Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Stock Market under President Biden

CCIV

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-16-2021, 09:40 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: CCIV

You missed that boat already. You better have a mountain of money if you want to find some gains there. It's on the chopping block:

https://www.optionseducation.org/toolsop...ve-options
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(02-17-2021, 01:12 AM)JaG4LyFe Wrote:
(02-16-2021, 09:40 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: CCIV

You missed that boat already. You better have a mountain of money if you want to find some gains there. It's on the chopping block:

https://www.optionseducation.org/toolsop...ve-options

Naw, when they merge with lucid I think it gets closer to 100$

So I got lucky and did a re-balancing yesterday.  I took profits on my largest investments then took new positions on some (most) and opened new positions on others.  I'll probably not do anything for the next 3 or so months depending on the state of the market.  Where I got "lucky" was selling for my profit(s) while the market was up and the positions that I held were up in the double digit %.  My new positions today were pretty much flat but will grow over time.  

The day trading chasing the next "pump and dump" is a fool's game.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(02-18-2021, 07:31 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: So I got lucky and did a re-balancing yesterday.  I took profits on my largest investments then took new positions on some (most) and opened new positions on others.  I'll probably not do anything for the next 3 or so months depending on the state of the market.  Where I got "lucky" was selling for my profit(s) while the market was up and the positions that I held were up in the double digit %.  My new positions today were pretty much flat but will grow over time.  

Congrats --- personally, I'm pulling for everyone to win.

I'm up 14.5% YTD and made more than my annual salary in 45 days so I'm definitely good with my strategy as well.  ROKU, TDOC, SQ, PYPL, BABA, ONEM, VFF, CGC, TWTR, LUV, WFC, XOM and ABNB have done me well.   XPEV, LI, TSLA and PLTR not so much but my investment in those are lower.  Trust me, I feel like I'm ready to pull the plug every day and take the $$ and run but that market doesn't appear to be dead yet.  As noted before, there's still a lot of $$ to be made in some of the value stocks (CCL, NCLH, DELTA, BOA, C )..... so I'll likely make the switch in the next month and perhaps lower risk by pulling a % off the table.

(02-18-2021, 07:46 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(02-18-2021, 07:31 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: So I got lucky and did a re-balancing yesterday.  I took profits on my largest investments then took new positions on some (most) and opened new positions on others.  I'll probably not do anything for the next 3 or so months depending on the state of the market.  Where I got "lucky" was selling for my profit(s) while the market was up and the positions that I held were up in the double digit %.  My new positions today were pretty much flat but will grow over time.  

I'm up 14.5% YTD and made more than my annual salary in 45 days so I'm definitely good with my strategy as well.  ROKU, TDOC, SQ, PYPL, BABA, ONEM, VFF, CGC, TWTR, LUV, WFC, XOM and ABNB have done me well.   XPEV, LI, TSLA and PLTR not so much but my investment in those are lower.  Trust me, I feel like I'm ready to pull the plug every day and take the $$ and run but that market doesn't appear to be dead yet.  As noted before, there's still a lot of $$ to be made in some of the value stocks (CCL, NCLH, DELTA, BOA, C )..... so I'll likely make the switch in the next month and perhaps lower risk by pulling a % off the table.

Nice play with Roku. The kind of stock I usually really like but I missed it for some reason.

(This post was last modified: 02-19-2021, 02:36 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(02-19-2021, 01:21 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Nice play with Roku. The kind of stock I usually really like but I missed it for some reason.

I missed on so many early opportunities thinking it was too late but I think everyone can look back and say "what if".  The bad thing about ROKU is that we went streaming 2 years ago and I bought 6 Rokus to replace our comcast DVRs so it's been on my radar for quite a while -- shares were selling at ~ $40.   I got in when it dipped 20% in November ($220) but still look back .... lol

We're 3-4 years from retirement so we just need to make the most of these days and then place things on cruise control as we're eating Pho Soup in Thailand or drinking a local beer on the coast of Croatia.  .... in the meantime, I'll stick to take-out and youtube travel videos.

