Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Joe Biden's America

Because it's not about minimum wage.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-04-2021, 10:35 AM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(02-04-2021, 10:27 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Yeah. The "living wage" thing is actually a bit of a stretch for me too. 

This may be where we diverge:
Regardless if you believe it should be a living wage or not, it should increase at the similar rate as inflation IMO

I can understand a menial job carrying a menial salary in certain cases, but the salary should maintain its threshold vs inflation.

I disagree.  ANY wage should be negotiated between the employer and the prospective employee.

I never said it shouldn't be. 

But if a federal minimum is to exist - that number should stay at least somewhat consistent with the changing value of the currency being paid. 

Keeping the minimum in lockstep with the rate of inflation may be too much to ask, and I understand why, but it shouldn't be allowed to stagnate and fall well behind over long stretches of time IMO. It's a delicate balance that is out of balance currently. 

It's not as easy to see in your daily life in FL where we have such a low cost of living, but it's apparent in places where housing is much more costly. It's forcing more and more honest, hard-working people below the poverty line.

(02-04-2021, 11:00 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Because it's not about minimum wage.

Bingo, Union Scale is based on minimum wage; it's all about getting higher wages in the unions. Never mind the entry level people who won't have a minimum wage job to accept or the non-union people who's wages are not tied to the MW losing years of seniority, they don't page dues so they don't really matter.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2021, 12:25 PM by The Real Marty.)

(02-04-2021, 10:11 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(02-04-2021, 10:04 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Frankly, I don't care.  If women insist on having "separate but equal" sports, where they exclude half the population, they need to deal with the consequences.  This is Megan Rapinoe's problem, not mine.  If she wants to be a warrior for social justice, while discriminating based on gender, then she's going to wind up with issues like this.

You have to explain this. Are you saying women are being discriminatory by excluding men from their sports competitions?
Yes.  
I have no sympathy for them when it comes to the question of transgendered athletes.  They want to exclude men, so they have to try to define what is a man.  
I have no sympathy for women athletes who want to be paid the same as male athletes, either.  For example, women tennis players are paid the same at Wimbledon as men tennis players, but the women play 3 sets against women while the men play 5 sets against men.  Equal pay for equal work?  What a joke.  
And Megan Rapinoe wants the US women's soccer team to be paid the same as the US men's soccer team, in spite of the fact that the women's team cannot beat a boys' high school team.  Ridiculous.  They want equal pay for work that is very unequal.

(02-04-2021, 10:27 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-04-2021, 10:11 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:

I disagree. The real culprit is the left defining the minimum wage as a living wage. It was never intended for that.

Yeah. The "living wage" thing is actually a bit of a stretch for me too. 

This may be where we diverge:
Regardless if you believe it should be a living wage or not, it should increase at the similar rate as inflation IMO. 

I can understand a menial job carrying a menial salary in certain cases, but the salary should maintain its threshold vs inflation.

I understand why you say that, because it's a neat answer and a compassionate answer, but it should not work like this.
Raising the minimum wage is an inflationary pressure.
If you set up the minimum wage (or collective bargaining wages) to increase automatically with inflation, that's a positive feedback loop, and runaway inflation is inevitable. This is a lesson that many South American countries have learned over the years.
The best way to think of the minimum wage is as a macroeconomic tool, similar to the overnight funds rate.
Set a target for inflation, and optimize the funds rate and the minimum wage to meet that target.
in the long term, the minimum wage will keep up with inflation, but in the short term, the minimum wage may have to stagnate if there are other inflationary pressures in the economy.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

The best way to look at this is to come to the conclusion that not all jobs are intended to provide a "living wage". Once everyone can agree on that, the path forward should be more clear.

The snow incident in PA was disturbingly insane.

Jen, Jen, Jen, tsk, tsk, tsk. 

If the left is going to persecute their opponents with hypersensitive rules, they must also abide by them.

Jen Psaki slammed for 'homophobic' tweet about Sen. Lindsey Graham | Fox News

So POTUS wants to open borders before opening schools?

In Joel Biden's America, Democrats voted against reciting the Pledge of Allegiance before Judiciary Committee hearings.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/democrat-...n-registry

I was really hoping the dems would be cool for a year so ammo prices would come down. It's already way too high as it stands, and this bill will probably cause another run.

(02-05-2021, 10:15 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: In Joel Biden's America, Democrats voted against reciting the Pledge of Allegiance before Judiciary Committee hearings.

The Pledge of Allegiance is a big waste of time.  Do you really think pledging allegiance on a daily basis is going to have any effect on anything?

Also, dems ignore precedent and remove MGT from committees. Nice job.

(02-04-2021, 07:57 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: The snow incident in PA was disturbingly insane.

I watched that video and immediately regretted it.  Can't stop seeing it and hearing it in my head.  That's what happens when people have been locked up too long.  I imagine the snow plus COVID-19 lockdowns did not help the killer's mental health (or the 2 who got murdered for that matter, not sure why they were all arguing over shoveling snow).

(This post was last modified: 02-05-2021, 10:51 AM by StroudCrowd1.)

(02-05-2021, 10:46 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-05-2021, 10:15 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: In Joel Biden's America, Democrats voted against reciting the Pledge of Allegiance before Judiciary Committee hearings.

The Pledge of Allegiance is a big waste of time.  Do you really think pledging allegiance on a daily basis is going to have any effect on anything?

Wow. Thank God you aren't a teacher.

(02-05-2021, 10:46 AM)KingIngram052787 Wrote:
(02-04-2021, 07:57 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: The snow incident in PA was disturbingly insane.

I watched that video and immediately regretted it.  Can't stop seeing it and hearing it in my head.  That's what happens when people have been locked up too long.  I imagine the snow plus COVID-19 lockdowns did not help the killer's mental health (or the 2 who got murdered for that matter, not sure why they were all arguing over shoveling snow).

Felt like I was watching a movie. Bad situation all around. Provides enough for either side to justify their narrative.

(02-05-2021, 10:46 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

Agreed. We're all Americans and we love this nation. Most of us know how good we have it compared to other countries on Earth. How does reciting a pledge of allegiance change anything? At a certain point it loses it meaning and just becomes something you have to do, but that in no way changes the love that you have for your country. Instead of trivial things like this, I want all branches of government to address real issues which effect American citizens. There are lots of things Biden has done and will do that has angered me. This isn't one of those things.

(This post was last modified: 02-05-2021, 02:52 PM by mikesez.)

(02-05-2021, 02:41 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-05-2021, 10:46 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: The Pledge of Allegiance is a big waste of time.  Do you really think pledging allegiance on a daily basis is going to have any effect on anything?

Agreed. We're all Americans and we love this nation. Most of us know how good we have it compared to other countries on Earth. How does reciting a pledge of allegiance change anything? At a certain point it loses it meaning and just becomes something you have to do, but that in no way changes the love that you have for your country. Instead of trivial things like this, I want all branches of government to address real issues which effect American citizens. There are lots of things Biden has done and will do that has angered me. This isn't one of those things.

The pledge adds solemnity and purpose to the beginning any meeting, whether a high school class or a city council meeting or a congressional committee. I don't agree with forcing all present to say it but I do agree with having it.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(02-05-2021, 02:49 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-05-2021, 02:41 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Agreed. We're all Americans and we love this nation. Most of us know how good we have it compared to other countries on Earth. How does reciting a pledge of allegiance change anything? At a certain point it loses it meaning and just becomes something you have to do, but that in no way changes the love that you have for your country. Instead of trivial things like this, I want all branches of government to address real issues which effect American citizens. There are lots of things Biden has done and will do that has angered me. This isn't one of those things.

The pledge adds solemnity and purpose to the beginning any meeting, whether a high school class or a city council meeting or a congressional committee.

To who? Not many people see it that way anymore. To most people, they are just words.

(02-05-2021, 10:46 AM)KingIngram052787 Wrote:

I didn’t realize there was video of it, which I have zero interest in watching.

The article I read on it two days ago said the murdered couple left behind an autistic 15-year-old son the grandparents will now care for. It’s all so terrible.