Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Urban Meyer Hired. It's official!

(01-18-2021, 12:49 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Justin Fields just declared.. This board is going to need a bottle of xanax soon..

Soon?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-18-2021, 01:22 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-18-2021, 12:49 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Justin Fields just declared.. This board is going to need a bottle of xanax soon..

Soon?

Xanax and Hooked on Phonics would work wonders here.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

There is so much separation between Fields and TL, I don't know how anyone could even fathom Fields being an option.

(This post was last modified: 01-18-2021, 01:29 PM by TrivialPursuit.)

(01-18-2021, 01:25 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-18-2021, 01:22 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Soon?

Xanax and Hooked on Phonics would work wonders here.

1-800-ABC-DEFG

(01-18-2021, 01:28 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: There is so much separation between Fields and TL, I don't know how anyone could even fathom Fields being an option.

Because Urban is THAT stupid.

Athleticism and zero intelligence? He's just like Tebow. I love him!

(01-18-2021, 01:13 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(01-18-2021, 11:22 AM)Upper Wrote: What a coincidence that pretty much every piece of a GREAT and the BEST staff just so happens to be people that he has worked for before. Even the strength and conditioning coach who hadn't had a job in half a decade and was doing a radio show. Surely he was the best man for the job.

What is the staff so far?

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/13...33120?s=20

https://twitter.com/BrentASJax/status/13...54528?s=20

(This post was last modified: 01-18-2021, 01:50 PM by TrivialPursuit.)

(01-18-2021, 01:45 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-18-2021, 01:13 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: What is the staff so far?

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/13...33120?s=20

https://twitter.com/BrentASJax/status/13...54528?s=20

So he hired a guy that hasn't been in football since 2014? And his one claim to fame is tackling someone who decided to storm the field (he should have been sued by that person since he's not in a position of legal authority) - though a better ending would have been: that guy he tackled was a amateur boxer who got up and beat the hell out of him.

So he's been a radio nobody for 7 years... great. Awesome hire. [BLEEP] clown show.

(01-18-2021, 11:39 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(01-18-2021, 11:12 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I know there's no convincing you, but I say this anyway: Urban Meyer has spent the last 10 years looking into what it would be like to coach in the NFL.  He has been looking into it very intensively for the last few months.  He has friends who are NFL coaches that he has talked to extensively about it, for example Bill Belichick.  Urban Meyer is not the idiot you paint him to be.  He knows what he is getting into.  

But apparently you hate the guy for some reason.  What is it?  What did he do?

Look at Upper's post right below yours as an example.

He's hiring college people for professional jobs.

He's literally hiring only people he's worked with before in college and college only. It's going to be a dumpster fire of fail.
It's very hard to argue your points regarding Meyer's lack of character. This was the reason I initially preferred one of the other candidates who'd been mentioned. Most highly successful coaches, college and professional, are typically not the greatest of human beings. For every Bobby Bowden or Tony Dungy, there are many, many more Bobby Knight's, Bill Parcells' and Bill Belichick's. 

It appears his initial assistant coaching hires are college guys he has some association with such as Charlie Strong and Chris Ash. However, Raheem Morris, Scott Linehan and Joe Cullen all have extensive NFL experience. Meyer is likely to hire two of these as his offensive and defensive coordinators. He will lean on their experience dealing with NFL players. 

I have very little doubt that Meyer will be a highly successful NFL head coach, including the winning of the Lombardi trophy. Even his many detractors don't question his coaching acumen. My one concern, however, is with his health. Only time will tell whether he has learned to deal better with the great stress which comes with being a head coach at the highest levels. It is inevitable that he will have to endure at least one year of losing until he improves the current roster. It will be interesting to see how he deals with losing during the 2021-22 season and whether his health scares in the past forced him to learn better coping skills.

(01-18-2021, 01:28 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: There is so much separation between Fields and TL, I don't know how anyone could even fathom Fields being an option.

Becuase there has to be drama.

If Fields decided to go back to college, everyone would instead be wondering if Jacksonville would use the #1 pick on Zach Wilson.  And if Wilson also stayed back, it'd be Trey Lance.  And if Lance didn't declare, it'd be Kyle Trask.  And if Trask decided to go back due to COVID or whatever, it'd be Mac Jones.  And if Mac Jones didn't decide to declare either, it'd be Kellen Mond or whoever's next up. 

Quote:TrivialPursuit

So he hired a guy that hasn't been in football since 2014? And his one claim to fame is tackling someone who decided to storm the field (he should have been sued by that person since he's not in a position of legal authority) - though a better ending would have been: that guy he tackled was a amateur boxer who got up and beat the hell out of him.

So he's been a radio nobody for 7 years... great. Awesome hire. [BLEEP] clown show.

He's been an assistant strength and conditioning coach for OSU for several years.  And he's going to be a strength and conditioning coach, not a Coordinator.  So you can relax, skippy.

(This post was last modified: 01-18-2021, 02:14 PM by TrivialPursuit.)

(01-18-2021, 02:09 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(01-18-2021, 11:39 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Look at Upper's post right below yours as an example.

He's hiring college people for professional jobs.

He's literally hiring only people he's worked with before in college and college only. It's going to be a dumpster fire of fail.
It's very hard to argue your points regarding Meyer's lack of character. This was the reason I initially preferred one of the other candidates who'd been mentioned. Most highly successful coaches, college and professional, are typically not the greatest of human beings. For every Bobby Bowden or Tony Dungy, there are many, many more Bobby Knight's, Bill Parcells' and Bill Belichick's. 

It appears his initial assistant coaching hires are college guys he has some association with such as Charlie Strong and Chris Ash. However, Raheem Morris, Scott Linehan and Joe Cullen all have extensive NFL experience. Meyer is likely to hire two of these as his offensive and defensive coordinators. He will lean on their experience dealing with NFL players. 