QUICK UPDATE --- just pulled 65% of my stocks off the table at noon today - left most of my value/recovery stocks on the table.  Time to sit back a few days to rest and regroup.

(02-19-2021, 09:48 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(02-19-2021, 01:21 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Nice play with Roku. The kind of stock I usually really like but I missed it for some reason.

I missed on so many early opportunities thinking it was too late but I think everyone can look back and say "what if".  The bad thing about ROKU is that we went streaming 2 years ago and I bought 6 Rokus to replace our comcast DVRs so it's been on my radar for quite a while -- shares were selling at ~ $40.   I got in when it dipped 20% in November ($220) but still look back .... lol

We're 3-4 years from retirement so we just need to make the most of these days and then place things on cruise control as we're eating Pho Soup in Thailand or drinking a local beer on the coast of Croatia.  .... in the meantime, I'll stick to take-out and youtube travel videos.

QUICK UPDATE --- just pulled 65% of my stocks off the table at noon today - left most of my value/recovery stocks on the table.  Time to sit back a few days to rest and regroup.

Haha yeah, that's exactly what I mean, same story here.

(This post was last modified: 02-19-2021, 04:39 PM by TrivialPursuit.)

(02-18-2021, 07:46 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

I'm personally pulling for everyone involved in the stock market to fail and lose everything, hopefully their families will starve as well.

Fight Club reset to zero time.

(02-19-2021, 04:39 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(02-18-2021, 07:46 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Congrats --- personally, I'm pulling for everyone to win.

I'm personally pulling for everyone involved in the stock market to fail and lose everything, hopefully their families will starve as well.

In a sick and deranged kind of way, your comments are somewhat refreshing.  I just sold off my tech stocks at noon today so if the NASDAQ crashes, I'll be there waiting to buy the dip.

.... just need Biden to mention something about raising interest rates (when he gets up from his nap).

(02-19-2021, 05:05 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(02-19-2021, 04:39 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: I'm personally pulling for everyone involved in the stock market to fail and lose everything, hopefully their families will starve as well.

In a sick and deranged kind of way, your comments are somewhat refreshing.  I just sold off my tech stocks at noon today so if the NASDAQ crashes, I'll be there waiting to buy the dip.

.... just need Biden to mention something about raising interest rates (when he gets up from his nap).

News flash for you... the President no matter who it is has no control over interest rates.

News flash 2.0 for you... interest rates are already going up.

Expect interest rates to rise along with the prices of a lot of things to go up.  Inflation is settling in right now.  Pumping trillions of "printed money" (stimulus) into the economy is making things worse.  Add to that the forced rise in petroleum due to domestic production down.  The bubble is going to pop soon.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(02-19-2021, 05:48 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(02-19-2021, 05:05 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: In a sick and deranged kind of way, your comments are somewhat refreshing.  I just sold off my tech stocks at noon today so if the NASDAQ crashes, I'll be there waiting to buy the dip.

News flash for you... the President no matter who it is has no control over interest rates.

Expect interest rates to rise along with the prices of a lot of things to go up.  Inflation is settling in right now.  Pumping trillions of "printed money" (stimulus) into the economy is making things worse.  Add to that the forced rise in petroleum due to domestic production down.  The bubble is going to pop soon.

Obviously, we don’t know when “soon” is.  If this question derails the thread, by all means delete it.  How soon do you feel that will happen?   The Mrs and I have an appointment to meet the financial advisor early April.  (First chance we had where both of us can meet him). In preparation, we’ve even paid off a car, tossed a storage slip and canceled a few needless [BLEEP].  That between what we normally do contribute and the normal extra money-we’dhave and  would be wiser to give him, adds up considerably.    We’re in good hands with him.  He’s set up a few family members nicely, but I’m not exactly known for my patience.   Just curious to see how far out you foresee the bubble popping.  Would be really nice if it’s a month or so out before we start dumping a poop ton out for retirement, near future land purchase and what not.  

We all have our skill sets.  I know a lot about many things.  Master at only a couple.  Much like all of us.  But investing is not even on my list.  Might as well speak Mandarin to me.

(02-19-2021, 06:57 PM)Jags Wrote:
(02-19-2021, 05:48 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: News flash for you... the President no matter who it is has no control over interest rates.

Obviously, we don’t know when “soon” is.  If this question derails the thread, by all means delete it.  How soon do you feel that will happen?   The Mrs and I have an appointment to meet the financial advisor early April.  (First chance we had where both of us can meet him). In preparation, we’ve even paid off a car, tossed a storage slip and canceled a few needless [BLEEP].  That between what we normally do contribute and the normal extra money-we’dhave and  would be wiser to give him, adds up considerably.    We’re in good hands with him.  He’s set up a few family members nicely, but I’m not exactly known for my patience.   Just curious to see how far out you foresee the bubble popping.  Would be really nice if it’s a month or so out before we start dumping a poop ton out for retirement, near future land purchase and what not.  

We all have our skill sets.  I know a lot about many things.  Master at only a couple.  Much like all of us.  But investing is not even on my list.  Might as well speak Mandarin to me.

Really I wish that I could give you a good answer.  If I could give a correct answer I wouldn't be sitting at my PC checking out the message board.  If you want my guess?  I would say that something is going to pop by the end of the year or into 2022.

tldr;  The current government is destroying our economy.

First concern is government pumping money into the economy.  The "stimulus" checks that some people are getting is not "free money".  The government doesn't have a "checking account" able to spend whatever it wants.  The money has to come from somewhere and "giving" people more money pretty much makes the value of the dollar go down.  Yes people that get this "free" money will spend it somehow for the most part, but that doesn't boost the economy at all.  The "free" money comes from taxes paid by EVERYONE.  When government says that they are going to increase the "corporate tax" all it means is that the price of things will go up.

The second HUGE concern is the price of oil/petroleum.  One big factor is shutting down the Keystone Pipeline.  It not only killed thousands of jobs, but it also raises the cost of fuel.  Look at it this way, it does nothing to "save" or preserve the environment.  Rather than pumping thousands of gallons of oil through a pipeline from Canada to refineries in the U.S. the oil has to be moved via truck and/or rail which burns how much fuel?  In the long run shutting down the pipeline is actually more damaging to the environment.  The higher cost to transport and refine crude is going to drive prices up at the pump for everyone.

Third, housing prices have once again skyrocketed.  New home prices are higher because of the demand for materials which is down because of the China virus.  Once the supply chain levels off, the value will drop.  The higher value of homes here in Florida is driven up because of demand from people fleeing high-tax states such as New York.  The same is happening in places like Texas.

There are a lot more things going on and if you do the research you will find that the outlook isn't pretty.  Open your eyes and see what is going on around you.

That's my best advice.

(This post was last modified: 02-19-2021, 08:29 PM by Jags.)

(02-19-2021, 07:53 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(02-19-2021, 06:57 PM)Jags Wrote: Obviously, we don’t know when “soon” is.  If this question derails the thread, by all means delete it.  How soon do you feel that will happen?   The Mrs and I have an appointment to meet the financial advisor early April.  (First chance we had where both of us can meet him). In preparation, we’ve even paid off a car, tossed a storage slip and canceled a few needless [BLEEP].  That between what we normally do contribute and the normal extra money-we’dhave and  would be wiser to give him, adds up considerably.    We’re in good hands with him.  He’s set up a few family members nicely, but I’m not exactly known for my patience.   Just curious to see how far out you foresee the bubble popping.  Would be really nice if it’s a month or so out before we start dumping a poop ton out for retirement, near future land purchase and what not.  

Really I wish that I could give you a good answer.  If I could give a correct answer I wouldn't be sitting at my PC checking out the message board.  If you want my guess?  I would say that something is going to pop by the end of the year or into 2022.

tldr;  The current government is destroying our economy.

