Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Sidney Jones Traded?

Jones was burnt toast all Preseason, I'm surprised we got a pick for him. Herndon of 100% is easily our 3rd corner and a decent nickel

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-30-2021, 08:35 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Such a stupid move! I would expect nothing less from an idiot GM like Trent Baalke though.

Lol, did you watch Jones this Preseason?  He got burned every game and was burned more than any corner on this team

(This post was last modified: 08-31-2021, 05:58 AM by The Real Marty.)

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/sidne...ornerback/

Quote:  

Jaguars: B
Let's not beat around the bush. What this deal hinges on is the health of Jones. If he struggles to stay healthy yet again, then the Jaguars clearly win this deal. After being selected by the Philadelphia Eagles in the second round of the 2017 NFL Draft and playing just one game in his rookie season, a hamstring issue hampered Jones over his next two seasons. So much so that he was released by the Eagles before the start of the 2020 campaign. Jones was even injured in his "breakout" season for lack of a better descriptor.

The Jaguars have CJ Henderson back healthy and then acquired former Seahawk Shaquill Griffin in free agency. Jones was going to be a depth player -- and the Jaguars have some young talent at the position. Plus, acquiring a sixth-round pick is better than a seventh-round pick.

(This post was last modified: 08-31-2021, 06:24 AM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-31-2021, 05:58 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/sidne...ornerback/

Quote:  

Jaguars: B
Let's not beat around the bush. What this deal hinges on is the health of Jones. If he struggles to stay healthy yet again, then the Jaguars clearly win this deal. After being selected by the Philadelphia Eagles in the second round of the 2017 NFL Draft and playing just one game in his rookie season, a hamstring issue hampered Jones over his next two seasons. So much so that he was released by the Eagles before the start of the 2020 campaign. Jones was even injured in his "breakout" season for lack of a better descriptor.

The Jaguars have CJ Henderson back healthy and then acquired former Seahawk Shaquill Griffin in free agency. Jones was going to be a depth player -- and the Jaguars have some young talent at the position. Plus, acquiring a sixth-round pick is better than a seventh-round pick.
I disagree with this, he was cut because of his play.  Whether his poor play was because of an injury, I'm not sure but he was horrible in Preseason. Was getting roasted all preseason by 2nd and 3rd stringers

At the end of the day, if he wasn't going to make the roster for whatever reason, getting a pick for him isn't a bad thing, wherever that pick falls.

Yeah, health is a big factor too. Lol, he probably already hurt.

https://twitter.com/BCBCouch/status/1432...96293?s=20

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

https://twitter.com/jamalagnew/status/14...68160?s=20

Maybe he is thanking the Jaguars for another chance.

Maybe he is thanking the Jaguars for trading him to Seattle.

I would say hes probably grateful. He goes from a rebuilding team with lots of uncertainties, to a more talented team that is a contender for the playoffs this season.

He was one of our better CBs.

NH3...
"AZANE"

There was talk of us talking to teams about trading Henderson so im guessing hes staying and Jones was the odd guy out.

He was solid last season for us and i rate him above Herndon. 

Be interesting to see what we do with all these 6th round picks.

(08-30-2021, 10:22 PM)JAGs Nation Wrote: All I saw during the 3 preseason games was Sydney Jones getting torched ... Time after time.  If he was scheduled to get cut tomorrow, getting something for him is a great move.  What I saw wasn't worth keeping, especially have the 1st waiver claim on every player waived.

zactly this. It is the same move as we made with Minshew, but nobody soiled their shorts over that move.

Jones wasn't our future at the position. He had plenty of opportunity to convince the new bosses that he was worth keeping, and failed to do so. We got ourselves a sammich of some meat-adjacent substance instead of cutting him and ending up with nothing.

We're in a build. ground up. We're going to see some of the old guard get gone. Let's just hope we get some value out of the picks we're hoarding.

(08-30-2021, 08:36 PM)Jags@dajugular Wrote: Man, this board has a bunch of buzz killers, someone, we got for nothing we get a draft pick. When you look at it truthfully your top three corners are Griffen, Henderson and Campbell then who Herndon if Jones ain't starting what is the loss. Your not touching the top three because of draft capital and money invested

I'm definately surprised by this move BUT I Concur  w/your sentiments. Hopefully it won't come back to bite us in the @$$.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(08-30-2021, 09:36 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(08-30-2021, 08:36 PM)Jags@dajugular Wrote: Man, this board has a bunch of buzz killers, someone, we got for nothing we get a draft pick. When you look at it truthfully your top three corners are Griffen, Henderson and Campbell then who Herndon if Jones ain't starting what is the loss. Your not touching the top three because of draft capital and money invested

Right now, Jones is better than Campbell, and is certainly better than just about any 6th rounder we could hope to draft.

A little disappointment is expected.

Granted, this team is very early into a longer term rebuild, so it makes some sense to accumulate draft picks.

Nevertheless, I don't see the gain in trading Jones.

[Emphasis added.]  The problem is that we can't keep trading existing players for draft picks that are highly likely to result in lesser talent.  That's not the way to rebuild.  In fact, that's a great strategy to remain a rebuilding team indefinitely.

(08-30-2021, 10:22 PM)JAGs Nation Wrote: All I saw during the 3 preseason games was Sydney Jones getting torched ... Time after time.  If he was scheduled to get cut tomorrow, getting something for him is a great move.  What I saw wasn't worth keeping, especially have the 1st waiver claim on every player waived.

People that didn't like this move our the guys that didn't watch the preseason games and just remembered the couple good games he had with us last year.  His play regressed more than any player on the team from last year and not to mention the injury history

(08-31-2021, 07:17 AM)Bullseye Wrote: https://twitter.com/BCBCouch/status/1432...96293?s=20

With Baalke it makes sense. Stockpiling all the day 3 picks allows him to grab up all the guys with torn ACLs that no other team will touch.
[Image: badbaalke.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 08-31-2021, 09:43 AM by Bullseye. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-31-2021, 09:09 AM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(08-30-2021, 09:36 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Right now, Jones is better than Campbell, and is certainly better than just about any 6th rounder we could hope to draft.

Granted, this team is very early into a longer term rebuild, so it makes some sense to accumulate draft picks.

[Emphasis added.]  The problem is that we can't keep trading existing players for draft picks that are highly likely to result in lesser talent.  That's not the way to rebuild.  In fact, that's a great strategy to remain a rebuilding team indefinitely.

Agreed completely.

As I said earlier, the odds of getting a 6th rounder to produce at Sidney Jone' level is low.  Granted, Jones did not have a good game against the Saints.  But for the bulk of his Jaguars career, he vastly outperformed a 6th round pick.

At this point, I have to think Baalke intends to stockpile picks to move up in the next draft.  If that is the ultimate goal, then I might be okay with this.

But if not, if the goal is to just stockpile 3rd day picks for no apparent reason, then it was a mistake getting rid of Jones, even with the bad game against New Orleans.

(08-31-2021, 09:31 AM)Sibelius Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 07:17 AM)Bullseye Wrote: https://twitter.com/BCBCouch/status/1432...96293?s=20

With Baalke it makes sense. Stockpiling all the day 3 picks allows him to grab up all the guys with torn ACLs that no other team will touch.

But he's willing to do that with second and third round picks (Walker Little, Cisco).  If only he were willing to do that with the Tennessee OG that went to KC.  But he had no torn ACL

(08-31-2021, 09:19 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

People that didn't like this move our the guys that didn't watch the preseason games and just remembered the couple good games he had with us last year.  His play regressed more than any player on the team from last year and not to mention the injury history

I know he had a bad game against New Orleans.

But he's had way more good games with us than bad, and the odds are he'll be better than any 6th rounder we could get.

(08-31-2021, 07:57 AM)JagFan81 Wrote: There was talk of us talking to teams about trading Henderson so im guessing hes staying and Jones was the odd guy out.

He was solid last season for us and i rate him above Herndon. 

Be interesting to see what we do with all these 6th round picks.

Knowing Baalke's history, I have to think moving up is a possibility.

(08-31-2021, 09:09 AM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(08-30-2021, 09:36 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Right now, Jones is better than Campbell, and is certainly better than just about any 6th rounder we could hope to draft.

I liked him, too.  But I don't know how the coaches felt about him.  And if he was 5th on the CB depth chart, then I could justify the trade.

(08-31-2021, 08:12 AM)Mikey Wrote:

zactly this. It is the same move as we made with Minshew, but nobody soiled their shorts over that move.

Jones wasn't our future at the position. He had plenty of opportunity to convince the new bosses that he was worth keeping, and failed to do so. We got ourselves a sammich of some meat-adjacent substance instead of cutting him and ending up with nothing.

We're in a build. ground up. We're going to see some of the old guard get gone. Let's just hope we get some value out of the picks we're hoarding.

We had a better guy ahead of Minshew, and arguably a better guy behind Minshew.  I can't think of anyone saying Minshew should start over Trevor Lawrence because he was the better player.  Some felt as long as the OL could not pass protect, Minshew should start to take the abuse until the OL could get it together enough to not get TL killed, but nobody thought he should start over TL on the pure merits.

Even with his bad game against New Orleans, there are plenty who see Jones is a better alternative than Herndon or even Campbell, and he's likely to be better than any 6th rounder we could get.

That's the difference.