I have very little doubt that Meyer will be a highly successful NFL head coach, including the winning of the Lombardi trophy. Even his many detractors don't question his coaching acumen. My one concern, however, is with his health. Only time will tell whether he has learned to deal better with the great stress which comes with being a head coach at the highest levels. It is inevitable that he will have to endure at least one year of losing until he improves the current roster. It will be interesting to see how he deals with losing during the 2021-22 season and whether his health scares in the past forced him to learn better coping skills.

He doesn't have actual health concerns.

They only come up when he's losing. Others may think... awww poor Urban... I just think.. what a little [BLEEP].

(01-18-2021, 02:12 PM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote:

Becuase there has to be drama.

If Fields decided to go back to college, everyone would instead be wondering if Jacksonville would use the #1 pick on Zach Wilson.  And if Wilson also stayed back, it'd be Trey Lance.  And if Lance didn't declare, it'd be Kyle Trask.  And if Trask decided to go back due to COVID or whatever, it'd be Mac Jones.  And if Mac Jones didn't decide to declare either, it'd be Kellen Mond or whoever's next up. 

Quote:TrivialPursuit

He's been an assistant strength and conditioning coach for OSU for several years.  And he's going to be a strength and conditioning coach, not a Coordinator.  So you can relax, skippy.

And he hasn't had that job in SEVEN years. Great hire Urbs. Hire dudes that you are friendly with. They must have the same [BLEEP] character as he does

It's so Duval to lose your [BLEEP] over a S&C hire.

(This post was last modified: 01-18-2021, 02:16 PM by Upper.)

My post didn't say he was looking at college and college only, but so far (other than Raheem Morris I believe) he has only been linked with people who he has worked with before.

It seems like a guy who heavily emphasized GREAT and BEST coaching staff in his press conference might want to try reaching outside of his inner circle some more. The odds that the best people for the job are exclusively people he has worked with before are very slim.

(01-18-2021, 02:15 PM)Upper Wrote: My post didn't say he was looking at college and college only, but so far (other than Raheem Morris I believe) he has only been linked with people who he has worked with before.

It seems like a guy who heavily emphasized GREAT and BEST coaching staff in his press conference he might want to try reaching outside of his inner circle some more. The odds that the best people for the job are exclusively people he has worked with before are very slim.

He wants sycophantic morons that just will go with what he says regardless of his actual ability.

Oh, it's also very Duval to judge the franchise's entire staffing effort based on assumptions you've formed from your twitter feed w/o actually knowing who has and hasn't interviewed for any position.

(01-18-2021, 02:12 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: And he hasn't had that job in SEVEN years. Great hire Urbs. Hire dudes that you are friendly with. They must have the same [BLEEP] character as he does

Six years, and after that he started his own company and developed equipment for strength and conditioning that's used in the NFL by several teams.  

Now quick, tell me who our last Strength and Conditioning Coach was and when he got here!

(This post was last modified: 01-18-2021, 02:47 PM by TrivialPursuit.)

Well John Idzik just got fired.

Urban looked at the staff and thought.. responsible cap guy? Fire him! I'll put this team in cap hell and FORCE the move, Shad. You hired the right man to [BLEEP] over Jacksonville.

(This post was last modified: 01-18-2021, 03:17 PM by NewJagsCity.)

I think his first year might be Jimmy Johnson-esqe. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 2 to 3 wins. He might win 7 to 9 games his second year. I think his third year is where we really see some success, with perhaps an 11 to 12 game winning season, and the winning of the division. Khan is patient, plus he's not going to want to look like an idiot for not sticking with him. There will still be virus related concerns worldwide, even if it's not the current covid-19, so moving to London or anywhere else will probably not be an issue. I spoke with Nostradamus and consulted with Doctor Emmett Brown before typing this, so I know it's close to correct.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(01-18-2021, 03:15 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: I think his first year might be Jimmy Johnson-esqe.  Somewhere in the neighborhood of 2 to 3 wins. He might win 7 to 9 games his second year.  I think his third year is where we really see some success, with perhaps an 11 to 12 game winning season, and the winning of the division. Khan is patient, plus he's not going to want to look like an idiot for not sticking with him. There will still be virus related concerns worldwide, even if it's not the current covid-19, so moving to London or anywhere else will probably not be an issue. I spoke with Nostradamus and consulted with Doctor Emmett Brown before typing this, so I know it's close to correct.

IF he wins it's the Belichick / Brady situation.

Trevor Lawrence gets the wins, and Urban takes the credit.

(01-18-2021, 10:41 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: College means nothing.

I have no idea if Meyer will be a good NFL HC or not, but 57 players he coached in college went on to play in the NFL. 

It seems like college meant something to those 57 athletes.

(This post was last modified: 01-18-2021, 03:47 PM by TrivialPursuit.)

(01-18-2021, 03:42 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-18-2021, 10:41 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: College means nothing.

I have no idea if Meyer will be a good NFL HC or not, but 57 players he coached in college went on to play in the NFL. 

It seems like college meant something to those 57 athletes.

Name one of them that has had success based on intangibles rather than pure talent.

I'll wait. It's never been a QB... and don't you dare bring up Alex Smith who was a failure his first 5 years until they taught him to forget Urban

(01-18-2021, 02:25 PM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote:
(01-18-2021, 02:12 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: And he hasn't had that job in SEVEN years. Great hire Urbs. Hire dudes that you are friendly with. They must have the same [BLEEP] character as he does

Six years, and after that he started his own company and developed equipment for strength and conditioning that's used in the NFL by several teams.  

Now quick, tell me who our last Strength and Conditioning Coach was and when he got here!

Tommy Myslinski was here since 2012.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato