some as high as $15,000. Then there's guiding scopes, power tanks, heat tape and blankets, software, and other accoutrements which can quickly make it expensive.

I would like to get into astrophotography but I want to do it right, which places it really low on the justification vs expense factor on the priority meter.

Yeah that's an expensive hobby.

I keep getting People Magazine delivered to my house. Address is right but has some other guys name on it. I told my wife, whoever these are meant for is definitely (I forgot the words I used for homosexual). She being the nice one says “you don’t know that”. I assured her I did. But today, I got another magazine. Addressed to the same name as the people magazine and still my address. This one is “Instyle” magazine. I’m going to assume I’m right.

(01-16-2021, 05:55 PM)Jags Wrote: I keep getting People Magazine delivered to my house.  Address is right but has some other guys name on it.  I told my wife, whoever these are meant for is definitely (I forgot the words I used for homosexual).  She being the nice one says “you don’t know that”.  I assured her I did.  But today, I got another magazine.  Addressed to the same name as the people magazine and still my address.  This one is “Instyle” magazine.  I’m going to assume I’m right.

I would be leery of that. Sounds like a scam setup maybe.

(This post was last modified: 01-16-2021, 06:36 PM by Jags.)

(01-16-2021, 06:23 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-16-2021, 05:55 PM)Jags Wrote: I keep getting People Magazine delivered to my house.  Address is right but has some other guys name on it.  I told my wife, whoever these are meant for is definitely (I forgot the words I used for homosexual).  She being the nice one says “you don’t know that”.  I assured her I did.  But today, I got another magazine.  Addressed to the same name as the people magazine and still my address.  This one is “Instyle” magazine.  I’m going to assume I’m right.

I would be leery of that. Sounds like a scam setup maybe.
??   I just thought the gay “dudes” we’ve started seeing lately gave the wrong address.  We’ve only been getting magazines.  Is that a thing?   Don’t get me wrong, I didn’t think much with the first one.  But the other did make me wonder.  But not wonder to the degree to start painting accent walls and wearing an ascot.