First concern is government pumping money into the economy.  The "stimulus" checks that some people are getting is not "free money".  The government doesn't have a "checking account" able to spend whatever it wants.  The money has to come from somewhere and "giving" people more money pretty much makes the value of the dollar go down.  Yes people that get this "free" money will spend it somehow for the most part, but that doesn't boost the economy at all.  The "free" money comes from taxes paid by EVERYONE.  When government says that they are going to increase the "corporate tax" all it means is that the price of things will go up.

The second HUGE concern is the price of oil/petroleum.  One big factor is shutting down the Keystone Pipeline.  It not only killed thousands of jobs, but it also raises the cost of fuel.  Look at it this way, it does nothing to "save" or preserve the environment.  Rather than pumping thousands of gallons of oil through a pipeline from Canada to refineries in the U.S. the oil has to be moved via truck and/or rail which burns how much fuel?  In the long run shutting down the pipeline is actually more damaging to the environment.  The higher cost to transport and refine crude is going to drive prices up at the pump for everyone.

Third, housing prices have once again skyrocketed.  New home prices are higher because of the demand for materials which is down because of the China virus.  Once the supply chain levels off, the value will drop.  The higher value of homes here in Florida is driven up because of demand from people fleeing high-tax states such as New York.  The same is happening in places like Texas.

There are a lot more things going on and if you do the research you will find that the outlook isn't pretty.  Open your eyes and see what is going on around you.

That's my best advice.

I agree with pretty much all you said.  With maybe an acception on the trains.  It is my understanding they can go upwards to 500 miles or so on a single gallon of diesel.  Sounds impressive to me. Especially considering the amount they’re hauling.  So however impactful that is, idk.  But yes, you’re right on the others.  Doesn’t look good overall.  Guess I’ll let my guy figure it out after he finds out what we are looking to do long and short term.  I love numbers.  I get off on finding out stupid stuff like how “off” I am on the taxes we owe being by a hundred or so.  Just looking to crunch numbers I suppose. I look for info and go to town.   Ugh, patience IS NOT my thing.

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2021, 11:01 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(02-19-2021, 06:57 PM)Jags Wrote: Obviously, we don’t know when “soon” is.  If this question derails the thread, by all means delete it.  How soon do you feel that will happen?   

The NASDAQ is up 10% YTD whereas the DOW is only up ~ 3.5% so I personally think there's going to be a move to the DOW recovery/value stocks that are still lagging behind what they truly were in Feb 2020.  Stocks like WFC, BA, UAL, and CCL are still down in excess of 30% from their highs in Feb 2020.  I just cashed in my tech, social media, weed, and EV stocks and will be heading over the airlines, banks, cruise lines, and oil (to a certain extent).  Already had UAL, XOM, WFC but will add $$ to those and others.  I expect the public wave to make the switch over the next month and many have already done so over the past few weeks. 

One tool that i use is to click on the following link to see where the stock is in comparison with the "5-year" tab.  You will notice WFC averaged $50 to $55 per share over the past 5 years but is now at $37.  Knowing our Gov is supporting banks, airlines, etc. these types of stocks will get back to their prior level ... meaning WFC should have over 35% upside over the next year or 2.  I do this for 50+ stocks ..... there are also various stock forecasts sites to use as secondary tools.

.... at the end of the day, listen to your advisor since they will know you entire financial situation.  I was a former Asst. Controller for a large company in DC so I need to be 100% in control of my finances.

Pull this link up and click on the 5-year option so see the trend ... as noted above, i do this for all of the stocks I'm researching....
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHJ...CA0&uact=5

I also use this to see what analysts are predicting (which could be in conflict with my predictions .... lol)
https://money.cnn.com/quote/forecast/for...of%2037.37.

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2021, 11:08 AM by The Real Marty.)

(02-19-2021, 05:48 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(02-19-2021, 05:05 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: In a sick and deranged kind of way, your comments are somewhat refreshing.  I just sold off my tech stocks at noon today so if the NASDAQ crashes, I'll be there waiting to buy the dip.

But I wonder, how much can interest rates go up without causing an immense problem paying the interest on the federal debt?  I know a lot of federal debt is long term, but it is being rolled over all the time, and higher interest rates make the deficits worse by increasing the interest on the debt.  In addition, higher interest rates slow the economy, thereby reducing tax receipts.  

My theory is, the powers that be will allow inflation to reduce the value of the debt in real terms.  The hidden tax of inflation will be used against the debt on purpose.  They will keep interest rates down by monetizing the debt, and that is inflationary.  

So my thinking is, the powers that be will realize that inflation might be much more palatable than raising interest rates.  

Gold, real estate, and stocks are where you will want to be.

Normally, I would issue a disclaimer at this point, but in the spirit of this message board, I am going to act like I have total confidence in my prediction.  

I'm dinkn and dunkn till August...wish me luck!!!

(02-20-2021, 11:04 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-19-2021, 05:48 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: News flash for you... the President no matter who it is has no control over interest rates.

But I wonder, how much can interest rates go up without causing an immense problem paying the interest on the federal debt?  I know a lot of federal debt is long term, but it is being rolled over all the time, and higher interest rates make the deficits worse by increasing the interest on the debt.  In addition, higher interest rates slow the economy, thereby reducing tax receipts.  

My theory is, the powers that be will allow inflation to reduce the value of the debt in real terms.  The hidden tax of inflation will be used against the debt on purpose.  They will keep interest rates down by monetizing the debt, and that is inflationary.  

So my thinking is, the powers that be will realize that inflation might be much more palatable than raising interest rates.  

Gold, real estate, and stocks are where you will want to be.

Normally, I would issue a disclaimer at this point, but in the spirit of this message board, I am going to act like I have total confidence in my prediction.  

You make a very good point, especially with the way that the current administration wants to spend.

I'm currently around 85% in on stocks and real estate with around 15% in cash.  I took profits on my largest position (tech sector) and entered new positions in energy and financials.  Small caps have also been doing very well for me.

I'm not a trader I'm an investor.  I don't move around too much and tend to hold my positions for a good period of time.  I did reach a milestone that I am happy about.  After working on my taxes it was revealed to me that I actually made more investing than I did from working.  Granted 2020 is certainly not a "normal" year for the stock market, but I did make some good decisions and took advantage of the current V shaped recovery.

What are we doing with PLTR Hurricane? I have a target @ 29. I'm not letting go of FSR and NET so I have about a 1000 to throw at it

(This post was last modified: 02-22-2021, 10:03 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(02-21-2021, 01:01 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: What are we doing with PLTR Hurricane? I have a target @ 29. I'm not letting go of FSR and NET so I have about a 1000 to throw at it

Good question.  I was prepared to dump PLTR in a day or 2 (after buying the 15% dip) but everything that I've read about them reflects a lot of upside so I may double down on my investment.  Funny you mention FSR because that was another one that is getting a lot of love.  I haven't looked at NET until now but that looks like a serious buy as well.  Something also keeps telling me to go back to QS, given their future potential.  I'm leaning toward the recovery/value stocks moving ahead but I may defer a bit on the airlines given the 2 Boeing incidents this weekend.

Dang..... my plan was to kick back and relax for a week but I think I need to make ~ 5 to 7 buys tomorrow.  Every Sunday at 6pm (ET) is like Christmas for me as the extended trading opens back up and I can see if the Dow/Nasdaq/S&P500 Implied Opens are pointing up or down.  lol

UPDATE:  PLTR seems to have the attention of the Reddit community.  Let's see if that translates to any strong gains.  Right now, it's down during premarket (actually went up 3% by 9am), as is everything else.  People could be selling off and taking profits. Last week was down then we had a decent spike Friday a.m. on the Janet Yellen news of the stimulus support, then it went back down in the afternoon.  Perhaps this really is a good week to sit back and let the market play out (reverting back to my Friday thoughts when I sold off 60% at noon but kept PLTR and bought the RXT 16% dip).